The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,817 comments
I don't know :lol:
edit:
Taken from someone's FB page
http://io9.com/5814586/for-624-this-neon-genesis-evangelion-sparkling-wine-could-be-yours
evangelionwine.jpg

Last edited:
Have you ever heard someone describe a bottle as sexy?

I used to play gt, but I've lost interest after I realized that racing games i truly love aren't simulators.

@Muza... $5 or it ain't happening :P I'm really not in the mood to go erase a background off a miku picture right now...

Found you a new iPod/iPhone wallpaper, Sephicon.

18316456.jpg

268696_210296645672223_196941927007695_507990_6880595_n.jpg

Click for Full Size

Last edited:
I actually like how the original style of BRS is depicted with flat forms... where her appearance in other words, is not 3-dimensionalized.

I just got inspired to draw another BRS pic... this time it's going to look badass. Seems like my current colouring style isn't popular, so I'm going to have to whip out a tablet or go straight up black and white.

Have you ever heard someone describe a bottle as sexy?

I used to play gt, but I've lost interest after I realized that racing games i truly love aren't simulators.

@Muza... $5 or it ain't happening :P I'm really not in the mood to go erase a background off a miku picture right now...

Found you a new iPod/iPhone wallpaper, Sephicon.

18316456.jpg

268696_210296645672223_196941927007695_507990_6880595_n.jpg

Click for Full Size

Is that kyoko picture ment to make me drool?Well if it is it worked....:sly:

Edit:What a dead thread right now :/

Last edited:
So... I was watching EoE the other day when two of my classmates came over to my room to return some movies they borrowed from me. One of them happened to be one of those close-minded fools who cannot stand anime. He made some comment about how cartoons are for children, and I started cracking up. EoE for children? Unfortunately the scene I was on didn't quite showcase how ****ed up it would be for children to watch it.

But anyway, today in class I asked him what he had against anime. His smartass response was "I just don't watch that Chinese bull****". After some discussion and some well-timed interjections from some of my less close-minded classmates, we decided that I would watch a movie of his choosing and he'd watch an anime movie of my choosing. One of my classmates remarked that I should make him watch the anime that he had dismissed as "for children". Obviously though, I'm not gonna subject him to End of Evangelion. Though it would certainly shatter his notion of anime being for children, it would make zero sense to him and would probably intensify his anime phobia. So I'm settling for Evangelion 1.11. And he's gonna subject me to Goodfellas, which I was planning on watching eventually anyway. :P

The thing is... my TV is a mere 19". I'm simply not gonna let him watch it on this thing. So after some deliberation, we arrived at a rather awesome decision: We're gonna watch our movies at a classmate's party tomorrow on a 40-something inch TV. And that means that it won't just be me and him, it'll be my whole class watching. :D

tl;dr version: I watch Evangelion too much. This'll be my 3rd time watching Eva 1.11 since telling myself I wouldn't rewatch the Rebuild of Evangelion movies again until 3.0 comes out. :lol:

Last edited:
Not speaking from a fanboy's perspective, but those kinds of remarks just goes to show how ignorant people are...

I'd say 2.22 is way more of a grown up type of movie. Unfortunately you really need to watch the full series to understand half of what is going on in it lol.

Also you really have to have a taste for Evangelion. People either like it or they don't and if he doesn't he will still have that perception of all anime. Might I suggest Grave of the Fireflies or something like that?

You will enjoy Goodfellas though. It's great.

Good job getting the chance set up to expose so many people to anime!

I might also consider the Bebop movie or Ghost in the Shell. Did your friend like Bladerunner? If so Ghost in the Shell for sure. Or the Girl Who Leapt Through Time (oh wait, you don't have that one any more! Thanks again! And by the way, was I just dreaming, or did you recently put out a call for more requests off your list???)

Girl who Leapt through Time is a classic.

Agreed,The girl who leap through Time is incredible,which reminds me of 5 centimeter per second which is also great,also one of the few animes that correctly portraits an space launch and pre launch procedures.

Might I suggest Akira as the movie of choice? That is, of course, if you can find it. You could also subject them to Paprika, Jin Roh (AWESOME) or Steamboy. Ghost in the Shell, already mentioned, would also work.

Thinking about it, I'd show Jin Roh.

EDIT: Ah, and be sure to tell me when the second BRS ova is out. Mere curiosity.

I really don't know how people still think cartoons are for kids when there are shows like Family Guy, American Dad, and South Park, to name a few. You can't just generalise like that...

But on the subject of Eva, the main characters are all 14, aren't they? So the target audience would be somewhere around that age, probably a little older. I'm not saying I would consider that age as a 'child', but sort of close-ish to it... Well, Eva isn't really the norm for anime though, so I guess it's not really a great example. Add that to the fact that Japan has a much different culture, and the issue becomes less-than-simple.

While I wouldn't consider Grave of the Fireflies a kid's movie, and most people would agree, it was originally marketed and screened to children and their parents in a double-feature with My Neighbor Totoro - Totoro was put second in the billing, to cheer everyone up afterwards. That being said, GotF has earned much critical acclaim, and is definitely not seen as a kid's movie.

Also remember The Matrix (rated as mature) was inspired by anime - Ghost in the Shell and Akira especially :)

Back