The Autism Thread

This was a helpful, interesting thread until the trolling began. An attempt to get back on topic:

For those diagnosed with an ASD or Asperges, what helpful things did teachers or parents do for you to help you succeed academically and socially/ what do you wish they would have done?

Nothing, probably because my case is minor.

I don't really want the attention anyway, prefer doing stuff by myself.

This was a helpful, interesting thread until the trolling began. An attempt to get back on topic:

For those diagnosed with an ASD or Asperges, what helpful things did teachers or parents do for you to help you succeed academically and socially/ what do you wish they would have done?

Socially: My grandmother (Also my parental guardian, I live with her) got me to go to quite a few sports clubs until we found some I enjoyed. Swimming and Football are two I still enjoy and I used to do a lot of Athletics... Of course, they don't have to be sports clubs but since I never stopped moving when I was younger, it was appropriate for me! :) Definitely make sure it's something they enjoy. Doing something I liked doing around people my own age definitely helped me make friends.

Academically: Hmm... Well I am also Dyslexic, and my grandmother taught me to read with a different method to those taught at school, because she knew I would be able to grasp her method easier and quicker... Sure enough, my reading age was pretty much at an adult level by the time I was seven.
One thing I wish she did and indeed wish she would do to this day is be a little tougher with some things.
I mean, even now I struggle with homework... Focusing on it and getting it done in time are things I find hard to this day, maybe because she was a little to lenient with me in those situations when I was younger. It would have been good to have a routine, a set time to do homework every night or whenever it's assigned. I often notice in the school boarding house that the house staff never look very ready for action and that creates hesitation among some when asking for help. So always be around and make yourself available for help if needed.
Gradually introducing responsibilities might help avoid some of the chronic laziness among other Asperger's students in my school too!

That's about all I can think of for now, I hope that helps in some way :)

NOTICE: What I said about my grandmother being lenient is not me blaming her for it. I know it's my fault, and I am working to change things.

Last edited:
I was taught at home so I got 1 to 1 attentions which greatly helped me as Aspergers primarily affected my concentration, and sometimes memory. I also joined some social groups and youth clubs so I could learn to interact with others in a monitored environment with staff who could help me.

I was taught at home so I got 1 to 1 attentions which greatly helped me as Aspergers primarily affected my concentration, and sometimes memory. I also joined some social groups and youth clubs so I could learn to interact with others in a monitored environment with staff who could help me.

Same here. I have a very selective memory. I can remember anything about Motor Racing or another of my hobbies, but with other stuff I forget easily. I mean, I can tell you it was Jochen Rindt who won the 1970 Formula One World Championship posthumously, but I can't tell you what I had for Breakfast. :ouch:

EDIT: I had beans on toast, just struck me. :dopey:

Last edited:
I have always loved Japanese monster films and can name a whole series of 28 Godzilla films, with date and title, in order with ease yet can struggle to remember where I put my phone last night.

I have always loved Japanese monster films and can name a whole series of 28 Godzilla films, with date and title, in order with ease yet can struggle to remember where I put my phone last night.

Same with what to bring to school :lol: yet I can remember all the Pokemon names,

I can vividly remember all the missions, cars and the like from GTA games, but unfortunately my memory doesn't quite work the same way when I'm supposed to study for an exam. :rolleyes:

I think this goes for just about everyone else. :lol:

I can name all of the cars in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. I cannot remember anything in school except addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication. :dunce:

@ Marina Diamandis, stop using logic. :lol: It's too obvious when someone points it out! :lol:

@gman1647, let's think of the two seperately.

Academically: I always found that some parts of my academics were hard without set procedures. Inform the teachers of your child's Autism, so that they understand. Buy your child a notebook for things like "Monday Sept. 17th, gym class first period" so that (s)he can keep track of the changes in procedures.

For example, in my Grade 6, we always said a prayer in French before lunch. One day, we said the prayer before second period, in French. I made no distinction, and promptly walked out of second period class for "lunch." It wasn't lunch, I just looked like an idiot walking beside the road waiting for my dad to finally come get me to take me home for lunch.

I still don't understand why we asked "Dieu" to bless our food more than an hour before lunch, though. :dopey:

Socially:

This one can be tricky. I'd say that nipping bad habits in the rear before they start is an important part. If you find something your child says "out of place," say so. "That was ... because that has ... meaning to someone who isn't Autistic."

The child isn't necessarily going to understand sarcasm, so either avoid it, make it abundantly clear, or make a point of noticing when you say something sarcastic. If you say "yes, and the sky is blue," the child may not understand that you're implying that the preceding comment was obvious.

Coh, surprised at how many people here have similar conditions... I also have Aspergers Syndrome, which I was diagnosed with back in 1999...

Due to this, I was actually bullied horrendously during my school years [about 1993 until 2008]and nobody ever did anything about it!-.-

Aspergers Syndrome effects different people on different ways - and the way it effected me was the ability to focus, and once I did focus - you couldn't pull me away from that thing to do the next thing. Also, it gave me a rather shallow state of mind (which has become less noticeable, I was recently told).

I heard that autism gives you more of a mathematically ability and can naturally draw well.

Well, I'm also not that great at Maths, and the best drawing I ever managed was a Stick Man! :lol:

I'm about as artistic as Jeremy Clarkson. I'm decent with math, but don't like it specifically. I did really well in foreign language courses, and geography; I found these courses fascinating.

But, as MarinaDiamantis says, that's not necessarily because of the Autism. I think my inability to focus on science (biology) might have been, though.

I was bullied a few times but have all gone passed (either the bully left or we made piece :)). I don't know why I don't get bullied often but I think it is because I am autistic or my attitude of not caring about not what all the bad people are doing (In my school, bullies pick on the people who dob them in, Weird place, isn't).

I usually don't care for maths either I just write what I need for the test then just sit there being bored (yet, my teacher thinks I do my work :lol:) and I'm in the second highest maths class in my year and get good math grades :lol:.

On-topic:

Local news story.

And, this one will come with a very stiff warning: this one will be highly offensive to all of you. :ill: :yuck: It's sickening what this man/woman wrote.

Please, if you're easily offended, don't open the link. It really is quite a hateful story. No bad language, but quite a hard-hitting note from someone who probably has something worse than Autism going on in their head.

Edit: I didn't read the Facebook comments, I never do. If there's language in there, I'm not going to know about it.

Yeah, and the sound of crying babies is definitely a normal sound everyone wants to hear in the neighborhood daily. :rolleyes:

Not much I have to add - I think it's either a joke, or a letter written by someone who fell to the floor multiple times as a baby.

Carb, just to let you know, I can't find the original for that post. Nudge, nudge, it may have been removed by a moderator. If that's the case, I won't argue with them, but instead I'll just ask you to un-quote it so that you don't get in trouble...

Or is the original from that post still there?

Edit: I herp derp'd. The post is still there, my mistake. I didn't think it was all the way back on page 8! :scared:

Yeah, and the sound of crying babies is definitely a normal sound everyone wants to hear in the neighborhood daily. :rolleyes:

Not much I have to add - I think it's either a joke, or a letter written by someone who fell to the floor multiple times as a baby.

Or by a 🤬 🤬 🤬 :censored:ing 🤬 "Mother" who cries for a :censored:ing punch in her 🤬 🤬 :censored:ing face...
*rage in face*
Sorry but I can't believe that such 🤬 people exist...

Let's dial the hate level back please, before things get out of hand.

It's acceptable and understandable that we're all a little upset, but what we say will only affect us... And the GTP AUP... And therefore, the sworn protectors of the AUP, the moderation staff.

So, to make their job a little easier, let's take the hate dial down from 11, to maybe a 6.

Edit: I mean, we all want to exude a positive attitude, so that there's less of a stigma about Autism.

Carb, just to let you know, I can't find the original for that post. Nudge, nudge, it may have been removed by a moderator. If that's the case, I won't argue with them, but instead I'll just ask you to un-quote it so that you don't get in trouble...

Or is the original from that post still there?

Edit: I herp derp'd. The post is still there, my mistake. I didn't think it was all the way back on page 8! :scared:

You only need to click the white speech bubble and it'll take you straight to the original post. :dopey:

Hello everyone and let me start off by congratulating you all. I've never been checked for Autism, so I have no idea as to whether I'm Autistic or not, but I think this is a fantastic idea for a thread.

The thing that annoys me most of all is injustice. The fact that this thread was made for people who find life as a whole more difficult is just stunning and fair, great job Andrew!

I know an Autistic guy in my school and while he's pretty cool, he gets picked on a lot. I've tried to help him out in the past but I have no idea what to do. He's not an animal, you know? He's a human being that understands me just as well as the next guy, my classmates can't seem to get that though. So, do you have any advice as to how I can help him? Maybe something that you would have found comforting at that age?

Keep this thread going!
Cheers, Nilo.

Well, without touching the Autistic young man, I'd recommend inviting him to walk with you if the others are picking on him. Or, if you're brave you can just say "look! What you're done is not nice. He's one of us, but he thinks differently. Be nice."

It's the choice of whether you want to isolate him from the bully, or whether you want to stop the bully in his tracks. Either way, just tell the guy what you're going to do.

"I asked you to come walk with me because I think you're being bullied and I think that I can help. Is that okay?" Expect a nod, perhaps, or a "yes."

Of course, this all depends on whether it's high-functioning Autism or not, but I think it is.

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks for the help :)

I think I'll confront the 🤬, it's what I do if someone picks on me (which is rare). It's a shame because he's a really nice guy, people just bully him because it spread that he has Autism. I don't even think you'd know if somebody hadn't told you...

Thanks again for the advice!

Just because he's Autistic, he's being bullied?

Woah, that's not even fair. It's not a choice. It's not a decision. It's not a disease.

... I just can't believe anyone would bully another person for that.

... I just can't believe anyone would bully another person for that.

My (special) school gives me an irony overload. People ALWAYS diss/bully each other for their various problems. You have Asperger's people calling children with Down Syndrome names, everyone seems to pick on people with speech impediments and the one child with a physical disability gets hell.
Everyday it's "Your handwriting is bad!" and they reply "Yeah well..." and it all kicks off.
I'd understand if they were six year olds but the youngest is 13... :scared:

I don't think anybody different should be picked on whether it's race, disability, wealth... But I just find it so stupid when people are making fun of special needs when they have different kinds of special needs.

Latest Posts

Back