The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
In GT5 (in the game itself) there is no possibility to adjust the angle like you do on a PC, regardless of the wheel. You can adjust steering sensivity from -2 to 7 but I never touched this option until now. So I have no idea how that works.

I own the T500 and can say, that it seems that the game do some kind of auto-adjust to the car, you are actually driving. I used it with road cars and also with the Ferrari F1 and it never felt "wrong". When driving the F1 I didn't have to turn the wheel as much as in a road car.

So if you considering a T500, I would not worry abou that. Only with Fanatec wheels you can adjust the degrees of turning (only in the wheel, not in the game).

Thanks for the good answer!

Can you tell me do you need to turn the wheel more than the inside-car-view tells you to achieve maximum turning angle? Or is it enough when the driver's wheel on the screen doesn't turn anymore?
How much you have to turn the wheel for hairspins?

I will check out a lap at Monaco with F1 this evening and then report you.

As far as I remember you can turn the wheel 1080 degrees even in an F1 car and front tires ingame will move (animated steering whell does not turn that far!). But I think that steering in this case is not linear. So there is no need to turn that far to have a realistic feeling. So a 200 degrees turn in the Monaco hairpin (ingame) should be achieved with turning the T500 200 degrees as well. I hope I was able to express what I mean.

After some testing I noticed the following:

Car: Ferrari F10
Track: Monaco

The animated wheel does only turn 90 degrees to each side, which is 210 or 220 degrees on my T500.

The hairpin felt not 100% correct. Real drivers turn ~200 degrees, for me 220 (maximum with crossed arms) was not enough. 240 or 250 would have been better.

I also noticed a "soft lock" at 900 degrees. After that, the front tires stopped turning and I could feel resistence. This surprised me, because T500 has 1080 degrees. In the options menu I have choosen the T500. Curious...

Just noticed during time trial: in the racing kart the soft lock appears at ~160 degrees.

So there is a kind of auto adjust in the game!

Not always, be careful and make sure the cheap screws did not snap and get stuck in there. Same thing happened to me I kept re tightening and in the end i noticed 2 of them had snapped. It is a bad design. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NblrLzcvTs&list=UUhAxKpkGDVR7YnBrAkJx5Xg&index=5&feature=plcp

Very easy to solve 👍 :

1) Remove detachable wheel like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7cKX6F1ah0

2) Tighten these 4 screws:
m7vsjt.jpg

The animated wheel does only turn 90 degrees to each side, which is 210 or 220 degrees on my T500.

The hairpin felt not 100% correct. Real drivers turn ~200 degrees, for me 220 (maximum with crossed arms) was not enough. 240 or 250 would have been better.

I also noticed a "soft lock" at 900 degrees. After that, the front tires stopped turning and I could feel resistence. This surprised me, because T500 has 1080 degrees. In the options menu I have choosen the T500. Curious...

Thanks for your tests! I really appreciate. 👍

This is what I feared a bit. Not a big problem for me because I don't race Monaco or F1's a lot. But that's why there should be some kind of adjustment for the angle in the settings...

Good thing is that there is the auto adjustment for the angle lock you mentioned.

Well, I'll go and buy this wheel on weekend (new for 299€!) and give it a good go with a Playseat and some beer!

@oze

This price is hard to beat. Where do you get that offer?

But anyway, I paid 385€ at Dynabyte and even for that price I was never disappointed. You won't make any mistake with this purchase!

I get same behavior on my Fanatec GT3 RS V.2 both Ferrari F1s and FGT at Monaco. This happens with the wheel sensitivity set anywhere between 750 and 900, have you compared with your GT3 as well?
I wonder if it is a bug in GT5.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I understand correctly. I had my GT3 sensitivity always set to "off". And at 900 degrees the GT3 ends anyway.

I was only curious about the "missing" additional 180 degrees of my T500.

@oze

This price is hard to beat. Where do you get that offer?

But anyway, I paid 385€ at Dynabyte and even for that price I was never disappointed. You won't make any mistake with this purchase!

299€ is a one day only offer in local store. Yeah, can't go wrong here. :)

Just a mod for PS3 button box and mount a real Formula style wheel(not received yet)
With board from the original wheel and original mini-din(PS/2) connectors as well. And improved cooling.

It's a work in progress and not very nice at the moment.
dsc1905o.jpg
dsc1907t.jpg
dsc1912h.jpg
dsc1913t.jpg
dsc1918a.jpg
dsc1922i.jpg

JmC
Just a mod for PS3 button box
Interesting but this just replicates the buttons already on the wheel? Is this for looks or maybe for rally games where the co-driver can make changes on your behalf? :confused:

Sorry...I get it...yes, I am slow. You can then mount your other wheel without buttons and use your button box! Yes, I am writing as I think.

Very nice! 👍

JmC
With board from the original wheel and original mini-din(PS/2) connectors as well.
So the guts of the wheel is now in your button box and the buttons on the original wheel don't do anything anymore yeah?

There is no buttons anymore on the wheel. There is 13 buttons on the wheel and replacing them by push buttons like in real race car was difficult form me cause the electronic of the bord is a kind of PS/2 controler with 2 IC.

Also the size of the circuit board of the wheel is too big to adapt on flat round race wheel.
Mobsim use a 320mm Momo Millenium wheel as you see above.
I think it's too big for the T500RS. I want to mount a flat round 305mm(12") formula wheel with suede rim.

I plan to use a joystick controller by Leo Bodnar to add some stuff on the wheel later or maybe with the F1 wheel even if it looks ugly. As long as it works...

I'm having an issue where when I exit out of GT5, and the T500 calibrates, it is setting the center about 15° to the left. It stays like this for my next sessions, each time it calibrates, it sets to the left. Deleting game data so far had been the only fix, albeit temporary. The first time it fixed it for 2 weeks and now I only get one gaming session. Thrustmaster support wants me to reinstall firmware 38. The odd thing is on the phone he told me I should never do the start/select/mode manual calibration but his e-mail tells me to do it. I haven't done the reinstall yet, just called this morning, but I really hope it fixes it because I'm getting frustrated by the whole thing. I'm supposed to do 3 endurance races this weekend along with two time trials I'm currently participating in. I really don't want to have to break out the DFP

mcfizzle
I'm having an issue where when I exit out of GT5, and the T500 calibrates, it is setting the center about 15° to the left. It stays like this for my next sessions, each time it calibrates, it sets to the left. Deleting game data so far had been the only fix, albeit temporary. The first time it fixed it for 2 weeks and now I only get one gaming session. Thrustmaster support wants me to reinstall firmware 38. The odd thing is on the phone he told me I should never do the start/select/mode manual calibration but his e-mail tells me to do it. I haven't done the reinstall yet, just called this morning, but I really hope it fixes it because I'm getting frustrated by the whole thing. I'm supposed to do 3 endurance races this weekend along with two time trials I'm currently participating in. I really don't want to have to break out the DFP

Hi McFizzle, I had this same issue with my V2 wheel about 2 months after purchase. TM had me go through the same process as you have described all to no avail. After a few weeks of emails (no phone contact as I am in Australia and international calls are expensive :( ) they determined the PCB's flash memory had failed and replaced the wheel with a new one. They did give me the option of sending a replacement PCB but I felt if that was dead how long till the other electronics in that unit died too?
Good luck and I hope you can fix the problem with the firmware update.
If you need any more details just PM me.

Thanks,
Ben.

Long time no post ;)

I have tried to buy the TM shifter locally, still not available. And what is this I am reading that is isn't even 100% compatible with the game it was supposed to officially support?

Can I finally say "I told you so"? :lol:

Seriously though - is this shifter a regular retail item anywhere? (except on-line with irritatingly expensive return policies?)

Back