Should PD spend/waste game space,time,money&energy on music tracks ?

• Thread starter lGNAl
  • 113 comments
GT3 could do this too.

Really? I never saw this. I must check again. GT4 had music and camera angles and multitude of filters that you could not choose that automatically played in sync with drive replay, I think that's what it was called. I played a lot of GT3 and never notice that, ever. Loads of two player tandem drifting lol, oh the days.

Music is the first setting I adjust. I turn off the RBM unless I'm racing slow cars in which case I use my own MP3 albums anyway.

I do the some thing. I turn off all sounds except the noise the car makes.

Really? I never saw this. I must check again. GT4 had music and camera angles and multitude of filters that you could not choose that automatically played in sync with drive replay, I think that's what it was called. I played a lot of GT3 and never notice that, ever. Loads of two player tandem drifting lol, oh the days.

I personally feel it was better in GT3. It also used to try to group cars on-screen, instead of only focusing on one car.

Griffith500
The question is, how much does a car cost, and how much does a music cost? I'm guessing there's an order of magnitude difference. There's also an order of magnitude difference in the number of each in the direction that deepens the gulf. Music's a pretty insignificant part of GT's budget, I'd say. I bet Sony covers it anyway.
I don't think the music in GT games costs much at all to put in. All the tracks are songs and tunes that are already licensed to Sony and they don't use many tunes that are created specifically for the GT games.

No,simply because we have the ability to add our own now,just one mans opinion,but there it is.:) I guess it wouldn't hurt,but it's not necessary.

No,simply because we have the ability to add our own now,just one mans opinion,but there it is.:) I guess it wouldn't hurt,but it's not necessary.

This, though other games seem to make it work without wasting too much room and actually make good soundtracks.

I just remembered something. I think that PD should add Celldweller's music. I have all of his albums and at least half of his music is incredibly suitable for Racing. One of his songs appeared in NFS: MW (2005) (Shapeshifter), and I enjoyed MW because of that. I added most of his songs on my PS3 playlist, so I can listen to it while I race and it makes me feel incredibly motivated and determined to race. Pretty much, his music is mostly energetic in a complex way.

Feeder, Daiki Kasho and some of the recent songs, they should focus on making the menu musics relaxing and interesting, like the GT3 and GT4 menu/dealership soundtracks, GT5 dealership soundtrack just gets boring.

Feeder, Daiki Kasho and some of the recent songs, they should focus on making the menu musics relaxing and interesting, like the GT3 and GT4 menu/dealership soundtracks, GT5 dealership soundtrack just gets boring.

All they need to do is make is so we can use custom music in ALL menus, not just some of them as is the case with GT5. I don't know why they force their own music on us in dealerships and GT Auto.

I must be in the minority I suppose. I turn off all menu music as one of my first priority's. Adjust HUD and game difficulty setting too.

Anyone else do this?

All they need to do is make is so we can use custom music in ALL menus, not just some of them as is the case with GT5. I don't know why they force their own music on us in dealerships and GT Auto.

GASP! That classical music in GT Auto. Oh God. O_O *Runs out back door to avoid music*

I must be in the minority I suppose. I turn off all menu music as one of my first priority's. Adjust HUD and game difficulty setting too.

Anyone else do this?

Don't you find the menus a little....quiet, especially with the amount of time you're forced to be in them?

Don't you find the menus a little....quiet, especially with the amount of time you're forced to be in them?

No not really, the opposite could be true by being force fed music I'm not bothered by.

Try creating a livery in the paint shop for hours with some nonsense warbling in the background.

I gather I am in the minority here, surely people turn off in game race music though, I'm not alone in that am I ?

Edit to add examples of menu music turned off

Dirt series
F1 2010/11
GT
Forza

Examples of left on

Little big planet
Any Harmonix title.

Last edited:
I have deactivated all the music, but only because I played trough the game three times already and I finally can't stand it anymore. Now I hear "Radio Secret Agent" over the Internet while I am racing. I don't want to clutter my PS3 with music files. I wish there would be a way to stream music right into the game.

You know, I think they should. There are those who want to enjoy playing a game like a Gran Turismo for music. You have to make a decent package for those who want this experience. The music may get old after a while for you, but at least there's music there for you if you want to enjoy playing music. Only thing I wonder is if GT6 won't play some of the same songs on your PS3. I have over 10 hours of music for when I was playing GT5 early on. Sometimes, it would play some of the same songs in my extensive playlist again and again.

I sometimes become reluctant to hear what music GT games have to offer. That especially includes some of the lounge and jazz style music. I noted that the Gran Turismo series features some of the classiest music of almost any game series- let alone any racing game. Did you know I sometimes STILL listen to the beautiful jazz rendition of "Silent Night" from when PD had those holiday greetings? I loved almost every lounge and jazz style song in GT5. You know- Like a Bird, almost anything of Satoshi Bando, Current of the Times, Passion, Park Side Cafe, Night Birds... you name it. I think even if you don't care what kind of soundtrack GT6 will have, at least you have some interest in a possible soundtrack for GT6. You'll likely be listening to enjoy what all this game will have to offer on the music front.

The real soundtrack for many of us racing fans is done by the cars and the environment- not from any recording artist and not from any musical instrument.

No not really, the opposite could be true by being force fed music I'm not bothered by.

Try creating a livery in the paint shop for hours with some nonsense warbling in the background.

I gather I am in the minority here, surely people turn off in game race music though, I'm not alone in that am I ?

Edit to add examples of menu music turned off

Dirt series
F1 2010/11
GT
Forza

Examples of left on

Little big planet
Any Harmonix title.

Well yeah, that's why I want to be able to use custom music in all menus. Other PS3 games I don't tend to spend much time in the menus so it doesn't matter and on the 360 I can have my own custom music in any game at any time.

In game of course the music goes, yeah.

Custom Music is a very good feature but i don't want to look for songs on the internet so i will have some music in the game, i agree with you on the feature to change music everywhere but they should have some good original music in the game.

Custom Music is a very good feature but i don't want to look for songs on the internet so i will have some music in the game, i agree with you on the feature to change music everywhere but they should have some good original music in the game.

Why would you need to look for songs on the internet? I own plenty of music.

I honestly can't understand how this thread keeps going or how people think the question that drives it is in anyway reasonable.

So you just expect PD to release a game with no music but with two more cars? Yeah...I bet that'll sell well. Ask yourselves: When was the last time you played a game without any music whatsoever? Even SimBin sims have menu music, and, oh lord of wasted resources, they make a new menu music for each expansion of Race 07!!!!! Yet, nobody gives them a hard time for that because including music doesn't affect the other content at all. Music can even be handled by just one guy from PD who manages calls from Sony and with artists, signs some contracts, tell SCE who to pay and who Kaz wants for the soundtrack and it's done. It has nothing to do with licenses, it takes a minimal amount of PDs über-inflated budget, and it doesn't disrupt the work of 3D modellers whatsoever.

Stop thinking GT is made just for you and that PD should cater to each of your nonsensical needs. The game will have music, period. And even if it didn't, it would have the same amount of cars. And, coming to think of it, if it's a matter of liking/disliking the music in GT, PD does give us enough options in that regard (Want no music so you can focus on the race? You can have that. You want your own music? Can have that as well. The only things you could possibly add might be selecting specific songs for replay files or menus)[/THREAD]

Last edited:
"Stop thinking GT is made just for you and that PD should cater to each of your nonsensical needs."

Not bothering with providing music and giving users the opportunity to easily provide their own music isn't 'catering to individual needs'.

"Stop thinking GT is made just for you and that PD should cater to each of your nonsensical needs."

Not bothering with providing music and giving users the opportunity to easily provide their own music isn't 'catering to individual needs'.

PD and Sony will release a game with no soundtrack whatsoever just to please a couple of posters at GTP. They might lose a bunch of sales from casual gamers who think a game without music is boring, dull or too serious to be any fun like an...erm...game should be, but it doesn't matter as long as some GTP users are pleased!

Gran Turismo has always been, still is and, most likely, will continue being a commercial hit game. It's no dead-serious sim without music like iRacing which is the only driving title I recall having used with no music in menus or racing (LFS, for instance, also has at least menu music). The game must please a very audience, and doing that requires, guess what, music.

PD and Sony will release a game with no soundtrack whatsoever just to please a couple of posters at GTP. They might lose a bunch of sales from casual gamers who think a game without music is boring, dull or too serious to be any fun like an...erm...game should be, but it doesn't matter as long as some GTP users are pleased!

Gran Turismo has always been, still is and, most likely, will continue being a commercial hit game. It's no dead-serious sim without music like iRacing which is the only driving title I recall having used with no music in menus or racing (LFS, for instance, also has at least menu music). The game must please a very audience, and doing that requires, guess what, music.

It's a discussion of a topic that hardly anyone talked about. You can agree or disagree all you want. In the end were discussing a game. Just relax, and argue without disrespecting or belittling someone because he has a different opinion. If you don't like the topic don't comment.

There is no perfect game for everyone. You might agree with someone about music, and then disagree on another aspect in the game. Not everyone that plays GT is a member on GTP. Some people didn't know anything about GT6 till GTA came out. The theme tracks I'm ok with but the others not my taste. A game without music sometimes is boring. Thats why I put my Ipod on. :)

Why would you need to look for songs on the internet? I own plenty of music.

So do i, but most of the songs wouldn't fit in Gran Turismo. if the music in GT6 is anything like GT3/GT4 then i will be happy with the OST.

Last edited:
It's a discussion of a topic that hardly anyone talked about. You can agree or disagree all you want. In the end were discussing a game. Just relax, and argue without disrespecting or belittling someone because he has a different opinion. If you don't like the topic don't comment.

Thing is, the question you ask does not make a lot of sense because Music has no kind of Significant effect on Resources. Its not really a topic worth discussing since its far from being true at all really.

if the music in GT6 is anything like GT3/GT4 then i will be happy with the OST.

Ah but you see, the man who wrote the majority of the awesome menu music for GT1-4, Isamu Ohira, had no involvement in GT5 and don't think he's back in GT6, I'd love to find out what happened to him, but that's something we'd probably only find out from asking Kaz, or rather, asking Jordan to ask Kaz

Back