Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,472 comments
JRlEk1hl.jpg

Backpack for youngest sister for Christmas, inspired by a convo I had with her the other day over Dep Leppard on the radio and how she has one of their shirts despite not really listening to them.
lt6V3cPl.jpg

Mentioned how she's been taking driver's ed, now has her learner's permit, is getting a car from her other brother in the near enough future, so a CD for it for Christmas.
ia8IGEMl.jpg

CD for me. Blood on Ice, a release from Viking metal-era Bathory

Last edited:
I’ve not encountered anyone for a long time that still keeps physical digital media players,
I still do and also buy UHD Blu Rays, CD's, SACD's, vinyl etc.
If I want to sit down and properly listen to the music I'll put one of those on, on the other hand if the music is more for background purposes like while making dinner for example I normally just stream it to my system. Best of both worlds really.

RiffTrax has been riffing the 1941 Captain Marvel serial based on DC’s Billy Batson character (not Marvel’s Mar-Vell or Carol Danvers.) Six of the twelve installments are out so far, so I picked them up today.
IMG_2436.jpeg

The cover artists are:
Episode 1: Jennifer Albright
Episode 2: Nina Matsumoto
Episode 3: Len Peralta
Episode 4: Lucas Antoniak
Episode 5: Bob Fingerman
Episode 6: Veronica Fish

I bring up the cover artists because every one of these covers is a homage to famous comic book covers.
IMG_2437.jpeg

Comic 1: Batman: Harley Quinn (1999) by Alex Ross
Comic 2: The Amazing Spider-Man #129 (1974) by Gil Kane and John Romita Sr.
Comic 3: The Fantastic Four #1 (1961) by Jack Kirby
Comic 4: Zap Comix #1 (1968) by Robert Crumb
Comic 5: Eightball #1 (1989) by Daniel Clowes
Comic 6: Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4 (1968) by Jim Steranko

I only owned one of those when it was new, and that’s Eightball. Looking forward to the next six installments, and their homage covers as well.

Last edited:
Nothing fancy just a set of t3pm's from cex for £65, had a £10 voucher to use so I only had to pay £55, I literally snapped my brake pedal in half on my old set & I don't mind buying 2nd hand from them with a 2 year warranty.

Also got the kids avatar for their SS's from cdkeys for £54, (wasn't paying £70 from the xb store) I said they could have it for xmas but said they'll pay half each & have it now, game share is such a brilliant thing from xbox buy once use together, they do that alot with their games.

Last edited:
TB
Couldn't help myself. I figured what's better than one pair of XM4s? Two pair!
I've had a pair of XM4s for a few years and they're generally pretty good, but I could just never get comfortable with them. They always felt too heavy to wear for more than an hour or two before my ears would start aching, so they've been relegated to backup duty while I've used my Bose QC35 IIs pretty much daily.

Anyway, got the wheelstand put together now and it's been fantastic. Only thing I'dreally want to change about the out-of-box setup is some resistance in the throttle pedal. There's some third party options out there for mods, but I'll have to look into it more.
20231127_232459.jpg

20231127_232507.jpg

Only downside with the rig is how heavy it is, so moving it around is a bit of a workout. Tried solving that with some caster wheels but they didn't really work, so I'm gonna try adding some furniture sliders and see if that helps. Also have a base-side QR2 on order since Fanatec were practically giving them away for Black Friday, so I'll probably upgrade both wheels to the QR2 at some point.

One more thing I've been considering is a shifter, specifically the SHH Newt since it's been reviewed positively and it's priced pretty good for what it offers. SHH just put out a new model that appears to have some improvements though, so I'll probably wait to see some reviews on that before I grab one.

I've had a pair of XM4s for a few years and they're generally pretty good, but I could just never get comfortable with them. They always felt too heavy to wear for more than an hour or two before my ears would start aching, so they've been relegated to backup duty while I've used my Bose QC35 IIs pretty much daily.

Anyway, got the wheelstand put together now and it's been fantastic. Only thing I'dreally want to change about the out-of-box setup is some resistance in the throttle pedal. There's some third party options out there for mods, but I'll have to look into it more.View attachment 1310610
View attachment 1310611

Only downside with the rig is how heavy it is, so moving it around is a bit of a workout. Tried solving that with some caster wheels but they didn't really work, so I'm gonna try adding some furniture sliders and see if that helps. Also have a base-side QR2 on order since Fanatec were practically giving them away for Black Friday, so I'll probably upgrade both wheels to the QR2 at some point.

One more thing I've been considering is a shifter, specifically the SHH Newt since it's been reviewed positively and it's priced pretty good for what it offers. SHH just put out a new model that appears to have some improvements though, so I'll probably wait to see some reviews on that before I grab one.
Only ever use the castor wheels with brakes so you can stop it from moving, failing that make yourself a little trolley dolly just cut a piece of 18mm wood to match the footprint of your rig & attach the castors to that, then all you have to do is lift your rig once & move it about.

Anyway, got the wheelstand put together now and it's been fantastic. Only thing I'dreally want to change about the out-of-box setup is some resistance in the throttle pedal. There's some third party options out there for mods, but I'll have to look into it more.View attachment 1310610
View attachment 1310611

I use round furniture sliders under the feet of my rig and they work perfectly.

Only ever use the castor wheels with brakes so you can stop it from moving, failing that make yourself a little trolley dolly just cut a piece of 18mm wood to match the footprint of your rig & attach the castors to that, then all you have to do is lift your rig once & move it about.
Issue with that is I need it to fold in order to put it away; unfortunately I don't have room to keep it setup as I do.

I use round furniture sliders under the feet of my rig and they work perfectly.
Good to hear my plan might hold some water. As said above I'm mostly concerned with moving it while the wheelstand is folded, so hopefully the sliders I just ordered will work better for shifting it around.

Went kinda nuts with Harbor Freight's Icon sale today. 20% off everything, so I stocked up on swivel impact sockets, wobble extensions, a pliers wrench, and every other kind of pliers. Also got their new massive twin beam torque wrench. So now I have my torque driver for small stuff, metric Nm-graduated intermediate torque wrench for my bike stuff, and now finally the big half inch boy for anything automotive.

Pretty sure I have every kind of tool now with nothing to work on and no room to work on anything. :lol: @Solid Lifters syndrome

Last edited:
Issue with that is I need it to fold in order to put it away; unfortunately I don't have room to keep it setup as I do.

Good to hear my plan might hold some water. As said above I'm mostly concerned with moving it while the wheelstand is folded, so hopefully the sliders I just ordered will work better for shifting it around.
Sorry I misunderstood, I presumed you left it built but move it out of the way when not in use. I leave mine up but move it from the living room where I use it to the conservatory where I store it. I have to carry mine as there's a step up then a couple of steps down. But I still built the trolley just because I had some spare wood & some castors, I'm sure it will come in handy one day.

Sorry I misunderstood, I presumed you left it built but move it out of the way when not in use. I leave mine up but move it from the living room where I use it to the conservatory where I store it. I have to carry mine as there's a step up then a couple of steps down. But I still built the trolley just because I had some spare wood & some castors, I'm sure it will come in handy one day.

Here is my rig. Well this is the same stand but this was back before I got my CSL DD base. The sliders are the little round discs. I leave mine up because it just has to slide back and forth into that little room to the right. It's only about 10-12ft into there.

After nearly 8 years I have got a new phone, my old iPhone 7 plus 128gb was needing to be on constant charge when using it for more than 40 mins.
I bought an iPhone 15 pro max 512gb, just hope it lasts me as long as the 7 plus did.
The 7 plus is now used while I’m in my work for music and during my break time for watching ITV X or BBC IPLAYER ect.
Picture taken with old 7 plus.

Attachments

• AFC6AD08-E919-4CCC-90B5-94367A35AA78.jpeg
    AFC6AD08-E919-4CCC-90B5-94367A35AA78.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 58C2800E-D843-49E9-BF9E-32A5AC0F780F.jpeg
    58C2800E-D843-49E9-BF9E-32A5AC0F780F.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 10
After nearly 8 years I have got a new phone, my old iPhone 7 plus 128gb was needing to be on constant charge when using it for more than 40 mins.
I bought an iPhone 15 pro max 512gb, just hope it lasts me as long as the 7 plus did.
The 7 plus is now used while I’m in my work for music and during my break time for watching ITV X or BBC IPLAYER ect.
Picture taken with old 7 plus.
You might have had another few years from the 7 with a battery change.
It’s cheaper than a new unit, if you can get it done.

Edit: top tips for battery life: don’t over-charge or let the battery deplete completely.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I have every kind of tool now with nothing to work on and no room to work on anything. :lol: @Solid Lifters syndrome
As the old scout motto goes 'Always be prepared'. Better to have stuff and not need to use it then to have an issue with something and not have the tools to fix it. IMO. Nothing to do with the fact that tools are cool and guys just can't help collecting stuff. ;)

Last edited:
I decided I needed a Birthday Present so bought myself a Squier Jazzmaster XII. It arrived about an hour ago. I bought a case with it but the guitar is marginally too long for it. Fortunately I have a hard case for my Epiphone EB-0 shortscale bass and that fits the new case perfectly (making it much lighter to transport). The Jazzmaster fits the hard case perfectly so a win win situation! Stock Photo of the instrument,
IMG_9747.jpeg

My Christmas present to myself this year is tossing my old non-stick pans and getting some Lodge cast iron ones. I live a very exciting life as you can tell.

View attachment 1311556
Cast iron is a giant pain in the ass. Carbon steel is a much better option for all the same reasons you'd want cast iron. I still use nonstick, however, and I find the cheap TFal pans to be the best thing going. As soon as the nonstick coating shows signs of wear, I don't have to feel bad about chucking it and getting a new one.

I've got a couple of cast iron pans. Their great for: a) building up those forearm muscles. b) letting you spend more of that sweet free time cleaning pans - but in a different, much more labor intensive and old fashioned way. We all love spending more time on chores. ;)

I've got a couple of cast iron pans. Their great for: a) building up those forearm muscles. b) letting you spend more of that sweet free time cleaning pans - but in a different, much more labor intensive and old fashioned way. We all love spending more time on chores. ;)
I've always heard stuff like that, yet I use a 15" one for meal prepping and haven't really had any issues cleaning it. If something is stuck I find putting some water in it and letting it boil loosens whatever is stuck fairly well.

I've always heard stuff like that, yet I use a 15" one for meal prepping and haven't really had any issues cleaning it. If something is stuck I find putting some water in it and letting it boil loosens whatever is stuck fairly well.
I still use mine occasionally and yeah, that does tend to work most of the time. But we also have some aluminium granite-coated pans which are super light and so non-stick that you barely (if at all) need to use any oil to cook with. You can pretty much run them under a tap to clean them when used too.

I know there's a trend for people to fuss over their restored vintage cast iron pans. Constantly seasoning them and cleaning them with a special little natural fibre brush etc etc. But you get to an age where you realise life's just too short for that **** :lol:

Last edited:
The issue ain't cleaning it, it's the time. Carbon steel does everything cast iron does but is lighter and easier to clean. Give it a shot if you ever have to replace a pan for whatever reason in the future. Matfer Bourgeat is the brand to get, but I would get their paella pans instead of the standard ones because the long handle is so massive that it doesn't fit well in the oven. I only use mine for steaks but that was when I needed space for 2-3 steaks at once. These days, I just use the thicker T-Fal that Amazon always has on black friday sales, etc. Better quality than their standard line stuff, but they're still like $30 for a set of 3.

Last edited:
But we also have some aluminium granite-coated pans which are super light and so non-stick that you barely (if at all) need to use any oil to cook with. You can pretty much run them under a tap to clean them when used too.
If they're Henckels Granitium, we have the same pans. Absolutely incredible how hydrophobic the coating is.

After a year and a half of regular use, they're still amazing.

TB
If they're Henckels Granitium, we have the same pans. Absolutely incredible how hydrophobic the coating is.
No, they're by Jean-Patrique. I imagine they are similar though.

Back