Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I meant was it could be at least described a little better. The way he's put it there seems like you give or take 10, that's it. Maybe I'm being a little too picky, but I certainly would be confused if I were a new member reading that and found it worked out completely differently as described.

Thanks Famine, you are a GOD!
So... before I would have given 12 rep points, but now I am 2 points away from givig 13?

I think that's the stock blurb - but you're right, it's not quite accurate.

Rogue - you give 2 points a time. 1 for your first year of membership, 1 for having a thousand posts and none for your own reputation level as you don't, at the moment, have 20 points. If you had reputation 20 points, you'd give 3 points a time.

I thought the minimum you could give was 10. Then additional points for posts/rep that you have.

So Rouge would give 12.

My head hurts. :indiff:

DQuaN
I thought the minimum you could give was 10. Then additional points for posts/rep that you have.

So Rouge would give 12.

My head hurts. :indiff:

Then I would be giving 77 points each time. Which isn't the case.

But then, what if a total new member gives rep? Does he give nothing?
And how do you know how many points you give?

Rogue Ssv
But then, what if a total new member gives rep? Does he give nothing?
And how do you know how many points you give?

You know by the formula I just gave you above.

New member:
1 for membership tenure (up to 1 year)
0 for thousandth posts
0 for each 20 reputation points
= 1 point of repping power.

Plus of course he can't GIVE reputation points until his 100th post.

Ah... that sucks...
But then I must have been given points by some kind of prominent members.. or just a lot of members

Your most recent positive rep got you 29 points - the person rating you believed that your post was helpful to another member. But it's worth noting that you've had 18 different comments left and have only gained 3 points over the default newbie level, even with this single large-ish dose of points. Remove that one and it's 17 comments for -26 points (-16 overall) - not a good hit rate.

So that means I only give 3 points at a time? That seems a bit small. In that case, I might as well stop giving rep out at all, if that's all the difference it makes.

I make it 4.

1 for membership (up to 1 year)
2 for thousandth posts
1 for 20 reputation points.

Famine
I make it 4.

1 for membership (up to 1 year)
2 for thousandth posts
1 for 20 reputation points.
So you already get 1 for the first year of membership? I figured it had to be at LEAST a year to get the point. Ok I got it now, thanks.
dann
I thought there was a minimum of 10.
If that were true, famine would be giving out 77 points instead of 67.

PERFECT BALANCE
So you already get 1 for the first year of membership? I figured it had to be at LEAST a year to get the point. Ok I got it now, thanks

Rep me and I'll tell you for sure... :D

[/Rep-whoring]

That's certainly true - but it would settle the "10 point minimum" issue :D

Famine
That's certainly true - but it would settle the "10 point minimum" issue :D
[sarcam]How about we make a deal, I'll give you rep so you can find out if the 10 point minimum is true, and you rep me 5 times to see if you can really give me the badge that quick.👍👍[/sarcasm]

:lol: Nice try :lol:. Honestly the badge doesn't mean much to the more regular members here, before the rep system and now I knew who the good posters were and I still do, some have the badge some don't, but I still think they're good posters.

live4speed
:lol: Nice try :lol:. Honestly the badge doesn't mean much to the more regular members here, before the rep system and now I knew who the good posters were and I still do, some have the badge some don't, but I still think they're good posters.
I'm quite a "regular" member here, and I was here before the badge was introduced.

I know the badge doesnt mean that much, but it would make me feel a little more special with a "guides editor" AND a "quality posts" badge. I tend to pay more attention to what users with the badge have to say.

If you want a new badge, Perfect Balance, there's always a nice yellow one for sale ;)

live4speed
I knew who the good posters were and I still do, some have the badge some don't, but I still think they're good posters.
Exactly. It's not too hard to figure out who makes "quality posts" and who does not. You don't need to see a badge to figure that out. I've seen some new people come to GTP and make excellent posts right off the bat. And of coruse they're not going to have that elusive green badge, but they get one in my book :)

Aaaaaaand now Im back down to 13 points...
My past is haunting me!!!
God I wish I had taken this more seriously before I got banned...

The thing to remember is simply not to post too much, that may sound ironic coming from the second highest poster on GTP, the point is valid. It's whether you post for the sake of it, or you post a meaningful post to add to the threads discussion. Everyone at some point posts comments that don't add to the thread, be it a quip or just something a bit random, I'd think everyone has done that at some point but there's a difference when it's every other post. I will take this opportunity to say that you have made massive improvements since you first started and you are a likeable member in my opinion, you just need to take your time more so that the past does go away and that reputation you have will go with it.

live4speed
The thing to remember is simply not to post too much, that may sound ironic coming from the second highest poster on GTP, the point is valid. It's whether you post for the sake of it, or you post a meaningful post to add to the threads discussion. Everyone at some point posts comments that don't add to the thread, be it a quip or just something a bit random, I'd think everyone has done that at some point but there's a difference when it's every other post. I will take this opportunity to say that you have made massive improvements since you first started and you are a likeable member in my opinion, you just need to take your time more so that the past does go away and that reputation you have will go with it.
I 100% agree.

And a post like this wasn't necessary for example. We don't NEED to know every time you go up/down in rep. In fact, keeping it to yourself will probably prevent yourself from receiving neg rep a little better. ;)

Rogue Ssv
Dude, not many of us care if you lose a few points. Imporve your post quality. And if you want to do that, look at the Quality Posts badge-wearers as examples. People gain or lose points on a regular basis, and announcing your rep point total to everyone is, IMHO, not a real smart move.

PB
You have enough points anyways. You have so much, you could get me the badge in 5 clicks of rep.
Yeah, and if everyone on GTP went on a flat-out neg-repping assault on Famine, he would still have the Quality Posts badge. I swear, he's the new Chuck Norris.

You know, what would happen if Famine got to the point of giving out 300 points per repping?

I've just received a posrep. The member who rated me has the following stats, by my method of calculating it:

2 points - in 2nd year of membership
1 point - for thousandth post
2 points - for 20 reputation points
Total = 5

My reputation score went up by... 5.

That seems to be the correct method of working out how much you'll give then.

Famine

My reputation score went up by... 5.

That rules me out, then ;)

But seriously, the way to get the points is also to say the right thing at the right time. Most of my posts are less than 10 lines long, yet people who understand my to-the-point sarcasm seem to think I'm doing a good job at it. ;)

That and that I like listening to t.A.T.u.

Ok, I'm on my second year of membership, with more than 2000 posts, and 134 rep points.

2 points - for every thousandth post
2 points - for every year of membership
6 points - for the rep points.
=
10 points per repping.

I guess Famine is right. Again.

So you get more points if Famine reps you.
I suppose it works the other way also, you do not want bad rep from Famine.
I still have issues with people saying I have posted a good post but not giving rep for it.
I think the rep system is biased towards members that have friends as members here or have become freindly due to being members here.

Will I get reputation by going out and giving rep to posts and hoping that it gives rep points for me as a return of the rep I gave? I hope the system is above that and does not work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back