Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,629 comments
So having no experience at all with any of the Apple laptops, I'd really like to hear as many opinions as I can from those that do. Thanks!

Providing you've got the extra... some dollars to go for one rather than a Windows machine, I'm more than happy to recommend. I love the OS and the hardware its self - going from an HP Compaq to this MacBook Pro felt (quite literally felt) like going from the interior of a Chrysler to the interior of an Audi. I know everyone tells me that I could have had a faster processor, larger hard drive etc for the same price if I'd stuck with Windows, but personally I feel the premium was justified. This doesn't feel anywhere near as disposable as the Compaq, sorta like it'll last another 5 years. It probably won't in my hands, but meh.

Anyway, I could go on for years, so I'll shut up and let someone else have a go :P

DN, sorry to hear about the HP. My parents god bless um have been using Windows based dross for the past 10 years and still didn't know how to use it fully, so after having my mac for nearly a year i decided to buy them a macbook, and they love it, its easy to use and do all the things they want.

Its runs all the apps flawlessly and they haven't had a single problem with it, then again I've not had any problems with mine.

But seeing as this a thread of purchases, I got:

3 sheets of wrapping paper (no pic)
A good luck card (no pic)
The Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials Trilogy (no pic)

All of the above are for a girl leaving Yorkshire to go back to London with her Fiance.

and got myself this

5541699x.jpg

img0483za8.jpg

The X Files season 1 and 2 (with at least season 3 on the way in the mall for my birthday), The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, The Ninth Gate, Terminator 2 Extreme edition, Be Cool, Intermission, Ocean's 13, Bookies, 8 Heads In A Duffle Bag, The Fast and The Furious.

X Files season 1 and 2 were $20 a piece, T2 and The Ninth Gate were $10 for the two, and the rest of the movies were had for $35 total. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

My new pc :)
Intel E8400
BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1066ram
Visiontek Radeon 4850
640gig WD 7200rpm sata
COOLER MASTER Centurion 534
550watt Cooler Master psu

Thanks for the input on the Mac Books, I'll certainly have to do some more research on them,but they do sound very promising. 👍

The X Files season 1 and 2 (with at least season 3 on the way in the mall for my birthday), The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, The Ninth Gate, Terminator 2 Extreme edition, Be Cool, Intermission, Ocean's 13, Bookies, 8 Heads In A Duffle Bag, The Fast and The Furious.

Nice deal Wade... (would have been funny had Fargo been among the titles) ;)

I really enjoyed Ninth Gate... get's pretty twisted at the end, but overall a great story. 👍

I loved The Ninth Gate. Any recommendations for movies similar to that and Constantine and the like?

I will also resound the awesomeness that is the Macbook/Macbook Pro. I've been using a MBP for nearly 2 years and havn't had a single problem. I got my buddy to buy a Blackbook (black Macbook ;)) and he later went on to purchase his wife a 24" iMac. 👍

I loved The Ninth Gate. Any recommendations for movies similar to that and Constantine and the like?

The obvious classics are of course The Haunting (the original, not the disasterous remake!) , Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist, Omen, The Shinning, Carrie, The Devil's Advocate, and The Ring among others... but the far less obvious ones that I have truly enjoed:

514SM59NTNL._SS500_.jpg

Guillermo del Toro's masterpiece, El espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)

510ZH54MZKL._SS500_.jpg

Annaud's classic mystery, The Name of the Rose.

511WHGYR7QL._SS500_.jpg

A very underated, over hyped film that deservers serious attention, Angel Heart.

The_Third_Mother_poster.jpg

Argento's much under appreciated, La Terza Madre (Mother of Tears)

41RVHWFR20L._SS500_.jpg

Jacob's Ladder

That should keep you busy for a while... and looking over your back more than usual. ;)

Thanks. 👍 I'm not into the movies for a scare or anything, just those types of movies really interest me. Anything about the occult I find terribly interesting.

Providing you've got the extra... some dollars to go for one rather than a Windows machine, I'm more than happy to recommend. I love the OS and the hardware its self - going from an HP Compaq to this MacBook Pro felt (quite literally felt) like going from the interior of a Chrysler to the interior of an Audi. I know everyone tells me that I could have had a faster processor, larger hard drive etc for the same price if I'd stuck with Windows, but personally I feel the premium was justified. This doesn't feel anywhere near as disposable as the Compaq, sorta like it'll last another 5 years. It probably won't in my hands, but meh.

Anyway, I could go on for years, so I'll shut up and let someone else have a go :P
Mm, I definitely agree with Jon here, I got my Macbook Pro in October last year after being a Windows user since I first started using computers, I needed a laptop and the Macbook Pro was really the best one for me on the market. As far as build quality and fit and finish goes, it is fantastic, and after having a close look at my friend's fairly new Dell XPS notebook, you can really see and feel the difference, the Dell felt cheap and mass produced, whereas the Mac feels a little more upmarket and just nicer.
So yeah. No regrets on getting the MBP here, it's great.

Ooh, and my latest purchase was a movie ticket for The Dark Knight. :P

Well recently I have bought some DVDs.
miniimg0872gy2.jpg

And also some 13x6 Minilites
minilitesge9.jpg

And a box o trim pieces, Deluxe badge, inner and outer door handles and window winders for my car.
miniimg0869id7.jpg

I broke down and bought me one of these:

2696116407_3a63f86fe7.jpg

My friends were having such a good time playing, I figured I would join. Since they have the PS2 version, buying the PS3 guitar separate would be a good move. Using standard USB? What a thought!

Macbook Pro is awesome, but it is a bit on pricey side unless you find a great deal somewhere. However their touchpad works very weird, it takes so time to get used to.
If you rather go for a PC laptop, I would recommend Asus. Their build quality is better than hp, compaq and dell. Less overheating as well.

You know that I've got nothing to do when I take time to upload pictures...

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Triple Interface Hitachi 2.5" 320GB 5400RPM portable hard drive.

Soon to be transplanted into a Macbook Pro (you'll definitely get pictures. =D), leaving the stock drive in this enclosure for backup duty (Time Machine). Triple interface means Firewire 800, Firewire 400, and USB2.0 connectivity. It actually has two FW800 ports, but includes a cable that is Firewire 800 to Firewire 400. Actually, it includes cables for all three interfaces, and short ones at that! I've been playing with it on the PC and PS3 today, and thought that the drive was faulty when I kept hearing a loud click and would the write operation would lock when I'd try to copy files to it. It turns out the USB ports on my PC tower aren't putting out enough juice (probably from the same controller as two of the rear ports that are used) to adequately power it. Hooking up to an unused controller on the rear works fine so far. The click wasn't the click of a bad drive, but the drive heads parking. I'm not concerned about that at all since it will be swapped into the Mac, and the 200GB drive will use less power.

Blah blah blah...pictures. Sorry that the quality isn't too good. They were taken with my Glyde in a-not-so-well-lit-room.

Closeup of the drive label.

In its current position on top of my tower. In the middle of a Check Disk right now.

Moved to show the multiple ports. For size comparison, a Sharpie on top, Logitech VX Revolution mouse to the side.

And the rest of the stuff. Box, carrying case (has a divider to separate the drive from the cables or anything else you would put inside), and USB, FW400, and FW800 cables.

For $207 I'm happy with it. The power issue is a little annoying but not OWC's fault at all. Besides, I already had to get some help to get the rebate form via their LiveChat support. For some reason the item number was showing up as being a Samsung-based drive in their system. But we got that straightened out and he emailed me the rebate form (promotion ended Monday, but drive was purchased within the timeframe, so its eligible for a $30 Hitachi rebate until August 15th).

OWC seems like a great company to deal with and is highly recommended by tons of people at www.macrumors.com . I'll definitely buy from them again.

I'm not getting paid for this, so I'll leave it at that. :lol:

IT'S HERE!!!!:dopey:

htctouchdiamondofficial.jpg

And this
1/60 scale Gundam Exia Model

Exia photos is attached

Attachments

• Photo-0142.jpg
    Photo-0142.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo-0143.jpg
    Photo-0143.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 19
1193690278-2001BD.jpg

My first Blu-ray purchase...! Looks absolutely great, almost too great - you can make out so much more detail (including a few that you're probably not supposed to notice!) but the colours are vibrant and beautiful, especially on the Sony Bravia TV... Scaff has alot to answer for, since now I can feel a Blu-ray addiction coming on. Still, I don't intend to buy that many, but 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of (if not the only) one of my top 10 favourite movies which I do not own on DVD, hence it was the logical choice for my first Blu-ray purchase.

There's loads of documentaries on the disc, and my only grumbles are that it doesn't have an inlay card (handy if you store your collection in a leather multi-disc holder, which I do for my DVD's) and that the subtitles are hideously large and ugly (handy if you are watching the movie late at night and have the volume low...)

As for the film, it's all the more breathtaking in HD. I've always disagreed with those who think this film is boring or weird. As Arthur C. Clarke said, "If you come out of the film and you've understood it, then we've failed"... But this is Kubrick's masterpiece, which is an amazing achievement in itself, given the rest of his output.

Nice purchase, 2001 has to be one of my favourite films of all time. I really need to get it on Blu-Ray.

IMG_0275.jpg

Two tickets since April...both times because I was the last to hop on the brakes. Cops in this state are obsessed with writing speeding tickets. Around here, they are everywhere. Yesterday, there was a trooper parked in the woods. I've had enough. I don't drive very fast, but I'm 🤬 tired of looking behind trees, under rocks, and in my cereal bowl to make sure I'm not caught going 64. From now on, this little puppy will do the looking for me, while I concentrate on more important things, like...oh, I don't know...the road? Also, some Mazdaspeed parts are going to be installed next week which will probably attract extra attention from John Law...:D
Touring Mars
Scaff has alot to answer for, since now I can feel a Blu-ray addiction coming on.
As well you should. I look at my DVDs with scorn now :).

IMG_0275.jpg

Two tickets since April...both times because I was the last to hop on the brakes. Cops in this state are obsessed with writing speeding tickets. Around here, they are everywhere. Yesterday, there was a trooper parked in the woods. I've had enough. I don't drive very fast, but I'm 🤬 tired of looking behind trees, under rocks, and in my cereal bowl to make sure I'm not caught going 64. From now on, this little puppy will do the looking for me, while I concentrate on more important things, like...oh, I don't know...the road? Also, some Mazdaspeed parts are going to be installed next week which will probably attract extra attention from John Law...:D
Congrats. I love the V1, and it doesn't disappoint. 👍

IMG_0275.jpg

Nice. My dad had a Valentine, but they never recovered it after his car was stolen.

I forgot about this thread.
I just bought these BOMZ racing seats for Heathers 67 Mustang. Along with some brand new orange carpet too. We will eventualy get the black part covered in white. The price of these seats was very cheap.
I also bought a lot of stuff for my Camaro to get it ready for my Grattan road track event tomorrow.
orangeomxseatsdl8.jpg

Back