Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,670 comments
^Is that yours? That engine bay doesn't look like my engine.

BTW, how much more power would you think your K&N filter gave you? I can't find a specific estimate for an Essex V6 4.2, but the rates for other cars vary from 1 to 25 hp. It felt like about 8 to me, so I usually say I've got 210 horsepower.

BTW, how much more power would you think your K&N filter gave you? I can't find a specific estimate for an Essex V6 4.2, but the rates for other cars vary from 1 to 25 hp. It felt like about 8 to me, so I usually say I've got 210 horsepower.

Ye, that's mine. And it shouldn't look like yours. xD That's a 3.0 V6.

And I'd say some odd 10, maybe 13 hp tops. But of course there's quality difference between 10 year old OEM replacement air filters and brand new performance filters.

But let's see, my truck weighs about 3700 pounds, with me in it, and it's making a little less hp.

And not to mention, my truck is like 18 years older than yours with 30,000 less miles. xD

That's even worse. Steel wheels look ghetto.

Well they're still better than 22 inch chrome rims.

Last edited:
3180827312_c6d62fe51e_o.jpg

This is on 22's

Don't waste your money on an intake or filter. They don't do anything.

Don't waste your money on an intake or filter. They don't do anything.

That's a different story for my truck...

Because it really depends on your definition of "intake".

Last edited:
In my experience all they did was free up lost power in the box you could have gotten back by taking the lid off the air box, if that. Otherwise I have never seen any noticeable power gains on any application during various dyno tests. You would have better luck dumping that money on a pair of headers than buying a filter. Those are just replacements for stock ones when they wear out. Don't waste your money. That's coming from a mechanic. Sometimes a new part will make you think you gained something even if you really gain nothing.

As far as intake it depends on the setup and systems but manifolds and other parts tend to be worth the money. If you want more power don't waste your money on a V6 that aren't even that great to begin with and save up for a different motor. Typically for the cost of a pair of decent headers on a V6 you can go pull a running V8 put of the junkyard that will bolt right in and 🤬 on what you had in it before. Sometimes finding headers for them can e a nightmare. If you find a pair then you have to make sure the bolt Patterns match up. Not worth it for the minimal gain you'll see anyway.

In my experience all they did was free up lost power in the box you could have gotten back by taking the lid off the air box, if that. Otherwise I have never seen any noticeable power gains on any application during various dyno tests. You would have better luck dumping that money on a pair of headers than buying a filter. Those are just replacements for stock ones when they wear out. Don't waste your money. That's coming from a mechanic. Sometimes a new part will make you think you gained something even if you really gain nothing.

As far as intake it depends on the setup and systems but manifolds and other parts tend to be worth the money. If you want more power don't waste your money on a V6 that aren't even that great to begin with and save up for a different motor. Typically for the cost of a pair of decent headers on a V6 you can go pull a running V8 put of the junkyard that will bolt right in and 🤬 on what you had in it before. Sometimes finding headers for them can e a nightmare. If you find a pair then you have to make sure the bolt Patterns match up. Not worth it for the minimal gain you'll see anyway.

I agree with the second part, headers don't do much, but the power gains depend on how the OEM manifolds are designed anyway. As for my V6, I can order headers from Summit for 200 bucks that was custom made to fit the Pathfinder (same as my truck but with a different body).. but I might just skip that and aim for the intake.

With my truck, the air is pulled from the driver's side front wheel which is actually pretty cold. And for my model engine, it goes straight to the air cleaner.. and it requires a round filter in that cleaner housing.. And also, keep in mind a brand new filter is better than a 10 year old one. Going from Throttle Body injection to Multi Port injection will be worth it. And if I felt like it, I could get the VG30E exhaust manifold from a Z31 and actually have a local exhaust shop make it all work for cheap. So mainly I'd switch the manifold for the forced induction options and etc. Because the air cleaner I have has a rectangular opening. And well V8 isn't in my ballpark... seeing as I'd have to mod my trans tunnel, and I don't even know if anything over 3.5 liters will fit in that engine bay.. and tell me a V8 that would bolt into a truck made in production with 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders... But the 3.3l SOHC supercharged Xterra manifold would even fit in my truck.. and the stock internals can handle up to 500hp with minimal issues.

I agree with the second part, headers don't do much, but the power gains depend on how the OEM manifolds are designed anyway. As for my V6, I can order headers from Summit for 200 bucks that was custom made to fit the Pathfinder (same as my truck but with a different body).. but I might just skip that and aim for the intake.

That's the thing. For $200 you might as well go pull a running V8 out of some '70s junker and dump it in :lol:

At least if it's American that is.

I find headers to be much more responsive with V8s over V6s anyways.

With my truck, the air is pulled from the driver's side front wheel which is actually pretty cold. And for my model engine, it goes straight to the air cleaner.. and it requires a round filter in that cleaner housing.. And also, keep in mind a brand new filter is better than a 10 year old one.

I agree with you a new filter is always better than an old one, no denying that. It's just that so many people believe the hype that theirs big power to be made with a filter....and it's just that; a filter. If anything, they restrictflow.

Going from Throttle Body injection to Multi Port injection will be worth it.

Yes switching injection can be worth it if it's an upgrade over stock parts.

. And well V8 isn't in my ballpark... seeing as I'd have to mod my trans tunnel, and I don't even know if anything over 3.5 liters will fit in that engine bay.. and tell me a V8 that would bolt into a truck made in production with 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders... But the 3.3l SOHC supercharged Xterra manifold would even fit in my truck.. and the stock internals can handle up to 500hp with minimal issues.

Yeah with your truck it would be a bit tough. I was more so referring to Jmoney's case over yours.

Also, did you get my PM?

That's the thing. For $200 you might as well go pull a running V8 out of some '70s junker and dump it in :lol:

At least if it's American that is.

I find headers to be much more responsive with V8s over V6s anyways.

I agree with you a new filter is always better than an old one, no denying that. It's just that so many people believe the hype that theirs big power to be made with a filter....and it's just that; a filter. If anything, they restrictflow.

Yes switching injection can be worth it if it's an upgrade over stock parts.

Yeah with your truck it would be a bit tough. I was more so referring to Jmoney's case over yours.

Also, did you get my PM?

Yes I did. :P

And yeah no... mine's an import so quite the fab job to be done.

May as well just get a forced induction exhaust huh? xD

I know there's not real huge or very noticeable gains from just a filter. The most I've found is a less restrictive exhaust and the ignition system.

And I'd believe 15 hp gains from a manifold is an upgrade. But if I was getting a new engine, I'd have to go with, people are gonna think I'm typical, an RBxxDE or a 1J or 2JZGE.

And I'd believe 15 hp gains from a manifold is an upgrade. But if I was getting a new engine, I'd have to go with, people are gonna think I'm typical, an RBxxDE or a 1J or 2JZGE.

For sure, I'd say 10hp or so is definitely not out of the question with an aftermarket manifold 👍

For sure, I'd say 10hp or so is definitely not out of the question with an aftermarket manifold 👍

That's just the hp difference between the two model year engines. But that's without porting and polishing.

And the ONLY thing that was different between those is all you need to do the swap. The ECU, wiring harness, Intake manifold upper and lower, and an air filter to fit that so you're not pulling dirty air into your engine.

I've got some 3M Black Gloss wrap leftover from my dad's work to his 911. Does anybody have any good ideas for something I could do with it on my truck?

Back