The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
I guess we have different values of money then. Seriously not designing proper cooling is just a lack of testing. Putting a bigger fan in it and redesigning the plastic cover a bit differently would be easy enough to do. Also a bigger fan wouldn't really cost more or barely at least when massively purchased for product manufacturing.

As I wrote. I experienced a FFB power drop while at driver defaults at around 25 minutes of use in GTR Evolution on the Nordschleife with a WTCC Extreme car. Now imagine doing the 24hour of the Nurburgring with it? It could be done if it just had better cooling. ;)

I value my money as much as anyone, I also recognize the T500 is a great wheel but it is definitely not high end quality.

I have raced in 15-20 iRacing time trials, practice sessions and races that are 30 minutes long or better. I have done the 9 hour GT5 with my son taking 2 hour shifts all on the T500 without any problems like you mentioned.

My suggestion to you is turn your FFB on the T500 calibration screen to 30-35 and you will still get great FFB and your T500 will last a lot longer. As I said, I love both my T500 but they are not aimed at the high end market, they are mid level Sim gear. Although they are used by a varying crowd from entry level Sim racers to the hardcore racer.

This is why I ordered a second one and if the price keeps falling I just might order two more :)

Well, it is not a Frex or ECCI indeed but for device of 500 euros/dollars there should have been more then enough proper stress testing during R&D to avoid any cooling issues.

iRacing isn't a game with strong force feedback I believe. Also GT5 doesn't send strong signals either. GTR Evolution does. However these signals can't go beyond a certain maximum of amplification. So if you take for granted that the signals are send out with a maximum of 100% then with the default of the wheels overal strength being 60% you'd expect that there should've evolve any problems like overheating and resulting loss of forces produced by the motor. In fact the cooling should have been designed for at least the device driver defaults and 100% power from the game's signals. I am sure a program could have been developed to stress test this on the bench during R&D.

Don't get me wrong. I still love to use my T500 every day and it's a great wheel, although in my opinion a wild beast due to the sudden force feedback effects in every game. Too sudden compared to a real car's road influence on the steering wheel. Maybe a firmware update can make this a bit smoother? I dunno. We'll see what Thrustmaster is going to do in future firmware updates.

I do have GTR Evolution as well, actually I have all the Sim Bin racers and I don't have any problems you mentioned you have with your T500. In iRacing FFB is dependent on each car, some are quite strong and others not as much.

Of course you are able to adjust FFB in iRacing as well. By far iRacing is leading the pack in Sim racing and is ever evolving. I have not touched a console in a while now, iRacing just offers so much. Some of Sim Bins stuff is alright but not on the same page as iRacing, I take it you don't use iRacing's service?

I do have GTR Evolution as well, actually I have all the Sim Bin racers and I don't have any problems you mentioned you have with your T500. In iRacing FFB is dependent on each car, some are quite strong and others not as much.

Of course you are able to adjust FFB in iRacing as well. By far iRacing is leading the pack in Sim racing and is ever evolving. I have not touched a console in a while now, iRacing just offers so much. Some of Sim Bins stuff is alright but not on the same page as iRacing, I take it you don't use iRacing's service?

I have it but I don't use it much yet. I will have to perform the same test again soon on GTR Evo then, just to see if I can reproduce it.
To be exact what I notice is not really a power loss, but more like the motor responds more gentle (it goes from wild to like how the MX5 responds in iRacing when turning the wheel). Or maybe it's just the FFB effects of the game that do that. Maybe to give the feeling of worn tires? I dunno. Anyway, its like there is more dampening effect in place.

Another nice rig (Pictures + Vids) shown this day on iRacing forum:

e04c8d84.jpg

7154fb1c.jpg

f5ca8c5d.jpg

Every product is designed with cost, manufacturing and a duty cycle in mind in mind and the T500 is no different. As an engineering you can make something heavier, stronger, more flexible, more powerful, more durable, spec it up whatever but there have to be trade offs for the other issues. Products may also suffer from lack of testing, poor design bad manufacturing, materials or whatever but testing and redesign involve costs, time etc.

My guess is that Thrustmaster designed a product that they thought would be "good" for 80% of the market that would buy it. From what I can tell they have been successful. It isn't a perfect product, but very few consumer products are.

We can play armchair designer and say, they are a bunch of idiots because if they would have just put in a $2 fan instead of a $1 fan it would have been so much better. You might even be right but making things is really not that easy. Even if the company was as passionate about the product as we are there are still difference of opinion and one compromise might be a huge problem for me and another for you and those things might conflict with one another.

If you read the CSRE review that compared it to a Mk1 Frex, the amount of maintenance and difficulty of the Frex maintenance was shocking to me. That is a very expensive product that probably performs brilliantly, but I would never accept the compromise even if it was T500 priced.

I am sure I had a point in writing that, I think :)

That cockpit looks very good Wildrun. 👍

Well, it is not a Frex or ECCI indeed but for device of 500 euros/dollars there should have been more then enough proper stress testing during R&D to avoid any cooling issues.

iRacing isn't a game with strong force feedback I believe.

Like left888 mentions the FFB changes from car to car. Cars on the Old tire model tends to feel stronger (like Riley DP) while cars on the NTM may feel a little weaker (like the mx-5). But iRacing, unlike other racing titles, includes road surface FFB so you should be feeling a lot on the tracks. but anyway I know that's not your sim

I'd rate FFB in this order:
1) iRacing or netkar pro
2) GTR Evolution
3) Game Stock Cars
4) rFactor + realFeel
5) Dirt 3 (I have ps3 version, should be much stronger on PC)
etc....

I'm quite disappointed in that answer really. It seems a sim racing tool of 500 euros still qualifies as a toy according to them. I know the serious sim racers around the far corners of our globe didn't see this as a toy but a serious piece of kit for some serious racing when they bought it, something that'll last through 24 hours of hardships.

Sadly, I can say it doesn't even last 1 hour on the Nordschleife in GTR Evolution before the feedback starts to weaken. I had this happen to me tonight sadly enough.

For me all of this is a big thumbs down for Thrustmaster as they failed to reach the right audience for one (casual racer) and disappointed another category of people (serious sim racer) because they can't use it the way they expected to (full FFB for a long time). 👎

Also I am surprised this wasn't caught in beta testing either? Where is that beta tester that lurks around here. Maybe he can shed a light on how this happened.

I never noticed that. I think I raced for an hour or close to it in gtr evo on that same track [edit] Then again I'm not 100% positive cause its been awhile since I've played it. For sure I've done it in iRacing in practice and official races. Plus I've never read any other t500rs mention this at iRacing. Check other titles to see if you get the same issue?

Last edited:

Like left888 mentions the FFB changes from car to car. Cars on the Old tire model tends to feel stronger (like Riley DP) while cars on the NTM may feel a little weaker (like the mx-5). But iRacing, unlike other racing titles, includes road surface FFB so you should be feeling a lot on the tracks. but anyway I know that's not your sim

1) iRacing or netkar pro
2) GTR Evolution
3) Game Stock Cars
4) rFactor + realFeel
etc....

I never noticed that. I think I raced for an hour or close to it in gtr evo on that same track [edit] Then again I'm not 100% positive cause its been awhile since I've played it. For sure I've done it in iRacing in practice and official races. Plus I've never read any other t500rs mention this at iRacing. Check other titles to see if you get the same issue?

I will have to look again like I said earlier, but I don't have time right now. I am spring cleaning my room a bit so that my new rig will fit in it. Maybe i'll even re-arrange it. That takes more priority for now right now then testing stuff. ;)

If you read the CSRE review that compared it to a Mk1 Frex, the amount of maintenance and difficulty of the Frex maintenance was shocking to me. That is a very expensive product that probably performs brilliantly, but I would never accept the compromise even if it was T500 priced.

I am sure I had a point in writing that, I think :)

I don't know if the Frex Simwheel Mk II has improved in term of being relatively maintenance-free but what I've read the performance have increased. Even Mk I betters the CSR-E when it comes to smoothness and power (as per Pax 7 review/comparison on RD).

Another thing to consider is that unlike the T500RS, CSR-E or CSW, Frex is made to order and I know from reading ShigeT's answers (cryptic as they may sound) and his Youtube posting that the Simwheel is constantly being improved. The latest is the new generation of "no-cogging" motor.

I'm sure in time, the Simwheel will achieve some level of maturity but at this time if you're buying one make sure you're at least comfortable with using screwdrivers or touching metal parts. Personally, I' still considering Frex at some point. CSW is nice and the T500RS I'm using right now is good but if my next job pays as well as I'm making now (contract-worker), Simwheel will no fall out of the equation.

I will have to look again like I said earlier, but I don't have time right now. I am spring cleaning my room a bit so that my new rig will fit in it. Maybe i'll even re-arrange it. That takes more priority for now right now then testing stuff. ;)

Oh no rush or anything. I believe you. I was just wondering was it possibly a bug in the software or something because I really havent played gtr evo in a long time. Not since early August to be specific.

Oh no rush or anything. I believe you. I was just wondering was it possibly a bug in the software or something because I really havent played gtr evo in a long time. Not since early August to be specific.

Well, I think it's mainly due to the wobble on the straight of the ring. I get a lot of wheel wobble and that might overheat it just a tiny bit. I'd have to put in a forced deadzone to prevent that, however I was dealing with it without worry since I hate deadzones but the T500 wasn't in my case I guess.
I might have to note that I was driving for half a day already in different games if I recall correctly. 💡
I'll pay more attention to iRacing soon as well. I think it might be better for me to race serious there and just keep GT5 for fun.

I'll pay more attention to iRacing soon as well. I think it might be better for me to race serious there and just keep GT5 for fun.

Good idea Logi, start practicing with the MX5. Give me a friend request and I'll see you on the track. It's a lot of fun practicing at Lime Rock with 10-16 racers sometimes, other times there are only 4-6 cars.

Hot lapping is a good way to start but gets boring in a hurry. Do you have iSpeed? It's a good utility to run on a second monitor if you have one.

Another nice rig (Pictures + Vids)
Excellent rig WR

Yeah we could all take a drive for fun. left888 and I still need to do some online racing soon when I get a chance to play

Btw, just watched an episode of ISR. towards the end Bryan (GT Academy winner) is driving with a T500RS. Looks like he's sequential shifting. See at about 29 mins into the vid. He's driving the MX-5 in iRacing at Poccono Road? Didnt even know that track had a road course

Nice, I didn't even know Bryan was an iRacing member. Very excellent ISR episode I'd say even tho there's no Jessica

If you buy the one for the T500RS then it comes with the TH8RS mount (which I didn't use) and the G27 shifter mount which I used mounted upside down. It works pretty good.

6609174571_f6fea361ee_z.jpg

Thanks that's great of you to provide a picture. Now I just have to save up some money for the TH8RS :(

A bit off topic, but have you or anyone else noticed that the t500 wheel is covered in some sort of plastic? The other day after playing with it, I noticed a few scratches on the wheel, and at first I thought it was damaged. However, upon closer inspection, it looked like a compacted layer of plastic protecting the rubber! I kinda wanna take it off since it looks ugly, but I figure I should just leave it for the added protection.

Good idea Logi, start practicing with the MX5. Give me a friend request and I'll see you on the track. It's a lot of fun practicing at Lime Rock with 10-16 racers sometimes, other times there are only 4-6 cars.

Hot lapping is a good way to start but gets boring in a hurry. Do you have iSpeed? It's a good utility to run on a second monitor if you have one.

Excellent rig WR

I'll add you and Sandboxgod as well. Don't have a second monitor unless my tiny G19 keyboard display counts. heh.
I do have an iphone though but I'd have to hold it in my hand. I really need an iphone mount for the CSW/CSR Elite at some point since I doubt the T500 will get one and reckon either of those will make lots of hours on the rSeat (which is in Vienna now but should be here in two days according to UPS... I wonder if it'll catch a ICE bullet train to make it).

I already did some practice laps at Zandvoort which is closest to home I can get. Wish they put in the TT-circuit Assen though. I live about 30 kilometers from it. :dopey:

Anyhow... I'll lurk around iRacing now to see where to add friends (haven't really looked around but did what I had to do... race!) instead of deranging the topic.

I didn't know you were getting an rSeat, that's awesome logi. To add a friend under the moving ticker "myRACING" "myRACERS" "Driver Search" then enter my name or Sandbox then hoover over the helmet and "add friend" BTW to find our names just look Here

1) iRacing or netkar pro
2) GTR Evolution
3) Game Stock Cars
4) rFactor + realFeel
etc....

I'll update your order now that rFactor2 is out:
1) rFactor2
2) Everything else.

If you have a T500, get rF2. Even in the Beta stage it's amazing. rF2 really brings the T500 to life- the FFB is amazing

guybo
I'll update your order now that rFactor2 is out:
1) rFactor2
2) Everything else.

If you have a T500, get rF2. Even in the Beta stage it's amazing. rF2 really brings the T500 to life- the FFB is amazing

I think rf2 royally sucks to be honest. It can not compare currently with iRacing and GTR Evo. I think even the earlier in development being CARS is relatively past rf2 already. FFB sucks still but the graphics are way better and will only improve still.

@Left888: Added you and Sandboxgod.
Yeah I am getting a red chair and black frame Evo3 with a huge discount via contacts. Let's just say I pay far less then it costs to get the T500 RS. :)
It has departed this morning from Vienna, but where it is now I have no idea. Hopefully on an ICE high speed train to Amsterdam and then it will go by truck up north to the distribution center of UPS here and then Thursday in the afternoon I hopefully get it. But who knows? I think it'll be a bit delayed.

Anyone who wants to add me send me a message. I'll tell you my name so you can. That way I also know who the heck the people are that do. lol

Last edited:
Regarding CARS - does anyone have a download link for the most current beta? I've been looking at their page but couldn't find one immediately. :(

rFactor has always been about the user community taking it all the way. I'm going to wait on a few weeks for the user mods to come out then I will purchase rf2 and test with csr-e & t500rs 👍

Mod teams been working on rf2 mods for years now. Plus I am sure the community will release an FFB plugin once again as long as they release the SDK again. So all that stuff I wouldn't about. CARS looks good and all but rf2 will simply slay everything except iRacing once the community release hundreds of cars & maps again

Besides that I'm keeping my eye on that project the netkar pro devs are working on

Regarding CARS - does anyone have a download link for the most current beta? I've been looking at their page but couldn't find one immediately. :(

Download link is on the forum if you've logged in and contributed. It should be under the logo under a yellow "download" button. ;)

Besides, you need to contribute to be able to log into the game, else you can't play anyway.

rFactor has always been about the user community taking it all the way. I'm going to wait on a few weeks for the user mods to come out then I will purchase rf2 and test with csr-e & t500rs 👍

Mod teams been working on rf2 mods for years now. Plus I am sure the community will release an FFB plugin once again as long as they release the SDK again. So all that stuff I wouldn't about. CARS looks good and all but rf2 will simply slay everything except iRacing once the community release hundreds of cars & maps again

Besides that I'm keeping my eye on that project the netkar pro devs are working on

I totally disagree. The graphics of RF2 are from yesteryear and the FFB is bad for a Beta that just needs a few tweaks. So to be honest, relatively looking at the games in their current stage of development C.A.R.S. is going to be better as RF2 is almost finished already and C.A.R.S. just started with development. For one the graphics area already better then in RF2.

Last edited:
Download link is on the forum if you've logged in and contributed. It should be under the logo under a yellow "download" button. ;)

Besides, you need to contribute to be able to log into the game, else you can't play anyway.

Right, I'll think about that. Thanks. :)

I totally disagree. The graphics of RF2 are from yesteryear and the FFB is bad for a Beta that just needs a few tweaks. So to be honest, relatively looking at the games in their current stage of development C.A.R.S. is going to be better as RF2 is almost finished already and C.A.R.S. just started with development. For one the graphics area already better then in RF2.

I agree, I have RF1 and it looks like it was made in the early 90's, RF2 is not much better graphical speaking. I might buy it once it has been through a few patches. The graphics are not on par with iRacing that's for sure.

The one thing it does have is a large community and a lot of very skilled modders.

Right, I'll think about that. Thanks. :)

I recommend that you become a "team member" if you aren't as of yet. Keep in mind CARS is not finished yet and it probably has another year of development. This means uninstalling the software every Friday and installing a new build. You also must delete your profile and re-calibrate your wheel etc..

Once you have joined you can find the weekly build Here

Yeah but for most PC sim racer graphics is not a priority. Shift 2 is top notch graphically but shunned by most hardcore sim racer. And FFB can easily be tweaked by the community again via plugins (leo's ffb + real feel FFB). The old rf1 allowed plugin to have full control.

Physics > Graphics for most folks (including myself)

[edit] all that being said tho to be honest I'm just going to stick to iRacing, gt5, & fm4 for the most part.

You should see it when you logon to the WMD portal. I am very pleased they gave direct support for the t500rs in there.

Last edited:
Guys, the reason I do want good quality graphics is because of the fact that it is easier to visually recognize the braking and turn in points or see how corners bend when you look almost flat over the road surface (like coming out of an uphill part with a low seated car, LMP?).
The sharper the graphics the more easily it will become to visually recognize certain points on the track you are familiar with when you need to brake or turn in, or even see the apex more easily. If you look across a almost flat surface the sharper the graphics the easier it will become to see the road properly before you're there.

So I personally am of the opinion that graphics do matter when it comes to driving better more easily. Besides, it is less tiresome as well when you don't have to stare for a few pixels that are your vantage points.

Physics on the other hand is indeed more important, but graphics can't be neglected due to this to give the best simulation of the real deal possible.

Back