THE GRAND TOUR! MONDAY EVENINGS! 7:30ET/00:30GMTOpen 

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 259 comments
sorry guys, I fell asleep :( I was going to take a Caldina GT, which resembles the Altea XL on the looks, but itsa 4wd, and a Fiat Panda, my dad's first car.
but this week with all the studying I've been doing, been pretty tired. trying to get to supervisor at my work atm.

an Italian night might be cool if appart fro mthe super cars, the everyday ones like alfas and fiats get their places to race.
Pity there's no Portguese maker, but then again, appart from UMM, which went fro mthe 70's until 2006, we never got much of an automaker. A few race cars from the wealthy and so, and another attempts to establish a national automobile market, that the government did not help with.

here you can see pics of 10 of our attempts, its a Portuguese article, but stats should be compreehensible
http://www.razaoautomovel.com/2016/04/11-marcas-de-automoveis-portuguesas-conheces-todas

Last edited:
sorry guys, I fell asleep :( I was going to take a Caldina GT, which resembles the Altea XL on the looks, but itsa 4wd, and a Fiat Panda, my dad's first car.
but this week with all the studying I've been doing, been pretty tired. trying to get to supervisor at my work atm.

an Italian night might be cool if appart fro mthe super cars, the everyday ones like alfas and fiats get their places to race.
Pity there's no Portguese maker, but then again, appart from UMM, which went fro mthe 70's until 2006, we never got much of an automaker. A few race cars from the wealthy and so, and another attempts to establish a national automobile market, that the government did not help with.

here you can see pics of 10 of our attempts, its a Portuguese article, but stats should be compreehensible
http://www.razaoautomovel.com/2016/04/11-marcas-de-automoveis-portuguesas-conheces-todas
Some entertaining-looking cars for sure! I would race them. We could do an Italian night this Monday. The game will allow us to restrict cars up to 5 manufacturers (but they have to be in the same country). And yes, I wouldn't allow Ferrari or Lamborghini in. We'd all be racing Dinos since that may be the only car with low enough pp if I did:lol:. Even though I've never driven one, Alfa is my favorite manufacturer:D. So sounds like it would be an interesting night. I love racing ordinary cars!:gtpflag:

EDIT - Some of these nights that are quite successful or just plain fun, like this past Monday, we'll definitely do again. Maybe we can think of an interesting twist!

Last edited:
This upcoming Monday (January 23rd) we will be doing.....

BYOC!!
In case you're wondering, that is 'Bring your own(real life) car' so....
You get bonus points for bringing your first car!

I'm sorry I missed last weeks races:(

I would like to have brought out my first car, a used green '72 Datsun 510:

Here's a picture from the game of a '69 Nissan 510 which looks nearly identical to my old car:

32156414450_fa7e499f92_k.jpg

GT6 says that a new one could be purchased for $25,700:

31691811444_c990a5d1ee_k.jpg

^^^^This price is quite a bit more than what it should be or anywhere near what I paid for my used Datsun (which was probably more in the $5000 to $6000 dollar range.
:cheers:

Some results and back stories from "Bring Your Own Car 450pp CM" event on Monday 7:30ET / Tuesday 00:30GMT.

@Benny44 hosting.
London Forward (6 minutes)
1: @PASM BMW 120i '04
2: kari-wrx Lotus Elise 111R '04
3: @Autope10 Volkswagen Golf IV GTI '01
4: gt_brunogarcia Volkswagen Golf I GTI '76
5: cubsalltheway Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
6: BenMillard Fiat Panda Super i.e. '90 (family had one for a short time when I was very little)

Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway (8 minutes)
3: BenMillard Lotus Carlton '90 (dad had a Vauxhall Carlton 2l CDi estate)

Cape Ring (10 minutes)
2: MGF '97 (a college friend's dad had this car)

Brands Hatch Indy Circuit (6 minutes)
2: Fiat 500 1.2 8V Lounge SS '08 (drove this combo in real life on a track day!)

Mid-Field Raceway (8 minutes)
3: Vauxhall Corsa Comfort 1.4 '01 (mum had a 1990s Corsa 1.2i in this body style and colour)

@BenMillard hosting.
Tsukuba Circuit (6 minutes)
4: Lotus Elan S1 '61 (workshop teacher had an Elan 2+2)

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
6: Lotus Elan S1 '61 (running out of ideas)

High Speed Ring / Reverse
4: BenMillard Lotus Carlton '90 (270km/h drafting!)

High Speed Ring / Reverse
1: Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6 '03 (school friend's family had two of these, 1990s normal versions)

We should definitely do this again some time! Maybe one week every month?

by all means, also include Italians super cars. that's what comes to everyone's mind when you talk about Italian cars, and with the choice, you can make a 550-600pp race easily with some diversity on the grid.

There are lots of rooms using the supercars. Alfa GTV, Fiat Coupé...let the over-powered versions of stylish hairdresser cars shine!

I updated the second post - Italian cars, 450pp, CS tires. It will mostly be Fiat and Alfa. Does anyone know what Italian tracks there are besides Monza and Rome? I thought there was one more, but not sure

Some ideas from GT6:
  • Monza '80s is rarely used and has a funky double first chicane with kinked approach.
  • Circuito di Roma and Circuito di Roma / Reverse.
  • Cote d'Azur (Monaco) is near the Italian border.
  • Ascari Full Track is in Spain but has hosted Italian supercar seasonal events. As a 'race resort' for enthusiasts it could be a good fit!
  • Madrid is sunny and in the Mediterranean region of Europe, like Italy.
  • Nurburgring GP/F is in Europe and has great corner variety.
  • Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is in Europe could help heavier, higher powered cars.
  • Eiger Nordwand Short Track is interpreted from a European location.
  • High Speed Ring has banking profiles a bit like old Monza. (Reverse has a parabolic banked curve down a long straight to a very fast right, too.)
  • Gran Turismo Arena would suit cars at this PP level.
You may remember:
  • GT2 and 3 (PS2) had a different Rome. Forward and Reverse directions.
  • GT2 had a unique Rome - Night.
Hope it helps. 👍

I remember the old Rome track! I think in one of the challenges that's where you had to race a bunch of Zondas - the hard part was the AI was allowed in with the Zonda race car and you had to beat the race in a normal Zonda to win it. Very difficult because the AI's car was so much faster!

We'll definitely do the two Italian tracks. I think it might be interesting to do two different variations of Monza back to back. Monaco will also be fun. Ascari - that track is punishing. Lots of blind turns, and if you miss your braking point, you could be over 150 meters off track very quickly:crazy:.

I'll keep your list on hand Monday evening. I knew you'd find a way to get High speed ring reverse on there:sly:. I'm just surprised you didn't mention Autumn ring. That's actually where I will start the session, doing 3 lap warm up races on the mini circuit for the first half hour or so until everyone settles in
:gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag:

I'm not sure that is available in online multiplayer @BEllis7979. I think it might be a 'created track' even though it was made by Polyphony. If that's the case, we'd have no option to race another track.

SIerra is available, its a long track though. pretty great. but long. longer than the nord, if not mistaken.
monza 80's is indeed not used so often. rearely even

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a one lap deal @Lilium, and not really a lot of challenge to maneuver, but what a fast and fun track... Incidently, I was just running nurburgring with Ayrton Sienna's F3 car (not the Lotus) it's the first time I've enjoyed that track. Though I redlined and got walled by some AI.

@Benny44, it would probably hurt too much to lose on my favorite track anyway ;)

@BEllis7979
with 450pp its not much of a challenge, but its indeed a fun track.
the nurb is a great track, though its mostly the track that's run online. mostly in a track day matter, or Racing soft tyres lobbies.

its a pity I can't take the giulletta and spider duetto 1600 due to not reaching 450pp. those cars look great

When the martin raced are done, I could host the room for lower pp level they reach on CM? Duetto was a favorite of mine on 350pp Autumn Ring Quick Match last year. We could run 400pp so extreme ballast isn't needed for other cars?

I can go for that 400Pp and use the old 500. it isn't competitive, but sure is fun and pretty
That's what it's all about! As long as we have fun, then it's been a successful night. I'm not a big drinker, but on our Monday evenings I have the occasional beer(I fall asleep if I have more than two:boggled:). But this club is all about relaxing and enjoying a fun night driving fun cars:D.

And bring a couple 450pp cars too if you have them. I think Rome would be suited well to 400pp, and Monza would probably be better at 450pp. I haven't ran Monza in ages, so I hope I can remember the track a bit:).

What a tremendous evening of racing! By far the most fun I've ever had at Monza and the 80's version was especially entertaining.

Really lucked out guessing tunes for cars I bought and always wanted to drive but never had. 400pp Fiat Barchetta deserved a win, what a cute vehicle, sadly (inevitably?) I choked at the final chicane.

400pp cars on city tracks next week's theme?

What a tremendous evening of racing! By far the most fun I've ever had at Monza and the 80's version was especially entertaining.

Really lucked out guessing tunes for cars I bought and always wanted to drive but never had. 400pp Fiat Barchetta deserved a win, what a cute vehicle, sadly (inevitably?) I choked at the final chicane.

400pp cars on city tracks next week's theme?
City tracks is a very good idea! Maybe we'll start in the country(Sierra @BEllis7979)and then hit the city tracks. There's London, Rome, Madrid, maybe Côte d'Azur, and I think there's one or two others I'm forgetting off the top of my head. Too bad Seattle is gone- I loved that track.

I still want to figure out a theme, but it's nice when it isn't complicated like last night. It gets tiring explaining to every new person what the requirements are. Maybe we'll do a Japanese evening - so many choices there.

I had a lot of fun last night. I refrained from using my favorite car in the game(the Alfa race car - I can never remember what it's called, but it's got Zagato in the name) because it's a race car, although I never stipulated no race cars. One night soon we'll do a race car only night. That would be a blast with those lower pp ones - they're always focused on handling and almost always fun to drive.

We had a few bumps last night, but all in all it was pretty good. A couple races emperor squeezed me out, but I'm not sure it was intentional so I just left it alone. Accidents are going to happen, it's part of racing. I find Daytona to be tricky to not slide into people. I didn't gear my car properly there and the car had a lot more juice left in it I couldn't use.

Just another note about those 2 lap races at the start - I didn't make them so we'd get into every one, that's why I put 1 minute intervals. Those that have their cars ready can have a little fun while waiting, and those that don't can tune, wait for only up to about 3 mins and give their tune a try in a quick race. It's just an alternative to endlessly lapping. Plus, it may encourage drop-ins to stay instead of getting impatient and leaving. Anyway, great night all! I'll try and get next week's itinerary up by tomorrow evening so we can get cars ready during the week

:gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag:

Great racing with everyone last night!👍

I agree with @BenMillard the races at the '80's Monza track were great fun!

After the races, I took a look at my final lap pass in the Rome race, and it seems to be ok, but I'm interested in everyone's opinion so I took some pictures:

1) Cubsalltheway drives around my outside as I hang onto Ben's bumper:
32247824250_283ac53c96_k.jpg

2) Cubs is right beside me as I hug the corner's apex:
32473763042_730b42ed2b_k.jpg

3) Cubs and GTsail power past BenMillard as we get to the final sweepers:
32504501121_2a6ea8b1d7_k.jpg

4) Cubs gets a little out of shape going into the 2nd to last right-hander:
32247912710_a412efe868_k.jpg

5) GTsail hugs the corner's apex looking for an opening:
32586773186_70658e745a_k.jpg

6) GTsail almost reaches the rear-bumper of Cub's MiTo at the 8:51.647 mark:
32586784266_14df36f56a_k.jpg

7) Cubs slides a little further off the corner's apex at the 8:51.897 mark:
32247979020_b00c72bfe5_k.jpg

8) Cubs opens the door just a little more at the 8:52.264 mark:
32473918412_543cc52d18_k.jpg

9) GTsail starts to drive up the inside of Cubs at the 8:52.564 mark:
31783852854_163a46b180_k.jpg

10) There's about 3 inches of space between Cubs and GTsail at the 8:52.564 mark:
This picture shows just how close we came:nervous:, but I think it was clean:nervous:
32586876116_370e4cf440_k.jpg

11) A tick later, there's now about 4 inches of space between Cubs and GTsail:
32504666461_490b84a977_k.jpg

more pictures to follow...

Last edited:
More pictures:
12) A tick further along, there is now about 6 inches between Cubs and GTsail:
32473994752_2718348a37_k.jpg

13) A tick later, gap opens up to about 10 inches:
32248074160_a1698796f6_k.jpg

14) At the mid-corner, GTsail is now side-by-side with Cubs and has just taken over the race lead at the 8:53.731 mark
32504737721_0dd127a7fe_k.jpg

15) By the 8:54.249 mark GTsail has pulled ahead:
31783966824_a42deb3000_k.jpg

16) But I do slide a little over in front of Cubs to get a better line into the final corner:
32248154450_0f54297f4a_k.jpg

17) The view from BenMillard shows a small gap between Cubs and GTsail, but we are both heading towards each other:
32627364455_062cc1b4ae_k.jpg

18) At the 8:54.516 mark, GTsail just clears the front bumper of Cubs:
32627390325_0bd95cc6d5_k.jpg

19) GTsail has fully cleared cubs as we drive into the final corner at 8:55.067:
31784079984_c5f9fd90bc_k.jpg

20) At the 8:55.534 mark BenMillard is still right on our rear-bumpers:nervous:
32587143216_b45be5507c_k.jpg

21) At the 8:56.968 mark we are all thru the final corner and are streaking to the Finish line:
32504916091_c6a7a0145e_k.jpg

22) GTsail is just able to cross the finish line with only a half-car length lead:)
32627508865_dec7f7a6db_k.jpg

Great fun!
:cheers:
@BenMillard - did you keep the replay of this race? Can you take a look at it and see if your replay looked any differently than mine?

Thanks,
GTsail

It looks pretty clean to me @GTsail. Close, but clean. Here's the thing with this club - I want close, competitive racing. BUT - I am not going to worry about tight/questionable altercations. If someone is a little too aggressive race after race and week after week, we'll deal with it then. Casual and laid back racing means if there are little bumps and altercations don't stress or worry about it. It's about having fun. I'm not trying to downplay the importance of clean racing. But - if there is a bump/aggressive driving then give your fellow racer the benefit of the doubt. Always do that first. If you feel it's getting worse, I'd rather you message me (unless someone is blatantly trying to ruin other's races). I'll look at the replays and message them about it. If it continues, they will no longer be allowed to race with us. I have no problem kicking someone out, but again, give them the benefit of the doubt first. Just because one race is ruined because of an unfair manoeuvre doesn't mean they are a dirty racer. It could be a mistake. Just remember to have fun, that is the entire point of this. Not to see who is fastest

@GTsail Thanks for all the photos and commentary. It was nothing compared to BIRI_ATLACATL at Daytona Super Speedway, for example. 👍

Hit boxes are not accurate in GT6 and car positions are delayed due to Internet latency.

Photo 2 actually shows contact by GTsail against cubsalltheway. Both cars are equally alongside entering the corner and cubsalltheway gives racing room to GTsail on the inside. In the replay, GTsail slides a little off that extremely tight line and bumps cubsalltheway slightly wide. As both cars are at the limit of grip, cubsalltheway ends up bouncing off the barrier at the exit due to being destabilised by GTsail.

Photo 10 shows contact by GTsail to the rear corner of cubsalltheway. Due to this contact it isn't a 100% clean move and GTsail should not have continued it - especially when the race result may be determined by it.

Photo 18 actually shows secondary contact as the cross-over lines are resolved. This denies cubsalltheway their chosen turn-in to the final phase of the sequence. That means the run to the line is also not clean. (Since these corners are inter-connected, corner rights are still with cubsalltheway strictly speaking.)

It isn't "fun" to be nudged wide in the final corner, when the car is scrabbling for grip, by a following car which had no overlap or offset. Especially after being nudged wide at the hairpin in a similar way earlier in the lap.

Photos may show daylight from one perspective but in the replay, the motion of the cars show 2 light bumps at crucial moments which decided the final result by fractions of a second.

Comparison
You could compare it to the space I leave for GTsail when we enter the final complex on Lap 4, around 5:40. I have good overlap but concede the position during the entry as I am aware out lines will cross. I use this cross-over to reposition for a better run down the main straight, instead of trying to force a close pass through the entry phase with a high chance of contact - even if it were only light contact.

As it turns out, GTsail expertly repositions his line to block my cutback. So I hit the brakes and concede, like a gentleman. I don't try a risky move to the outside. That's casual racing for fun, in my book.

The boost and slipstream mean I get an overlap into turn 1 of Lap 5. We drive side by side for the entire first half of the lap! Ultimately my tight line at the hairpin and low gearing let me drive out ahead of GTsail. I keep that edge of the track to protect my slipstream and maintain the place through the chicane. With the room settings, risky moves aren't necessary.

I'm still in front on lap 6. Until I bin it all by myself in the chicane. Only myself to blame for that. :lol:

You will definitely see my in the Barchetta again at 400pp city courses. If you look really hard in the rear view mirror, far into the distance...I'll be there somewhere!

Last edited:
in the matter of city tracks, I favor tokyo over MOnaco. Cote D'azur is kinda a indian line race. no one passes another, unless something major happens. And being pretty tights, makes it easy to get battlescars

Special Stage Route 5 / Reverse is rarely used but has more open corner entries in longer braking zones with late apexes. Safer to get alongside during entry phase. 👍

Special Stage Route 7 has fireworks and turning on driving line gives some braking markers. 1 lap at 400pp might work.

GT Arena is viable at 400pp, too. The stadium is probably in a city. :D

EDIT: Electric and hybrid cars at 400pp in cities?

EDIT2: Sierra took 11:25 for a lap in my 400pp Barchetta. With many off-track moments. Plenty of time to admire the scenery with these regs. It was nice.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back