The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
The Endeavour cockpit photo is awesome, especially when you consider the fact that that thing is older than many cars on the road today (at least in Atlanta).

Another awesome shot: "24 hours worth of day and night snaps merged into one panoramic frame."

SLRMX.jpg

The Endeavour cockpit photo is awesome, especially when you consider the fact that that thing is older than many cars on the road today (at least in Atlanta).

Another awesome shot: "24 hours worth of day and night snaps merged into one panoramic frame."

SLRMX.jpg
No matter how disconnected from the actual programs, I am proud to work for the company that made both the engines on the Discovery, and the engines on that 747 it's riding on. :)

Also that picture is amazing. I've always wanted to try that sort of picture.

No matter how disconnected from the actual programs, I am proud to work for the company that made both the engines on the Discovery, and the engines on that 747 it's riding on. :)

Rolls Royce?

Edit: Oh wait, Rolls Royce didn't make the engines for the 747. Besides, I would assume the 747 used to carry the space shuttle would probably use more powerful engines.

Last edited:
General Electrics? Pratt & Whitney did the engines.

By the way, this is the shuttle mounting point on the 747 Shuttle Carrier.
Shuttle_mounting_point.JPG

Rolls Royce?

Edit: Oh wait, Rolls Royce didn't make the engines for the 747. Besides, I would assume the 747 used to carry the space shuttle would probably use more powerful engines.

They did but only 747-400 had RR RB211 engine options, the old 747-100 has P&W JT9D's (as mentioned).

Rolls Royce?

Pratt and Whitney. It's based here in Connecticut, although the actual 747 engine program I have nothing to do with. As for the shuttle engines, that's handled by Pratt and Whitney Rocketdyne in California.

Check this link out. I could post all day about NASA pictures....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/

Meteor Over Crater Lake
lyridcrater_goldpaint_1200.jpg

After breaking my back on a motorbike covering the 2010 Cape Epic, I have a bit of leverage with the organisers. So much so that they willingly provide a helicopter for all eight days of racing, for me to play the photographic version of Apocalypse Now. Minutes prior to this I had been shooting above the singletrack in the trees, struggling to get a definitive shot of singletrack & riders due to the dense foliage. Then I remembered we were coming up on some open trails - knowledge I had from riding at Oak Valley a while back. So we waited for about two minutes in the air above the track for Christoph Sauser and Burry Stander to come into shot. The shot with just the two of them on the singletrack was good - but when the TV helicopter came into the bottom of the frame I knew it was just going to get better. Hanging out of the helicopter - there are no doors for better shooting – and looking through the viewfinder trying to direct the pilot - up, down, backwards forwards, left right, nose back, spin round etc. - gets a bit tricky compared to just shuffling your GoreTex boots in the mud of a World Cup ... but I think you’ll agree the end result is worth it. Photo by Gary Perkin.
2rhmy3l.png

Back