THE GRAND TOUR! MONDAY EVENINGS! 7:30ET/00:30GMTOpen 

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 259 comments
A quick look at the paint on my passenger side fender and my front bumper indicate that I should have applied more brake instead of using @Lilium for friction. I also should not have tried to kill Daryl by T-boning him. In both cases I stopped until my victim took the place in front of me, but I do need Lilium's insurance adjustor's name.

@Benny44 I had a lot of fun last night. Best races I've ever had on Monza. Great job!

Quite a few scrapes on my cars. Mostly on the back but a few on the front as well, I must be honest!

We aren't pro drivers and as @Benny44 says accidental bumps are expected from slight misjudgements and fatigue. Important thing is to give back any positions gained, wait for anyone who was held up and leave a bigger margin for error next time. 👍

Photo 10 shows contact by GTsail to the rear corner of cubsalltheway. Due to this contact it isn't a 100% clean move and GTsail should not have continued it - especially when the race result may be determined by it.****

Rats!:censored:I'm afraid that @BenMillard is correct, and that my pass was not entirely clean:ill::grumpy: and I'm going to have to give up the first place trophy:( :(:(

I've been having a discussion with Ben about this pass and that the game still shows a gap between two cars even when there has been contact, so even though the pictures I posted above show a 3 inch gap, there still was contact between my car and Cubs car.:guilty:

I think that the contact occurred just when I initially just reached Cubs rear-bumper.

I've snapped a few more pictures right around this spot and its not entirely clear, but I think you can see just a small amount of sideways movement in Cubs car when I make invisible contact with his rear bumper. Sorry!:ill:

1) At the 8:52.480 mark from Ben's car:
32605800906_c533f59adb_k.jpg

2) At the 8:52.480 mark from Cub's car
32605796976_5d7f6513b1_k.jpg

3) At the 8:52.497 mark from my car:
32513959381_cde3afb5e8_k.jpg

4) At the 8:52.497 mark from Ben's car:
31793542934_114be2432d_k.jpg

5) At the 8:52.514 mark from Cub's car:
32523854021_c89c614384_k.jpg

6) At the 8:52.514 mark from Ben's car:
32523865021_9d3491c281_k.jpg

Anyway, its just a lesson to me that I should have given slightly more space when trying to get past.
Maybe next time!:cheers:
GTsail

Last edited:
Its all good @BEllis7979. It happens, and i'm not one to resent such accidents or so. We all had a great, packed race, and the athmosphere was great. that's all that counts for me. a few scars here and there. gave some, got some. accidents happen. and per example, I drove my brera 10 mins befoer joining. that's why on lap 2 I punted @GTsail on the first chicane at 80's monza. Wasn't really sure of my boat's breaking point

@BenMillard SSR 7 would be a better choice imo. people rarely race there, and it feels more nostalgic in my opinion

We'll be doing city tracks and 400pp Japanese. I like both SS routes, is 7 the longer/older one @Lilium? I always get them confused. I'll try and get the track list posted tonight - and I'll take your suggestions and figure out a good order for them. @BenMillard loves GT arena - is there anyone else that does? Because I really really don't like it:lol:.

Next week(Feb13th?) we'll be doing 450pp and - ugly car contest. I'm telling you this now so you can get ideas going. An ugly car coupled with bad paint, a giant wing and strange looking rims. is amusing. Seeing a whole track of them would be hilarious:gtpflag:

both of them are the same age, here since GT1. the 7 is the longer one, yes. and on 400 PP wapanese. its time for key cars!!! goodie gud!
The GT Arena is pretty fun yeah. should be raced more. on lower pp's and low tire grades can be fun. Specially with a huge pack. Or on karts.

As a track sugestions, I would say Madrid short and long. both are extremely rare to be raced on, but are fun city tracks.
autumn ring mini is also good for short, closed action.
London I'm not a huge fan, but is also fun. I just find it hard to make moves on overtaking there. there's just 3 spots where it happens.
back straight. second straight after turn 1, and the 90º corners.
Apricot hill can be fun

Madrid would fall into the city category, but I think autumn Ring mini would be the opposite of city:D. I really enjoy London, but to each their own. And I guess that's another vote for :censored:GT arena. Good thing I choose the tracks!(insert evil laugh here). But honestly, if people like it, I will run it. I don't like the kart racing either, so maybe that has something to do with it. But, and I say this begrudgingly, @BenMillard is probably right - it is most likely in a city.

@BEllis7979 other than Sierra, what is your favorite city track? I'll make sure to run it earlier in the evening so you don't miss it.

And just as a side note to everyone - let's see if we can get some interesting/obscure cars out on the track this Monday, even if it means not being fastest. We usually do a pretty good job of that anyway, but Japan will give us a lot of options. I'll see what I can dig up:gtpflag:

@Benny44, London is actually my favorite city course, and we just raced that. I'd say Tokyo is a lot of fun difficulty wise, but there is no room to change positions. So, London.

I just realized there is a category in GT6 for city courses:lol:. So - Tokyo R246, London, Circuit de Madrid, Cote d'Azur, Curcuito di Roma, SSR5(+clubman) and SSR7. And I can throw in GT arena. I think the key to all this will be preparation of our cars. With London and SSR7 on the same night, gearing will be a big issue.

@Bellis - I don't find Tokyo too bad for overtaking, especially when compared to London. Either way, we'll do both near the start of the evening.

Interestingly, only SSR7 has weather as optional:confused:. I heard they're calling for rain there.....

Special Stage Route 7 is better dry and clear so you can see fireworks at the end of the race. About 6:20 in a Mazda Lantis, white with some green and red like the LM Edition from origins GT. 250km/h no draft. 270km/h long draft entering the downhill tunnel.

Heading East on map, first approach to tunnel, you have a gentle left and right. Then a tighter left - keep in. Immediately into tighter right: steer as soon as you see left barrier change direction. Flat out if you get the line right, with a lane to spare.

Heading West, going back through tunnel, the hard corner is as soon as you exit the tunnel. Move right to use the extra lane and sweep all the way left. The corner is longer than you'd expect. Steer a lot! Next right is OK because you've scrubbed off some speed.

When you see orange street lights above the divider, that's the end of the road! First end is narrow sequence of interchange ramps. Second end is a kink then large omega shape turn.

Tokyo R246 / Forward is great for overtaking with side by side possible through a few places. Not the back chicane and not easily the final stacked freeway bend

Route 5 Clubman / Forward hosted 350pp Quick Match recently.

Route 5 / Reverse races safer than forward. Would add variety over running both versions forward, too.

Madrid / Forward is OK to race at low PP. Brake before 100m turn 1 after first lap is done. Reverse is too dangerous as it's so rarely used and just as badly pinched.

Rome / Forwards was excellent last week at 400pp. 👍

Circuito de la Sierra is about 11 or 12 minutes on the test lap I did with Fiat Barchetta at 400pp on Comfort Soft. 1 lap there, 2 laps Route 7?

EDIT: Motegi Super Speedway is my choice for oval racing at 400pp. It might not be 100% gas the whole way and different lines might be possible.

Last edited:
Yeah, 2 laps route 7 is plenty. And definitely only 1 on Sierra(I think it's point to point anyway). I posted this race on post #2 in this thread. I think instead of warming up on Autumn ring, we'll warm up in London. I was thinking at first of GT arena, but that won't help with gearing whatsoever. Should be a fun night!

So, I think we should do a one lap run around special stage route X. It is sort of a city track, and we could run it right after GT Arena. What are everyone's opinions on that? @Lilium @BenMillard @BEllis7979

I think, in order to do it, we don't even warm up on that track. Just give everyone enough time to get in their chosen ride. That way we won't be able to see how fast each other is. It will all come down to tuning and possibly aerodynamics. I think it would be interesting and a little funny.

Route x is way too big, that it becomes boring. Better motegi super speedway.

Route 7 is pretty good for top speed. Its on highway bridges. The one i wanted previously to mention is route 5 normal, the big one.

@Lilium Route 7 and Motegi Super Speedway instead of Route X is best for 400pp, I agree. 👍

Updated my earlier suggestions for city tracks so it's in one place and formatted more clearly.

@GhostRider65 has lots of tunes for 400pp to 450pp on Comfort tyres, too. There were done with a game controller but the settings don't look extreme. Might be friendly with wheel as well. Join in with us! I want to see the ELEMENT; it was funny at 350pp in Quick Match with my guess tune.

Also worth repeating the 200+ Japanese cars which can tune up or down to 400pp.

I think you're probably right about Route X. Although we're doing it next week with virtually any 400pp car being eligible (up to each person to 'ugly' it up). I think it'll be a laugh to try. Something else we could try is team racing that track to make it interesting. There seems to be 4 regulars, so, for instance @BenMillard and @Lilium could collaborate, while @BEllis7979 and I work together - beforehand of course. It would involve little to no skill on the track, but plenty of preparation and good car choice would be the keys. Drafting each other would also be very important. It'd just be an experiment, but I think an interesting one

Team racing is a nifty Idea. even with more people, is just to "you're on team A; you're on team B"
That's a great idea. I was trying to figure out a way to do it if others showed up. Maybe we'll do a trial run next week on route x then see if we can work out a way to have a night of team racing in the future

Edit - when I say next week, I mean a week from this coming Monday

Last edited:
Last edited:
It was a blast tonight! I made my night more enjoyable and practiced beforehand so I was actually a little bit competitive. I even won a race! It's a miracle!

Anyway, great racing tonight. SSR7 was kind of unique and we had fun trying to line ourselves up to draft. The last race at Super Speedway had 3 wide in the last turn, with cubsalltheway winning it.

Sierra was incredibly fast and fun, with the lead changing hands several times. London was exciting, with cubsalltheway and I battling it out to the finish and the others breathing down our necks if we made a mistake.

Tokyo was actually a really good stop on the tour. Everyone seemed to have fun, although I couldn't see much after Luis and I got into a very big crash, with me sending him spinning around several times. I almost caught up to @BEllis7979 but was just short (boost helped me a lot).

Rome and Madrid were good fun too, and I now realize I forgot SSR5 reverse! But all in all, a great night of racing!

It turned out fantastic, for sure!

A couple of times I crashed out of first place in the final sector. Usually want to brake a bit early as DS3 can lack turn-in. But with another car on my tail both times, didn't want to cause them any issues.

I got hit from behind massively a few times (at Rome in particular) by Luisnieri. This random had some cool historic cars and decent pace most of the time.

London
I set a 1:07 test lap in the Daihatsu Midget II D Type. Very agile but even on this short track, everything accelerates away from it. Even the spectators. :lol:
1: BenMillard in Nissan Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90
A surprise Premium grade car at this PP level! After a guessed, TRL style, seasonal event suspension tune it felt like the GT300 Silvia from GT2. Never drove it before so I won this race with Traction Control: 5! :S

2: Harvey_of_berks in Toyota MR2 Spyder '99
@Harvey51 is this you?

3: cubsalltheway11 in Honda Fit RS '10
An FF premium which had many good results over the evening.

4: @Benny44 in his beloved Honda CR-X SiR '90
5: Luisneri found an even slower car than the Midget, the Honda S600 '64!

Circuito de la Sierra
5: Nissan Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90 (oops I should have changed car...didn't make up my mind in time as I have 20+ cars tuned to 400pp on CS now!)

London
Grid was reverse from previous race result and in this format I fully agree with that.

Honda Life Step Van has so much turbo whine when tuned up to 400pp it sounds like the original Gran Turismo! 10,000rpm dentist drill. Another agile car, with a bit more power (110bhp) but not really competitive.
1: Bic44 (Benny44) in Honda CR-X SiR '90
2: cubsalltheway in Honda Fit RS '10
3: Harvey in Nissan Fairlady 2000 (SR311) '68
4: Luisneri in Nissan Fairlady 2000 (SR311) '68
5: @BEllis7979 in Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02 - very fast at 350pp Quick Match in some hands!
6: BenMillard in Honda Life Step Van '72 - somebody told me to get a life...

Tokyo R246
Best test lap was a 2:14 before my original Gran Turismo inspired CR-X del sol sent shockwaves through the city with a 2:08.385! It could drive away from everyone even in the race, seems to be massively over-performant at this fixed pp. Even in the lead, driving against the anti-boost, I set a 2:14 then 2:12 then 2:11 in the last 3 laps out of 4. It's about 200kg lighter than most of my cars around 190bhp; it's about 1050kg with 50% rear ballast I think so I highly recommend it.
1: BenMillard in Honda CR-X del sol SiR '92
2: Harvey in Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '99 - early 1990s FTO is pure GT nostalgia and more room to tune up to 400pp.
3: cubsalltheway11 in Honda Fit RS '10
4: Bellis in Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
5: Bic44 in ZZ-S '00 - a car with amazing rotation but an eventful race for Bic.
6: Luisnieri in Toyota 2000GT '67 - a car I raced in a GT Planet series, putting about 3000km on it!

Special Stage Route 5 Clubman
Had good fun in the 350pp quick match using a Honda Insight '99, the light sporty one not the sharp bulky 2009 model. Added power and reduced weight to unlock a wild streak in this eco city car! Test laps of 1:07.7 then 1:06.4 then 1:05.7 was a second (or two!) faster than anything else. Epic vehicle, chosen on a whim. ZZ-S should have been good here and MR2 as well.
1: cubsalltheway11 in Honda Fit RS '10 - against the form book, this proved fit for purpose.
2: BenMillard in Honda Insight '99 - just 0.078s behind!
3: Harvey in Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07 - I think this is a premium model?
4: bic44 in 110S (L10B) '68 - this can be a 'ringer' but needs an extreme setup and can be a handful.
5: Luisnieri in Carol 360 Deluxe '62 - no power in these micro cars but at least he could relax as it was the 'deluxe' model.

Rome
Decided to try out my own ZZ-S and it was mega! Test lap was 2-3 seconds faster than anything else before we started going 1:28.8 then 1:27.3 then 1:26.9 without drama. :shock: At the last moment benny switched to his ZZ-S as well and we were the pace of the field.
1: cubsalltheway11 in Fit RS '10 - who would think a small hatchback would be so good around town?
2: Harvey in Datsun 240ZG (HS30) '71
3: Luisnieri in Toyota 2000GT '67
4: bic44 in TommyKairia ZZ-S '00 - caught up in my final chicane braking dillemma and subsequent ghosting fail.
5: BenMillard in TommyKaira ZZ-S '00 - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Like a boss.

GT Arena (yay!)
33.3, 31.4, 31.2. No those aren't sector times, they are full lap times around this stadium micro circuit! Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac '01 has Active Yaw Control like the Lancer Evo and with my Autumn Ring Mini tune, it's like alien technology around these agility tracks.
1: cubsalltheway11 in Honda S2000 '06 - a widely known 'ringer' at fixed performance points, showing its form here.
2: Harvey in Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07
3: BenMillard in some kind of quantum effect traction prototype, just 0.3s behind Harvey after I stopped for 20 seconds or so on lap 3 of 8 to make things interesting.

Special Stage Route 7
Wanted to use my Renault Espace F1 lookalike (Honda Odyssey with custom wheels, wedge top wing in bright yellow) but it has the aero of a brick. Would not get above 215km/h even with 220bhp! Instead went back to the car I did a couple of sighting laps with earlier in the week, another GT1 inspired choice: Mazda Lantis Coupe 2000 Type R '93. In white with green ring and red wheels, to channel the spirit of Mazda 323F LM Edition.
1: BenMillard in Mazda Lantis Coupe 2000 Type R '93 - by just 0.059 seconds!
2: Bic44 in Honda Dome Zero '78 - alien spaceship sighted. The truth is out there.
3: Harvey in Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) '83 - maxxed out his top speed.
4: cubsalltheway11 in Honda Fit RS '10 - also maxxed out top speed and maybe crashed? City car didn't far so well on the motorway!

Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway
It was a Honda S2000 party! It's a premium and I'd never driven it tuned before but had one from a WRS standard setup event.
1: cubsalltheway11 in Honda S2000 '06 - perfect cutback let the cub outfox both the Bens in the final turn!
2: BenMillard in Honda S2000 '06
3: Benny44 in Honda Dome Zero '78
4: Harvey in Honda S2000 '06

cubs and I did one more race at Grand Valley East Section. He slid wide in the final turn of lap 4 and I snuck through for the win. Handbrake turn across the line. Like a boss. He did the same to celebrate 2nd place and the end of a great evening. Except it was an 8 lap race. :lol: This race was cancelled for safety reasons - all the marshals were rolling around laughing at us.

@Lilium congrats on your new cat!👍 My wife and I have two, they're good company(unless they're misbehaving).

@BenMillard thanks for the detailed recap! I always enjoy reading them. I felt much better this week after practicing beforehand. It's nice to be able to compete with everyone. @BEllis7979 looked much faster this week too, but it seemed like every race he had a mishap of some sort, either from someone else or gearing or something like that. There were only, to my memory, maybe 3 races where people were left way behind. So good tight races.

Tokyo was a fun race for me, I practiced that well after @BenMillard and I did, and hit a 2:09.3 in online practice. Not quite Mr.Millard's time, but maybe enough to give him a run. My boost filled last lap there I was 2:04.xx. It really shows what boost can do! Luis, a random drop in, was coming around the back mini chicane(the one you can almost go flat out through). He slowed down a bit more than I did and grazed the wall. I was going over 100mph coming out of the corner( I think) and he was doing, to my best guess, about 50. Needless to say, it didn't end well. Not his fault, and I may have been a bit reckless with my speed with other racers on track. Oh well, these things happen:lol:.

I had an absolute blast on Super Speedway - it was back and forth with cubs and Ben all race. I thought for sure I lost it on the last turn - didn't look like much on replay, but it sure felt like it! We were 3 wide at that point, and I was just trying to not crash the other two!
:gtpflag:
Remember - next week is ugliest cars week at 400pp. So paint them, put wings on them (an unmatching wing is a sure way to make a car ugly!), rims, whatever you need to do. We'll definitely get down to just racing once things get going, but save those replays and maybe we can see lots of photos on here!:lol: I have a car that may just make your eyes hurt.....

aw dang, i though Wapanese cars were this new week. shame I missed it.
But I'll come around with a hyunday tiburon. that car has a hideous face.

Back