Should PD spend/waste game space,time,money&energy on music tracks ?

• Thread starter lGNAl
  • 113 comments
Ah but you see, the man who wrote the majority of the awesome menu music for GT1-4, Isamu Ohira, had no involvement in GT5 and don't think he's back in GT6, I'd love to find out what happened to him, but that's something we'd probably only find out from asking Kaz, or rather, asking Jordan to ask Kaz

Yes! These are the kinds of questions I'd ask Kaz. While everyone else is droning on and on about accurate engine notes and livery editors, I'd love to know if Ohira was returning. Because of him I'd get lost in the menus in GT2, GT3, and GT4 just so I could listen to the soundtrack!

Is the OP suggesting that GT6 ships with no music at all? :lol:

Best thread/suggestion ever.

*Imagines watching epic GT6 intro movie in 100% silence so we can have a single extra standard - falls over laughing*

Last edited:
I've never experienced a game without sound therefore it would be rather bizarre. I must admit I adjust all volume levels myself after I've become exhausted with there repetitiveness. For this to be the best quality production it has to check all the boxes. Great sound effects are paramount, good menu (music)tracks, and a diverse selection of driving music is just showing the ability to put out a quality product.

I've owned GT5 since the day before launch day and never listened to any music while playing, not even menu BGM or replay music. I play GT5 to hear the cars not music. When driving my boring every day car I listen to music, but when driving my weekend classic car, I drive with windows down and music off so I can listen to the engine :) Yes I'm a car geek!

They don't necessarily spend, I've working in the music industry for a few years and it's usually a case of Sony going to the labels/artists/agents and saying "hey we've got this huge video game coming and we think it would be great for you guys" ...from there, Sony will not pay to take tracks on, however, the labels/artists/agents have to pay in order to get their tracks onto the game.

Ah but you see, the man who wrote the majority of the awesome menu music for GT1-4, Isamu Ohira, had no involvement in GT5 and don't think he's back in GT6, I'd love to find out what happened to him, but that's something we'd probably only find out from asking Kaz, or rather, asking Jordan to ask Kaz

I doubt isamu will return, we would of heard of it by now, strange that we haven't heard a single GT6 original song, all we heard from the trailers is music from previous GT's, If they have Feeder, Daiki Kasho and Isamu Ohira, i imagine the GT6 OST being amazing.

Come on guys, GT is nothing without the music!!! :(

It's the music that makes me remember all the old GT games. Don't you remember this? This is like the playstation national anthem.

Here's an idea: if you want your favourite artist to be in GT6 then get them to sign up with a music right collection agency (if they're independant) or a major label and then pitch their music to Sony.

If there's one thing the GT soundtrack needs to keep, it's Daiki Kasho. Get rid of him, and I'll be a sad guy.

So keep him in and all will be good.

The best would be to get all songs from previous GT games, both from menus and in-game. Nostalgia matters a lot on this franchise and their song selections were way better than those in GT5.

If there's one thing the GT soundtrack needs to keep, it's Daiki Kasho. Get rid of him, and I'll be a sad guy.

So keep him in and all will be good.

Doubt they would ditch Daiki Kasho,been a very successful partenrship.

The best would be to get all songs from previous GT games, both from menus and in-game. Nostalgia matters a lot on this franchise and their song selections were way better than those in GT5.

This +1000

Gran Turismo 1 has the best music of any GT in the series. I wanted to mention this since we're talking about past GTs. I seem to say that a lot- "Gran Turismo 1...best..." My favorite in GT1 is "Lose Control" by Ash. That joint gets me going in GT1. One thing I'd be open to is maybe allowing you to input your own themes rather than have GT's music. For example, I'd change the Used Car theme from that annoying looping rock theme in GT5 to some other song. Some people disliked the Breakbot remix of "Baby" from Pnau as a pre-race theme (I loved it). Though, I do kind of want some of the pre-race themes from GT Academy 2013 as pre-race themes, especially when you do the Silverstone Practice events. The songs would have to be in MP3 format or something, though I'd probably prefer a better looping format like MOD- but the PS3 doesn't support such a format. I do tracker music.

Just listening to the jazzy and lounge music alone is a great touch in Gran Turismo games. I once said Gran Turismo has the classiest music of any racing game. I would probably say GT5 has the classiest and best music in the department of soft music. So music isn't totally a lost cause or an insignificant cause for GT6. I'd say you want to at least know what GT6 would offer on the music front in case you may find a song or two you may like. A scary thing is that no matter how many songs you've heard, there may be a song you haven't yet heard from a GT lineup. I even feel that way listening to some of GT5's songs even today.

It's going to be interesting to see what GT6 has to offer... at least with music.

Enjoy the menu music but due to poor sounds I find myself with headphones and my own music on majority of the time now anyway. If I'm not wearing headphones it's because I'm online and then I mute my music anyway.

Whatever happened to burning a CD and importing your own playlist?

Soundtrack still matters a lot in videogames and will always be crucial.

On a side note, I'd like to add to my previous comment that all the classic GT songs should be selectable for being used used while racing and in menus. That way I could drive with the GT2 intro song (favorite game) or that the GT1 song comes up when buying cars and whatnot. Again, nostalgia matters (right now to me it's sex type thing, as featured in gt2).

Here's a list of all the music used in this franchise. On GT5 it decayed quite a bit quality-wise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_the_Gran_Turismo_series

I didn't realize so many people keep the game music on. First thing I do is turn it off, before the first race upon starting up the game. Unless it's a game where the music is needed for the mood I'd rather listen to something I like, rather than what the game thinks I might like. Can't recall ever liking music that a racing game had to offer.

I'd say get rid of it but I guess some people like it. Seems as much of a waste of resources as when they devoted how much time (?) for that GPS-thing that never got off the ground and that only ten people would have used, or when they devote endless hours to making the seat stitching perfect and headlights 1,000,000 polygons that I'll never see because I am busy driving.

But, to each their own. They make the game -- not me. So long as I get the option to turn the music off I don't care.

We need good music for the game, GT5 barely had any good music, think about GT-GT4, we had Isamu Ohira, Masahiro Andoh, and Daiki kasho composing proper music, the music sounded so amazing even today i use it to play in GT5.

Good Music which actually motivates you, rather than GT5's.

Another track called Skyscraper, it make you feel you actually are racing around the buildings

A track which feels like your actually gripped with the dirts tyers drifting!

Even Snoop Dogg made a song for GT3!

Last edited:
I turn all music off in every game I play. Don't want to sound old, but it's just noise.

I am the same and I am old.:)
I am a very strange person according to my kids I never listen to music ever not in the car not on tv nothing have no interest in music never have never will, I think I am the only person alive who has no interest in music.
A saying I saw on another site a while back summed it up it went What is music apart from an annoying background noise?

I've never heard that Snoop Dogg track before; I'm not sure if it's best or worst. Hm.

I think the music is an important part of the overall theme of a game. It's oddly cool how the EU (NA?) version of GT1 had that techno / industrial vibe (without actually featuring too much of either "genre") that kinda suited this idea of a tuning outfit just doing what needed doing to these cars to make them "useful". GT2 changed all that (although it was obviously a continuation of GT1 JP's "theme") with the funky smooth jazzy lounge feel, and is somehow worse off for it (thematically, to me, it doesn't "fit"). Still, it's far from bad, especially since I like a bit of groove.

That said, I never listen to music in a race (or when driving full stop); the menu music is really important, and I don't think that's suffered too much on PS3. The "race" music is perhaps not as good as it once was; GT3 probably was the last GT game with a decent selection on that front.

Back