The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,619 comments
I misread that as Milk Assassination and got very confused.

I wasn't even thinking of Harvey Milk, I was literally wondering about an attack on literal milk.
Well Santa drinks milk, and we all know there's a war on Christmas!

ITu3lom.jpg

"It's a bible."

Notice how he holds it away from his body at all times. It's the way someone who doesn't like babies holds a baby.

"It's a bible."

But it's not "his" bible.

Maybe he lost it. And people don't return things like they used to, you know.

For several years after WTO '99 I studied the primitive anarchist movement headquartered in Eugene, Oregon. I read stacks of their literature, including the works of John Zerzan and the Unibomber Manifesto. I dwelled for a time in Eugene. Finally I came to the conclusion I wanted nothing to do with them. But along the way I learned they are quite serious and have some interesting and serious ideas worth understanding.

The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big, yellow ones.

There's an easy fix... "black lives matter too". But for some reason that fix isn't forthcoming.
Sure. And then people wouldn't wonder why there's graffiti for the Bureau of Land Management on buildings in major and minor cities throughout the the country. Though, the cynic in me suspects such a fix would fall on deaf ears, with an indeterminate number of those critical of the syntax actually being critical of the change that people are attempting to affect. Maybe "Black Lives Matter Equally", as has been asserted for going on seven decades now, but then critics seeing "BLME" get to suggest protesters are directly, if ambiguously, assigning blame. If we're doing four-letter acronyms, maybe change it to "OBLM" and watch those same people absolutely lose it.

I don't particularly care that it's "Black Lives Matter"; not one way or the other. I'm thinking if an effort to correct social injustices felt disproportionately by one particular group--not through reparations but through actual changes in the system--is genuinely undertaken, maybe those changes will be felt by all groups. But then I'm a dreamer.

Sure. And then people wouldn't wonder why there's graffiti for the Bureau of Land Management on buildings in major and minor cities throughout the the country. Though, the cynic in me suspects such a fix would fall on deaf ears, with an indeterminate number of those critical of the syntax actually being critical of the change that people are attempting to affect. Maybe "Black Lives Matter Equally", as has been asserted for going on seven decades now, but then critics seeing "BLME" get to suggest protesters are directly, if ambiguously, assigning blame. If we're doing four-letter acronyms, maybe change it to "OBLM" and watch those same people absolutely lose it.

I don't particularly care that it's "Black Lives Matter"; not one way or the other. I'm thinking if an effort to correct social injustices felt disproportionately by one particular group--not through reparations but through actual changes in the system--is genuinely undertaken, maybe those changes will be felt by all groups. But then I'm a dreamer.

I wish it weren't called BLM. It would be better understood, and would not divide and lead to marginalization the way it has. It's gaining a big upswing right now, with people accepting the premise that it should not be interpreted to mean that any other lives don't matter.

The funny thing about this is that the assertion, to someone who doesn't think it needs to be stated, is going to sound like it's saying more because they don't think it needs to be stated. You don't go around just pointing obvious stuff out. "The street is on the ground". "The sun is bright". "Dave Matthews Band sucks!" These things are just known to be unimpeachably correct. The only reason why you'd start stating the obvious is if it meant something non-obvious. BLM (the name) is the equivalent of this:

free.png

Likewise, for people who don't automatically assume that black lives matter (racists I mean), they'll use it to mean black supremacy because it fits their narrative. Either way the name is bad for winning people over. What it's designed to do, and is successful at doing, is motivating people who are already believers.

I wish it weren't called BLM. It would be better understood, and would not divide and lead to marginalization the way it has. It's gaining a big upswing right now, with people accepting the premise that it should not be interpreted to mean that any other lives don't matter.

The funny thing about this is that the assertion, to someone who doesn't think it needs to be stated, is going to sound like it's saying more because they don't think it needs to be stated. You don't go around just pointing obvious stuff out. "The street is on the ground". "The sun is bright". "Dave Matthews Band sucks!" These things are just known to be unimpeachably correct. The only reason why you'd start stating the obvious is if it meant something non-obvious. BLM (the name) is the equivalent of this:

free.png

Likewise, for people who don't automatically assume that black lives matter (racists I mean), they'll use it to mean black supremacy because it fits their narrative. Either way the name is bad for winning people over. What it's designed to do, and is successful at doing, is motivating people who are already believers.
I get what you're saying, and I appreciate it.

I also get you and appreciate you. At least I think I get you, and I appreciate what I think I get. I don't always agree with you, but I respect you (even at times that I'm sorry to say it doesn't show), and I respect that I have never gotten the impression that you've thrown a dart blindly and stuck with where it landed. You arrive where you arrive through careful reason.

ILYM

I've always wished it was called Black Lives Matter Too too so we wouldn't need memes like this. It's been a hashtag for some time now as I understand it. The current name just plays into the hands of the Black Lives Don't Matter crowd.

FB_IMG_1591660804213.jpg

Last edited:

I must admit, I didn't get Kaepernick's protest at first. Initially I didn't think he was genuine. Then I thought, that's so disrespectful to the flag. But then it dawned at me that maybe Americans are more important than the American flag. I get that the flag is attractive and its character relatively unimpeachable, unlike actual squishy warm-blooded American people, but I'm pretty sure we should hold the people of the country in a higher regard than the flag symbolizing it. Some reverence for old glory borders on idolatry...which could be ironic all things considered, depending on how much reserve capacity you have for dissonance.

I must admit, I didn't get Kaepernick's protest at first. Initially I didn't think he was genuine. Then I thought, that's so disrespectful to the flag. But then it dawned at me that maybe Americans are more important than the American flag. I get that the flag is attractive and its character relatively unimpeachable, unlike actual squishy warm-blooded American people, but I'm pretty sure we should hold the people of the country in a higher regard than the flag symbolizing it. Some reverence for old glory borders on idolatry...which could be ironic all things considered, depending on how much reserve capacity you have for dissonance.
It is the American flag, It represents all Americans. That includes new American citizen immigrants. It represents freedom, that is why we suppot it.

It is the American flag, It represents all Americans. That includes new American citizen immigrants. It represents freedom, that is why we suppot it.

I understand the concept. Really, I do. I love the US flag. It doesn't belong to conservatives. Is the flag worth more than one George Floyd?

I understand the concept. Really, I do. I love the US flag. It doesn't belong to conservatives. Is the flag worth more than one George Floyd?
Really? That guy was killed by a guy who is now facing years in prison. What does that have to do with the Flag?

Jeff Bezos may mistreat his poorly paid staff but that's not what Dave was complaining about. I don't think it prohibits Jeff from being able to call Dave out.

Screenshot_20200609-130451_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back