Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,472 comments
Recently picked up a fairly basic lens filter kit for my Canon Rebel T2i.

Lens filters.jpg

I've recently been going to a lot more car shows for fun and to practice photography, so the CPL filter in particular has been really useful for reducing reflections on peoples wonderful paint jobs. Still need to experiment with the UV and the ND4 filter, especially since I don't actually know what that last one does. :dopey:

Also picked up some new games from my local shops for the first time in a while.

20231215_213452.jpg

I still need to get the Xbox 360 version of Armored Core 4, but my main spot had For Answer complete with its manual, so I got rid of some of my games that were collecting dust to put towards it. With the NTSC-U version of AC3, the only Ace Combat I'm missing on the PlayStation side is the original Air Combat PS1 longbox.

TB
It's basically a pair of sunglasses for your lens so you can do longer exposures in brighter light. For flowing water instead of freeze frame water, for example.

06.jpg
Oooooh, I can already see that being very helpful indeed, especially with how bright the Florida sun can be at times. Lovely.

My inner child got the better of me during a trip to my local dispensary.

View attachment 1312230

I already had a top notch grinder, but it wasn’t a Pokéball.

Edit: seems not to grind as well as my previous grinder. The teeth aren’t as compact.
Me: “Oh that’s cool.”

Reads “local dispensary” :lol:

I guess the world has it all lol, I’ve never seen anything like that in the dispensaries I’ve been to.

Interesting. I've only seen and used manual grinders. How is that?
Amazon Mambo grinder works great. No more twisting hands just toggle switch, just be careful with clear cone as the tabs will break. I bought the larger one it comes with tube for pre rolls USB charge, charge last a long time .I've had it for over a year and enjoy it.

Still need to experiment with the UV and the ND4 filter, especially since I don't actually know what that last one does. :dopey:
UV filter cuts through haze in the atmosphere and could/should basically be on your lens at all times as a protector.

so the CPL filter in particular has been really useful for reducing reflections on peoples wonderful paint jobs. Still need to experiment with the UV and the ND4 filter, especially since I don't actually know what that last one does
The Polarising filter will likely do a lot of what the Neutral Density and UV filter do anyway, it's by far the most useful filter out of the 3. ND4 is worth about 2 stops, the polariser is probably between 1 and 2 so to unlock the additional benefit of the ND you've likely got to be shooting something a little bit specific in Manual mode. If you're dragging out a shot using shutter priority mode the camera will just be closing the aperture and knocking down the ISO anyway.

Experiment with it, but UV's are a bit of a waste of time in my humble opinion. Obviously they can offer protection for you lens, but really, they're no replacement for good lens cap discipline and a lens hood, both of which operate without putting and extra piece of cheap glass in front of your expensive glass. If you're anticipating things coming directly at the lens while you're shooting, the Polariser would still act as a sacrificial layer, but the UV might not be a bad idea, though in terms of picture quality I've never really noticed a benefit. The way I look at it, if the camera needed UV to be filtered, it'd be built in like IR, and if something as simple and as cheap as a UV filter was really any optical benefit, they'd be build into the lens anyway.

Anyhow...

It is fun when you go longer exposure on water... this was done without any filters but was at the limit of what I could do on the camera (f22, ISO-100), had I had either a polarising filter or ND I could have got the water a little less blown out and introduced a little DOF.

Swallow Falls by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

What a game though, thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Yeah, I've had my eye on it since release. Just been waiting for the right time to snag it thru a sale. I absolutely adore the look of the world. It's such a cool aesthetic

Last edited:
Since I derped at the book store last week and bought a duplicate Van Gogh book, I went back and got this Frida Kahlo book today.
View attachment 1311841
Awesome, planning on getting some more of these art books myself. Just grabbed an HR Giger one. Putting a picture in spoiler tags because I dunno if Giger's uhh... suggestive art style... will violate some terms and conditions. :lol:

20231220_142836.jpg

IMG_3921.jpeg

New digital indicator from Binford Tools, so I can measure tolerances of the crank bearings in my motorcycles. And provided that my race bike doesn’t need a new bottom end this rebuild, I also got a new top end kit to throw into her for this upcoming season.

Not pictured is a new Wiseco nylon hone brush to bring back the crosshatch in cylinders, along with a gallon of WD40 to soak engine parts in as well as loosening up the carbon buildup on power valves.

Awesome, planning on getting some more of these art books myself. Just grabbed an HR Giger one. Putting a picture in spoiler tags because I dunno if Giger's uhh... suggestive art style... will violate some terms and conditions. :lol:

I’ve got quite a few Giger books now. Pure genius.

You should check out the cool video thread for a related vid I just posted.

I’ve got quite a few Giger books now. Pure genius.

You should check out the cool video thread for a related vid I just posted.
I'm a fan of Giger thanks to Alien, the original film being my all time favorite.
I did indeed check out that video you posted and am currently watching the model building video series as well, awesome stuff.

I'm going to be adopting a stray cat next Friday(hopefully), after I take her in to get her exams and bloodwork test to make sure she's not carrying anything contagious, so decided to jump on some cat-related items that I've had in my Amazon cart for months.

716SeoyQVyS._AC_SX466_.jpg712-FZ+elSL._AC_SX466_.jpg61Ec9aE1ZuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
My inner child got the better of me during a trip to my local dispensary.

View attachment 1312230

I already had a top notch grinder, but it wasn’t a Pokéball.

Edit: seems not to grind as well as my previous grinder. The teeth aren’t as compact.
I have one, and you're not wrong. It looks nice but just wasn't as effective as my previous equipment.

I'm going to be adopting a stray cat next Friday(hopefully), after I take her in to get her exams and bloodwork test to make sure she's not carrying anything contagious, so decided to jump on some cat-related items that I've had in my Amazon cart for months.
Congratulations on the new cat. Looks like some fun stuff for it to play on.

Congratulations on the new cat. Looks like some fun stuff for it to play on.
I'm hoping! It's not guaranteed just yet, it'll depend entirely on the bloodwork tests really as I cant put my two boys in danger. It'll break my heart if not though, as shes an abused stray that her last owners left. She used to be scared of everything and everyone but has warmed up to me extremely over the last 6 months. If she does end up having something contagious, at least she'll have her shots and exams and will be healthier than before. Will still feed her as well as she waits for me every morning when I leave to work and is waiting on the porch when I get home, regardless if she has food.

I'd eat so many of those. I love everything stupidly spicy and those sound right up my alley.

Last edited:
Back