The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
Morning, Moon, and Mercury
MoonMercuryBrisbane_Mudge.jpg

Venus.​

NASA thinks it's Mercury! :confused:

Last week Mercury wandered far to the west of the Sun. As the solar system's innermost planet neared its greatest elongation or greatest angle from the Sun (for this apparition about 27 degrees) it was joined by an old crescent Moon. The conjunction was an engaging sight for early morning risers in the southern hemisphere. There the pair rose together in predawn skies, climbing high above the horizon along a steeply inclined ecliptic plane. This well composed sequence captures the rising Moon and Mercury above the city lights of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. A stack of digital images, it consists of an exposure made every 3 minutes beginning at 4:15 am local time on April 19. Mercury's track is at the far right, separated from the Moon's path by about 8 degrees.

Neal

Last week Mercury wandered far to the west of the Sun. As the solar system's innermost planet neared its greatest elongation or greatest angle from the Sun (for this apparition about 27 degrees) it was joined by an old crescent Moon. The conjunction was an engaging sight for early morning risers in the southern hemisphere. There the pair rose together in predawn skies, climbing high above the horizon along a steeply inclined ecliptic plane. This well composed sequence captures the rising Moon and Mercury above the city lights of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. A stack of digital images, it consists of an exposure made every 3 minutes beginning at 4:15 am local time on April 19. Mercury's track is at the far right, separated from the Moon's path by about 8 degrees.

Not even kidding but I could well have seen that and payed no attention whatsoever hahaha

I guess sunrise images in the southern hemisphere look more like sunset images in the northern hemisphere. Mercury spends most it's time lost in the sunlight though.

Damned right! Russians are definatly some tough badasses!

Tough badasses in a bad way.... My buddy was kicked in to hospital twice in one week becaus they thought he was German. (Not saying all Russians are like this, but they are pretty agressive :scared: )

^^ That's pretty cool. Is that permanent? I could have my world-domination fortress hidden there. :D

524240_359723377396669_130940650274944_880199_60761560_n.jpg

World's first overhead electric railway. 1891, Liverpool, Lancashire.

Liverpool_Overhead_Railway_%28All_About_Railways%2C_Hartnell%29.jpg

Photograph of Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington. c.1844.

Specifically, it's a daguerreotype, but none-the-less this is an actual photograph of the man who actually defeated Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815 and was twice Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in the early half of the 19th century.
Duke_of_Wellington_Photo.jpg

I find photos of historical figures who are better known in paintings hugely fascinating. Here's a genuine photograph of William Gladstone in 1861.

William_Gladstone_by_Mayall%2C_1861.jpg

Last edited:
Thought this was pretty cool:

560325_437064989640541_224356170911425_1871354_436377875_n.jpg

Does anyone know if it's real or a "scam"?

I think this is quite possibly 100% real. If something like pencils from a few pages back can be achieved, then there's no obstacles - except amazing skills - in doing something like that.

Tough badasses in a bad way.... My buddy was kicked in to hospital twice in one week becaus they thought he was German. (Not saying all Russians are like this, but they are pretty agressive :scared: )

This. Funny thing is, I'm both German and Russian, should get these suckers confused long enough, so that I can flee lol.

Russians on holiday. That's something you should avoid.

Also this 100X.

I think this is quite possibly 100% real. If something like pencils from a few pages back can be achieved, then there's no obstacles - except amazing skills - in doing something like that.

Agree. Although some sort of background info could have been good. But regardless, I believe that's entirely real.

Don't have any info on it, I just stumbled on the image while on google search.

But yeah, looking at it with more attention, and having already seen some pretty amazing stuff done by hand in this very thread, It is very possibly legit. 👍

World's first overhead electric railway. 1891, Liverpool, Lancashire.

The Liverpool Overhead Railway is fondly remembered by people who used to work in town and the docks before it was closed in the 50's, asking an oldie about it is guaranteed to start the waffling for a good couple of house ;) Also Liverpool is no longer in Lancashire but was at the time of the overhead railway.

Godafoss, Iceland
godafoss-iceland-haarberg_51544_990x742.jpg

Alatna River Valley, Gates of the Arctic
alatna-river-alaska-brown_51543_990x742.jpg

Aurora Over Raufarhöfn
arctichenge_vetter_960.jpg

I find photos of historical figures who are better known in paintings hugely fascinating. Here's a genuine photograph of William Gladstone in 1861.

Here's some more:

Frédéric Chopin, taken in 1849.

433px-Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Chopin_by_Bisson%2C_1849.png

Robert Schumann, taken in 1850.

439px-Schumann-photo1850.jpg

Hector Berlioz, taken in 1855.

Hector_Berlioz_Crop.jpg

Don't have any info on it, I just stumbled on the image while on google search.

But yeah, looking at it with more attention, and having already seen some pretty amazing stuff done by hand in this very thread, It is very possibly legit. 👍

There is an artist called Peter Callesen he does this and his work is astonishing.

292658655_d7578d1a27_o.jpg

292455719_ce3bc60fe6_o.jpg

292455716_14207bf941_o.jpg

292338661_a22fcfac89_o.jpg

292338912_c8b32239e7_o.jpg

292338886_6eaeb42710_o.jpg

292338865_eec41abc94_o.jpg

292339002_0adbdacde4_o.jpg

292424289_618ae44a0f_o.jpg

292424288_e0c57334fa_o.jpg

292338853_daf5dd6d6c_o.jpg

292366814_673e70a469_o.jpg

This is by Richard Sweeney also a paper craft.

292395134_d9a1b27d83_o.jpg

I would ask if those are available for purchase, but if you have to ask you probably can't afford it.

However trying to create my own would be interesting.

R1600Turbo
I would ask if those are available for purchase, but if you have to ask you probably can't afford it.

I've heard that this is true for so many things.. If you need to ask, it's too expensive..

Back