The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,817 comments
No. No Kamina shades right now... Be patient. You'll see something spectacular in a couple months.

Hotties? Akashiya Moka... Ura, to be exact.... a fine woman.
Akashiya_Moka.jpg

:banghead: Stupidest Qwaser II episode... ever.

Last edited:
Hell yeah Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are from the golden age of anime! It seems most of my favorite anime shows are from the mid to late 90s. Don't forget to throw Outlaw Star in there too.

AOS- what spectacular thing can we expect? :)

Oh wait, my bad, that was Rykon Zero with the Kamina fixation...

And AOS-, that's so sweet, for most of us our first anime has a special place in our hearts, and yours is rather twisted...

Ah crap we both pulled the same images of Akashiya,,,

Oh, nothing really, was just curious about the character you mentioned, and when I found out she was from Rosario, and remembered that was your first anime, thought I'd post a picture and something hopefully slightly clever, but you edited your post and beat me to the picture, so...

I never really had a first. Never got into it until I watched Death Note. (Literally thinking "I'm going to get addicted to this, and my life will be forever changed") That said, I wouldn't go back, because TTGL taught me how to face fear.

ooooo this is gonna be good:

First of all, the thing about ponys stacking up followers and here we are mostly the same 5 guys over and over is simply because, as many of you stated, anime had it's "golden age" and it has passed. With a vengeance. You see, I've been watching anime seriously precisely when this golden age was in full bloom, and interest in anime grew incredibly fast. You had all these exceptional shows for all tastes, some gems that still today are held at the very top of every anime list and blah blah.

Yet at the middle of the previous decade, anime fell into a black hole. First came the pokemon-type shows (pokemon, digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade and all that trash) and anime soon lost many followers. Then came the whole "tard wave": Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, and everyone vomited once more. Then came this era which most of you have mentioned, the massive school-girl-fan-service-moe trash that has many of us vomiting right now. Brilliant stuff that has happened in these years hasn't had the mass awareness that the trash shows have achieved, and many followers have simply left the scene. Believe me, It's been a while since I saw someting remotely intresting save for the Miyazaki films. All of it has 10 years now.

Now, for the Bebop-Trigun thing: LOL.

You can't even mention Trigun and Bebop together. It's like comparing You're Under Arrest with Evangelion. Trigun is a sub-average level show that is SO SLOW-PACED you want to cry. Vash is ABSOLUTELY UNBEARABLE. He's like Goku with a gun. Or Kenshin. You can't compare Spike, who is a true bad-ass, and this jerk. He's so full of anime cliches like pointy hair, stupid faces, chibi moments, and so on, and therein lies his funny moments. He doesn't begin to be a bad-ass until almost the end of the series, and even then he is absolutely stupid. The rest of the characters are just as annoying. I cant stand Trigun, it may not be THAT bad, but I hate it with allllllllll my being simply because it is usually put level with Bebop, having ABSOLUTELY no point of comparison whatsoever, aside from the high quantity of bullets that rain in both series. Whoever said something about Bebop and Trigun in the same sentence has way less respect from my part now.

And

Akashiya_Moka.jpg

This needs glasses.

//massive logical post//

Agreed,in everything except the Vash bit,yes Vash is an Idiot(in fact its like Homer of the anime)but it also has a decent background and enough justifications for his behaviour(remind you why is the 60 billion dollar men).

As for the rest,yes its a sad true,since Pokemon and Digimon started to take over it is a series of bad anime after bad anime,the only few things that I can defend in the last 5 years or so are Haruhi,Death note and probably Sayonara zetsubou sensei,the rest is just wrong,pretty damn good storylines and plots blew up by the Schoolgirly background.

There have been a few daring attempts though recently. Eden of the East, Code Geass, Baccano!, Mushi-shi. But as everything else in this world, anime is trying to make a profit, and so has been aiming at mass-markets, which are pretty shallow and zombied-out, so yeah, most of the money is going to what draws viewers the advertisers who fund these projects want to reach.

Theoretically, anime is a profound and potentially radical storytelling medium. No need to work with real images, total freedom to create your own background and story, and viewers who are fairly forgiving of the final execution. This is why I keep getting more into manga. Even cheaper to produce, fewer advertisers to satisfy, more artistic freedom.

So while the majority of anime offerings nowadays are pure ****, those of us with more sophisticated tastes will still be able to find a few things to satisfy us, and though the pickings may be few in anime, I expect and hope that manga will deliver enough to keep us from abandoning the genre entirely in despair.

There's also the anime of the bakemonogatari/tatami galaxy school which is perhaps even a little too modern for me. Fast paced, abstract, definitely pushing some limits. Makes me have faith that anime will keep offering quality series for some time to come which will not just entertain me, but make me think about my place in the world in constructive ways.

But yeah, old school anime rocks. Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Patlabor, Bebop, and Miyazaki will most likely always be my favorites.

Now, for the Bebop-Trigun thing: LOL.

While that may be your opinion, Trigun isn't trying to be as serious as Bebop. Bebop is a mostly serious-ish show with comedy moments in it, while Trigun is just silly and fun action with serious bits here and there. Vash is funny precisely because he's supposed to be some badass killing machine, but is instead a whiny crybaby, but even then he'll do incredible things to make sure no one get's hurt. He's not a true badass all the time per se, but he most definitely has his moments. I guess you could say the other supporting characters are similar, in that they're mostly entertaining, but show depth in their roles every now and then. And you say Trigun is slow-paced? It's the same length as Bebop, with roughly the same amount of plot, and they're both westerns... (Bebop being a space western). One similarity I would draw between both Spike and Vash is that they're both seen (by other characters and us viewers) as badasses and everything, but they don't consider themselves as such. Both shows have great music, character development and cool setting.

I guess you're entitled to your own opinion and views and all, not everyone feels the same way about everything of course. But that's no reason to respect anyone any less. Or is it? :P Personally I can't stand Angel Beats, K-ON or Madoka mostly because the characters are so stereotypical, cliche and 2-dimensional. I guess I feel about them in a similar way you seem to about Trigun, so I at least understand your feelings, Cano :)

*Gurren Lagann.

I'll defend that to the grave.

There have been a few daring attempts though recently.

Ah yes, there have been brilliant shows and movies in recent years, what with both seasons of Ghost in the Shell, Oscar-winning Spirited Away, PlanetEs, Wolfsrain, Tekkon Kinkreet and many others, all of them from last decade, all of them defended anime’s quality and fierce individuality, and of course they got attention, but not as much as they deserved (although Miyazaki put anime in the world’s eyes).

So while the majority of anime offerings nowadays are pure ****, those of us with more sophisticated tastes will still be able to find a few things to satisfy us, and though the pickings may be few in anime, I expect and hope that manga will deliver enough to keep us from abandoning the genre entirely in despair.

Yes, I think there will always be something worth watching, even if you are really up to your mother of the common anime stuff. It’s been like that for the past 5 or 6 years with me. I’ve come to the conclusion that anime sucks, plain and simple. However, there are always some brave exceptions that many times turn to be awesome. You have to look for them, sometimes really hard, but they are out there. And they don’t have to be the latest stuff.

While that may be your opinion, Trigun...

True. That is why Trigun sucks. It tries to be funny, and frankly, anime comedy sucks and blows at the same time. Do not confuse with comedy anime, which mostly sucks too, but there are some good ones in the sub-genre. Anyone seen Oruchuban Ebichu?

Also, I aprove the last picture post. Who are those?

Cowboy Bebop is an overall better show however Trigun is fantastic. I love both of them and I usually pair them together because I saw them at around the same time and both were some of the first anime I watched.

I will agree that there have been newer shows that are also very good like Code Geass. I don't really support Haruhi. I've only seen the first season but it wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting. It's not a bad show, but I didn't think it was great by any means.

I've watched a few episodes of Melancholy/Haruhi.. and honestly, before I watched any of it, I always had the impression Haruhi was an energetic talented girl who is quite optimistic and popular... Instead I'm watching an idiot who's into aliens and abuses other students.... hope that changes...

Can-O
First came the pokemon-type shows (pokemon, digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade and all that trash) and anime soon lost many followers. Then came the whole "tard wave": Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, and everyone vomited once more. Then came this era which most of you have mentioned, the massive school-girl-fan-service-moe trash that has many of us vomiting right now.

Gotta admit, the lesser moe (non-fanservice) stuff blows the listed Shounen stuff out of the water at the very least.

Gotta admit, the lesser moe (non-fanservice) stuff blows the listed Shounen stuff out of the water at the very least.

I wouldn't say it blows it out of the water. Slightly better on average though, sure.

Have you seen Gunbuster and/or Diebuster?

I’ve been meaning to. I watched the 1st ep of Diebuster and found it pretty amusing and graphically cool, then looked some Gunbuster and found a very old-school-style anime with boobs everywhere. I haven’t seen both complete, so I can’t really say too much, but I will eventually.

And Trigun sucks (:

I always had the impression Haruhi was an energetic talented girl who is quite optimistic and popular... Instead I'm watching an idiot who's into aliens and abuses other students.... hope that changes...

Well, she is all of those things, (except popular)... :P

And I brought up Gun/DieBuster since Rykon mentioned Gainax. They're both reasonably short and pretty great While they may be set in different time periods, they are actually related. Noriko's screams (in Gunbuster) are my favourite in any show, and Diebuster's ending theme will get in your head for days :) Also, if you can get Gunbuster with the extra "science lessons", they're pretty great as well.

Oh, and one more thing, while we're kind of on the subject of 'western'-themed anime as well as comparing new vs old - Gun X Sword, made about '05. Try and imagine if you can a more serious Trigun, with the main character being MUCH more serious, grumpy, selfish and surly. Oh, and he can pilot a giant robot. Of course :P

Speaking of westerns, Desert Punk? Though as a studio, I have been watching alot of shows from Production I.G than Gainax.Then again, they produce alot of good OVAs.

Gundams are cool.

Rewatching Clannad After Story... Got to Episode 16..That part where Tomoya lets go and Nagisa's arm drops to the floor.... Dear me, that was animated super super well. :(

Last edited:
Back