The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,619 comments
I wonder how many of the ones cheering are also the sort that drive through their rearview mirror whenever a cop is behind them.

That's one thing I don't get about the people that seemingly cheer on the police blindly, in my experience at least quite a few are pretty close to meth-head levels of paranoid. Seems they like it when cops meddle in people's business, just as long as it's not their business.

I always find it funny the same people that hero-worship cops are the same people who say they need a gun to protect themselves because waiting for a cop to come and save you takes too long. I'd rather just have my 9mm at the ready to protect myself and my family, while continuing to think cops are revenue-generating, racist, slimeballs.

0CRdNeV.jpg

I'm not a Trumpite, but surely it's obvious how weak all these "I find it funny how Trump supporters who X, always seem to to Y" arguments come across, right?

There are literally three on just this page. I'm sure when people write them it feels like they are cleverly pointing out a hypocrisy, but it just comes across completely false and anecdotal.

You would have thought with how much of a walking trash pile the president is, you wouldn't have to jump to logical fallacies every time you criticise him.

It's exactly this kind of stuff that strengthens the "us Vs them" mentality that makes so much political discourse impossible right now.

I find it funny how some people who say they don't support Trump want to blame anything other than the divisive environment he's created with his tweets and public speeches for the poor state of political discourse and try and pin it on a few randoms on an internet forum instead.

Last edited:
I find it funny how some people who say they don't support Trump want to blame anything other than the divisive environment he's created with his tweets and public speeches for the poor state of political discourse and try and pin it on a few randoms on an internet forum instead.
Political discourse has been poor for a few years before Trump.

It's a sad pattern where people refuse to even attempt to see eye to eye, once the initial statement of "I'm conservative" or "I'm liberal" is made.

People seem content to imagine there are only two types of people when it comes to politics - the liberal and the conservative. They're unwilling to concede that these are groups of millions of people, with a diverse spectrum of beliefs and reasoning behind their politics.

Trump isn't responsible for this, he is just uniquely positioned to take advantage of it and has done so. Trump is a symptom of this mess, not the cause.

In my opinion, people need to take a good hard look at their willingness to dehumanise each other over politics. If we employed a little compassion and put some work into being fair and objective when hearing people out, people on either side would understand each other better.

As it stands we seem to want blood in the streets over everything. I'm in this tribe and we are RIGHT about EVERYTHING, and ALL the people in that other tribe exclusively believe the exact opposite, all as one amorphous transcendent entity of hate and bigotry!

It's stupid, and it pisses me off. Liberal Trump critics don't need to fact check or make sense, because they will be parroted and supported by those in their tribe, even if (as is quite likely) those people don't share all the same viewpoints as them, politically or otherwise. It's the same on the other side.

I'd appreciate if you called me out directly next time you want to discuss something I've said, instead of making a sideways "some people" jab without quoting me. It's obvious who you're talking about and I'm open to being debated on this.

TL;DR - I am far more tired of people's conduct around politics, than people's politics in and of itself.

I'd appreciate if you called me out directly next time you want to discuss something I've said, instead of making a sideways "some people" jab without quoting me. It's obvious who you're talking about and I'm open to being debated on this.
You didn't call out the people you were criticising so I thought I'd follow suit.

making a sideways "some people" jab without quoting me.
I'm sure when people write them it feels like they are cleverly pointing out a hypocrisy, but it just comes across completely false and anecdotal.

You didn't call out the people you were criticising so I thought I'd follow suit.
I wonder how many of the ones cheering are also the sort that drive through their rearview mirror whenever a cop is behind them.

That's one thing I don't get about the people that seemingly cheer on the police blindly, in my experience at least quite a few are pretty close to meth-head levels of paranoid. Seems they like it when cops meddle in people's business, just as long as it's not their business.

I always find it funny the same people that hero-worship cops are the same people who say they need a gun to protect themselves because waiting for a cop to come and save you takes too long. I'd rather just have my 9mm at the ready to protect myself and my family, while continuing to think cops are revenue-generating, racist, slimeballs.

Better? Anything to discuss beyond forum etiquette, such as the actual point at hand?

Better? Anything to discuss beyond forum etiquette, such as the actual point at hand?
I'm sure it's not nice to be caught doing something one accuses other people of doing, but I think I already made the point I wanted to. I feel your criticisms are overblown, but if the other people in your crosshairs want to add anything further they're more than welcome. Sorry if you find that dehumanising.

I'm sure it's not nice to be caught doing something one accuses other people of doing, but I think I already made the point I wanted to. I feel your criticisms are overblown, but if the other people in your crosshairs want to add anything further they're more than welcome. Sorry if you find that dehumanising.
I think feeling "dehumanised" would be a step too far, considering all you did was take issue with some words I wrote.

Just for the record though, I have an issue with the false equivalencies, not with people not quoting each other. I just felt it odd that you were clearly addressing my one post, but chose not to quote me.

I won't lose any sleep over it, and you're not required to do what I ask. For what it's worth, I tend to forget multi-quote is there.

I'm not a Trumpite, but surely it's obvious how weak all these "I find it funny how Trump supporters who X, always seem to to Y" arguments come across, right?

Are they weak?

Granted there's plenty of hypocrisy coming from every political angle, but Trump supporters (and Republicans in general it seems) have a special brand of it that is truly baffling.

Take the current issue for example, there seems to be plenty of support for the police... just as long as it's someone else getting beat up on. Once the police turn in their direction they're usually not supportive anymore and they suddenly take a stance not to dissimilar to the BLM protesters.

Are they weak?

Granted there's plenty of hypocrisy coming from every political angle, but Trump supporters (and Republicans in general it seems) have a special brand of it that is truly baffling.

Take the current issue for example, there seems to be plenty of support for the police... just as long as it's someone else getting beat up on. Once the police turn in their direction they're usually not supportive anymore and they suddenly take a stance not to dissimilar to the BLM protesters.
They are false equivalencies, so they are easily brushed off. By grouping everyone who voted one way into one group, sharing ALL the possible traits of someone who might have voted that way, one ignores the right to individual opinion that lead them to that vote in the first place.

Put ten Trump voters in a room, and ask them why, you will get several reasons. These kind of false equivalencies mash all those different people into one hypothetical "trump voter prime" that doesn't exist, it's just a convenient imaginary ultra bigot for people to blame their problems on.

This absolutely cuts both ways, both sides do it, and it's tiring as hell. People are far more interested in garnering the approval of their political peers, who they can already be assured hold them in high regard for being on the right team.

This annoys me particularly as a Brexit voter who comes out close to Gandhi on political compasses. I know why I voted that way - I'm critical of and don't trust a huge inefficient bureaucratic superstate, but I know I'm not racist, I'm not imperialist, I don't yearn for the good old days, I don't hate Europeans or the working class, but I've been accused of all those things because some people who voted the same way I did, do believe those things, and even if I've never met them or paid attention to a word they've said, I'm lumped in with them because of how I voted.

It blocks the door to all discussion, when by telling someone I voted Brexit, they leap to all those assumptions without being prepared to hear out my reasoning. The idea that I'm a reasonable person has already exited their mind. They aren't going to learn anything from me.

Sometimes I feel people are scared that when discussing with someone who disagrees with them, they might hear something they don't like, or something that makes them think. It's easier to stay in the Twitter bubble with all the people you KNOW agree with you on EVERYTHING because, hey, we all voted for donkey team.

So yes, it's weak, and it's problematic for political discourse, when people write off whole swathes of the population as EVERYTHING they don't like about their politics.

They are false equivalencies, so they are easily brushed off. By grouping everyone who voted one way into one group, sharing ALL the possible traits of someone who might have voted that way, one ignores the right to individual opinion that lead them to that vote in the first place.

Put ten Trump voters in a room, and ask them why, you will get several reasons. These kind of false equivalencies mash all those different people into one hypothetical "trump voter prime" that doesn't exist, it's just a convenient imaginary ultra bigot for people to blame their problems on.

This absolutely cuts both ways, both sides do it, and it's tiring as hell. People are far more interested in garnering the approval of their political peers, who they can already be assured hold them in high regard for being on the right team.

This annoys me particularly as a Brexit voter who comes out close to Gandhi on political compasses. I know why I voted that way - I'm critical of and don't trust a huge inefficient bureaucratic superstate, but I know I'm not racist, I'm not imperialist, I don't yearn for the good old days, I don't hate Europeans or the working class, but I've been accused of all those things because some people who voted the same way I did, do believe those things, and even if I've never met them or paid attention to a word they've said, I'm lumped in with them because of how I voted.

It blocks the door to all discussion, when by telling someone I voted Brexit, they leap to all those assumptions without being prepared to hear out my reasoning. The idea that I'm a reasonable person has already exited their mind. They aren't going to learn anything from me.

Sometimes I feel people are scared that when discussing with someone who disagrees with them, they might hear something they don't like, or something that makes them think. It's easier to stay in the Twitter bubble with all the people you KNOW agree with you on EVERYTHING because, hey, we all voted for donkey team.

So yes, it's weak, and it's problematic for political discourse, when people write off whole swathes of the population as EVERYTHING they don't like about their politics.

So... 2020 then.

There are literally three on just this page. I'm sure when people write them it feels like they are cleverly pointing out a hypocrisy, but it just comes across completely false and anecdotal.

You can take them however you wish, but it's not exactly a secret that Republicans love guns, the Second Amendment, and arguing that they need guns to protect themselves and their families. It's also not exactly a secret that Trump-Republicans are vastly pro-police and will argue that we need to increase police funding, not decrease it.

Politics is like talking about religion. It's a touchy subject and at the end of the discussion no progress will be made. It probably also explains why most people only think there are two choices: Democrat or Republican.

I think he felt he didn't want to/need to work with democrats and expected to get his shot before the senate. Shouldn't have counted on the republicans. I'm sure if he knew the republicans would blacklist him that he'd have done it in the house. Really let the country down.

Latest Posts

Back