Starfield

I dunno, I like this method better really. Having the perk unlocks be attached to relatively simple gameplay tasks rather than arbitrary level locks means you can concentrate on specific skills if you want, rather than having to either sit on your upgrade points for 10+ levels or spread them into dump skills. Gaining XP doesn't seem to be that much slower from other games really, and there are some food items that can raise your XP gain for a while too. It's a lot more engaging than sitting in a corner casting a spell for two hours until you can spend another point of that specific type of magic.

You can unlock a perk that will highlight needed resources on the scanner, though it's a mid-tier option. Since a lot of people don't really bother with making their own upgrades and just use whatever they end up looting, getting stuck into being a full-on crafter is somethng you have to build up towards. The Trade Authority places seem to sell most resources in some quantity too, so that's a (somewhat expensive) option as well.

Generally anything that ends up in the Misc. tab of your inventory is junk and can be safely discarded if you want, something I learned thanks to Fallout 4 conditioning me to obsessively grab every roll of duct tape I could find since they used to be needed for upgrading. It's also noteworthy that when you hover over something that's used for crafting it'll say so in the tooltip description that comes up.

Though on both this and the previous point, something the game doesn't explain to you outright is that you can transfer items from your personal inventory to your ship's cargo at any time from the ship overview, and even craft with or sell stuff right out of the cargo hold without having to transfer it back to your person, so grabbing everything and then sorting through it later is somewhat less of an issue. And considering some of those junk items can be pretty valuable, packratting is still as much of a viable money making option in the early game as it is in any Bethesda game.
Thanks for the tip about the scanner. I guess it makes sense to have it unlock way later, if they want you to focus on crafting much later on. I guess I jumped the gun on this.

In terms of resource management, I know about the ship storage, companion storage, and even captains storage on the ship. It’s just, even not picking up junk, I have so many resources (since I mine everything while on foot on all the planets) that it just fills everything up and then since you need very specific resources for very specific upgrades you can‘t use them up.

Something I just learned about, but didn’t do yet, is that you have an infinite storage crate in your room at the Lodge, so I guess that’s what I’ll do - just dump all the resources there. Luckily, with fast travel, I can always get them back quick if I need to craft something down the line.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip about the scanner. I guess it makes sense to have it unlock way later, if they want you to focus on crafting much later on. I guess I jumped the gun on this.

In terms of resource management, I know about the ship storage, companion storage, and even captains storage on the ship. It’s just, even not picking up junk, I have so many resources (since I mine everything while on foot on all the planets) that it just fills everything up and then since you need very specific resources for very specific upgrades you can‘t use them up.

Something I just learned about, but didn’t do yet, is that you have an infinite storage crate in your room at the Lodge, so I guess that’s what I’ll do - just dump all the resources there. Luckily, with fast travel, I can always get them back quick if I need to craft something down the line.
I recommend getting up your piloting skill to get to Class B ships.

Class B can handle larger mass ships (storage space takes a lot of mass) better than Class A.

I've learned something very fun about low gravity environments: your mines and grenades are affected by the low gravity as well, and if you look straight forward when deploying a mine it doesn't plop to the ground but floats forwards for a pretty good distance. And while enemies make an effort to dodge grenades that come their way, they seem to do nothing about the big death puck slowly gliding right at their dumb faces.

And ragdolls are also affected by low gravity, so the resulting explosion makes for some truly hilarious acrobatics if you do this outside.
I did notice that the Lodge has all the relevent crafting stations in its basement, but that hasn't stopped me from swapping my ship's hab module out for an engineering one and using it as a mobile factory. I'm thinking of renaming it "Manifest Destiny", just to really let that gross alien nature out there know who the boss is.

I've learned something very fun about low gravity environments
Zero-G environments are even funnier. Fire a shotgun and you are propelled backwards. :lol:
I did notice that the Lodge has all the relevent crafting stations in its basement, but that hasn't stopped me from swapping my ship's hab module out for an engineering one and using it as a mobile factory.
Good approach. I found out that in your house you have no access to your ship inventory, which kind of sucks if you want to do some serious crafting.

I´m fully invested now. 20hrs in - only done 2 story missions so far.

Absolutely love it.

My wishlist for a future patch would be:

• More aim assist for controllers
  • I want to be able to compare gear while looting and not only when it´s in my inventory already.
  • I want to be able to walk around in my ship while in orbit
  • I want to be able to set a course and have the ship actually fly to the destination and not warp. Don´t make it 10 hours, but a couple of minutes? Sure.
  • Don´t compare any gun to the gun I have currently equipped, but to guns in my inventory of the same (ammo) type.
  • More windows in spaceships

EDIT: I bet most of those things are already in the game and I just have not figured them out yet.

Last edited:
I've picked it up as well and played a bit this week-end, probably around 4hours. So far, I really like the graphic and the world, the story isnt really up there yet, there's way too much things to loot and not enough space, already got a you carry too much weight after the first abandonned facility even when I tried to be cautious with what I picked.

As for the bad points, the UI is absolutely terrible and it's a nightmare to navigate, New Atlantis could use a couple of fast travel points or a better map, especially when it's that big. Also the skill tree is a bit overwhelming. And can we talk about the AI a bit ? The enemies makes some weird choice and take a long while to notice you when you enter a room even with a big robots next to you. Gonna put it aside for the moment waiting a bit to see what the mod community will do.

I think the game was a bit too hyped and I agree with ign rating so far. We'll see if that goes up in the futur when I'll put more serious hours into it.

I've picked it up as well and played a bit this week-end, probably around 4hours. So far, I really like the graphic and the world, the story isnt really up there yet, there's way too much things to loot and not enough space, already got a you carry too much weight after the first abandonned facility even when I tried to be cautious with what I picked.

As for the bad points, the UI is absolutely terrible and it's a nightmare to navigate, New Atlantis could use a couple of fast travel points or a better map, especially when it's that big. Also the skill tree is a bit overwhelming. And can we talk about the AI a bit ? The enemies makes some weird choice and take a long while to notice you when you enter a room even with a big robots next to you. Gonna put it aside for the moment waiting a bit to see what the mod community will do.

I think the game was a bit too hyped and I agree with ign rating so far. We'll see if that goes up in the futur when I'll put more serious hours into it.
New Atlantis does have fast travel points.

You have to play a little more than four hours to start expanding your storage. You can add storage to your ship or build your own outposts for storage. They also have vendors all over the place to help you off-load it.

Last edited:
Inventory management is classic early game open-world problems, especially Bethesda ones. It's all part of the charm IMO. You pick everything up because you don't know what's important and what's just pure junk, depending on what sort of 'build' direction you take your character. I played a lot of Fallout 76 and they were constantly tweaking the maximum carry weight as they updated the game. I know this isn't online like FO76, so it doesn't suffer from the same 'maximum items on a server' issues, but if enough players complain, they may well adjust it with an update somewhere down the line.

Absolutely love it.

• I want to be able to compare gear while looting and not only when it´s in my inventory already.
  • I want to be able to set a course and have the ship actually fly to the destination and not warp. Don´t make it 10 hours, but a couple of minutes? Sure.
  • Don´t compare any gun to the gun I have currently equipped, but to guns in my inventory of the same (ammo) type.

EDIT: I bet most of those things are already in the game and I just have not figured them out yet.
I dont have the game,,but i agree with travelling a little in real-time within a solar system.

I saw a video showing the planets, satellites, etc are 3d objects, and distance somewhat to scale, so it be possible maybe.

Only thing is it seems debris etc is spawned only near around your ship.
if they can add spawn of objects while you move within a system..

And being able to walk around your ship while in orbit, for immersion.
I thought it be already a feature.
It be nice also if you could space walk outside your ship a little, maybe look at and repair damage.

Absolutely love it.

You can walk around. Just hold B on the controller.

You should be able to add windows by customizing or custom building a ship.

Other things you mention Id like to see as well.

One request for improvements I have is directly consuming food items you find instead of first picking them up and then consuming. Also would be nice if health items were organized by category, like persuasion items in their own tab so you don’t have to scroll through everything.

Basically, the UI/QoL is kind of the biggest issue with the game, which is great. It’s either going to be patched or mods will easily improve it.

I'm downloading the standard Starfield from Steam right now (it was an AMD reward), and it is also waiting for takeoff in my Series X.

My PC specs: Core i3-12100F/RX 6650 XT; 16GB RAM; 1TB M.2 SSD; B660 mobo.
Me: Are you ready?
Them: Dude, we have been 3 days on the job, c'mon...
Me: QUIET!!!

The more I play, the more I'm getting into this game. In my last session, I stumbled on a farm just south of New Atlantis with a ship, the people there weren't hostile, so I just walked onto the ship, hacked the door, and flew off with it.

Landed back in New Atlantis, started in a new series of quests where I've been running into Terrormorphs and the story behind them, which seems decent so far.

I have the Kid Stuff trait, so my parents have popped up at the Constallation HQ already and given me a couple of free gifts.

Last edited:
There are a ton of great storylines that you can randomly fall into.

I fell into a UC SysDef espionage campaign, took about 12 hours to complete.

I just recently fell into a UC marines campaign by just responding to a distress call.

There are a lot of factions you can join too, with their own storylines.

This is why I don't care about reviews because there is no way they even scratched the surface of all this game has. If all you are going to do is player the main story and ignore everything else than you are doing yourself a major disservice.

I can't wait for an Event Horizon mod encounter, or an Alien storyline. Starship Troopers storyline or even a Cowboy Bebop storyline.

Last edited:
My PC specs: Core i3-12100F/RX 6650 XT; 16GB RAM; 1TB M.2 SSD; B660 mobo.
I was going to say that your PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements, but people have got it working just fine on the Ally and other handhelds, so I think that with some tweaking you can get it to run fairly decent. 👍

I was going to say that your PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements, but people have got it working just fine on the Ally and other handhelds, so I think that with some tweaking you can get it to run fairly decent. 👍
And for those of us with Nvidia GPU's, there's already a mod that enables DLSSS to increase FPS. I'm getting about 20FPS more with the DLSS mod than I was getting without it.

And for those of us with Nvidia GPU's, there's already a mod that enables DLSSS to increase FPS. I'm getting about 20FPS more with the DLSS mod than I was getting without it.
On my 3060ti/i7-11700 it's about 10%, which boils down to 5-6 compared to FRS2. But that's not the most important benefit for me. FSR does a decent job performance wise, but it's just so blurry/pixelated compared to DLSS, esp. when viewing in the distance. That's where DLSS and its AI magic really shine. To mimic the 'Quality' DLSS preset, the rendering resolution should be set at 67%. I went for the ReShade version of the plugin as the standalone doesn't have a post-scaling sharpening filter. The ReShade version of the plugin has a CAS sharpening filter added. Looks amazing, plays well too. 👍

@Pearl Jam : Should be fine, after some tweaks.

Last edited:
It's now the 6th and the game still isn't unlocked to play. What time do Microsoft consider the day to start at?

Anybody got tips for space combat? It feels like if I’m 1 on 1 against a ship I can manage, but when they have 3 or more ships I just get destroyed. I even upgraded my ship components a bit as far as shield and weapons go, but I’m still flying the very first one

Anybody got tips for space combat? It feels like if I’m 1 on 1 against a ship I can manage, but when they have 3 or more ships I just get destroyed. I even upgraded my ship components a bit as far as shield and weapons go, but I’m still flying the very first one
I generally use targeting mode on the highest level ship and attack that first, when an enemy ship is targeted it causes them to attack slightly slower and you'll knock out random subsystems as you damage them, so they can't fight back as effectively (there's also a Targeting perk that messes with them even more as you rank it up). If you keep moving and chasing the target you're after, the other ships will get split up and have a difficult time landing hits since they're usually pretty bad at leading their shots unless you're going in a straight line. And it probably goes without saying but avoid going head-on with enemy ships, because they will usually win any DPS race so you really don't want to be facetanking them. Also if you knock out the leader the others might panic and try to grav jump out of there, which makes them stop shooting at you.

You'll probably want to invest in an upgraded reactor, since that'll give you more power points to allocate to your weapons and shields so you don't have to waste time shuffling power around like you were going through fuel maps in an F1 car. Better engines are good to have too since you get a faster cruising speed, which also makes you harder to hit.

Screenshot 2023-09-05 220706.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 220837.png
Screenshot 2023-09-05 220745.png
Screenshot 2023-09-05 220809.png
Upgraded to Class C parts, man that was EXPENSIVE.

Screenshot 2023-09-05 195419.png

Started working on outpost building and resource collection/management.

Last edited:
So, I launched first on Xbox series X and went smoothly, 30 fps didn't bother me at all, but I did notice that the textures are really low resolution when up-close.
But launching it on my newly built PC was a revelation. Apparently, nobody told my "lowly" 4-core Intel CPU that it doesn't meet the suggested requirements! I have been playing at medium settings (upscaling from 64%) comfortably over 60 fps outdoors (70-80 on average) and around 100 fps indoors (!) and I have noticed how small the load is on the CPU at 10% at most, while my RX 6650 XT is at 99% use, taking about 14 GB of RAM (temp 71 C).

I even played on the keyboard after ages and survived my first space combat, but I will probably resort to a controller most of the time.

Not bad for a complete noob that built it after watching way too many videos off YouTube...

Bloody nice. I've put three hours in and I'd give it 4/5. If it was 60fps and the combat was a little closer to Destiny it would be a 5.

There are quest lines that give you ships. One in particular makes short work of enemies.

There are quest lines that give you ships. One in particular makes short work of enemies.
Hopefully at least some as part of the main quest. I was mixing in a lot of side content but feels like main story is starting to escalate quickly now and I’m getting focused on that.

Hopefully at least some as part of the main quest.
Related to or spawned from, but not necessarily in the main quest. I suggest following the 'Secret Outpost' quest if you want a ship that quite literally instills fear in enemies.

I thought about upgrading the frontier, but I'm going for specific roles for each ship.

Hopefully at least some as part of the main quest. I was mixing in a lot of side content but feels like main story is starting to escalate quickly now and I’m getting focused on that.
A moment ago I was simply exploring a barren planet and I ran into an industrial outpost. When I walked there, I saw an Ecliptic Stiletto land there. So I walked right up to it, disposed of the pilot and two crew members, and presto: new ship. :lol:

Back