The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,619 comments
i7fofecfco351.jpg

It's not really surprising, I think this was Friday. It was 105. But I respect the hell out of him for doing this.

Really? Defunding police doesn't remove the powers of arrest that we/they have, does it? I think the defund movement seems more about rebuilding police departments/forces/divisions from the ground up to remove the whole militaristic them-and-us mentality that some seem to have developed. That isn't all police of course, not by a very long way, but if commanders have that mentality it soon seeps through the whole structure.

Really? Defunding police doesn't remove the powers of arrest that we/they have, does it? I think the defund movement seems more about rebuilding police departments/forces/divisions from the ground up to remove the whole militaristic them-and-us mentality that some seem to have developed. That isn't all police of course, not by a very long way, but if commanders have that mentality it soon seeps through the whole structure.

Minneapolis City Council President Lisa Bender: "I am willing to stand for a police-free future"

What does that mean to you?

I must admit, I didn't get Kaepernick's protest at first. Initially I didn't think he was genuine. Then I thought, that's so disrespectful to the flag. But then it dawned at me that maybe Americans are more important than the American flag. I get that the flag is attractive and its character relatively unimpeachable, unlike actual squishy warm-blooded American people, but I'm pretty sure we should hold the people of the country in a higher regard than the flag symbolizing it. Some reverence for old glory borders on idolatry...which could be ironic all things considered, depending on how much reserve capacity you have for dissonance.
Y'know...I never saw it as disrespectful. What Kaepernick did didn't call attention to itself beyond him doing something different from what everyone else was doing. In taking a knee before it, he acknowledged the flag, respected the flag, but was saying, in essence, that he couldn't keep doing the same thing over and over and over while nothing changes.

Also, I found out just today that the act of taking a knee before the flag during the anthem was recommended to Kaepernick by a veteran--a former Green Beret--and an advocate for veterans, Nate Boyer.

How can it be anything other than respectful?

People who got pissy over his action don't understand that the flag stands for the conviction of Americans to take a knee before it, as unpopular as it may be to do so. People who got pissy are every bit the caricature of a patriotic American as those who drape the flag over their child as it drags on the ground or those who allow the flag to be torn from the bed of their truck and end up in the dirt on the side of the road.

I understand the concept. Really, I do. I love the US flag. It doesn't belong to conservatives. Is the flag worth more than one George Floyd?
****. No.

Not one George Floyd, not one Breonna Taylor and not one Tony Timpa. Not any of a list of names that is way too ****ing long.

As long as the flag flies over people unjustly killed by those sworn to protect them, it's absolutely worthless. I say that as someone who loves his country but not everything about his country and someone who loves the flag but not everything that happens beneath it.

Last edited:
Perhaps she should be hiding in a bunker instead.
Well that's a laugh. By now, Trump's policies that have kneecapped even legal immigration should surely illustrate the contempt he has for her; he wouldn't have her down there with him even to clutch at her copper ****.

I'm astonished Republicans haven't had her off of there already.

Perhaps if somebody had caught James Earl Ray preparing to assassinate Dr. King on a smartphone for worldwide dissemination and if population levels in 1968 approached those of today the impact might have been comparable. Especially if Ray were a security guard charged with safeguarding King's wellbeing.

Last edited:
The odds of something stupid coming out when Joe Biden opens his mouth are high, no doubt, but it's like right-rwing outlets are trying extra double hard to make this be awful when it simply is not.

Last edited:
The odds of something stupid coming out when Joe Biden opens his mouth are high, no doubt, but it's like right-ring outlets are trying extra double hard to make this be awful when it simply is not.
When your own candidate has few or no credible selling points left it's probably more effective to go into attack mode on your opponent. Speaking of attack mode, btw... is there a middle-ring as well as a left- and right-ring? Maybe it's a three-ring circus.

Look, I know I whined about being the target of a typo police attack last month but I'mma promise to only go after those who point out errors in others' posts themselves. I fully realise that makes me even more of a legitimate target myself now so I'll be combing my posts for mistypes in order to try and avoid the consequences of Hartman's law of prescriptivist retaliation.

Look, I know I whined about being the target of a typo police attack last month but I'mma promise to only go after those who point out errors in others' posts themselves. I fully realise that makes me even more of a legitimate target myself now so I'll be combing my posts for mistypes in order to try and avoid the consequences of Hartman's law of prescriptivist retaliation.
Typos are fun when they make actual words that, even if strained, work in the context of the intended word. It's not particularly fun to simply point out typos because they are typos, and I tend to not do so.

When you got me with my "fowl words" the other day, I actually laughed aloud. But then that wasn't so much a typo as it was a brain-not-functioning-properly moment.

ELC2QqjXkAEmky8.jpg

What if the bus does a U-ey and heads off in the opposite direction and it's too late to get off because the driver's locked the doors for another four years?

What if the bus is on fire and hurtling towards an oil refinery with lots of bigoted graffiti on the side?

...I never knew Trump and metal could go so well together. "Make America Metal Again!" Indeed.

NSFW warning:

It was a toss up between this and "Enter Sandman", but ultimately, I thought this one was slightly funnier.

Back