The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
I know that people have talked about the motor in here before and even posted photos of it. However, I have not seen a photo like this one yet.

I was doing some fiddling with my wheel this evening and had never taken it apart. So I took it apart to get a look inside and was quite surprised by the size of the motor. None of the photos I have seen put it into perspective. So I decided to do so for you all.

(The RS550 in the photo is from an ink jet printer. However it is exactly the same type and size of motor used in all of the Fanatec wheels including the CSW)

Enjoy :) The T500 motor is 3.5 inches long and 2 inches in diameter.

T500_Motor.jpg

I just installed some stiffer springs in my T500 pedals, now I'm not getting full use of them in control panel or in game.

t500controlpanel-2.jpg

I gather the stiffness of the springs are messing with the potentiometers some how :boggled:

It's a shame because the resistance in all three pedals feels fantastic....

I just installed some stiffer springs in my T500 pedals, now I'm not getting full use of them in control panel or in game.

I gather the stiffness of the springs are messing with the potentiometers some how :boggled:

It's a shame because the resistance in all three pedals feels fantastic....

Can you physically still get full travel from them like before ? Doesn't sound right......

I know that people have talked about the motor in here before and even posted photos of it. However, I have not seen a photo like this one yet.

I was doing some fiddling with my wheel this evening and had never taken it apart. So I took it apart to get a look inside and was quite surprised by the size of the motor. None of the photos I have seen put it into perspective. So I decided to do so for you all.

(The RS550 in the photo is from an ink jet printer. However it is exactly the same type and size of motor used in all of the Fanatec wheels including the CSW)

Enjoy :) The T500 motor is 3.5 inches long and 2 inches in diameter.

T500_Motor.jpg

The T500 I had was a beast.......And not once did I need to RMA it

Can you physically still get full travel from them like before ? Doesn't sound right......

I had too unplug power and plug back in for pedals to calibrate again.

Now I have a little deadzone in brake and throttle and have to push really hard to get full travel, clutch is fine btw.

I wonder if you meshed the pedal and pot gears one or two teeth out if it would make a difference. Might get rid of the deadzone , won't help with getting full travel though. They must be heavy springs !

An odd thing with my pots too..... I have found that the nut that retains the pot (behind the gear) needs to be nice and snug otherwise I get spiking. Don't ask me how that is , but I know it works. (not too tight though !)

I wonder if you meshed the pedal and pot gears one or two teeth out if it would make a difference. Might get rid of the deadzone , won't help with getting full travel though. They must be heavy springs !

An odd thing with my pots too..... I have found that the nut that retains the pot (behind the gear) needs to be nice and snug otherwise I get spiking. Don't ask me how that is , but I know it works. (not too tight though !)

I will try a different spring combination 2moz and see how it goes...

Hey guys, i'm having a problem with my right paddle shifter on t500 f1 wheel! Sometimes it shifts up two gears or it wont shift at all. :( anyone have this problem? Oh and the fan is loud when it comes on like a grinding noise!

It's apparently a pretty common thing... :(

I'd like to know if it was addressed in later versions. Can you guys that are having trouble post the versions of the wheels that you have?

The F1 paddle problem is due to the switch......it gives up after x amount of uses. You need to contact support. It's been well covered in this thread.
The fan issue was addressed too, again contact support. Its a quick fix, I did it myself in about ten mins

I tried some less stiffer springs and moved the pot gears back a couple of notches and that solved my deadzone issue.

I will say that the springs I used add more resistance over stock ones of course and That the clutch actually feels close to a real clutch now, can't really say the same for the throttle though. But it's feels better than stock and will do until the Clubsport V2's are cleared of customs.

I tried some less stiffer springs and moved the pot gears back a couple of notches and that solved my deadzone issue.

I will say that the springs I used add more resistance over stock ones of course and That the clutch actually feels close to a real clutch now, can't really say the same for the throttle though. But it's feels better than stock and will do until the Clubsport V2's are cleared of customs.

Good stuff :) I got my new torsion springs out of some spring clamps like these
Spring-Clamp.jpg

The throttle was a bit heavy and took some getting used to but its a good thing in some cars (V8SC iracing for example) haha

Did you buy the CS pedals through Pagnian ?

Good stuff :) I got my new torsion springs out of some spring clamps like these

The throttle was a bit heavy and took some getting used to but its a good thing in some cars (V8SC iracing for example) haha

Did you buy the CS pedals through Pagnian ?

Nah, Fanatec announced on facey other day that first shipments of clubsport products has reached Australia and is waiting to be cleared by customs

what size spring clamps did you use and how did you go about installing them?

It's really trial and error when it comes to finding the right spring for each pedal. The brake pedal is ok stock and I don't like the brake mod that is included, although I have tried the brake mod without the spring and just using the high density foam.

Last edited:
I am unable to resolve a strong wheel vibration, particularly when not moving at idle. Once I get up to speed the vibration rarely appears. Can anyone help me resolve this?

Thanks

I am unable to resolve a strong wheel vibration, particularly when not moving at idle. Once I get up to speed the vibration rarely appears. Can anyone help me resolve this?

Thanks

what game are ya playing? if its iracing try turning down overall FF to 60%.

It's a bug with the stm they know about it and are working on it

I see, thanks. I couldn't find specifics, especially since I've only had the wheel a few days.

I love it in rFactor 1 & 2. I am having issues with GTR2 and th other SimBin titles, except for RaceRoom 2 oddly enough.

Nah, Fanatec announced on facey other day that first shipments of clubsport products has reached Australia and is waiting to be cleared by customs

what size spring clamps did you use and how did you go about installing them?

It's really trial and error when it comes to finding the right spring for each pedal. The brake pedal is ok stock and I don't like the brake mod that is included, although I have tried the brake mod without the spring and just using the high density foam.

Sorry Cliffo , just saw your edit today. The spring clamps had torsion springs in them that were slightly heavier than the original Thrustmasters. (my wheel is a V2) I'm guessing about 10 - 20% thicker that the originals. I'd been all over town looking for replacements for the broken originals and had no luck , barring getting some made at a local springworks. On the drive home , the old light bulb appeared above my head and I pulled into a tool store where they had the ideal sized clamps. About $4 each from memory.

I cut the clamps apart and just used the spring as a replacement part. I had to trim the ends back a bit to match the size of the originals.

I'm still using the rubber pad in my brake pedal , I have trimmed a bit of its bulk away to change the feel and right now its perfect. I looked into a set of CS V2s when they were first released but the price put me off. Now that I have my TM pedals working so well , I am happy to go without the Clubsports (although the bling factor is still there !) :drool:

Ooops! Sorry, I am referring to pCARS.

Its pretty wild huh ! I cant type post race messages when idling because of the violent shaking. I have to remove the keyboard from my rig and type on my lap , the whole rig shakes so much !! Its an awesome display of the power of the T500 , although a little annoying :)

Spinner clubsport pedals in my opinion has no bling over the T500RS pedals at all. CSP v2 need to be a really heavy improvement over the V1s if so. CST on the other hand OMG. They actually managed to go 1 by 1 with my nixim cockpit in amount of steel and quality feel. Well not quite but almost.

I am very hesitant about the CSP being better but it´s one thing have owned one and being able to A and B them properly. Perspective and such change depending on what you have owned and used.

I liked the CSP pedals a lot when I had them however I do feel it´s quite odd that it get some kind of glory status where The T500RS according to some you can quote "I never used put in attic collecting dust". I believe that must be the load cell religion? Heck I could get a complete T500RS for the price of the CSP V2 pedals so it´s not like they are a bargain of a lifetime in comparison.

As for bling factor
Clubsports vs T500RS aluminium vs steel. I take steel :)
As for looks I preferr the T500RS as well. CSPs was a bit to open and loved collecting dust :(

Would love for fun just try the clubsports again. Though it´s more likely I would try some loadcells on my T500RS because it feels better in operation then the club sports which wasn´t as feet friendly. It remind me a bit more of the CST too. Should perhaps not let those pedals go but oh well :)

spinner
Sorry Cliffo , just saw your edit today. The spring clamps had torsion springs in them that were slightly heavier than the original Thrustmasters. (my wheel is a V2) I'm guessing about 10 - 20% thicker that the originals. I'd been all over town looking for replacements for the broken originals and had no luck , barring getting some made at a local springworks. On the drive home , the old light bulb appeared above my head and I pulled into a tool store where they had the ideal sized clamps. About $4 each from memory.

I cut the clamps apart and just used the spring as a replacement part. I had to trim the ends back a bit to match the size of the originals.

I'm still using the rubber pad in my brake pedal , I have trimmed a bit of its bulk away to change the feel and right now its perfect. I looked into a set of CS V2s when they were first released but the price put me off. Now that I have my TM pedals working so well , I am happy to go without the Clubsports (although the bling factor is still there !) :drool:

I might try those clamp springs out, although I will keep experimenting with springs until I get the desired feel and when I do i'll prob stick with the TM pedals over the csp v2's.

Considering the TM pedals only downfall is the pedal resistance and lack of mods.

Thanks

As others said it's a bug but you can sometimes avoid it by shifting into first gear while idling. Just in case you need to get ready and don't want your wheel to rumble all the time. :)

I may as well put it in here I wonder how is the brake resistance on the clubsport V2 brakes versus the T500RS stock or with the realistic brake mod and in the different configurations?

Meaning how stiff brake can I achieve from it or how heavy does it feel in comparison?

Curiosity kills the cat honestly I am quite happy with the T500RS pedals but :)

oqvist
I may as well put it in here I wonder how is the brake resistance on the clubsport V2 brakes versus the T500RS stock or with the realistic brake mod and in the different configurations?

Meaning how stiff brake can I achieve from it or how heavy does it feel in comparison?

Curiosity kills the cat honestly I am quite happy with the T500RS pedals but :)

T500 with mod is more stiff, but with less travel. Clubsports feel much better, more travel and progressive resistance.

Is it considerable lighter? In what configuration is the T500RS the most similar in resistance tweaking the CSP V2 for stiff brake of course.

Back