Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,680 comments
The Backpack of Holding. It shall replace the crappy messenger bag I got from work for free.

BPoH1.jpg

BPoH2.jpg

BPoH3.jpg

BPoH4.jpg

That was just the start - I've dumped the crappy handle in favour of a paracord wrap and built a sheath from coroplast and tape.

View attachment 454814

And my purchases today were a new fishing pole, reel and line which cost far more than I planned to spend as I only went in to the shop for some lures. Some duct tape and paracord for the parang mods.View attachment 454816

I have no hesitation in assuming that you are actually the secret cult leader of some underground Chinese movement that comes out occasionally to fish, drink, and make sure the underbrush is cleared.

Edit: After talking with my father, who's grandfather served with the Gurkah of Nepal I'm told this is a Kukri blade, not a parang. The Parang hails from Malaysia while this blade is from Nepal / Pakistan region. I also got some great stories about the blades history but this isn't the thread for those.

My mother, for some obscure reason or another, used to scare me half to death when a kid by threatening me with 'Gurkahs' if she needed to get something done by me.
"I'll call the Gurkahs!" she used to say, with vivid descriptions of fierce, maniacal eyes and rather sharp knives they would produce at a moment's notice.
Though I grew up to learn that Gurkahs couldn't be summoned instantly with their kukris to discipline wayward adolescents, I still remain wary of them. And their kukris. Which is why I, myself, thought of Gurkahs when I first saw your knife. :)

Yep, that's a double French horn (F and B flat) on the left. My alto trombone is peeking into the top right. Not pictured are my 2 tenor trombones, bass trombone, euphonium, mellophonium, and frumpet. The only reason I can afford all of them is because I get a lot of them for ridiculously cheap on eBay, but bass and tenor trombone are how I make most of my living.

Thank you. 👍 Frumpet, eh? Like you actually get to play that? When? When you go hunting foxes?
Didn't Rossini write flugel horns into the William Tell overture? Or was that von Suppe's Light Cavalry . . ..

I did get a new concert flute recently - but it wasn't purchased; a friend of mine brought it over for me from overseas.
I am looking at a few more musical instruments, though - and there is a second-hand store near me that has a tempting array of them. The shopaholic syndrome . . . :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you. 👍 Frumpet, eh? Like you actually get to play that? When? When you go hunting foxes?

Frumpet is actually the most useless instrument ever made. Only ever produced by one manufacturer, it was designed to replace the French horn in marching bands and failed spectacularly, mostly because it fails spectacularly at being a good instrument. Fun to play, though.

Didn't Rossini write flugel horns into the William Tell overture? Or was that von Suppe's Light Cavalry . . ..

William Tell has 2 trumpets in E and Light Cavalry has 2 trumpets in B flat. I don't actually know of any orchestral rep that has flugelhorn in it, though the post horn solo in Mahler's 3rd symphony is sometimes played on one.

I did get a new concert flute recently - but it wasn't purchased; a friend of mine brought it over for me from overseas.

I've got two bass guitars and a violin (all of which I was given for free) that I plan to eventually learn to play. A flute would be interesting.

I am looking at a few more musical instruments, though - and there is a second-hand store near me that has a tempting array of them. The shopaholic syndrome . . . :lol:

We musicians call it Gear Acquisition Syndrome, or GAS for short. Unfortunately I am incurable.

@Mike Rotch If you didn't live more than 100 miles from my house, I'd come over and ask you to develop some of the B&W rolls I have waiting (for way too long) to be developed. :D 👍

@Mike Rotch

You've gone totally beast on the film photography. :D

Edit-

Picked up these today.

Farm Sim 2015 on PS4

And my "Kamasi Washington - The Epic" triple LP landed.

image.jpeg

A few more pics over in the vinyl thread of this lovely and fantastic LP.

I wanted some more gauges for my truck, but couldn't figure out what I wanted, so I ended up getting the Ultragauge MX that shows damn near everything.

5689981508_1da6f8b4cb.jpg

BM556S.jpg

Bought my little bro a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian for his birthday. Probably going to buy myself one as well in the near future since I was so impressed. Very nice EDC.

I wanted some more gauges for my truck, but couldn't figure out what I wanted, so I ended up getting the Ultragauge MX that shows damn near everything.

5689981508_1da6f8b4cb.jpg

That's a handy dandy little doodad. I wonder if something like that works on the Daihatsu.

My most recent purchases:

A Uniqlo and Lemaire wool-cashmere blend coat:

u8BHaMI.jpg

The collection sold out pretty quickly and the coats were one of the first to go - I walked into the Regent St. store and it was madness, so I doubled back to the Oxford St. store and I managed to snag the last one in my size, even though it was a lot less busy. Always wanted a longer coat and I just love how minimal the details are, I find that too many coats are just over designed.

Another Rolleiflex (a 3.5F this time):

XwBZj3W.jpg

Also I bought a Pentax 55/4 SMC for my Pentax 67 but that's sitting in the post office. Managed to get it for half the price they usually go for and it's one of the first lenses I wanted for the system.

But would connect to your PC.
Not a phone which can be mounted on the window.

No, that is correct, but the laptop would be for testing it. If that works, something like that Ultragauge would probably work too, and then I have that tachometer that I want.

That's a handy dandy little doodad. I wonder if something like that works on the Daihatsu.

I don't see what it wouldn't work if you had an OBDII port. You will only be able to access the information made available by the manufacture though, the MX allows you to do more stuff but you need to understand programming as far as I know. The only reason I got the MX is because they have it pre-loaded with stuff for that Tacoma.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Back