Russian Invasion of Ukraine

• Thread starter Rage Racer
  • 10,020 comments
Kaliningrad is a strategically important port that the Soviet Union took as victor's spoils in World War Two. Russia would never let it go easily even though its existance proves that Russia has always had the NATO border it has claimed it didn't want.

But apparently Kaliningrad truly is populated by Russian loyalists
Its similar to Crimea. Big ass military base + bunch of services around it. To assimilate it you need to move more than half of its population.

Kaliningrad is a strategically important port that the Soviet Union took as victor's spoils in World War Two. Russia would never let it go easily even though its existance proves that Russia has always had the NATO border it has claimed it didn't want.
Königsberg (now Kaliningrad) was also ethnically cleansed after WWII, so there’s nobody left who can ask for independence.

aVbnWp2_460s.jpg

Finns or Germans weren't all that interest in Karelia or Kaliningrad, there were alot of chances to buy property here in 90s and 00s.
It’s a huge step to buy property in a foreign country. That doesn’t mean that those who used to live in those regions “weren’t all that interested” to live there. I’m sure it was a big disaster for most of them to have to leave their homes, their work, their future plans, their investments, their childhood memories etc etc. The fact that few of their countrymen came back 50 years later to buy property means nothing with respect to that.

Finns or Germans weren't all that interest in Karelia or Kaliningrad, there were alot of chances to buy property here in 90s and 00s.
That's nothing short of an insult. I'm the great grandson of a farmer that had to leave everything when the Soviets decided to take the Karelian Isthmus in the Winter War, yet now I should buy the land back while in reality I should receive 85 years' worth of compensation for getting my family's assets stolen if anything.

It can be compared to me breaking into your house, beating you to an inch of your life, burning the house down and declaring the property mine while you're in the hospital. When you've recovered you can buy it back, it's obviously a fair deal.

it was a big disaster for most of them
We are talking about different people.
It’s a huge step to buy property in a foreign country.
100m2 apartment in the middle of Saint Petersburg was few thousands $. Dacha in Karelia was few times cheaper. Its doable as hobby for citizens of two wealthiest counties in Europe.
I should buy the land back
You could buy. Or could go in court. You dont, I guess.
It can be compared to me breaking into your house, beating you to an inch of your life, burning the house down and declaring the property mine while you're in the hospital. When you've recovered you can buy it back, it's obviously a fair deal.
My family lost big business after revolution, few of my relatives are dead because of WW2(blockade of Leningrad, when Finns and Germans participate together in one of most brutal war crimes ever) and Revolution. It would be fair if both our families get compensations for what happen from RF government. No one insulting you or your family, relax.

Last edited:
What people are you talking about?
I am talking about modern Germans and Finns, not those who was cleansed out by Soviet Regime.
Huge step, not (necessarily) huge cost.
Not sure about Germans in Kaliningrad, but Finns were common guests in S.Petersburg since 70s. It was common thing to get train here for weekend in 00s.

200 heroes arrested after paying respects to Navalniy at Solovetskiy kamen memorial in my city. Also arrested orthodox cleric that wanted to do memorial service for Alexey, at police station he had stroke. Local police is moronic, as always.

Back