Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Pako. Now you have that badge and an awesome PC, what more could a man want? :D

Congrats to Carl. and Dunc too! :cheers:

Thanks! :cheers:

amp88, that's a shame. I've never used the red tick to give negative rep points, and I don't think I'll ever use it. I'll click the report button for spam or gross misconduct, but that's about it. If someting isn't breaking anything in the AUP, but is bothering me enough, I'll post a reply or send a pm.

I believe the system works much better with rewards than slaps on the wrists...

Maybe, but I haven't noticed a big difference. It probably also helps that some of the badge wearers had a lot of help from "outside sources". :indiff:
If you have any specific information about this, please PM me to discuss it. Thanks.

Maybe, but I haven't noticed a big difference. It probably also helps that some of the badge wearers had a lot of help from "outside sources". :indiff:

and might you also name who the badge wearers with outside help may be? It really sucks when you say "some of them" but not mention them by names... everyone can feel thrown into the same group here.

Diego440
and might you also name who the badge wearers with outside help may be? It really sucks when you say "some of them" but not mention them by names... everyone can feel thrown into the same group here.
The mods can look and see who reps what; don't worry about that. And I will say straight out that logrolling - repping your friends and having them rep you in return - will not be tolerated. It will be a quick way to lose all your rep points and gain a warning.

Duke
The mods can look and see who reps what; don't worry about that. And I will say straight out that logrolling - repping your friends and having them rep you in return - will not be tolerated. It will be a quick way to lose all your rep points and gain a warning.

Yes I agree, shouldn't this be added to the AUP now? I just looked in AUP and cant see it.

I agree on the issue of friends repping each other. Add it to the AUP, it's necessary.

By the way, congrats to you, Carl.! My prediction was right :)

Its not on the AUP?
Anyway. Congratz Carl. you really deserve it!👍
Also, Jordan, have you found a way to view our rep point history from our user CP yet? Because I have gone in a mere 1 hour from a 3-day-long lapse of negative 11 (:scared:) points to positive 18, and I want to know why.
If its simply impossible, no problem :indiff:

Rogue Ssv
Its not on the AUP?
Anyway. Congratz Carl. you really deserve it!👍
Also, Jordan, have you found a way to view our rep point history from our user CP yet? Because I have gone in a mere 1 hour from a 3-day-long lapse of negative 11 (:scared:) points to positive 18, and I want to know why.
If its simply impossible, no problem :indiff:
If you want to see what post got repped, just go through your post clicking on the Red Check.

Rogue Ssv
What, all 1100 of them?
It sucks, but that is the only way as far as I know. I got a postive rep couple of days ago, so I checked my last 20 or so posts(red checks), then I gave up. :D Must've been for a post from while back.

3-Wheel Drive
How many points does each individual rep give?

10 + 1 for every year the member giving the rep has been a member + 1 for every 1000 posts the member giving the rep has made.

So, a member who joined two years ago and has 4500 posts will give you 16 rep points.

I've been unchanged for quite some time now. 18 points. Although I try. Whatever...

I'm guessing that you, amp is going to be the next badge wearer. My prediction's proven to be true for now.

amp88
10 + 1 for every year the member giving the rep has been a member + 1 for every 1000 posts the member giving the rep has made.

So, a member who joined two years ago and has 4500 posts will give you 16 rep points.

Looks like the max possible then, would be from PunkRock, with a whopping 31 points. :eek:

Famine would give the most I think, You give more points if you have more points, Famine would give 60+ I would think.

VIPERGTSR01
Famine would give the most I think, You give more points if you have more points, Famine would give 60+ I would think.
Yip.

Famine
I am the current single biggest repper at GTPlanet. I can give 64 points a time - but I cannot remove more than 20 points a time. This is the maximum limit of negative reputation points.
That was almost a month ago now though, so I think he'll probably be able to give out more. :)

VIPERGTSR01

I didn't know the number of rep points a user has came into the equation. Do you know exactly how the number of rep points given increases with a user's reputation?

Not exactly, but it is so complicated, only Chuck Norris really understands (or Jack Bauer, depending on your politics...)

It also takes into account the length of time you've been a member too...

Ask Small_Fryz, he figured out a equation in one of our many msn chatrooms.

I reckon the easiest way to figure it out is for everyone to rep me and I'll tell you how many extra points I get :D

J/K

If number of rep points do come into the equation (and it seems they do), perhaps the number is something along the lines of:

10 + (1 for every year the member giving rep has been a member) + (1 for every 1000 posts the member giving rep has made) + (1 for every 10 rep points the member giving rep has)

edit: If Famine can grant 64 points at a time (or could last month) and my above equation is correct, then his number of rep points would have to be between 350 and 359. This seems a bit low, perhaps its 1 extra rep point for every 20 or 50 rep points the member has.

64 - (10 + 3 (3 years a member) + 16 (16, 350 posts)) = 35

Famine has a lot more than 360 rep points, a lot more. If I knew how many rep points I gave out I could work it out, but when I rep someone I don'tknow how many I'm giving, it's probably over 30 maybe 40 but I don't know how many I'm giving. If you were to get 10 rep points, then + 1 for each year of membership, +1 for every 1000 posts you have and then +1 for every 50 rep points you have I would be giving people 38 rep points, by that thoery Famine would only be giving people roughly 44 points, which he is not, so that theory needs work.

Maybe it's +1 for every 20 or 25 points you have.

live4speed
Famine has a lot more than 360 rep points, a lot more. If I knew how many rep points I gave out I could work it out, but when I rep someone I don'tknow how many I'm giving, it's probably over 30 maybe 40 but I don't know how many I'm giving. If you were to get 10 rep points, then + 1 for each year of membership, +1 for every 1000 posts you have and then +1 for every 50 rep points you have I would be giving people 38 rep points, by that thoery Famine would only be giving people roughly 44 points, which he is not, so that theory needs work.

Maybe it's +1 for every 20 or 25 points you have.

I agree(d) :)

amp88
This seems a bit low, perhaps its 1 extra rep point for every 20 or 50 rep points the member has.

Using Famine as the lab rat once again, if it was for every 25 rep points, I think he'd currently be giving out between 57 and 61, which is agian too low. Make that +1 for every 20 and now Famines roughly giving out between 64 - 69 points each time he rep's someone. That seems to be the most likely, maybe he or somone else can say.

amp88
I didn't know the number of rep points a user has came into the equation. Do you know exactly how the number of rep points given increases with a user's reputation?

Yes.

Every year of membership gives 1 point of repping power.
Every thousandth post gives 1 point of repping power.
Every 20 reputation points gives 1 point of repping power.

I believe I currently give out 67 points a time. Read into this what you will.

I will also add that the amount of rep points anyone has is completely irrelevant in all but two aspects. Firstly, is it lower or higher than 300? You don't get anything more for having 268 points than you do for 267 points - and you don't get anything less for having 300 points than you do for having 300,000 points. It's simply whether you have the badge or not - anything else is irrelevant. Secondly, is it lower than 10 - the background level? This only matters to the member themselves, who can see that their contributions are rated negatively by their peers and can do something about it, and the moderators, who can see consistantly poor members who aren't wanted. That's it.

So, I guess the description in this thread and in the help section needs to be changed, then?

Help section and Jordan's "Quality posts badge" thread
Reputation points are given by clicking on the red check mark next to the "Post #" of any given post. A "Good" rating for a post gives the user 10 reputation points, and a "Bad" rating for a post subtracts 10. You must have at least 100 posts to rate others, and you must rate at least 10 other user's posts before you can rate the same person again. You are also limited to 10 votes, or ratings, per day.

That's how it is when a new member starts out, then as they use the site the ratings they give out changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back