Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,617 comments
I need some jeans that fit me as my waist size has dropped two inches, so I treated myself to a pair of Voi's:

norton_raw_back_2.jpg

TB
Chrismabirthiversary presents:

8" in-ceiling rear surround speakers, along with 100' of 14AWG speaker cable
6DRb1UA.jpg

MSI GTX770, along with Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Batman Arkham Origins

KFK5GfT.jpg

Onkyo TX-NR616, along with (3) pill cases for my son's medications

O1IJIzM.jpg
Very nice receiver, just bought the TX-NR626 a week ago and am very content with it.

Finally getting around to ordering this whilst still available. Having it shipped, though as it's just easier. :P Shame I won't be able to play it til' sometime next month.
b9700770-688b-4340-a8b5-c327538a4e2e.jpg

TB
Chrismabirthiversary presents:

8" in-ceiling rear surround speakers, along with 100' of 14AWG speaker cable

MSI GTX770, along with Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Batman Arkham Origins

Onkyo TX-NR616, along with (3) pill cases for my son's medicationsote]

Hahahaha, I see that we share the same holiday.

For mine, I raced towards a set of Fanatec ClubSport Pedals and a CSR Wheel.

CSP.jpg

This is actually my first foray into Fanatec hardware; I just couldn't resist the beauty of the CSPs. :drool:

Unfortunately, the CSPs didn't arrive problem free (bad hall sensor on the throttle), but everything was resolved within the week (communication with Germany and all). :cheers:

Very nice receiver, just bought the TX-NR626 a week ago and am very content with it.
I was looking at the 626 but went with the 616 for the higher power per channel, the additional audio formats supported, not needing wireless and the THX certification. Very glad to hear you like yours. I'm quite anxious to get mine set up. :D
Hahahaha, I see that we share the same holiday.
Happy Chrismabirthiversary! :cheers:

TB
I was looking at the 626 but went with the 616 for the higher power per channel, the additional audio formats supported, not needing wireless and the THX certification. Very glad to hear you like yours. I'm quite anxious to get mine set up. :D

Happy Chrismabirthiversary! :cheers:

Looks like a nice receiver with plenty of HDMI ports and I have to admit that I hadn't quite thought through the 3D angle where receivers are concerned. I suppose that when/if I get a 3DTV, I'll have to pass the HDMI direct to TV and then optical to the receiver.

I used to own an Onkyo and I have to say that I really appreciate how easy they are to setup and understand (especially compared with Denon). After my Onkyo kicked the bucket, I replaced it with a Denon AVR-1712; a lovely system, but Denon has a confusing lingo all their own (I actually found a Denon to English online dictionary :lol:).

Enjoy the setup and Haaaaaaaaaappy Chrismabirthiversary! :bowdown::cheers:

Looks like a nice receiver with plenty of HDMI ports and I have to admit that I hadn't quite thought through the 3D angle where receivers are concerned.
My PS3 will be the only input connected to the receiver, at least for the foreseeable future, and it'll be dumped out to the projector so all those inputs won't even be put to good use. I still really need to test a good 3D movie with it, too...
I suppose that when/if I get a 3DTV, I'll have to pass the HDMI direct to TV and then optical to the receiver.
Be warned that if you go that route using the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, using optical for audio will limit you to 5.1, even though optical from my Sony DVD player is fully capable of supporting 6.1. In all honesty, being able to enjoy 7.1 DTS Master Audio is the entire reason I wanted NEEDED a new receiver - 5.1 isn't cutting it. :lol:
I used to own an Onkyo and I have to say that I really appreciate how easy they are to setup and understand (especially compared with Denon). After my Onkyo kicked the bucket, I replaced it with a Denon AVR-1712; a lovely system, but Denon has a confusing lingo all their own (I actually found a Denon to English online dictionary :lol:).
Looking at the specs on the AVR-1712, with it rocking Pro Logic IIz and Audyssey, it looks like a solid piece of kit. 👍

After going from a Sony where you had to set the delay in milliseconds by ear (now relegated to garage duty) to my current on where you could measure the distance and it set the delay for you, the microphone calibration is, while easier, a little sad at the same time that I don't get to play with it. That just means more time enjoying that sweet, sweet audio, right? :dopey:

After my anal-retentive self is satisfied that the rear speaker locations aren't going to hit any floor joists or duct work when I cut the holes, that is. :scared: Like when the projector got mounted, I foresee lots and lots of measuring!

samsung-galaxy-s4-official-black.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S4, blown away by it so far. My HTC was slowly falling apart so I decided to upgrade. Got a great contract and didn't have to pay the £200 upfront cost for the handset either.

TB
My PS3 will be the only input connected to the receiver, at least for the foreseeable future, and it'll be dumped out to the projector so all those inputs won't even be put to good use. I still really need to test a good 3D movie with it, too...

They won't be put to good use yet, but every little object is becoming HDMI capable these days, so at least you're ready for the future. I'm already down 4 of 6 ports on mine. :scared:

TB
Be warned that if you go that route using the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, using optical for audio will limit you to 5.1, even though optical from my Sony DVD player is fully capable of supporting 6.1. In all honesty, being able to enjoy 7.1 DTS Master Audio is the entire reason I wanted NEEDED a new receiver - 5.1 isn't cutting it. :lol:

Oddly enough, it looks like I won't have to do that. When I picked up the receiver, I wasn't thinking about 3D, but now that I look back at the manual (damn I love pdf manuals), apparently it has 3D pass-through. :dunce: Now i just need the tv. :lol:

TB
Looking at the specs on the AVR-1712, with it rocking Pro Logic IIz and Audyssey, it looks like a solid piece of kit. 👍

Yeah, the Pro Logic IIz feature seems very interesting and I'd like to check it out, but I'm just not sure of the necessity. Maybe if I find some good speakers at a garage sale.

TB
After going from a Sony where you had to set the delay in milliseconds by ear (now relegated to garage duty) to my current on where you could measure the distance and it set the delay for you, the microphone calibration is, while easier, a little sad at the same time that I don't get to play with it. That just means more time enjoying that sweet, sweet audio, right? :dopey:

After my anal-retentive self is satisfied that the rear speaker locations aren't going to hit any floor joists or duct work when I cut the holes, that is. :scared: Like when the projector got mounted, I foresee lots and lots of measuring!

The mic calibration definitely saved time, which I instead spent to become proficient with the Denon lexicon.

It sounds like a you have a very sweet and gigantic setup. I've lately been thinking about going the projector route instead of a large LED. How do you like yours and how long do your bulbs last?

Last edited:
Oddly enough, it looks like I won't have to do that. When I picked up the receiver, I wasn't thinking about 3D, but now that I look back at the manual (damn I love pdf manuals), apparently it has 3D pass-through. :dunce:
Glad to hear it. 👍
Now i just need the tv. :lol:
And therein lies the rub. Do you have a female finance department to approve all purchases?
The mic calibration definitely saved time, which I instead spent to become proficient with the Denon lexicon.
Hopefully I won't have to do that with the Onkyo. :lol:
It sounds like a you have a very sweet and gigantic setup.
Compared to some it's an absolute joke but it certainly suits my needs very well. With what I've reused and bought new, I have about $2,500 in it. Looking through AVS, some don't have a problem throwing down $50,000. :scared:

As for "gigantic", I wouldn't go that far. The room is about 14'x22' so the THX Select2 Plus should be absolutely perfect. Now I just wish Amazon would hurry up and give me an expected delivery date. Speakers are supposed to show up on Friday, though.
I've lately been thinking about going the projector route instead of a large LED. How do you like yours and how long do your bulbs last?
It's hard to believe that I've only had it for about 3 months but I'm completely sold, buy you can probably pick up that from my review. After a certain size (somewhere north of 60"?) a projector is absolutely the way to go for $/".

As for the lamp, the W1070 us supposed to go for 6,000 hours on Eco. Unfortunately I found my way into the technician settings and reset the lamp timer a while ago so I'm not sure how much time I actually have on it. :lol:

Don't have a pic but...

Two 21 matured fillet steaks
Bottle of Cheateuneuf Du Pape
Packet of Star Anise
Knor stock pots (beef)
4 tins of Baxters Soup
2 boxes of all butter fudge
The Wolverine on bluray (for partner)
Mary Poppins Bluray (for me)

Well seeing as the cold weather cometh, after buying a new waterproof outer shell I thought I might as well get a mid-layer fleece and other bits.

So...

2 pair of RAB Powerstretch Grip gloves. (One pair for me and the other for my partner)

powerstretch_grip_glove_black.jpg

A Montane Medusa 32 pack to carry stuff to and from work, my previous pack didn't withstand Tuesdays deluge it got and it's contents got damp and cold, not good.

zoom_MED_3.jpg

A Marmot bobble hat don't have a pic of it.

And to act as an insulation layer under my RAB shell I got a RAB Shadow Hooded Fleece.

shadow_hoodie_slate_copy1.jpg

I also bought some thermals for my partner and some Nikwax sprays for our shoes/boots. This should keep the damp cold stuff at bay.

Back