The Autism Thread

@ RESHIRAM5, but not all people are treated equally, either. Autistic or not, there will be varying levels of respect. "Everyone else" isn't a term that is easy to understand.

Are we talking everyone else being Morgan Freeman, or Lindsay Lohan? Some are admired, and some are talked about in a negative tone during just about every celebrity show I've ever seen. :grumpy:

Well, I mean you don't get special attention because you are autistic or not?

I don't and I like it but some do and think otherwise :).

Well, there are different expectations.

If I do something wrong, I want people to calmly show me the problem. I don't want physical contact unless it's clearly acceptable/understood (handshake at a job interview, high-fives.)

But, other than that, I don't personally want much special attention. Sure, everyone wants recognition for a good thing, but that's something I want to have to work for, in order to realize and achieve.

Edit: that's just my take on that.

Azuremen, no one's telling you to think one way or another about the posters here. Just take it easy.

Funny, as it seems you've been telling others how to think about the posters here.

We get it, GTP's Most Opinionated Member of 2011 has a nickname to live up to. Go ahead. But stop talking to us like we're stupid, we're not.

I've only suggested that some here have failed to read what I wrote. That and string of assumptions being built about what I think.

Saying that we're almost all posting too much and being attention-seekers is unfair.

The attention seeking comment was directed at you, specifically, and not everyone else here. Which is why I included the small bit about your claimed fluency. I could also bring up the smoldering crater of a thread sitting the Infield from your departure here a bit ago.

So please don't assume I'm commenting on everyone here. You are not the representation of all Autism.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but... The only person here with a valid argument/topic who's not Autistic is MarinaDiamantis. Cody, if you have a point to make, go ahead. Otherwise, let us have this thread. It's one of the most helpful non-GT threads on here.

Apparently you've failed to read that, with professional opinion, I would have been diagnosed with Autism when I was younger. Hell, even when I was in my 20's.

That aside, the only argument I've been making here is that intelligence isn't a symptom and relying on it as an excuse isn't necessary to life a happy life.

Well said.

Not really.
It is NOT a mental disorder. In any shape or form. I fail to see that, a disorder suggests a condition that is wrong. It is not anything like that.

Considering it is defined as a disorder of neural development, I'm fairly certain Autism qualifies as a mental disorder. At the very least, a disorder.

Asperger's is a touch different since the symptoms are generally more subtle, it still qualifies as disorder. That and it is also known as Asperger's Disorder.

Or, you could make a self-diagnosis thread in Opinions forums. 💡 You'd find people more suited for your arguments there, anyways. I don't want to argue on my thread. It's not in the Opinions forum.

Last I checked, you weren't a mod, so please don't police threads. And this is really more the Asperger's thread I'd say, at this point.

Azuremen
Asperger's is a touch different since the symptoms are generally more subtle, it still qualifies as disorder. That and it is also known as Asperger's Disorder.

Wrong. Actually known as Aspergers Syndrome, not disorder.

There's a guitarist that I have gigged with in the past that I'm almost positive has Asperger's. I have heard nothing about him being professionally diagnosed but I have heard people (including his father's) suspicions.

It was difficult to have any sort of conversation with him. He didn't seem to understand any sort if humor you would throw his way. He rarely talked but when he did there was always an urgent or stressful tone in his voice.

For the people familiar with Autism, what would you say that sounds like? Any more questions to gain perspective will gladly be answered.

Last edited:
Right Azure, so all doctors, social workers, youth workers and everyone else I know who work with people are wrong as well? Right...

The common name I know of is Aspergers. I am fully aware of other medical terms for it, doesn't make me wrong.

@Jared. But what makes you think that? Anyone can make a claim like that.

Ah you edited since. He might he might not. All depends.

Autistic people, pretty much every one of us, really just want to do what we do for enjoyment. Other people might be motivated by different things, but, I know my motivation to wake up is the "let's go play with a car somehow!"

Are you trying to say that non-Autistic people are the opposite?

That's no different to anyone in the world that doesn't have Autism. Being motivated when you wake up to go and do something you enjoy doing sounds like an everyday thing for absolutely everyone.

All my friends do stuff for enjoyment and aren't autistic.

This is irrelevant, yes.

I'm not saying that only Autistic people wake up to do fun things. I'm saying that Autistic people will wake up to do fun things. Of course, in hindsight, that seems really obvious, because everyone would.

A lot of the things I say can be mere oversights, I admit. Let's not make a big deal out of it, in this case.

Right Azure, so all doctors, social workers, youth workers and everyone else I know who work with people are wrong as well? Right...

The common name I know of is Aspergers. I am fully aware of other medical terms for it, doesn't make me wrong.

@Jared. But what makes you think that? Anyone can make a claim like that.

Ah you edited since. He might he might not. All depends.

I say that because it would be understandable when comparing him to people with Asperger's that I have seen online, or discussions about it that I have heard.

Hey, I could be completely wrong but certain things he does seem to tell me otherwise.

Certainly, the symptoms seem correct, but it may be advisable to suggest testing. I don't know whether the testing costs money in the USA, but certainly having the official diagnosis can open some doors. No, not the door to excuses, but I mean to therapeutic group meetings, music therapy sessions, etc., that help to calm Autistic people down.

Pretty sure those people use these terms

The common term, best I've seen it, from social workers, doctors, and educators is Asperger's Syndrome, and they consider it a disorder.

Testing? We are not lab rats Andrew...

Oh how the real world will be harsh to you.

I highly recommend the personal discussion be taken via Private Messages...

I highly recommend the personal discussion be taken via Private Messages...

And they shall, if he wants.

I don't think the talk about it being a disorder, or that Furi has contradicted himself on the matter of what Aspeger's and Autism are considered, should be taken to PM though.

Furinkazen
Not entirely sure how this is related to this topic...

It isn't really, since I was referring to the thread (or any other) itself, which isn't an excuse for excessive off-topic discussion nor personal banter.

This has gone a little to far now hasn't it? I don't understand half of what's been going on here in honesty. I hope we can just leave it as it is now and move on. :)

This was a helpful, interesting thread until the trolling began. An attempt to get back on topic:

For those diagnosed with an ASD or Asperges, what helpful things did teachers or parents do for you to help you succeed academically and socially/ what do you wish they would have done?

Back