The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
Anyone else getting this Hearthfire DLC today? I was going to queue it from xbox.com but the site is down. Hopefully everything is working properly by the time I get home tonight.
After some research, it looks like this could have some day 1 bugs. People are having issues "triggering" the dlc.

Last edited:
I downloaded the DLC about 3 hours ago and nothing ever happened. Tried missions, became a thane in Dawnstar and in Morthal. Also faught a few dragons. Finally decided to go to the dashboard and put the game in again. Still nothing. So I fast traveled to Whiterun and instantly the courier arrived. So if its not working for you, go to the dashboard then put the game back in. Then go to Whiterun. Should work.

I absolutely love this Heathfire dlc.

Been hooked on it for the last couple days. Its overwhelming how much you can build for your house. At first glance it looks like you just build a foundation, walls, and roof. Ok not too bad. But thats only maybe 5% of the amount of content in this DLC and how much you can do with your house. I could type out a list of at least 50-100 items that you can build for your house or property and will need resources for. I am still working on my first house and just built a greenhouse, garden, smelter, and other items for. For once the garden actually produces whatever you plant. Usually in Skyrim your garden would not grow anything.

I finally built the expansion, the upstairs, and started a basement. once you build the basement you can build an entire blacksmith area. Just insane. The list goes on and on of the items you can build for your house. I am not sure if there is a full list anywhere but it has to be over 100+ items per house. It truly feels like Sims or Fable meets Skyrim in a good way. Its finally nice to have everything you need all at 1 house. Plus the adoption completes the family household allowing you to interact with the children you adopt. Plus buy toys and clothes for them. I just cant believe this dlc was only $5.00. Well well worth the purchase by a longshot.

My only concern is every time I get a steward to find animals and materials, my follower leaves instantly. So I just re-load the save. So at this point I dont have a steward for the first house I am building. Dont want to lose my follower.

Sounds good, wish they didn't balls around with DLC for different platforms however, it has put me off a lot. Plus by the time the DLC will reach PC it will be right in the middle of other game releases in the near future I bet.

I don't think I will get the first vampire DLC but this one sounds good, I'll probably get it but not for quite a while.

Jay
Sounds good, wish they didn't balls around with DLC for different platforms however, it has put me off a lot. Plus by the time the DLC will reach PC it will be right in the middle of other game releases in the near future I bet.

I don't think I will get the first vampire DLC but this one sounds good, I'll probably get it but not for quite a while.
Not sure if you are talking about the PS3 or PC. But its actually not Bethesda at all. The PS3 is having issues with the DLC that cant be resolved so they have decided to no longer release DLC for the PS3 until the issue is resolved. So if you have a PS3, you are SOL.

But the Healthfire dlc truly is well worth the purchase.

Last edited:
PC (as mentioned in the quote), it's not just the issues with the PS3 version that is annoying which doesn't actually effect me directly, but the Xbox exclusive BS and a lack of communication about when other versions (PC especially for me) will be available. Just put me off the whole thing, but this latest DLC does look like fun. Will check it out next year probably.

Sheesh this DLC could easily consume 24+ hours easily. I only had 9 into my first house and its still not even finished yet. Currently working on the 2nd house and trying to find all the resources for the trophy room. The fish hatchery that comes near the Morthal house is awesome. But be careful the fish you put in there. Some eat each other. Loving this dlc and I still have a long way to go. 👍

I haven't played Skyrim for 8 months so I decided to start a new game. I played a level 38 Nord warrior-like character, but now I went with a Breton mage.

It's awfully disappointing I will never see the DLC as a PS3 user, however. :(

May is not won't. They are working on it. If they can't get it working we won't get it. If they do we will get it.

I was just told by my local game store that both DLC for the PS3 may be cancelled so PS3 owners wont ever get the DLC's
Yup confirmed in post 1049.

I am STILL loving this Hearthfire dlc. Finally got my first house finished enough to get a family to move in. BUT you MUST have a dresser between the 2 kids beds or your family will not move in. Took me several hours of trial and error to get it to work.

I also found out about the Shrine base in the basement. That thing is going to take some serious time to fill up with shrines because you need specific amulets and necklaces. Even afte 230+ hours of hording, I dont have a single one of the amulets for the shrines. And I think there are at least 10.

My first house is only about 90% complete, my 2nd house is maybe 75% complete, and I havent even found or started my 3rd house. And I already have at least 15-20 hours into this Hearthfire dlc. This DLC easily could consume over 30+ hours of your life.

May is not won't. They are working on it. If they can't get it working we won't get it. If they do we will get it.

Have they said into detail what exactly is causing issues? I always thought that the XBOX 360 and PS3 were very similar platforms, if not performing almost on the same level.

No, but they did say that they were working with Sony over it.

The XBox360 is supposed to be much more like a PC from a development perspective and easier to develop for.

Yeah I'm sure the X360 is far easier to code for. It is Windows-based and most likely has all the same sorts of DirectX functions and stuff that Windows developers are familiar with.

Skyrim Dawnguard PS3 'Status Won't Change Soon' - Bethesda

Nowgamer
Skyrim Dawnguard's troublesome journey to PS3 is well-documented, but Bethesda's issues with the DLC won't be solved via any sort of eureka moment overnight according to marketing and PR boss Pete Hines.

"It's not a situation where the status will change "soon"," he offered on Twitter. "That's why we said we weren't certain. There's no quick/easy solution."

Hines added: "when the status changes, I'll definitely make sure folks know."

Bethesda previously admitted the issues may be "unsolvable".

I can't believe Skyrim is still this full of bugs on the PS3.

I'm on an early quest that sees me getting to a boat stranded on an iceberg in the sea to kill a bandit chief. There is no land to get to the boat, so I have to cross a body of water to get to the boat. Each time I enter deep water, the game just freezes. I can't remember this happening to me on the older patches, and it is incredibly annoying as I can't complete this quest now.

I'm considering rather getting this game for PC for more eye-candy and to have a copy on a platform that does seem to get attention from Bethesda with access to the DLC.

*EDIT* Nevermind, seems to be an old bug and has a solution. I'll give it a try tonight.

Has anyone got in touch with the Better Business Bureau or even the FTC to see if the feds can get involved in the investigation?

Sanji Himura
Has anyone got in touch with the Better Business Bureau or even the FTC to see if the feds can get involved in the investigation?

What? Why would they? You think they care about bugs in a video game or late dlc?

Sanji Himura
Into what investigation? Into the fact that Sony were a bunch of idiots because they poorly laid out the PS3's RAM?

People, some of you may already know this, but this isn't Beth's fault. It's Sony's.

Bethesda & Sony are both at fault. Bethesda Softworks developed games are glitch ridden across all platforms. Fun or not, it's comical how Bethesda continues to get a free pass with their games, but I suppose it is what it is.

I was unaware that you are limited to a certain number of save files. I just created a new save file to mes around with. Once I went to save I found that my two primary save files had been over written somehow despite not being an autosave file. I had well over 300 hours in those two save files. One of them was nearly level 70. I'm now stuck with a crappy low level save or nothing.

But have any other developer's had this many problems?
Other developers haven't produced a game that is as large as Skyrim.
Bethesda & Sony are both at fault. Bethesda Softworks developed games are glitch ridden across all platforms. Fun or not, it's comical how Bethesda continues to get a free pass with their games, but I suppose it is what it is.
Bethesda is at fault for making a buggy game. Sony is at fault for making a console with a stupid RAM layout that can't compete with the 360.

The 360 has 512MB of, shall we say, "all around RAM." It can be used as VRAM and RAM. The PS3, on the other hand, has 256MB of RAM and 256MB of VRAM.

So, if Skyrim takes up 256MB of RAM, and 100MB of VRAM, both consoles are OK. But if Dawnguard takes up an additional 50MB of RAM on top of the 256MB, the PS3 is screwed, and the 360 is OK, because its RAM can be used either way.

X360 Memory
512MB GDDR3 Unified RAM - Plus 10MB Embedded DRAM within Xenos
32MB reserved for OS
522MB total RAM

PS3 Memory
256MB VRAM GDDR3
256MB Main XDR DRAM
All 256MB Main XDR(much faster & more efficient than GDDR3) accessible to the RSX
48MB reserved for OS
512MB total RAM

In the right hands, games of all genres on the PS3 can sing. Bethesda Softworks are one of many 3rd-party devs that either don't have the hands, knowledge, finanances or perhaps all 3 to achieve on the PS3. Bethesda should move on and continue with what they know. That decision would upset many, but Bethesda have a loyal following, so it'll most likely turn into water under the bridge.

The PS3 coding could be too much of a mess for Sony to really provide worthwhile help.

Considering the limitations of both consoles(both have their +/-), I'm impressed with what certain devs have accomplished over the years with them both.

Last edited:
Back