The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
No worries.

Anybody had returns from France for there T500?

I sent my wheel base off to them last weekend (they received it on Wednesday) but today I received a email saying spare parts have been shipped to me today???

I'm not sure what they mean as I don't need spare parts, I need my base repaired or replaced!

Can't phone them as I don't have a landline, and I don't wanna email at this point......

Speak of the devil... the kit arrived just now. 7+ pages of instructions... Yuck, but at least they have photos... It's not really that complicated, but I'm not a mechanical guy and I don't want to mess it up. The kit has all the parts, but I have to go out and get some grease to apply to the new springs and shaft.

The instructions say 30 minutes, but I'm sure it won't be that quick for me. :lol:

Here's a pdf scan I made of the instructions.

Glad you got it WRP001. Hope it's easier than it seams. thanks for the pdf. I'm still waiting for a reply from thrustmaster. Hope they answer tomorrow. thanks for everything

You mean how many of the T500RS have been sold? It would be interesting to know. Personally, I've bought along with the wheel itself, the shifter as well as the F1 add-on wheel in a short period of a month.
Yeah, that's what i mean.
Hopefully they are okay.

Anyway..
Is it just me or you guys notice the difference of this wheel on the new 2.04 GT5 update?
It was on the notice for FGT, F1 and X1. But I do feel slight difference on "slow" cars also. I feel the wheel response is smoother. Looks like there's some tweak on the wheel's damper or something..

ffb feels weaker after the update :ouch: im not liking it :yuck:

You're sure it feels weaker? Sometimes it's just perception and when it comes to feel, the human mind and body isn't the best evaluator.

Personally, I feel that on some cars- the Acura NSX for example, felt better. At first it didn't feel as good but re-booting the PS3 makes a difference to me.

The kit has all the parts, but I have to go out and get some grease to apply to the new springs and shaft.

well i am in the same boat. one of my accelerator pedal springs broke on my V1 T500RS :( called TM and they will send me a replacement spring. not great but only problem i have had since i got this over a year ago

was wondering, what kind of grease do i need to buy? sorry for silly question but i am not mechanically inclined ;)

anyway customer service answered phone fast and seem to be on the ball. hopefully they will send spring sooner rather than later. in the meantime i flipped the pedals into F1 position so i still have a working brake and accelerator pedal. bit weird since i am so used to GT mode position now, but better to have some resistance on the pedal than a loose pedal you cannot feel

hopefully someone will come up with a perfect pedal mod - it is much needed mod imo

You can either white vaseline or dry chain lube. I got white Vaseline on the newer compression springs instead of the black stuff earlier on the torsion springs when I still had the V2.

lunarwolf
thx

what are these new compression springs? are they better?

They won't break as quickly I hope as there is less strain on the metal with compression springs. Just read one of my posts a while back here. I posted my impressions versus the old ones. I think it's not more then 5 pages back now ish.

However you can't retro fit the compression springs onto a pedalset with torsion springs.

Oh and I would go for white Vaseline as it doesn't harm you when getting it on your hands. In fact it is used as a ointment too since WW2 or something. So you can just spread the remainder over your hands. ;)

Edit:

Here are the links the first one is a mini review/comparison of the V2 vs my current V4. The second has a pic of the double compression spring under the brake pedal.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6587774#post6587774
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6596933#post6596933

Last edited:
Found on youtube this impressive MOD of "Ferrari F1 Wheel Add-On" :crazy: :

34od4jn.jpg

At 2m10 the guy shows all added encoders in action:

I made a post in the F1 rim thread, too. Well, said thread isn't too active, so forgive me for posting the question again.

I'm thinking about using some sort of LED / display, too. Yet, could I just program the SLI-PRO to show the time or something? Not the lap time, just the normal CET time. I'd like to keep the LEDs on all the time, too. Probably at around 20-25% max.

PS3 games don't support it, so for the time being...:P

My new wheel base was dispatched on the 7th so should hopefully be here soon!

Was worried they were just gonna say they repaired it but glad it been replaced, hoping its a V5 unit too :)

Found on youtube this impressive MOD of "Ferrari F1 Wheel Add-On" :crazy: :

34od4jn.jpg

At 2m10 the guy shows all added encoders in action:
gosh the wiring must be insane inside that thing, 5 more 3mm LEDs in that tiny space, he doesn't have any rotary switch but all encoders, i guess to save space, Bodnar's rotary switch is a bit thick in depth.
funny when he pressed KERS and activate DRS, the display didn't show, maybe it's only rF and F12011 will do it, must try it.
thanks for finding all these sick pictures and videos wildrun. makes me want t500 more and more .
does anyone hands gets really itchy after watching that, I just wanna get my hacksaw and drill and start making one.

My review:

T500RS Review

There have been plenty of reviews of the T500RS. Its pros and cons have been well documented. So instead of telling you largely what you already know, I will try to focus on my experiences and hopefully some things I have notices (good and bad) about the wheel.

The Opening

A Box within a box within a box. I have never seen this many boxes for one item. But at least my wheel arrived in one piece.
The first thing you notice about this wheel is its weight. Compared to a G25 it feels like lead brick. Nice box, lots of styrofoam, easy to unpack. Now that it is out of the box, what does it look like?

The Set Up

It could not have been easier. Plug in the power cable, pedals and USB, get the firmware and drivers from the PC and update the wheel’s internal FW. But the truth is, as I will explain latter, not everything went smoothly.

Sight, sound, touch, smell

Aesthetically, I really like the look of this wheel. It looks very sporty. The base design is a nice blend of sports car inspired shapes. The sheer size of the wheel is almost intimidating. The overall feel is less “toy” and more “device” or “machine”. Turning the wheel on it makes a smooth mechanic whir and then snaps into alignment rather alarmingly. It’s almost like the initial stage of an engine unassumingly starting up, then furiously revving to life.

While the look of the wheel is impressive, how does it perform in terms of tactile aesthetics? While the wheel itself looks the part, its actual feel leaves much to be desired in my opinion. I immediately remembered the feel of my DFGT. In other words, fake plastic, and unpleasant. Coming from my G25, I expected more. The buttons have a reassuring click. The paddles as well have a very nice, CLICK. They provide a very nice auditory and tactile cue that you have pressed a button. I thought that this may annoy me but I eventually found it to be very helpful. The buttons are easy to reach with my fingers, but I cannot vouch for those with shorter digits.

The diamond plate on the pedals is a nice touch and adds an industrial feel. The pedals also have a nice feel when I press my sock against them. Not that it matters, but on a cold day, you may want to wear thick socks, as the base gets chilly.

Finally, I found this wheel to have almost that new car smell.

Ergonomics and Construction

Wheel rim is a great shape and fits nicely in the hand. I still would have preferred a bit more thickness to the rim. To my surprise, I had no trouble adjusting to the fixed paddle shifters. They are large enough that you really have to be overturning your car or shifting mid hairpin in order to say to yourself “boy I really miss my G25 paddles”. The connection of the wheel itself to the base is reasonably sturdy. The amount of flex present is probably to absorb any dramatic shock to the unit. The wheel base clamp that is provided does a decent job securing the wheel to a table. The rubber grips do a commendable job of actually gripping. That being said, in order to get it really secure I had to use some duct tape. Hard mounting is obviously the best route if you have your own rig. The pedals are easy, if a bit time consuming, to reconfigure to the alternative positions. Given how sturdy the pedals are, this does not bother me.

Performance

I think virtualr said it best. The T500RS is a 800hp stock car. The force this wheel produces is quite jarring. On one hand this is great because it really makes you respect your steering inputs. On the other hand it creates this scenario where you find yourself fighting the wheel rather than seamlessly communicating with it. That being said, the effects this wheel translates to you, the driver, is fantastic. Understeer, oversteer, curb hop, collisions, etc all come through clearer than before.

Probably the most talked about aspect of this wheel is its speed. It is fast. I could try to explain differently, but it is just plain fast. Like the FFB I feel like it is fast, almost to a fault.

Smoothness is not only something that is required with this wheel but something it displays as well. Compared to a G25 it is like dipping your hand into a vat of heavy cream. There is very little notching (that does not mean none) or grinding. The only point this can be felt or heard is the first few degrees the wheel comes off center.

Yes this wheel is fast, smooth and produces strong force feedback effects. It is worlds better than the DF series, G25/27, and 911 wheels. I do not want to sound like I am not giving it a fair shake but this wheel comes with more than just a wheel, it comes with pedals.

I am not going to sugar coat it the pedal feel is ABSOLUTE CRAP. Except for the great construction, these could basically be G25 pedals…
o There is NO feel on the accelerator and the brake is weak at best.
o IMO I actually like the G25 pedals more and I think they are crap.
o I feel like they spent all their money on the wheel internals and left the pedals as an afterthought. Except in racing, you steering more with your feet than your hands.
o They should have just nixed the inversion part and put a little more into the pedal feel.

Why is this so important? Anyone who knows anything about driving knows that you point the car with the wheel, but you rotate and turn the car with the pedals. Steer feel is very important, but as a driver proper pedal modulation is even more so. The pedals on the T500RS make this very difficult. In games like iRacing where absolute precision is required, they come up short. Missing braking points, locking up, etc. Sure you can turn in perfectly, but what about mid corner and corner exit? To me, as an enthusiastic sim racer this is a big fault.

Reliability and Customer Support

My T500RS came with a broken right paddle shifter. A small, but crippling problem. For some reason as I was talking to customer service it fixed itself. Then 2 weeks later it started acting up again. From my research this is not an isolated problem with the wheel. That being said, TM CS will fix it. In hindsight, this was not such a big deal. What worries more is that the final days before I sent my wheel back, the FFB strength started to become about 5-10% weaker. This is an effect almost all wheels face over time. My G25 feels like mush after 2+ years. To feel this in just a month of ownership is disconcerting. Doing some more research, this may be an isolated problem, however it is worth considering.

Conclusion

My conclusion is a piece of advice. Should you or should you not buy a T500RS? Yes and no. I got mine for $381 off of amazon. The T500RS usually lists for around $500. $100 does not seem like much, but it is the difference between a buy and a not buy for me. It is worth $381, not $500. At $381 it is slightly above Fanatecs mid-range offerings in price, yet above in performance. But at $500 it is awfully close to Fanatecs premium offering, the CSR Elite. From the pedals to the plastic rim there is just too much about this wheel for me to consider it in a premium price range.
You know what the T500RS is? It is that piece of clothing that is rather daring, a bit edgy, not a sure purchase. It expensive, but still unmistakably cool. Do you get it now? Or wait until it goes on sale?
I waited.

Alexander Prus (Paskowitz)

I'm sorry but this is obviously a token review ;)

I am sorry, but what do you mean by that?

If you are referring to me posting it as the CSW test went up, that is a simply coincidence. I had most of this written about a month ago, but I have had many important real life duties to attend to. Today I finally got some free time to fill in what I thought. I saw the CSW test post and realized I had forgot about posting it. Better late than never.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this is obviously a token review ;)

+1 obviousl attempt to qualify as a CSW tester 👎 . would have been interesting if he had posted this +6 months ago

must be taking the community for idiots

epic fail and won't be getting my vote

Last edited:
Honestly I think the fastest league racers should be testing this stuff.

That how I feel.

Ford figured it out. They race we win. Same scenario. Let the racers R&D and we the users will win. ;)

No offense to anyone trying to be involved.

I personally don't want involved. Excited about the CSW. It will be on my rig. T500 will get thrown in the closet as a back up plan. Sadly I should get a back up plan for the back up plan. LoL

Never again Thrustmaster. NEVER AGAIN!!! meanin I won't buy another one of your items. Skipped over the F1 wheel and the shifter because this wheel/pedals I got is breaking down.

sry to hear that Owensracing, but tbh if i had all the problems you had, i would throw in the towel as well. i hope that your next experience with whatever you choose to be a better one

i don't agree that the best league racers should be selected. i would rather have people that
1. actually have owned/played w/ other wheels
2. are capable of making objective reviews with the good and the bad.
3. are credible members of the community
being fastest on a lap doesn't necessarily make one a good reviewer

i also understand why Fanatec decided to exclude people that reviewed the CSR officially. too bad for them, but spread the wealth and let's get different opinions, gives the community more depth

Last edited:
+1 obviousl attempt to qualify as a CSW tester 👎 . would have been interesting if he had posted this +6 months ago

must be taking the community for idiots

epic fail and won't be getting my vote

First of all, I only got my T500RS in December. Second,

I wish I could say it to people's face. I really resent this view. So to put this to rest:

Please note the date modified.

I do not know what more proof you need. Hell I even have video if you want that. I know this is the internet where tone of voice and facial expression are mute, but please be a little more considerate when coming to conclusions. People have lives that stand above the internet. Me for example, I have a dying family that needs to be taken care of and respected. I cannot post things when people want.

I really do not know what to say besides, I am sorry that you are taking my actions as somehow disingenuous.

Honestly I think the fastest league racers should be testing this stuff.

That how I feel.

Ford figured it out. They race we win. Same scenario. Let the racers R&D and we the users will win. ;)

No offense to anyone trying to be involved.

I personally don't want involved. Excited about the CSW. It will be on my rig. T500 will get thrown in the closet as a back up plan. Sadly I should get a back up plan for the back up plan. LoL

Never again Thrustmaster. NEVER AGAIN!!! meanin I won't buy another one of your items. Skipped over the F1 wheel and the shifter because this wheel/pedals I got is breaking down.

^ This.

I'll get the CSW, too. I like the TM F1 rim but it's just breaking a bit too fast.

Such a noob question, But,

How do you guys hold the wheel?

I used to hold it with my hands at 9-3 but I found I used to wrap my thumbs over the metal arms from the centre, I found it fairly easy to change gear (paddles) but my writs used to ache quite badly.

I have just tried using it with my hands at 10-2 but is better on my writs but I'm finding my gear changes to be worse.....

Any tips? Or should I just buy the shifter?

Such a noob question, But,

How do you guys hold the wheel?

I used to hold it with my hands at 9-3 but I found I used to wrap my thumbs over the metal arms from the centre, I found it fairly easy to change gear (paddles) but my writs used to ache quite badly.

I have just tried using it with my hands at 10-2 but is better on my writs but I'm finding my gear changes to be worse.....

Any tips? Or should I just buy the shifter?

You may be sitting too close or too far away from the wheel. From what I have read. You want to be able to place your arms on the rim with your wrist about 1-2 inches away from the wheel.

I drive 9-3 but I do not press my thumbs against the wheel (ie curl them around), I leave them slightly off it. To me this is a more natural position.

If you have big hands, like me, then there is not all that much you can do. The T500RS rim is pretty thin.

Back