The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
I'm imagining his crew-mates waving goodbye from behind the camera after successfully ditching the annoying effing space-clown who kept saying 'pull my finger' :)

WTF? Why is he so far out from the shuttle/station?
If it is the same picture I saw in Tom's Astronomy blog (and it appears to be) it is a picture of one of the very first untethered space walks, taken in 1984. It is former astronaut Bruce McCandless II, and he is roughly 100 meters from the Challenger.

Photoshop?
Nope. Astronauts can use little jetpack like devices to maneuver in space.

I'm assuming the stairs to go down to this awesome beach are behind the camera, but I could also think they aren't and if so, this beach would be even more awesome.

and no, I have no idea where this is

It's Navagio Bay, Zakynthos, Greece. You can only get to the beach by boat trip. The boat was marooned there on purpose for effect.

Found these while researching my next photography assignment. Source and More. All NASA images of earth.

optimist_hires.jpg

guinea_hires.jpg

garden_hires.jpg

mayn_hires.jpg

bolivia_hires.jpg

bahamas_hires.jpg

EDIT: Woah Sorry about the large size. I copied the links to the thumbnails but it obviously didn't work.

I don't think I want to know why you know this

Because MrsCracker lived in Greece for 4 years and knows the islands quite well. Zakynthos is a popular holiday spot for Brits and other Europeans, this bay is it's most recognizable tourist spot. Try typing Zakynthos into Google images and see how many pages you have to scroll through before you find a picture not of that bay (or a map of the island). ;)

Because MrsCracker lived in Greece for 4 years and knows the islands quite well. Zakynthos is a popular holiday spot for Brits and other Europeans, this bay is it's most recognizable tourist spot. Try typing Zakynthos into Google images and see how many pages you have to scroll through before you find a picture not of that bay (or a map of the island). ;)

I'm liking Mrs Cracker more and more. My family on my mum's side originally came from a Greek island called Pyrgos... my great grandparent's names were something like Anastasios Dimantis and Panagiota Spetseris... too bad I didn't get a name like that.

I didn't know you were as traveled... I thought your longest trip was to Newark :P

So the photo is taken from the Japanese Coast Guard's ship? I can't imagine that either of the two chinese trawler survivors managed to keep hold of and keep dry a camera with seas like that?

I think the picture is real, but it isn't of that incident...
Provided this guy is correct, the picture isn't real. The event obviously was, but other than that the pieces don't match up. You have a freighter headed towards you and you stop to take a picture of it? Then you happen to be one of the 2 that survived. And your camera wasn't lost/destroyed? Unlikely.

Yeh, I saw that site too :lol: I think he might be wrong through, possibly because he is looking at a compressed version of the image and not the full-size version, which looks alot cleaner. That site also says that the image is from 2007, and is a tug approaching the tanker. The ship used to be called "Golden Stream", but has since been renamed and repainted, although it has exactly the same features. You can even see some of the original blue paint on the front of the hull in the 2007 pic of the "Shinyo Sawako".

It's been a slow afternoon here :sly:

Excuse the dodgy image! I got it from a blog that caries a lot of photo manipulation work...

In return, enjoy some more amazing or cool images!

tumblr_kq40qoqxZV1qz6ygbo1_500.jpg

3900888396bd4c29612b.jpg

27283-fullsize.jpg

These are from a 1911 expedition:

frankhurley.jpg

herbertponting.jpg

moon_rising.jpg

pbx6dfahxt_twOLckRVQomlfjhvPTkHTBu4.jpg

tumblr_kpgjmr12JY1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_kpl2fisRL41qz9d6lo1_500.jpg

tumblr_kpxfp8A8dN1qznd83o1_1280.jpg

Some interesting images that show unfamiliar perspectives of familiar personalities:

tumblr_kq2tqi5PGR1qzze33o1_500.jpg

tumblr_kq80fhBB5n1qz7lxdo1_500.jpg

This last section would be so much cooler if the image I had of Einstein playing guitar wasn't a 'shop.

Indeed Quiet Noises has a great gallery ;) I saved these two

Just things I've collected over the last year or two. Most of the interesting photography I will share in this thread, but a lot of general design work has no real place on GTP. I've recently created a photoblog to share that world too. I'll be updating it regularly for a long time as I've got a crap-ton of things saved. I'd recommend it:

http://mintyy.tumblr.com/

Back