The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
GAME have e-mailed me today saying my LE has been desptached, hoping it comes tomorrow as I have a day off from work then anyway :).

Getting it tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait.

Word of warning to the 360 owners out there, apparently, Skyrim is low res without an install, so if you're planning on getting it for the 360, make sure you have space for the install.
I install EVERY single 360 game I play. Because the 360 is such an unreliable console, this helps extend its life. Plus makes it quiter and runs cooler.

I plan to rent Skyrim as soon as the rental store opens up Friday morning at 10:00 AM. Really looking forward to this game. But I am a bit nervous of all the bugs that Bethesda/ Obsidian games usually have when they are released. New Vegas was a complete bug infested disaster when it was released. One of THE most buggy games I played. Hopefully this new engine takes care of most of the problems.

New Vegas was a complete bug infested disaster when it was released. One of THE most buggy games I played. Hopefully this new engine takes care of most of the problems.

I have to disagree. I bought New Vegas on launch and only just downloaded a patch for it a few weeks ago. Up until that point, I was playing version 1.0 and had no major problems.

I have to disagree. I bought New Vegas on launch and only just downloaded a patch for it a few weeks ago. Up until that point, I was playing version 1.0 and had no major problems.
Were you on the PC or 360? I had the 360 version and it was WELL known that the game was loaded with problems. There was a massive patch list released for that game. If you didnt have problems, you are very lucky. Even the PC version had major issues at launch. The excorsist was the first well known glitch and that was the very beginning of the game. I eventually after months of patches I gave up on NV and traded the game in.

That link about textures is wrong. I've been looking on the official forums and the apparantley there's a bug so if you install it the textures go bad, but are fine if you don't install. It's not an optional install a la BF3.

The lazygamer.net article has it the wrong way round.

The lazygamer.net article has it the wrong way round.

The site was new to me until today. Having looked at some other articles on their site, it wouldn't surprise me to hear they've gotten something wrong.

I just found out I have $60 in reward bucks at best buy so I think I may pick this up. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game but I really like the setting of Skyrim. I don't know where I will find the time for it between all the games I have.

Last edited:
Were you on the PC or 360? I had the 360 version and it was WELL known that the game was loaded with problems. There was a massive patch list released for that game. If you didnt have problems, you are very lucky. Even the PC version had major issues at launch. The excorsist was the first well known glitch and that was the very beginning of the game. I eventually after months of patches I gave up on NV and traded the game in.

Even though you're right, much has to do with your luck AND whether you're cautious or not. When playing Bethesda games, I make it a habit to make new gamesaves every hour or two. I haven't been affected by any game-breaking bugs in Fallout: NV (other than silly bugs like corpses falling through the floor, etc.). I haven't finished it but have my fair share of hours on my gamesave.

New Vegas is not made by Bethesda. Its Obsidian and Obsidian games are much more bug infested. You still didnt mention if you had the 360 or PC version. The 360 Version was very buggy.

I have the PS3 version. If what I've read in the past is still true, the PS3 version is not as well-supported as the PC or 360 ones.

I'm very intrigued with this game, I'm just not a big magic fan in games. IDK, I think it would be a great game.

I might have to give it a try down the road.

I'm very intrigued with this game, I'm just not a big magic fan in games. IDK, I think it would be a great game.

The best part of the Elder Scrolls series is the freedom to really play it how you'd like. You don't need to play with magic at all if you don't want to. Some classes are totally useless when it comes to casting spells.

OLDSKOOLACURA

I'm kind of the same way. I keep seeing so much gameplay of this and it really does look great but i've never played a game like it before. Uncharted is on the Christmas list and I may have to see about picking this up on boxing day... Hmmm.

The best part of the Elder Scrolls series is the freedom to really play it how you'd like. You don't need to play with magic at all if you don't want to. Some classes are totally useless when it comes to casting spells.
Exactly. You dont have to touch a single magic spell the entire game if you dont want too. You can use bow and arrow, have 2 handed huge swords, dual wield lighter swords, or have a sword and a shield. You are free to do whatever you want in Skyrim. 👍

Just wondering the view that everyone will be using? Usually I use FP in the Bethesda and Obsidian games but I can see myself switching back and forth now that they put some serious effort into making the character look really good.

My game has apparently been dispatched/shipped as of yesterday, but I haven't recieved it yet, some people have had theirs but I expect I will get mine tomorrow. Bought the PC version.

Exactly. You dont have to touch a single magic spell the entire game if you dont want too. You can use bow and arrow, have 2 handed huge swords, dual wield lighter swords, or have a sword and a shield. You are free to do whatever you want in Skyrim. 👍

Just wondering the view that everyone will be using? Usually I use FP in the Bethesda and Obsidian games but I can see myself switching back and forth now that they put some serious effort into making the character look really good.

I'll switch back and forth. Won't use 3rd person if the animations look like Adrian Sutil the way they did in Oblivion.

Getting this one on Friday for sure. I logged over 200 hours on Oblivion so I'm excited for this game!

3rd person looks way better than in Oblivion. It's no Assassin's Creed yet, but Bethesda has made progress :)

There are some freezing and framerate bugs (playing the PS3 version), but hopefully they will be addressed soon.

Did anybody pre-order from Game Uk and get theirs yet? Guess i'm being impatient but what with them saying it was shipped on tuesday I would usually expect it to be here shortly after!

Edit : It just arived and comes up with the message "Skyrim cannot be installed, because it has not yet been released". The game launched steam to do the install, before steam gives me the message. So it looks like PC users will not be playing this game today.

Ouch, lol!

Last edited:
Yes!! Someone broke street date so EBgames sold it early, keen as to get home :lol:!
I heard everyone is getting it early so I wonder if the rental store will have it today. That would be awesome. I will have to call at lunch to see.

Back