Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,618 comments
How are you liking it?

A good friend of mine has a couple of them. He makes me jealous every time I hear him say "Hi TV" to turn it on.

Well, it's certainly a big improvement over my SONY BX300... I've yet to find the correct colour/light-settings, but it's pretty good at the moment I think. I don't know if I speak to it, but that would be very cool!

I'll have to read up upon the last bit, to be honest, though. :D
Mine's a Philips 32PFL5008T/12, with Ambilight and Easy 3D. I think it's also what's considered a smart tv, so it might actually be possible to talk to it...
terminator363
That's awesome if only I had a girlfriend I could turn on by saying "Hi girlfriend".
Haha! :lol:

Last edited:
My parents use to have a tv that changed channel when I sneezed at the right frequency.

Ha Ha, We used to have a tv that changed channels only after getting up to walk across the room and turning a click dial :)

Dean J
Well, it's certainly a big improvement over my SONY BX300... I've yet to find the correct colour/light-settings, but it's pretty good at the moment I think. I don't know if I speak to it, but that would be very cool!

I'll have to read up upon the last bit, to be honest, though. :D
Mine's a Philips 32PFL5008T/12, with Ambilight and Easy 3D. I think it's also what's considered a smart tv, so it might actually be possible to talk to it...

Ummmm. Far as setting the color up correctly, I would use a nature channel and try to get the colors setup that way.

Also you could watch a animated movie to setup that too. Some games like GT5 could be a good way to level out the green and black colors. Or a golf channel may be a good way to do the same thing.

Overall it will take you a while to get it exactly the way you like it.

Also, that TV being a smart TV should have that option to speak to it. A lot of the new Samsung TVs have this option.

I want a TV I can turn on by speaking to it. :drool:
Me too, mainly because after sending the Dish remotes back I can't find the remote to the bedroom TV, which is purposely set in a place to make it hard to reach to keep Toddler hands away from it. And that situation was only made worse by my wife's seeming desire to stack boxes (some may call them full baskets if clean laundry) in that area.

Yeah me too, would be so useful telling it to turn on to a channel as I'm walking into the room. Especially as TV's these day take ages to turn on and change channel (its really annoying).
Ah youth. You shall never know the annoyance of letting the tubes warm up. And occasionally having to smack the side until it shows up clear.

[/FirstWorldProblems]

Last edited:
Ummmm. Far as setting the color up correctly, I would use a nature channel and try to get the colors setup that way.
Stay away from setting it up off f a TV station as they likely have their own color setting when broadcasting. You'd be much better off calibrating it with a Blu-Ray, specifically a Pixar/Disney with the Maximize your Home Theater guide (a DVD would obviously also work). They tell you what to look for and do with each setting before moving on to the next. It's rather foolproof. 👍
Overall it will take you a while to get it exactly the way you like it.
If it takes any longer than 15 minutes, you're doing it wrong. And this is coming from a guy that calibrated the flip down screen in his car for the kids to watch on road trips (read: I've calibrated every single display device I've ever owned) :lol:

TB
Stay away from setting it up off f a TV station as they likely have their own color setting when broadcasting. You'd be much better off calibrating it with a Blu-Ray, specifically a Pixar/Disney with the Maximize your Home Theater guide (a DVD would obviously also work). They tell you what to look for and do with each setting before moving on to the next. It's rather foolproof. 👍

If it takes any longer than 15 minutes, you're doing it wrong. And this is coming from a guy that calibrated the flip down screen in his car for the kids to watch on road trips (read: I've calibrated every single display device I've ever owned) :lol:

True true. That's why I usually look at a few different types of inputs. Not really needed though. I totally agree with you on animated movies being one of the best ways to calibrate.

I am not a expert or anything, it took me about 30 minutes or so to get it they way I likes. I just like tinkering I guess :lol:.

Yeah, I hear you. That's funny about the little car DVD players though, but hey, you got to make sure the kids are getting a perfect picture too.

TB

I've actually never seen that on the (one) Pixar DVD I own... Would it work if I found it on the internet on my PS3? :confused:

Edit: Would something like this work? (It's on Danish)

Last edited:
Up and Toy Story, among others, should have a Maximize your Home Theater in the settings. Fire that up, walk through the couple of steps, profit.

As for the YouTube video, you're likely going to have the same issue there as what I mentioned with TV channels. You'll get much better results with a DVD or Blu-Ray.

You can also use these steps too > Link To GTP Setup Thread< plenty of handy tips.

Also THX have an app for the iPhone that's really good.

On topic

Bought Jiro Dreams Of Sushi from iTunes as BD is only region 1.

Can you let me know what you think of Jiro Dreams Of Sushi? A local theatre is playing in and it looks interesting enough for me to want to get tickets to go see it.

myself a new TV to replace my old 26" one. This TV is 32" and is about the max size I can have if it was any bigger every time I open my bedroom door it would get a whack.

110012612-2-lg_32ln5400_fhd_led_lcd_tv.jpg

Can you let me know what you think of Jiro Dreams Of Sushi? A local theatre is playing in and it looks interesting enough for me to want to get tickets to go see it.

I've already watched it twice before and loved it. Great documentory i'm happy to recomend watching it.

GTAV-bundle.jpg

Yes, I already had GTA V, but my old PS3 broke and the cheapest way to get a new one was the GTA V bundle...

purchased GTA V for the Xbox 360, a microphone that broke right out of the package (**** madcatz) and a controller.

part of my amazon shipment came in too.

TB

If I change the color setting on a TV I find a "basketball" game (I don't watch basketball but the hardwood floors can help set the color and contrast. Try it.

TB
Up and Toy Story, among others, should have a Maximize your Home Theater in the settings. Fire that up, walk through the couple of steps, profit.

As for the YouTube video, you're likely going to have the same issue there as what I mentioned with TV channels. You'll get much better results with a DVD or Blu-Ray.
I'll see if anyone I know own either of the two 👍. Otherwise they're probably available at the market or something. :D

You can also use these steps too > Link To GTP Setup Thread< plenty of handy tips.

Also THX have an app for the iPhone that's really good.
I'll give those a try... Hopefully that'll help with those last tweaks I'm missing. 👍

Thanks for all the tips, everybody! :cheers:

Not too sure if this counts, but my pledge for $20 towards the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter went through yesterday evening.

mighty_no_9_funded.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

The $20 gets me a digital copy of the game on a platform of my choice when it's released in 2015 and my name in the credits. Woo!

Perixx PERIMICE-712B Wireless Mouse - $14.99:
41527tMtSbL.jpg

Perixx MX-1000 Iron Gaming Mouse - $19.99:
57136A3.jpg

Got them to replace two mice for daily use at my main computer(Iron mouse) and at the living room computer(Wireless mouse. Advertised to last 3 years on a set of AA batteries). Plus who can resist a mouse that looks like transformers!?

IMG_0006s.jpg

Spektrum DS6i 6 channel aircraft transmitter, Blade MSR 4 channel micro helicopter with two batteries, and an Axial hardened rear diff bevel gear. Also got more stuff on the way, but it hasn't arrived yet.

New running shoes because, believe it or not, I wore out the old ones by running. Saucony Triumph 10

saucony_triumph_10_mens_running_shoes_white.jpg

Spektrum DS6i 6 channel aircraft transmitter, Blade MSR 4 channel micro helicopter with two batteries, and an Axial hardened rear diff bevel gear. Also got more stuff on the way, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Are you just getting started in RC aviation? If you are you will love the DX6i.

Are you just getting started in RC aviation? If you are you will love the DX6i.

Kinda sorta. Started with an even smaller Blade Scout CX a couple years ago. Then kinda put R/C aircraft to the side as I went nuts with R/C cars. I plan on taking small steps, since it is bad enough that I crash my cars a lot :crazy:
Might get one of those E-Flight P-51D Mustangs soon, as it is cheap and uses the same batteries as the MSR.

Kinda sorta. Started with an even smaller Blade Scout CX a couple years ago. Then kinda put R/C aircraft to the side as I went nuts with R/C cars. I plan on taking small steps, since it is bad enough that I crash my cars a lot :crazy: Might get one of those E-Flight P-51D Mustangs soon, as it is cheap and uses the same batteries as the MSR.

My sister has a Blade Scout CX and sometimes I'll pull it out because it's a great indoor flyer. I currently have a MCX Tandem, 120SR, SR CP, EXI-450 Pro and a T-Rex 500. All are listed in order of easiest to hardest to fly. I'm currently at the SR CP. I would highly recommend the blade SR CP if you plan on moving to collective pitch helicopters.

Went on a bit of a shopping spree:

81%2BB4vfkElL._SL1500_.jpg

41rDnp5zDNL.jpg

51dlrvgn6UL.jpg

I've been using some pre-mixed stuff for the last month, but that stuff is way too expensive. Doesn't seem to work any better than the regular supps I've been using, no matter how many guys at my gym are swearing by it. Back to the basics it is, for me.

Back