Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,670 comments
I think they look just like the old racecars. There have always been 911s with big wide fenders.
porsche-924.2000x1333.Jul-24-2013_13.24.56.677520.jpg

But the wheels are too big and graphics are silly on the RWB cars.

I think they look just like the old racecars. There have always been 911s with big wide fenders.
porsche-924.2000x1333.Jul-24-2013_13.24.56.677520.jpg
But then they lower them excessively and throw on trendy Japanese tuner wheels and then let them sit. Show them off.

I do agree that they are usually too low, but this car does run a 0:57 around Tsukuba. (I know it isn't tasteful) Thankfully a lot of the Japan based builds get tracked fairly often. I've never seen a US built RWB on the track at all. Just a show car....
RWB-Rotana-07.jpg

71140ef164d9a6d43d4e103daf66a4d2.jpg

Notice how in both pics of them on the track the rear bumpers have been removed.

Notice how in both pics of them on the track the rear bumpers have been removed.
Not exactly tasteful, but in those instances it's likely due to them being tracked and abused--which I can appreciate. Watch, now the hipster poseurs will start removing the bumpers to get that look.

I just thought maybe the cars ran so low that bumpers would get scraped or destroyed on the track.

I know but why not just make the car run a proper ride height.

smiley-angry013.gif

I am so unbelievably tired of RWB. There's a reason the flagship Porsche's shape hasn't been changed significantly for the past 50 years. 🤬 hipsters.

You sound equally 'hipster', whining about how tired you are of something that's otherwise relatively popular...

Anyway, I wasn't aware that the 'flagship Porsche's shape' was the fenders and wing - I bet the Turbo and the 4S/GT3/RS/etc give you nightmares with their wider rear and spoilers, oh the horror. There are plenty of cars modified to far less tasteful extents, calm down.

You sound equally 'hipster', whining about how tired you are of something that's otherwise relatively popular...

Anyway, I wasn't aware that the 'flagship Porsche's shape' was the fenders and wing - I bet the Turbo and the 4S/GT3/RS/etc give you nightmares with their wider rear and spoilers, oh the horror. There are plenty of cars modified to far less tasteful extents, calm down.
Popular doesn't equate to tasteful, one car's modification's tastefulness doesn't dictate another's and repetition (how many RWB cars are there? How different are they, really?) doesn't simulate tastefulness. Bolt-on fenders and wings have their place--my opinion is that their place is not on something modified as the RWB cars are with their excessive lowered ride height and wonky alignments and wheel offsets ("stance yo").

You'd think I was the only one disagreeing with others' ideas of tasteful in this thread--I wasn't even the first to do so.

I do agree that they are usually too low, but this car does run a 0:57 around Tsukuba. (I know it isn't tasteful) Thankfully a lot of the Japan based builds get tracked fairly often. I've never seen a US built RWB on the track at all. Just a show car....

71140ef164d9a6d43d4e103daf66a4d2.jpg
The ride height isn't what's impractical (for a track car); compare that to the 991 RSR:

manthey-racing-porsche-911-rsr-991--lieb-32178.jpg

But the tyres seem so huge compared to the wheel arches that it looks like there's going to be constant rubbing going on. Or at least while the car's suspension is compression ever so slightly.

Personally, I don't like road cars that are that low. Neither the looks nor the impaired practicality, but that's just me.

Can't seem to find a picture, but yes they do rub a bit even when they do raise it for track use.

...but so does my track car lol. Tires are self clearancing. :sly:

EDIT: You can see the front tire hitting the fender here. Little bit of smoke. This was from a 12hr amateur endurance race.
Larry_Chen_idlers12hours-20.jpg

Last edited:
So let's clarify--and perhaps unruffle some feathers: I have nothing against the modifications done to the tracked cars that actually make them perform better on the track, but that isn't necessarily tasteful (as has been said plenty in this thread); it's purposeful. That said, I don't like the same modifications done to the cars that don't see any track time because I feel they negatively impact the car's appearance and, in some instances, its performance.

Rockin them Einkei's. What do you guys think about rear camber? I've always seen Beetle's with rear camber (to fit under the wheel arches).
Took a long time to get to this one, I saw it asked but was too focused on other things to address it at the time. Rear camber on Beetles is less about fender clearance and more about the nature of the car's suspension. Early models (referred to as 'swingaxle') only had inner pivots and resulted in an obscene amount of camber, while later ('IRS') models had dual pivots but such short trailing arms that the tops of the tires still naturally drew in. You can almost think of a Beetle as a reversed Ford Ranger in that the truck's I-beams caused excessive camber as the suspension traveled while the solid rear remained true (early VWs use a beam front with dual link arms that allow the suspension to move up and down without drawing inward).

Edit: A couple pictures to illustrate.

Swingaxle
1022490d1289613444-transmission-installation-vw-beetle-161520-transmission-installation-vw-beetle-100-1146.jpg

IRS
235899.jpg

Last edited:
997/GT3RS nose on a 986 and the full RS treatment otherwise? If the GT3RS didn't exist, I would agree. But it does and this is a respectable homage to it.

Technically speaking, it's no better than the owner of a base model Civic putting Type R paraphernalia on their car, or a Skyline owner just slapping on a GT-R badge. If anything, it's worse since it's paying 'homage' to a completely different, unrelated model. So I wouldn't deem it tasteful at all.

Technically speaking, it's no better than the owner of a base model Civic putting Type R paraphernalia on their car, or a Skyline owner just slapping on a GT-R badge.
Except for the fact that it required a bit more than floss and some fresh double-stick tape. But hey, to each their own.

Back