The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
What makes them space photos?

This... ;)

hstorbitx.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope

I think it's just bad English to blame there, lsa... the word "them" in "what makes them space photos", as in what contraption is used to make the space photos... a telescope, of course.

Alaskan cabbage:

44-lb-alaska-cabbage-flowers-and-plants-38020.jpg

85874255WKAsBl_ph.jpg

9116e51a-f149-4bfb-8bf1-e15367f74014

611-178-big-cabbage-standalone-prod_affiliate-23.jpg

They're so huge because the sun never sets in the summer.

Something still just seems off to me. Maybe TM or Danoff can shed some light on the subject…visible light that is. Are there really stars that give off red visible light to the naked eye. If not then why does NASA enhance a photo in this way?

That'll be Redshifting and Blueshifting. It's an increasing or decreasing of the wavelength of the light coming from a star indicating whether it's moving away from or toward the observer.

Those photos will be enhanced as with the naked eye it's very difficult to detect any difference - we see stars as just very small, very different lights and they're that small to us that any difference in colour isn't visible.

As for the other photographs, those of nebulas etc - as far as I can remember, the images Hubble sends back are actually taken in black and white, but infrared, radio wave and many other sorts of images are taken which gives an indication of the different elements, gases and dust that make up the nebula, based on their visible wavelength.

It's also why the Eskimo nebula looks different when you see it through a telescope:
n2392kempton.jpg

...to the image that Hubble took:
169664main_image_feature_762_ys_4.jpg

Here's a good explanation, actually, straight from the Hubble website: http://www.hubblesite.org/gallery/behind_the_pictures/meaning_of_color/eagle.php

I think it's just bad English to blame there, lsa... the word "them" in "what makes them space photos", as in what contraption is used to make the space photos... a telescope, of course.

right, instead of those. That's what I thought he meant, but still...

Those photos will be enhanced as with the naked eye it's very difficult to detect any difference - we see stars as just very small, very different lights and they're that small to us that any difference in colour isn't visible.

I wish they would release before and after shots.

Something still just seems off to me. Maybe TM or Danoff can shed some light on the subject…visible light that is. Are there really stars that give off red visible light to the naked eye. If not then why does NASA enhance a photo in this way?

Oh aye. Different types of stars give off different colours. The hotter they are the brighter the colour they are, colder ones tend to be red and have a high concentration of Carbon iirc. These will be towards the end of their life.

Red Dwarf's

http://jumk.de/astronomie/astronomy.shtml

Also naked eye is subjective, we can only see these planets because of telescopes. But yes, if you were on a spaceship in the vicinity, they'd look like the colours on the hubble pictures.

I've always been a sucker for Supernova. Stunning in every way possible.

pink_floyd_001.jpg

To some, there may be nothing amazing or cool about this photo. But to me it awakes all sorts of feelings. Having listened to Pink Floyd since an age of 10 (around 10 years now) the music they made definitly made me who I am today, especially since it was the first bits of music I had ever listened to while knowing it. Viewing this image while listening to the last sequence of "Shine on...", "Time", or "The Great gig in the Sky" awakes a very special feeling in me, and I treasure it. There is no day the Pink Floyd songs have been old news to me, even upon this day I constantly discover new sounds in the songs that I didn't identify before. (For instance the beautiful keyboard in the opening of "Dogs" which can go by too quickly but actually creates the basic song for the whole song). Having albums taken over from my father who bought them in the year they were released, these albums are still treated with special care. (Which also proves the durability of a CD as some are over 30 years old now)

I guess this image is somekind of tribute of how beautiful music really is, and what it can do a person.

0,,6944158,00.jpg

Picture from The Advertiser - Adelaides daily newspaper today
AS the winds whipped up the West Coast waves, Ceduna surfer Andrew Brooks shared the break with some real experts.
Mr Brooks, a photographer, was surfing at a break off remote Cape Adieu, about 150km west of Ceduna, on Tuesday when a pod of 40 to 50 dolphins joined him.
"The pod came from the west and then they came right into the break where I was surfing and probably caught about four or five waves," Mr Brooks said. "They'd catch a wave, surf it to the end and then come back out. It's unreal . . . I think they're just as curious of the surfer as the surfer is of them."
The Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society's Dr Mike Bossley said he thought the dolphins were offshore bottlenose dolphins - and it's rare to see the offshore group surfing waves so close to shore.
"It's probably a bit unusual," Dr Bossley said. "It does reinforce the notion that you've got a creature with a brain as large as ours enjoying the same activities that we enjoy."
Mr Brooks set his non-surfing cousin, Roger, up with his camera to snap these shots from the beach.

Normally I wouldn't be caught dead reading this pathetic excuse for a newspaper, but there's only so bored you can get at work before the bright colours suck you in. Inside I found these pictures of bats taken by an amateur wildlife photographer in his garden:

SNN1733AA_280_890178a.jpg
SNN1733CC_280_890191a.jpg

I don't know where there may be higher res versions than that, if at all, but it looked good on a full page.

Linky

That has maximum badass, however we've got another thread for that act.

Not saying this isn't a Photoshop, but not saying it is either.

tumblr_kq0w746sdR1qz7lxdo1_1280.jpg

That's The Wedge here in SoCal. Trust me, it's 100% real. I used to surf there a lot when I lived near the beach. Corona Del Mar is on the opposite side of that jetty where I spent most of my younger days.

Roo
Normally I wouldn't be caught dead reading this pathetic excuse for a newspaper, but there's only so bored you can get at work before the bright colours suck you in. Inside I found these pictures of bats taken by an amateur wildlife photographer in his garden:

I saw that too, the set up was immense! I still think he overdid it with the flash units a bit for some of the images though.

Hydra A galaxy cluster composite from the Chandra X-Ray Observatory. The pink is believed to be iron gas.
hydra.jpg

Article
According to the press release (below) there is evidence of powerful outbursts from a supermassive black hole. To me, this is a pretty classic picture.

One of the most interesting thing about the findings indicate the gas along the radio jets (shown in pink and contributed by the Very Large Array) are “enhanced in iron and other metals”. Other colors in the image: blue, contributed by Chandra show 10-million degree gas,and yellow, contributed by the Canada-France-Hawaii telescope in Hawaii, and finally the galaxies in the cluster are the contribution of the Digitized Sky Survey.

The Chandra site also has a short video that is pretty good check it out if you can.

I marvel at the thought of iron in a gas form occurring anywhere. I suppose in the right circumstances an exoplanet (such as some of the ones Marian talked about a few posts ago) could actually have iron “rain”. Of course I don’t know if that is possible or not, the universe is filled with strange-to-us occurrences.
There's more, but this explains the image.

Larger images available

EDIT: UnoMOTO, you may enjoy checking out the Chandra site as their images have viewing options for composite, x-ray, optical, and radio images.

This composite is made by combining these images:

X-Ray:
hydra_w2.jpg

Optical:
hydra_w4.jpg

Radio:
hydra_w5.jpg

Last edited:
Hydra A galaxy cluster composite from the Chandra X-Ray Observatory.

Chandra site

👍 Amazing image(s)... makes you think about how easy it would be to detect a light signal or a radio broadcast coming from some alien civilisation, based on one tiny planet coming from within something like that... It also makes you wonder what our own supercluster looks like from that distance... probably not a great deal different.

That's exactly what I was looking for. 👍
Each photo will differ as these are not taken with the intent of you and I being able to post them on the Internt, but for research. So coloring of optical images using other data (like Hubble stuff) or composites like these are done to show us more information about these objects than what is available in the visible spectrum.

In this case it went from a visual image of a galactic cluster to ZOMG, vaporized metal!!!

Touring Mars
Amazing image(s)... makes you think about how easy it would be to detect a light signal or a radio broadcast coming from some alien civilisation, based on one tiny planet coming from within something like that... It also makes you wonder what our own supercluster looks like from that distance... probably not a great deal different.
I am thinking about trying to learn how to do custom PS3 themes so that the wallpaper will switch between the individual images and then have one of the composite. Or at least just make a wallpaper with the composite with smaller versions of the individual shots along the side or bottom.

Back