The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments
Boneyards freak me out... Like, to me personally, they deserve a moment of silence (well, my jaw is normally on the floor each time I look at one) every time you see a picture of them.

Boneyards freak me out... Like, to me personally, they deserve a moment of silence (well, my jaw is normally on the floor each time I look at one) every time you see a picture of them.

It's just scary!
aymkx5k2ujguv3c3mijp.jpg

28-boneyard-hercules-full.jpg

jpeg-disk-diapos-145028.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

A ghost wanted to take this F-16 for a ride
140714-F-XX001-001.jpg

I would reno that and turn it into a holiday cottage in a heartbeat if I had the power. :D

While I have followed this discussion from the beginning, I have had no need to contribute except by clicking - there is so much in here already to read and savour (thanks, guys) but I noticed this wasn't mentioned - and I feel we must give at least a passing thought to this poor guy:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/asia/air-india-engineer-sucked-into-plane-engine/
Yeah, heard about that last night watching Matt Davies' stream..

And as far as boneyards, you guys should look up 747 boneyard storm (mobile right now). Its a 747 in a wind storm that tries to take off...

I couldn't find anything of the guy who took the shot (look at the bottom left of the frame "R. Pothorcki"), nor does Google maps show that water tower, and the other com tower anywhere on the mountain...

However, the boat on the ride with the two life rings on the bottoms says "Road Bay", which is the long island to the north of Sint Maarten...

So my guess would be yes, and yes because KLM still flies the 747 to TNCM.

I couldn't find anything of the guy who took the shot (look at the bottom left of the frame "R. Pothorcki"), nor does Google maps show that water tower, and the other com tower anywhere on the mountain...

However, the boat on the ride with the two life rings on the bottoms says "Road Bay", which is the long island to the north of Sint Maarten...

So my guess would be yes, and yes because KLM still flies the 747 to TNCM.
Nice bit of research there.

TNCM is also one of the most photographed airports in the world. Usually not from that angle, though ;)

If I recall, they were actually pretty careful with the plane. While it was shot it, it never really tested the thickest (mainland Russia) air defenses. It was considered somewhat vulnerable, as was the XB-70, and wasn't as stealthy as hoped. Still a fantastic plane though.

Thought I'd mention this after reading...

The two vertical fins you see for the vertical stabilizers on the SR71, were designed by a man who suggested the idea to Lockheed way back in 1934, while he was a student in wind tunnel development for the Lockheed A10 Electra:
44.2-Lockheed-Electra-L-10E-1934.jpg

sr-71-ec94-42531-4.jpg

Thought I'd mention this after reading...

The two vertical fins you see for the vertical stabilizers on the SR71, were designed by a man who suggested the idea to Lockheed way back in 1934, while he was a student in wind tunnel development for the Lockheed A10 Electra:
44.2-Lockheed-Electra-L-10E-1934.jpg

sr-71-ec94-42531-4.jpg
And let us not forget the glorious P-38 Lightning. :D

Back