The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
I think those Ekranoplans are pretty awesome. I'm sure they're horribly impractical but still a pretty good idea for getting stuff across water quickly.

McDonalds owns the Pacific AND Atlantic Oceans.

And Canada and Mexico... It's pretty cool to see what regions prefer what non-McDonald's restaurant though...

I've never heard of half of those...

PS:

007t4kb1

Many more photos:

http://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html

Last edited:
I just think ekranoplans are awesome. They can only fly about 1-2m in the air (usually skimming the water surface) and they travel at around 250mph.

And they look like something out of (proper) Thunderbirds.

Not really a photo, but a pretty interesting image nonetheless, I think it'd make for a good painting/print design.

alone.jpg
Wow, it took me a good ten minutes to wrap my head around this map, and i'm still trying to grasp it. But I could have sworn Jack in the Box was just a Southern thing. I didn't even realize they had them in California. Apparently In-N-Out isn't the dominant chain in SoCal? And I disagree with Wendy's being more popular in southwestern Ohio. I live here. As a matter of fact I have a hard time believing any of those chains are more popular than McDonald's anywhere except where there simply isn't a McDonald's, and I'll bet there's a whole lot of them everywhere. I don't like the map, I think it's a bad way to illustrate popularity and just plain wrong in most cases.

I was sceptical at first, but I don't think it is. It was on the wiki page for the plane and I think it would be removed if it was known to be a shop.

Wow, it took me a good ten minutes to wrap my head around this map, and i'm still trying to grasp it. But I could have sworn Jack in the Box was just a Southern thing. I didn't even realize they had them in California. Apparently In-N-Out isn't the dominant chain in SoCal? And I disagree with Wendy's being more popular in southwestern Ohio. I live here. As a matter of fact I have a hard time believing any of those chains are more popular than McDonald's anywhere except where there simply isn't a McDonald's, and I'll bet there's a whole lot of them everywhere. I don't like the map, I think it's a bad way to illustrate popularity and just plain wrong in most cases.

Well Sonic is headquartered in Oklahoma City, so that somewhat explains the Midwest. A common joke is that a town is not big league if it does not have a Sonic, as a Sonic is located in just about every small town you drive through in Oklahoma. Braum's is another chain headquarted in Oklahoma City and I would go to Braum's before any of the others on the list; though, Braum's is quite a bit more regional being mostly in Oklahoma and Texas and parts of Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas.

According to the Jack in the Box website, there only Jack in the Boxes in Oklahoma are in Ardmore, Ada, and Durant. There is also about to be a Jack in the Box in Norman.

I have not eaten at a Jack in the Box or an In-N-Out.

Damn there is some awesome stuff in the blog, thanks for the link. Irregular lighting shots are always awesome, I love the noir look a lot of them have.

It's levels have been edited in Photoshop, along with every other photo in this thread. Any published photo whatsoever has been touched up in Photoshop, it's not a big secret. .
Ah ok. I just thought the plane looked "stuck on" to that picture of that American city which I can't remember the name of...
But anyway, I guess its real. It is plausible for sure.
:)

That B2 image is immense. :drool:

I have a thing for stealth planes. :dopey:

OK, look at the cockpit of the B2. Directly above it is an old cathedral; look at the spire. Now look at the corner of the green glass building just above and to the left of the gold ball on top of the cathedral spire.

That used to be my office. :)

AuroraTrails_takasaka900.jpg

APOD
Yukon Aurora with Star Trails
Image Credit & Copyright: Yuichi Takasaka / TWAN / www.blue-moon.ca

Explanation: Fixed to a tripod, a camera can record graceful trails traced by stars as planet Earth rotates on its axis. But at high latitudes during March and April, it can also capture an aurora shimmering in the night. In fact, the weeks surrounding the equinox, in both spring and fall, offer a favorable season for aurora hunters. The possibilities are demonstrated in this beautiful moonlit vista from northwestern Canadian territory the Yukon. It was taken during the early morning of March 1, off the Klondike Highway about 60 kilometers south of Dawson City. To compose the picture, many short exposures were digitally combined to follow the concentric star trail arcs while including the greenish auroral curtains also known as the northern lights.

A day and night photo of the World Trade Center rebuilding effort. You can make out the foot print of the old buildings and the beginnings of how the memorials will fit into the site.

4423228507_6a41694b66_b.jpg

44239949880c426de406b.jpg

And one for Joey

Aurora_Borealis.jpg

Horsetail-Firefall.jpg

"This photo was made by Rob Kroenert on February 18th 2010 in the Yosemite National Park. Every year during the month of February, the Horsetall Falls turn golden around sunset. Amazing."

Ji Yong-Ho's - Tire Art

Art and cars is always a tricky subject. We saw what happened when BMW selected art world mega star Jeff Koons to design their next art car. Long story short, confusion, blinking eyes and a whole lot of chin scratching. However, we think in the case of South Korean artist Ji Yong-Ho, there's just going to be nodding heads and wide smiles. Why? Just look at how amazing his work is.

For those of you that are forced by your significant others to watch Project Runway ("Hi, honey!") no doubt remember last week when style guru Tim Gunn sent them all to the hardware store and contestant Jay won over the judges with his pants made out of contrasting garbage bags. Don't ask how, but we see a similarity (or are just hot to confess that we watch Project Runway in the most manly way possible). Either way, the New York-based Yong-Ho is using old tires to craft his creations. We enthusiastically approve.

(Auto Blog)

yh10.jpg

yh40.jpg

yh20.jpg

yh30.jpg

yh00.jpg

You should check the art of Brian Jungen, who makes Native Canadian art with consumerist objects, like shoes & bags. Here's a piece of his with lawn chairs:

4292423777_ac4ec4a704_b.jpg

Back