Should the Daily Races have tuning allowable?

• Thread starter jrbabbitt
  • 141 comments

Should the Daily Races have tuning allowable?

• Total voters
Just create a 4th daily race specifically just for tuning. Then when barely anyone plays that game mode and nobody really respects the tuning lords of GT7, they can lop off the wasted game mode. Chasing weekly meta tunes doesn't take skill beyond stalking people on message boards.

Think they have tried to draw in Forza players and serious SIM racers from other games. Not all setups you see online work well for you. So you have to put the time in to find one close enough then fine tune it to suit you, or tune one yourself. Not ideal for the casual gamer which I think GTSport worked very well for especially during the last 2 years. Don't want too many races for the daily's. 4 would be ideal half tuneable races half BOP. The FIA races (I did) you had to setup the cars. Struggled as didn't have time to spend practicing and tweaking the car. The game needs to have easy to jump races with a chance of being competitive for those that wish and other races for the tuning side. Otherwise you alienate part of your fan base and they will look elsewhere for their enjoyment.

Just create a 4th daily race specifically just for tuning. Then when barely anyone plays that game mode and nobody really respects the tuning lords of GT7, they can lop off the wasted game mode. Chasing weekly meta tunes doesn't take skill beyond stalking people on message boards.
Or have two BoP and two tuning. Gran Turismo is a game built around tuning.

Or have two BoP and two tuning. Gran Turismo is a game built around tuning.
I'd rather they not tank more than 1 race option per week. Just look at the poll, only 30% of the people want tuning in Sport races. No matter how romantic people want to talk about tuning, tuning isn't going to bring people to the races. There's no need for any debate either. Allow choices and just see where everyone goes to play.

I'd rather they not tank more than 1 race option per week. Just look at the poll, only 30% of the people want tuning in Sport races. No matter how romantic people want to talk about tuning, tuning isn't going to bring people to the races. There's no need for any debate either. Allow choices and just see where everyone goes to play.
I don't think 66 people on a forum really shows the whole picture.
Sure, have one GR3 race with BoP and another for GR4/Road with BoP if needs be, but also have two PP races. The PP races on their own would have so much more variety and options for people who enjoy the cars as well as the racing.
I liked GT Sport, but in short bursts as I found the BoP races repetative. It was great to jump in and race. Keep that, but there's so much potential now with the car modifications that I think it should be a focus.

Well GTS sucked because there wasn't tuning in Sport Mode, tuning was the cornerstone of GT series
GT7 sucks because there is tuning in Sport Mode, BOYCOTT!

I, and most people, I believe, would like to have both tuning races and BoP races available.

Agree 100%. But I think main form of competition should still be BoP races. PP in GT7 seems a little less straightforward than I'd like.

I like the idea of both tuning and bop races, the tuning just needs proper implementation with the PP system and I think it could catch on at a more casual level, racing for DR should only be in BOP races.

I don't mind tuning so long as they somehow make it more accessible - something like downloadable car setups which also show upgrades required.
FM7 had a reasonable approach to this, where there were leaderboards for everything you could be racing, and you could download the tune used by any performance on the leaderboard, provided the tuner had chosen to share it. In practice this meant you could always find a good tune for a race without a crazy amount of effort. Downloading a tune cost the credits needed to buy all the parts, i.e. a tune was actually a build+tune.

Definitely both. It shouldn't be locked down one way or the other.

Personally I like testing different cars and tunes to see where I can squeeze the most performance out. But I certainly understand if you'd prefer to just jump in and have a competitive car.

Agree 100%. But I think main form of competition should still be BoP races. PP in GT7 seems a little less straightforward than I'd like.
I think PP is more straight forward than people think.
You don't need to do any car setup to reach certain PP levels. You can literally buy parts and restrict power for example to reach a number OR you can spend time fine tuning suspension etc. if you want to raise it that way.
You don't even need to buy parts if you have a car that is already just above the PP level. Just add weight or restrict power.

The problem the tuning races have now is that they use power/weight as the entry restrictions which puts a bigger emphasis on having to find the perfect set up. It also requires you to buy all the expensive parts that don't affect power/weight as much, like ceramic brakes, to be more competitive.

Last edited:
PP will always be flawed and will be a META for a PP limit, who can forget the GSX/R-4 in GT6?
Still is immensely better than the Nx00 system on GTS.

Not a problem of GT7, in real world racing we have today racing categories spec-defined, like V8 Supercar, NASCAR, LMP2, or homologation locked and BoPed, like GTE, GT3, GT4, TCR, no longer free development of a road car, within a rule book and equivalencies do fit diferent engine and drivetrains, like old Group A.

Well GTS sucked because there wasn't tuning in Sport Mode, tuning was the cornerstone of GT series
GT7 sucks because there is tuning in Sport Mode, BOYCOTT!

I, and most people, I believe, would like to have both tuning races and BoP races available.
Let me guess, you’re good at tuning and setups and enjoy winning against people who aren’t racing you on equal terms?

They need to do SOMETHING to set this game apart from Sport, and right now tuning is about the only thing that does that.
I do like some of the ideas mentioned of having two races, one with BoP and one with tuning available. Seems like it would suit everyone that way

Let me guess, you’re good at tuning and setups and enjoy winning against people who aren’t racing you on equal terms?
You guessed wrong. Don't have the time, patience or enough feeling to do it.
Just the remarks of what was said in numerous topics in this very forum about GTSport only having "supplied car" or BoPed categories in Sport Mode. I was one of those that defended the BoPed races to not alienate those who don't feel comfortable tuning cars.

But there should be space for all have fun.

Having both would be the best compromise. I enjoy the tuning aspect of the game, the bop races in GTS were pretty stale.

Last edited:
I saw an interesting idea on youtube comments, for BOP daily races (rotated more frequently, y'know, even daily) and then one race a week that allowed tuning so those interested could spend a whole week dialling in their setups.

I encourage tuning in the game but some of the responses here are downright rude, players shouldn't be told to 'stick to GT Sport'. GT may have a tuning history but it's also coming off the back of a successful entry which was race car and spec heavy and those new players should also be catered to in the new entry, they even call it 'sport mode' after all!

There should be far more races per week IMO whether they're tuning or not, 3 is not enough, it wasn't on Sport and should be rotated more often with more variable distance races, race types and options available.

Copy their setups, lol. There are sites and YT channels dedicated to car tuning if you can't do it yourself. As long as PP is equal I don't see the problem at all. In the real world are the teams that are cutting edge with their chassis/suspension/transmission setups "cheating"? Of course not, setting a car up for a particular track that best suits the style of the driver is a big part of the winning formula as long as it's allowed in the regulations.

I don't think 66 people on a forum really shows the whole picture.
Sure, have one GR3 race with BoP and another for GR4/Road with BoP if needs be, but also have two PP races. The PP races on their own would have so much more variety and options for people who enjoy the cars as well as the racing.
I liked GT Sport, but in short bursts as I found the BoP races repetative. It was great to jump in and race. Keep that, but there's so much potential now with the car modifications that I think it should be a focus.
The only potential in tuning is for random freak glitch tunes. Watch, as tuning continues people will find meta tunes that will be so outrageously out of step with the competitive racing scene that the tuning scene will render itself irrelevant.

There are a lot of delusional hobbyists who can only rationalize "wasting" hours on a racing video game simply out of the fantasy that they might have a talent for racing. Despite how minuscule the odds are, GT was still a path to a real-life racing career. This competitive racing draw is a major reason why e-Sports have so much draw in the first place.

What is the trajectory for a championship-winning "tuner" in Gran Turismo? Are they going to become a professional "tuner" after years on the GT7 race circuit? Tuning is an abstract mini-game with no direct correlation to reality. Are people really going to log into a stream to watch the best "tuners" race and compete against each other? I doubt it.

The numbered versions of Gran Turismo were never about 'professional race cars', they were about the 'street scene'.
Look at Japanese car culture, ordinary-ish production cars tuned, customised and wrapped (normally anime girls).
Yes, GT had high end race cars but it had far more normal cars, even compact Kei cars.
Also Gran Turismo was the only racing game with normal production cars and proper tuning. Not to tell people where to race but if you want BoP then there is GTSport, ACC, all the F1 games..... There should be more races for tuned cars in GT7 and there should be some BoP races for the crowd who just want to pick a car and race.
For me and I guess a large percentage of those who played previous Gran Turismo games, tuning a production car to be competitive is where the enjoyment is; take a normal production car and tune it to eat lambos for breakfast.... Selecting a race and then choosing one of maybe 4 cars and clicking race is so boring, for me.

Real world example: my profile picture is of me welding up a rear pillar on my '91 Range Rover, this has stage 3 heads, torque cam, re-mapped fuel system and de-restricted intake system. It does 0-60mph in less than 5 seconds!

Tuning your car to match how you drive is fun! Try it!😜

The only potential in tuning is for random freak glitch tunes. Watch, as tuning continues people will find meta tunes that will be so outrageously out of step with the competitive racing scene that the tuning scene will render itself irrelevant.

There are a lot of delusional hobbyists who can only rationalize "wasting" hours on a racing video game simply out of the fantasy that they might have a talent for racing. Despite how minuscule the odds are, GT was still a path to a real-life racing career. This competitive racing draw is a major reason why e-Sports have so much draw in the first place.

What is the trajectory for a championship-winning "tuner" in Gran Turismo? Are they going to become a professional "tuner" after years on the GT7 race circuit? Tuning is an abstract mini-game with no direct correlation to reality. Are people really going to log into a stream to watch the best "tuners" race and compete against each other? I doubt it.
Fair enough.

You guessed wrong. Don't have the time, patience or enough feeling to do it.
Just the remarks of what was said in numerous topics in this very forum about GTSport only having "supplied car" or BoPed categories in Sport Mode. I was one of those that defended the BoPed races to not alienate those who don't feel comfortable tuning cars.

But there should be space for all have fun.
Very well. I think once everyone’s settled in and gone through the required menu books and all that there’s definitely a big enough playerbase to support races to different tastes. Four per week split in two with BoP and setups off in two and allowed in the other two for example.
Copy their setups, lol. There are sites and YT channels dedicated to car tuning if you can't do it yourself. As long as PP is equal I don't see the problem at all. In the real world are the teams that are cutting edge with their chassis/suspension/transmission setups "cheating"? Of course not, setting a car up for a particular track that best suits the style of the driver is a big part of the winning formula as long as it's allowed in the regulations.
Copy? How? Do you think everyone just gives them away? Some, sure. Others, no. Gotta get on friendly terms with people you couldn’t be bothered with just to yoink their setups? Come on, man. Who does that?

Yeah, real world racing is nice and all that. Unfortunately most of us don’t have a team of professional engineers to do that job for us.

Can I ask you how much racing you did in GT Sport with BoP on? The thing is, the racing was mostly pretty damn good and was what kept the game going for such a long time.

There is an entire tuning section on this website…
The last time I checked, this game doesn't link to this website. With the game's tools alone, there's no way to post and share tunes. Anytime you have to reach outside of a game in order to maximize its enjoyment, there's a failure in game design.

Now you want people to get a GTPlanet account and subscribe to Tuner forums in order to drive anything competitive? I don't think that game loop is viable to grow a large player base.

The last time I checked, this game doesn't link to this website. With the game's tools alone, there's no way to post and share tunes. Anytime you have to reach outside of a game in order to maximize its enjoyment, there's a failure in game design.

Now you want people to get a GTPlanet account and subscribe to Tuner forums in order to drive anything competitive? I don't think that game loop is viable to grow a large player base.
Tunes should be downloadable just like the liveries, I’ve been saying this since the start of GTS. But it’s also not hard to do a google search, unless the person is completely lazy and useless.

Latest Posts

Back