The Autism Thread

I'm don't even have autism or aspergers and I've still got toys and things from when I was a kid. Nothing to be ashamed of at all!

You may not know you have it until you are evaluated by a professional.

That's a very good point. After reading through quite a few of the posts in tempted to see someone to check. I share quite a lot of similarities to what's been said here.

You don't know how many files I have recording race results... My favourite track to mess about with in my head is was always the one I imagined which would take an LMP1 more than ten minutes to complete a lap of. It's like an insane combination of La Sarthe and the Monte Carlo Rally...

Oh the P1 v P2 battles I am imagining right now imagined, P1 cars powering away on the straights, P2 cars reeling them in on the twisty bits...

There's nothing to be ashamed of in holding onto personal items that are meaningful to you. 👍 I'm 26 and I have a stuffed bear that was given to me when I was a newborn, from my dad's mom, who passed away before I grew up. I also still have all of my Hot Wheels and Legos in plastic bins somewhere.

Yeah true enough. Depending on how I am in other aspects of my life, I can get overly attached to anything. Clothing, drinking glasses... Anything. I'm not a hoarder, I don't get anything unnecessary, but I do struggle to let almost anything go. This gets worse if I am down during that period of time. If I am happy I can usually part with things that don't hold much significance.

I have a thought... I always get told off for doing things wrong at school and I don't even realise what I'm doing is wrong. They always claim I know what I'm doing but I don't. In some cases that haven't even said WHY I am in trouble, they just say "You know what you did". I've tried to tell them that I don't know why I'm in trouble and I need to know what I'm doing wrong. Is not knowing your doing supposedly bad things something to do with Aspergers?

@ Yellowbird23, as a kid I was very outgoing. I'd walk up to random strangers and ask them how their day was going, or show them a toy car, or something, just to see them smile. I've stopped, now, because a 6'4" tall guy with a beard and a deep, bellowing voice is more intimidating than cuddly. :lol:

But, there's as much different between Autistic people as there are similarities. We're all driven by the same ideas (fun, mainly) but a lot of us have strikingly different viewpoints. That's to be expected. That's human nature.

Autistic people, pretty much every one of us, really just want to do what we do for enjoyment. Other people might be motivated by different things, but, I know my motivation to wake up is the "let's go play with a car somehow!"

Building, fixing, racing, driving, gaming... Anything to do with cars is what gets me out of bed. Or redheads, but we won't go into that.

Maybe. Or, if I went to theirs, I'd get out of my own bed and into theirs. But this is off-topic. :lol:

Does anyone find themselves drawn towards obscure pronunciations? Do you also pronounce things differently?

I continually find myself saying things with a jabber (an actualy word, apparently??) Mix of all sorts of accents. I speak English and French as native languages, and often can't remember the English word/pronunciation. Then, add in fluent German and Spanish... :lol: Suddenly, the pronunciation is very strange.

You may not know you have it until you are evaluated by a professional.

Or he may just want to hold onto things with sentimental value, which is normal for most people.

@ Yellowbird23, as a kid I was very outgoing. I'd walk up to random strangers and ask them how their day was going, or show them a toy car, or something, just to see them smile. I've stopped, now, because a 6'4" tall guy with a beard and a deep, bellowing voice is more intimidating than cuddly. :lol:

I'm 6'4 and have a deep voice, and strangers regularly give me hugs when I'm at events and festivals. It like has to do with how you are approaching them.

But, there's as much different between Autistic people as there are similarities. We're all driven by the same ideas (fun, mainly) but a lot of us have strikingly different viewpoints. That's to be expected. That's human nature.

So what you're saying is... Autistic people are human and are driven by the tendency to enjoy life?

Shocking.

Autistic People, pretty much every one of us, really just want to do what we do for enjoyment.

Fixed that for you. Please stop using Autism as some justification to feel special - you are ultimately still a person that is capable of functioning in society with little to no trouble.

As for the language thing, considering I still doubt your fluency in four languages, and your tendency to seek attention, I imagine your just bumbling on language and trying to seem clever about it.

As for the language thing...

Especially as true fluency is only really reached by living in the country that speaks that particular language for an extended period of time. You can learn a language from books, a tutor, or the internet, but it will very different from the language that the natives speak. A good example of this in your case, Mel, is French and French Canadian - If you are fluent in one, you are not automatically fluent in the other.

It's a little odd reading through this thread and seeing people posting that they might be autistic just from having some of the symptoms, almost as if they want to be autistic.

Azure... Most people are special. Autism affects you and gives you special traits. It affects how your brain works, how you process things, and in my case my very perception of the world around me. I know I have something unique about me, and I aim to use that around me.

And Marina, don't get me started on languages and other countries, that has a very deep meaning to me :lol: ;)

And Marina, don't get me started on languages and other countries, that has a very deep meaning to me :lol: ;)

I reckon 50% of the US population wouldn't understand us, and I (hopefully we) don't understand them either. :scared:

It's a little odd reading through this thread and seeing people posting that they might be autistic just from having some of the symptoms, almost as if they want to be autistic.

You'll also notice the majority of posters are late teens and 20 somethings that kind of like attention. Or at least posting a lot.

The thread kind of feels like a place where people can continually claim to be special snowflakes because a doctor said they are.

Azure... Most people are special. Autism affects you and gives you special traits. It affects how your brain works, how you process things, and in my case my very perception of the world around me. I know I have something unique about me, and I aim to use that around me.\

Yes, everyone has something unique about them. It doesn't take being diagnosed with a mental disorder to make you unique. And if you've bothered reading any of my posts anywhere on this forum, the parallels in my early life up to my mid 20's are basically spot on with almost everything I've seen in this thread; the difference is I'm no longer desperate to have a clique to fit into.

Not sure how many times you are going to say something that is either redundant or irrelevant to the point I was making, but I expect it to happen a few more times at this rate...

I reckon 50% of the US population wouldn't understand us, and I (hopefully we) don't understand them either. :scared:

Most of the population understands, to some extent, what Autism is because you can't go a day without it being mentioned now.

And why wouldn't you want to understand how the rest of society works? It is like you want to sit on the other side of a fence and make a point of being different simply for the sake of being different.

I think I got it when I was born.

Well, considering it isn't contagious, being born with it would make sense...

Most of the population understands, to some extent, what Autism is because you can't go a day without it being mentioned now.

And why wouldn't you want to understand how the rest of society works? It is like you want to sit on the other side of a fence and make a point of being different simply for the sake of being different.

Sorry for not making myself clear, I was referring to the differences between American English and British English. Pronunciation, spelling and slang.
I thought that's what the poster above, Furinkazen, was saying. My mistake. :dunce:

Azuremen, no one's telling you to think one way or another about the posters here. Just take it easy.

We get it, GTP's Most Opinionated Member of 2011 has a nickname to live up to. Go ahead. But stop talking to us like we're stupid, we're not.

Saying that we're almost all posting too much and being attention-seekers is unfair.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but... The only person here with a valid argument/topic who's not Autistic is MarinaDiamantis. Cody, if you have a point to make, go ahead. Otherwise, let us have this thread. It's one of the most helpful non-GT threads on here.

Azuremen, no one's telling you to think one way or another about the posters here. Just take it easy.

We get it, GTP's Most Opinionated Member of 2011 has a nickname to live up to. Go ahead. But stop talking to us like we're stupid, we're not.

Saying that we're almost all posting too much and being attention-seekers is unfair.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but... The only person here with a valid argument/topic who's not Autistic is MarinaDiamantis. Cody, if you have a point to make, go ahead. Otherwise, let us have this thread. It's one of the most helpful non-GT threads on here.

Well said.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but... The only person here with a valid argument/topic who's not Autistic is MarinaDiamantis.

Wrong. There y'go.

Just because you personally don't agree with an argument does not automatically render it 'invalid'. Who on earth do you think you are to decide whether a discussion is valid or not.

Cody, if you have a point to make, go ahead.

I believe he has, which leads me to think you haven't bothered reading what he's saying.

You haven't actually addresses any of the points, you've just gone straight it with blah blah 'Most Opinionated Member' as if that somehow diminishes right to having an opinion because you deem it to be so.

No, Danny, you didn't post a single opinion of Cody's because you can't find one. He doesn't seem to be saying anything except picking small things out with no real reason.

It is NOT a mental disorder. In any shape or form. I fail to see that, a disorder suggests a condition that is wrong. It is not anything like that.

I don't think people understand;

there's a bit of a shame in the term disorder. While I see my syndrome as a gift, I don't think it's fair to call it a "disorder." My friend called it a "developmental difference." While it's not entirely scientific, it's the most accurate term I've ever heard. We develop differently - not necessarily more or less - than everyone else. Is that a disorder?

No.

images

That's disorder.

Punching a police officer is disorderly. Stealing a woman's purse is disorderly. Autistic people are not exactly likely to do any of those things.

No, Danny, you didn't post a single opinion of Cody's because you can't find one.

Nice of you to presume such, but no. I didn't repost them because I had hoped you would go back and actually read them. But since you're apparently not going to, here are some key points picked out especially for you.

I'm 6'4 and have a deep voice, and strangers regularly give me hugs when I'm at events and festivals. It like has to do with how you are approaching them.

Please stop using Autism as some justification to feel special - you are ultimately still a person that is capable of functioning in society with little to no trouble.

As for the language thing, considering I still doubt your fluency in four languages, and your tendency to seek attention, I imagine your just bumbling on language and trying to seem clever about it.

everyone has something unique about them. It doesn't take being diagnosed with a mental disorder to make you unique. And if you've bothered reading any of my posts anywhere on this forum, the parallels in my early life up to my mid 20's are basically spot on with almost everything I've seen in this thread; the difference is I'm no longer desperate to have a clique to fit into.

This is a valid point because... we weren't diagnosed by medical professionals who spent years studying?

To those who consider themselves Autistic without a diagnosis... *crickets* Wait a minute, that's not right. Most people have either come forth and admitted that they were correctly diagnosed, or have simply said that they've done something that an Autistic person has done. How is it relevant, whether some poor misguided person wants to fake a diagnosis of a real issue, to our discussions?

How is it relevant, whether some poor misguided person wants to fake a diagnosis of a real issue, to our discussions?

Is this not 'The Autism Thread'?

I'm hoping, with this thread, to discuss everything about the Spectrum.

Please post anything and everything you've experienced with the Syndromes on the spectrum, what you do, or just discuss it.

Or, you could make a self-diagnosis thread in Opinions forums. 💡 You'd find people more suited for your arguments there, anyways. I don't want to argue on my thread. It's not in the Opinions forum.

On-topic:

Local news story.

And, this one will come with a very stiff warning: this one will be highly offensive to all of you. :ill: :yuck: It's sickening what this man/woman wrote.

Please, if you're easily offended, don't open the link. It really is quite a hateful story. No bad language, but quite a hard-hitting note from someone who probably has something worse than Autism going on in their head.

Edit: I didn't read the Facebook comments, I never do. If there's language in there, I'm not going to know about it.

Question: Are you treated like everyone else even though you have a [minor] case of autism (Not counting the major ones as I understand).

Me: Yes and I'm glad that I am :).

Latest Posts

Back