The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
For all it's worth, my fan that I got as a replacement just got the same issue tonight. I wonder if these fans were made by Delta Electronics... which aren't the best in the world in my opinion.

I am going to have a nice look around and maybe replace mine myself. And for your information this is already the replacement fan from Thrustmaster acting up. :ouch:

Bought my wheel about 4 to 5 months ago I reckon.

Wel, I'll give TM a call tomorrow. Just hope it's possible to get a replacement at the store, it'd really suck if I'd have to wait some weeks for a replacement.

@Mr. S
Your fan may be acting up a bit. I would not worry though. Contact TM via email and have them send you a new fan. Use the one you have till it craps out. May be never. But you will have a replacement if it does.
Just a thought, it's what I did. I have yet the need to swap them out. I have a V1 and it is running like new.

Mr. S
Wel, I'll give TM a call tomorrow. Just hope it's possible to get a replacement at the store, it'd really suck if I'd have to wait some weeks for a replacement.

I got my replacement fan within 5 working days. ;)

I got my replacement fan within 5 working days. ;)

@Mr. S
Your fan may be acting up a bit. I would not worry though. Contact TM via email and have them send you a new fan. Use the one you have till it craps out. May be never. But you will have a replacement if it does.
Just a thought, it's what I did. I have yet the need to swap them out. I have a V1 and it is running like new.

Oh, so it's not necessary to replace the whole thing? That's great to hear, cheers guys. On a side-note and since I didn't get a reply in the F1CE thread in ages: does the T500RS work with F1CE? I mean, properly. :D

I'm thinking about upgrading from a G25 to a T500RS

I play GT5 almost daily so durability is a concern and these last few pages are worrying me a bit. Also the thread of the guy with the broken gas paddle is not helping.

I've been using the G25 for 1,5 - 2 years with out any problems. I added a fan on top of it to cool it. and did the resistance mod on the shifter.

Would you guys advice me to go for the T500RS or stay true to my trusty G25?

I went from a G25 to T500 RS. I do not use the T500 pedals, so I can't comment on them. I got this adapter so I can still use the G25 shifter.

However, the wheel itself is like night and day. I loved my G25 (I had it for 5 years) but this T500 is amazing. It is SO accurate and (esp. in rF2) the FFB is awesome.

T500 RS + CSP + G25 Shifter= great combo

Mr. S
Oh, so it's not necessary to replace the whole thing? That's great to hear, cheers guys. On a side-note and since I didn't get a reply in the F1CE thread in ages: does the T500RS work with F1CE? I mean, properly. :D

Old game so I don't think it does since the T500 SDK for the game developers wasn't available at that time. I haven't got a copy of it unfortunately so can't check.

The thing send to you is the black top part (above the grey with Thrustmaster embedded) with fan attached. They include a step by step guide in you own language even.
Also mine was send from Paris. Looking at your flag under you name that must be closer to your home then mine. :P

I just played some CARS build 135 and it's awesome. Getting better then RF2 for sure. I can feel the Stigg his influence after last week.

I went from a G25 to T500 RS. I do not use the T500 pedals, so I can't comment on them. I got this adapter so I can still use the G25 shifter.

However, the wheel itself is like night and day. I loved my G25 (I had it for 5 years) but this T500 is amazing. It is SO accurate and (esp. in rF2) the FFB is awesome.

T500 RS + CSP + G25 Shifter= great combo

Thanks,

I was planning on getting the TH8r shifter with it.
So I don't think I'll be spending an other €200,- on the CS pedals.

I had a hard time explaining to my girlfriend why I need to buy the T500RS while my G25 is still working fine allready :D
So the wheel and FFB is brilliant, now if anybody can comment on the pedals I'm set.

Edit:
A lot of you guys have trouble with overheating and FFB fading with PC sim racers.
I only play GT5 should this be a concirn for me as weel?
Or is the FFB from GT5 less so it should be allright?

Last edited:
The thing send to you is the black top part (above the grey with Thrustmaster embedded) with fan attached. They include a step by step guide in you own language even.
Also mine was send from Paris. Looking at your flag under you name that must be closer to your home then mine. :P

Well...home...:P

Gave them a call today but the e-mail they wanted to send me (regarding details, a recording of the sounds etc.) didn't arrive by now. Calling them again. :grumpy:

€dit: what the..."said e-mail is still being processed as we speak" - seriously? How long can it take to send a template to a customer?

I explained that I didn't have the means to record a video. They sent the fan anyways.
Thought my fan might not be running bad enough to warrant a replacement.

I guess Thrustmaster in the Netherlands was much more easy going. I never had to give details or sound recordings.

I just realized why these little fans crap out so easily though. Since the axles are thinner in smaller fans, due to the vibration of the wheel the axle might have a much harder time and can bend more easily due to this stress. Bending causing unbalance and thus an annoying vibrating noise with lower max rpm as a result.

Remove the screw from the bottom side of the hub, then turn the hub clockwise. Then gently pull on the wheel and it'll be loose.

Like so...

LogiForce
Remove the screw from the bottom side of the hub, then turn the hub clockwise. Then gently pull on the wheel and it'll be loose.

Like so...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7cKX6F1ah0">YouTube Link</a>

Thanks

Will check it out when I get home :)

Just saw this at virtualr.net (new CARS update for Team member+):

Build 135 (20/1/12, Team Member+)

FFB updates. New spring code, revised rumble strip effects, effects can now be modified by F1 menu.
Expose opponent type selection to GUI.
T500RS wheel spring forces enabled and functional (may require some tuning)
Ariel Atom: All suspension animations finished
Reduced motion blur a little.
Caterham: New liveries added
New physics on Racer cars based on the new tyre direction. Dropped main grip / increased sliding grip. Also even out front and rear base grips and staggered the load sensitivites. Misc chassis balance changes to suit.
Darkened race groove a little.
New export of California Raceway

Good to see them putting lots of effort into the T500rs. Too bad I'm just a junior member (so have to wait a few more weeks). One of these days I should upgrade to Team member. problem is I just dont have much spare time to play with it. But looking like its rolling in the right direction

Update on the fan issue: new fan is being dispatched shortly. So I guess it's kind of an everyday issue...which is kinda sad.

Good to see them putting lots of effort into the T500rs.

They instituted the FFB for the T500 because I complained about it a few times. :D I am a Team member and it was almost impossible to keep the Gumpert in a straight line. The new FFB for the T500 is a start but more work is needed.

I put CARS away for the time being and I am concentrating on iRacing. I am starting to sense a more arcade feel to CARS in the last few builds and I hope I am wrong. There is still a year of developement to go so who knows how it will turn out.

i replaced my fan today.
i am using the Sunon 60x60x20mm KDE1206PKV2 MagLev Vapo Bearing.
i had to buy the 3-Pin to 2-Pin Small Adapter Fan Power Cable as well.
this fan is just as loud but it runs stronger, spins faster, and cleaner. the fan that came with the wheel made a buzzing sound after a few hours. the new fan makes no buzzing sound.
Compared to the old fan, the new fan has less blades but the blades are much bigger. The thickness of the old fan is also smaller. I had to use electrical tap to stick the new fan on because the thickness. But it works just as good. I feel more confident now that I replaced the fan. But if anyone knows more about Sunon fans, please let me know.

i replaced my fan today.
i am using the Sunon 60x60x20mm KDE1206PKV2 MagLev Vapo Bearing.
i had to buy the 3-Pin to 2-Pin Small Adapter Fan Power Cable as well.
this fan is just as loud but it runs stronger, spins faster, and cleaner. the fan that came with the wheel made a buzzing sound after a few hours. the new fan makes no buzzing sound.
Compared to the old fan, the new fan has less blades but the blades are much bigger. The thickness of the old fan is also smaller. I had to use electrical tap to stick the new fan on because the thickness. But it works just as good. I feel more confident now that I replaced the fan. But if anyone knows more about Sunon fans, please let me know.

What were the original fan's measurements then? Haven't looked yet. Was it as thin as 15mm?

Last edited:
Anybody else had to send there T500 back to France?

As soon as I get a suitable box mines going for repair, not sure what kind of turn around I should be looking at tho

Anybody else had to send there T500 back to France?

As soon as I get a suitable box mines going for repair, not sure what kind of turn around I should be looking at tho

Wouldn't the box it came in be sufficient? Just think about some stuff to bolster it on the inside. The French postal service isn't exactly known for their quality of service.

What were the original fan's measurements then? Haven't looked yet. Was it as thin as 15mm?

The original fan is only 60x60x10mm. So 60x60x20mm is the max you can go. The new fan is just about to touch the motor's cooling fans. I haven't put the wheel completely together so when I do I'll try to take some pictures.

Mr. S
Wouldn't the box it came in be sufficient? Just think about some stuff to bolster it on the inside. The French postal service isn't exactly known for their quality of service.

Possibly,

I don't have the brown box it came in, only the actual T500 box and I don't wanna send that as it's in mint condition (don't wanna ruin in case I decide to sell in the future)

I only have to send the base unit minus the wheel so I only need a fairly small one.

Possibly,

I don't have the brown box it came in, only the actual T500 box and I don't wanna send that as it's in mint condition (don't wanna ruin in case I decide to sell in the future)

I only have to send the base unit minus the wheel so I only need a fairly small one.

Oh, alright. Good luck mate, just bolster it very well. :)

T500RS Wheel Plate
SR Hardware's Thrustmaster T500 SLI Mounting System is a unique concept that finally allows T500 wheel owners to enjoy the benefits of an 'on wheel' shift light system yet still retain the original wheel and fit without drilling or modifying the standard wheel.

Built using our multi-layer construction technology from the finest materials and high quality components, this mounting system breaks new ground in add on hardware for the Thrustmaster T500 wheel! Completely pre built and assembled, the user has simply to attach the SLI-Pro or SLI-M on to the mount with the included fixings.

The mount comes complete with four modified Rotary encoders / knobs again pre fitted and ready to wire to your SLI unit, or you can simply order a fully assembled unit complete with the SLI-Pro or SLI-M installed and wired!

Fitting the unit to the T500 wheel is very straight forward. We utilise a high tech 'Adhesive gel gasket' on the bottom of the unit, whilst a see through acrylic plate mounts the top of the unit using the original screw hole for the wheel band behind the top of the wheel rim, making for a very secure fitment.

Last edited:
The original fan is only 60x60x10mm. So 60x60x20mm is the max you can go. The new fan is just about to touch the motor's cooling fans. I haven't put the wheel completely together so when I do I'll try to take some pictures.

I just disassembled mine as I just got very curious.

I removed the fan to see what type of fan is installed.

Chiefly Choice co. ltd.
Model: CC6010H12S
DC: 12V 0.20A
Sleeve Bearing
Impedance Protection

Then I looked at the old fan. Which was oddly exactly the same. The guys at Thrustmaster told me I would get a new and improved fan. I guess I just had a crappy fan that didn't hold during shipping and got an exact replacement instead.
I have to call them liars though, as they have not done anything to fix the issues when it comes to the fan if the same fan is still used. Pisses me off, mostly because I hate being lied too.
Also the metal casing has been worsened. First air could only go through the fins, now the air can escape through the space in between the cooler and cool block while it bounces of the parts it can't get through. 👎
If it's the metallic rattling, they could have just used a 1mm to 2mm thick rubber strip on the inside of the metal casing around the fan.

Also one thing I noticed earlier, but that cooling brick of aluminum won't cool anything. I don't know if anyone has noticed how thick the fins are on that thing but they are so thick most of the heat will be contained in it. There just isn't enough surface for heat dissipation.

I wonder if something better can be engineered easily. Hmmm.... I wish I had the machinery for it.

Update:

I just tried out the replacement fan on the 12V lead of my computer's powersupply. The noise coming from the fan is half of that when connected to the wheel itself.
Looking at the power brick of the wheel it says 24V. My guess is they just pump 24V to a 12V fan, therefor it wears twice as fast (if not worse, since it operates beyond spec). My guess is that like with the tension springs, you'll have to replace the fan every year.

If any of you guys can find a 60x60x10mm fan of 24V it should operate better. I'll have to do some more testing and measuring to make sure that what I am saying is correct. So i'll grab a multimeter soon.

Last edited:
USA on sale cooling fan 24V 60x60x10mm 6010 5 years guarantee Ballbearing

b_6fs1ku133217_0.jpg

Item specifics

Type:
Fan Parts

Place of Origin:
Guangdong China (Mainland)

Model Number:
CC6010B24M

Brand Name:
coolerbank,Chiefly

Size(mm):
60x60x10

Voltage(v):
24 VDC

Frame/housing:
PBT

Imperller:
PBT PC,Nylon

Insulation resistance:
Above100M&#937;,DC500V

Dielectric with stand Voltage:
AC1500V(50/60),DC500V

operating temperation for Ball bearing:
-40°C~70°C,life 70,000houre

operating temperation for sleeve bearing:
-20°C~70°C,life 30,000houre

Protection:
Impedanceprotection or thermal protection

ROHS:
yes

$ 13.00

http://www.onsale-usa.com/hot-sales...x10mm-6010-5-years-guarantee-Ballbearing.html

WildRun
Nice "T500 RS Wheel Plate" available here:
http://simracinghardware.com/wheel-plates/thrustmaster-t500-f1

T500RS Wheel Plate
SR Hardware's Thrustmaster T500 SLI Mounting System is a unique concept that finally allows T500 wheel owners to enjoy the benefits of an 'on wheel' shift light system yet still retain the original wheel and fit without drilling or modifying the standard wheel.

Built using our multi-layer construction technology from the finest materials and high quality components, this mounting system breaks new ground in add on hardware for the Thrustmaster T500 wheel! Completely pre built and assembled, the user has simply to attach the SLI-Pro or SLI-M on to the mount with the included fixings.

The mount comes complete with four modified Rotary encoders / knobs again pre fitted and ready to wire to your SLI unit, or you can simply order a fully assembled unit complete with the SLI-Pro or SLI-M installed and wired!

Fitting the unit to the T500 wheel is very straight forward. We utilise a high tech 'Adhesive gel gasket' on the bottom of the unit, whilst a see through acrylic plate mounts the top of the unit using the original screw hole for the wheel band behind the top of the wheel rim, making for a very secure fitment.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_QLWNUzs4">YouTube Link</a>

Does it work on the ps3? What about the f1 wheel? Would I be able to place it on the top of the base instead of the wheel so it could work w both wheels without having to change it?

Back