The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
You're not making it easier (addressed to all the explanations). :P

I'm definitely not interested in the F1 wheel only in the GT wheel of the T500.

It's seems to be true, the more information you get, the more difficult it gets to decide, instead of making it easier.

Well maybe I'll get the G27 (if I decide to start gaming again), and for the remaining of the T500 RS budget, I colud get the Leo bodnar cable and the TH8RS.

I purchased 2 T500's when it released, both are version 1's. I had a Fanatec Elite wheel, a G27 and various Fanatec wheels as well. The T500 is by far the best. In iRacing all the tracks are laser scanned and the T500's FFB really translates that to your hands. There is a large group in iRacing that feels the same as I do.

For GT5 it is also a great wheel, If either of my two T500's ever broke down I won't hesitate to purchase another.

You're not making it easier (addressed to all the explanations). :P

I'm definitely not interested in the F1 wheel only in the GT wheel of the T500.

It's seems to be true, the more information you get, the more difficult it gets to decide, instead of making it easier.

Well maybe I'll get the G27 (if I decide to start gaming again), and for the remaining of the T500 RS budget, I colud get the Leo bodnar cable and the TH8RS.

Which is better, a 2013 Corvette or a 2008? I'd much rather have the current tech. It is more future proof than old tech. Logitech has gotten out of the high end consumer level wheels. Meanwhile, Thrustmaster is still supporting their wheel with firmware updates.

From what I understand, the T500 comes to life in PC games. I don't have a computer than can handle gaming, so cannot testify to this.

Sure my iPhone 3GS works perfectly fine and gets the job done. But the iPhone 5, or even a 4s, would do it so much better! There are games that cannot be played on anything less than an iPhone 4S. Angry Birds Star Wars pushes my aging phone to its limits! Also, iOS 6 is the last operating system that will support the 3Gs. Just relate this to the current wheel (T500) and the aged G27.

There is nothing wrong with the G27. It's a good wheel. But, there is a better wheel on the market. If price is a factor, by all means get the G27. If its not, get the better wheel.

Camry vs Lexus. Ford vs Lincoln. There are reasons why the higher end costs more. In the case of the wheels, the T500 can produce details that the G27 is incapable of.

I think Thrustmaster is not aggressively pricing the T500 to boost sales because they don't see Fanatec as the threat Fanatec could be. Fanatec wheels are not available in stores, big box stores nor mainstream e-stores. I bought my T500 from Amazon. If I had a Fry's Electronics near me, I could've gotten it out the door at the same price as Amazon. They were going to cut the price. But, It would've cost me $40 in gas to go 140 miles round trip. Versus $3.99 for next day via Amazon Prime.

Which is better, a 2013 Corvette or a 2008? I'd much rather have the current tech. It is more future proof than old tech. Logitech has gotten out of the high end consumer level wheels. Meanwhile, Thrustmaster is still supporting their wheel with firmware updates.

From what I understand, the T500 comes to life in PC games. I don't have a computer than can handle gaming, so cannot testify to this.

Sure my iPhone 3GS works perfectly fine and gets the job done. But the iPhone 5, or even a 4s, would do it so much better! There are games that cannot be played on anything less than an iPhone 4S. Angry Birds Star Wars pushes my aging phone to its limits! Also, iOS 6 is the last operating system that will support the 3Gs. Just relate this to the current wheel (T500) and the aged G27.

There is nothing wrong with the G27. It's a good wheel. But, there is a better wheel on the market. If price is a factor, by all means get the G27. If its not, get the better wheel.

Camry vs Lexus. Ford vs Lincoln. There are reasons why the higher end costs more. In the case of the wheels, the T500 can produce details that the G27 is incapable of.

I think Thrustmaster is not aggressively pricing the T500 to boost sales because they don't see Fanatec as the threat Fanatec could be. Fanatec wheels are not available in stores, big box stores nor mainstream e-stores. I bought my T500 from Amazon. If I had a Fry's Electronics near me, I could've gotten it out the door at the same price as Amazon. They were going to cut the price. But, It would've cost me $40 in gas to go 140 miles round trip. Versus $3.99 for next day via Amazon Prime.

Thrustmaster may not be able to cut their costs as much as can some other companies. That motor alone costs more than an entire cheap wheel for the most part.

Thrustmaster may not be able to cut their costs as much as can some other companies. That motor alone costs more than an entire cheap wheel for the most part.

I used to race RC cars back in the late 80's - early 90's. Modified motors with adjustable armatures were anywhere from $50 to a hundred bucks. Trinity stock motors were about $25. Mabuchi motors that came in the Grasshopper or Frog were garbage.

I used to race RC cars back in the late 80's - early 90's. Modified motors with adjustable armatures were anywhere from $50 to a hundred bucks. Trinity stock motors were about $25. Mabuchi motors that came in the Grasshopper or Frog were garbage.

Yup, lotta motor tech was available then and even more is out today.

I'd love to examine a T500 under the hood, they are interesting.

As does the PSU @ ~$90! I was surprised when I learned that.

Thrustmaster needs better parts like button switches fans etc! Its a great wheel no doubt, iracing is way better with t500 than the g27 imo. Maybe they need better quality control, so the wheels that leave the factory will not have to be repaired with replacement parts they send. Here is an example fanatec has everyone on build quality but their firmware sucks. Thrustmaster has a good motor, and bad switches but good firmware. The g27 could probably outlast both wheels but the firmware is not updated by logitech for new games or games like gran turismo

As does the PSU @ ~$90! I was surprised when I learned that.

Well thankfully external DC power supplies are readily available from a variety of sources. A 24 volt 6.67 amp brick should be available for maybe 20-30% of that price, and likely from the same supplier Thrustmaster uses (Meanwell).

Not me but the same repair. One nice man put on YT video how to swap the steering wheel from GT2 to CRS. It helped me to remove the steering wheel and fix the problem. Parts used in the construction are really low-budget, both Fanatec and Thrustmaster switches are not top shelf. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage (cheap fix, not durable)
I chose T500RS due to the use of thebetter electric motor and power supply.

MicroswichT500RSVsPWTS8Sty2013

Life is funny, I have written about Fanatec PWTS repair. And recently I was able to buy T500RS for the amount 200E, steering wheel was bought with a broken switch gear. I took in for repair, MICROSWITCH was good. There were some tensions plastic parts, after loosening the 6 small screws everything works fine. I decided to take some pictures to compare the size MICROSWITCH because I was very surprised at the difference in size.

Is there anyway to get the gamepad operating on PS3 together with the T500RS? I was trying to get GT5 running with my addon wheel but since I don´t have any buttons on that I didn´t managed to click myself onto the track. the wheel calibrated and all so didn´t seem to need the ps/2 connector to be recognized.

Stupid question with an answer that I'm 99% sure the answer is no: does the T500 work on the PS2? I'm sure it doesn't but just wanted to check if it is recognized as a DFP or something. I'm thinking of picking a PS2 up again now that production is being stopped and still have a DFP but would prefer to not have to pull it out if possible. Thanks.

Stupid question with an answer that I'm 99% sure the answer is no: does the T500 work on the PS2? I'm sure it doesn't but just wanted to check if it is recognized as a DFP or something. I'm thinking of picking a PS2 up again now that production is being stopped and still have a DFP but would prefer to not have to pull it out if possible. Thanks.

When the T500 is fully supported, it will "work", but it won't have FFB. When NASCAR The Game 2011 & Shift 2 first launched, the wheel had no FFB. I'm about 20% sure I tried GT4 on my fat PS3 before it died, there was no FFB.

If you have any extra cash, is consider a refurb G25 for PS2. Considering you have a DFP and how often will you actually use the PS2, is it (G25) worth the cost?

Keep the DFP for PS2 use.

edit
The only benefit with the DFPis 900 wheel rotation in GT4. The older ones (GT3 etc.) don't have that feature. You won't be able to use the clutch or manual shifter of a G25/27. So no further benefit from upgrading the wheel beside better pedals.However I can try it out as I have a PS2 and G27. But I am already 99% sure about what I said.

Last edited:
DFP is 900 degrees from what I recall.

Why spend money on that when you already got a DFP? I wasn´t much impressed with the G25 when I made that move after the DFP. Pedals was the only thing I really liked that was surely a big improvement. But after using clubsports and the T500RS pedals I don´t enjoy them much either.

I would just run abs and be fine with it.

DFP is 900 degrees from what I recall.

Why spend money on that when you already got a DFP? I wasn´t much impressed with the G25 when I made that move after the DFP. Pedals was the only thing I really liked that was surely a big improvement. But after using clubsports and the T500RS pedals I don´t enjoy them much either.

I would just run abs and be fine with it.

agree 👍

Is there anyway to get the gamepad operating on PS3 together with the T500RS? I was trying to get GT5 running with my addon wheel but since I don´t have any buttons on that I didn´t managed to click myself onto the track. the wheel calibrated and all so didn´t seem to need the ps/2 connector to be recognized.

Just hold the PS button on the controller you want to use and reassign it as controller '1' you will then have full use of all the buttons (and mapping of said controller in the options menu ) and full use of the T500 wheel and pedals.

Lol, I wasn't looking to spend money on a G25/27 (I own a G27 but let a friend borrow it) or any other wheel. I was only asking if the T500 would work with PS2 and if not I would then use the DFP I already own.

I should do that before starting GT 5? I did that after and then it wanted me to quit the game.

Don't change it before you start GT5 from the XMB as it won't recognise the T500 as controller #1 even if you change it over in the PS menu (only did this once so can't recall exactly how it went just that the T500 didn't operate properly in game).
I usually load the game, then change the PS controller to controller #1 before entering GT Life. I have been doing this from a few weeks after owning the T500 as the buttons on the GT rim aren't very good quality and I noticed the d-pad was getting loose after just a few weeks of use so just use the PS controller for all menu navigation, and the GT rim buttons for in race adjustments of RA menu and look left/right.

Sorry for the long winded answer 👍

Thanks it appear to be working superbly changing the id for my gamepad to nr 1 before starting GT 5. I did calibrate my brake pedal before just clicking at start for the race which was probably to late. It short calibrated. I assume I have to calibrate the pedals before starting GT5?

I calibrate "in race" when I do it. I don't know if that is normal or not. I just do it once I enter my first track, then don't need to again for the rest of the time playing. Though I have to do it each time I turn the box on and go into the game.

It does this, "half brake thing" and then you hold it where you want it for a moment. It jumps to full brake. Once it does it, it's set. From what I can tell. I am NO expert though on the T500! :D

Back