The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Looks to me like some sorta of custom fan for cooling. The way the sides and back of the wheel are enclosed. They probably new theyd have an issue with that kind of rig design. It looks like its been added to the current wheel though and not a new design.

Looks to me like some sorta of custom fan for cooling. The way the sides and back of the wheel are enclosed. They probably new theyd have an issue with that kind of rig design. It looks like its been added to the current wheel though and not a new design.

Looks like same rig than on E3 GT6 booth:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.633776166650122.1073741836.177715455589531&type=1

941117_633776189983453_454266460_n.jpg

184491_633776246650114_1781979988_n.jpg

7254_633776249983447_1087961487_n.jpg

994803_633776253316780_166348490_n.jpg

983973_633776186650120_2042179253_n.jpg

1012105_633776199983452_335834832_n.jpg

Yes we can see some free area on right side of the cockle for cooling fan.

I'd really like to think I'm looking at a new T500 variant, but when you zoom in on some of those pics it becomes clear that it's really just a stock T500 inserted into the nifty Gran Turismo cockpit:

T500-GT5_zpsd7350972.jpg

If you look, you can clearly see the stock T500 base --- the "new" stuff above the wheel appears to be part of the cockpit, and not part of the wheel base (you can actually see the space between the stock T500 enclosure and the "dashboard" section of the cockpit that sits above the wheel base).

The flat thing on top probably IS an additional cooling fan, to help make up for the cramped airflow around the T500 base inside the enclosure.

Did some more practise with the new GTE 458 wheel, after driving a few thousand km's it felt like their was movement in the steering wheel. So i took it off to take a closer look, only to find out that the adapter (wich is in this case not out off one piece like the F1 wheel) had come loose, after tightening all the screws it looks like this solved the problem for now....

I`m on the market for the new wheel (coming from G27) and I was 100% sure that T500RS is perfect for me. Wanted to have it for GTAcademy/GT6 Demo/GT5 and later for GT6@PS3 (official GT wheel and all of that).
BUT now I`m not so sure, because when I spend so much money on the wheel, I want it to be fully compatible w PS4 and its future racing games.

So e-mailed Thrustmaster with two quick questions and this is what I got:
cs9j.png

Only one of them was (not really) answered.
On TM facebook page I saw one comment regarding them building the new wheel for PS4 but it wasn`t coming from TM rep (just some guy post) so it could be rumor.

So GTA is around the corner and I`m without any wheel and in big doubts considering T500RS purchase. Waiting for PS4&T500RS compatibility clarifications can be half a year long (to PS4 launch) so either I will wait it out (but GTA and GT5 on pad is a no go for me) or buy T500RS and keep my fingers crossed (which is rather stupid looking at all this money).

Any further research on that matter will be MUCH appreciated guys.

Did some more practise with the new GTE 458 wheel, after driving a few thousand km's it felt like their was movement in the steering wheel. So i took it off to take a closer look, only to find out that the adapter (wich is in this case not out off one piece like the F1 wheel) had come loose, after tightening all the screws it looks like this solved the problem for now....

A little bit of Thread locking loctite would stop it coming loose again

A little bit of Thread locking loctite would stop it coming loose again

That is what I did, I have unbolted the whole wheel (6 bolts in front), wich were not tightened at all, and used a little loctite before putting them back in. All looks strong and in place... Thx

I`m on the market for the new wheel (coming from G27) and I was 100% sure that T500RS is perfect for me. Wanted to have it for GTAcademy/GT6 Demo/GT5 and later for GT6@PS3 (official GT wheel and all of that).
BUT now I`m not so sure, because when I spend so much money on the wheel, I want it to be fully compatible w PS4 and its future racing games.

So e-mailed Thrustmaster with two quick questions and this is what I got:

Only one of them was (not really) answered.
On TM facebook page I saw one comment regarding them building the new wheel for PS4 but it wasn`t coming from TM rep (just some guy post) so it could be rumor.

So GTA is around the corner and I`m without any wheel and in big doubts considering T500RS purchase. Waiting for PS4&T500RS compatibility clarifications can be half a year long (to PS4 launch) so either I will wait it out (but GTA and GT5 on pad is a no go for me) or buy T500RS and keep my fingers crossed (which is rather stupid looking at all this money).

Any further research on that matter will be MUCH appreciated guys.

The wheel support in the past gas been done by the game developer on PS3. I'm willing to bet the PS4 won't have any issues if the game developers include it.

It looks like compatibility for all manufacturers is no problem at all on PS4. All they need to do is provide drivers to Sony. As for the XB1, that's still up in the air. I don't see any reason why they couldn't also provide support for existing wheels, it's just likely that they'll need to be plugged in via USB instead of wireless. Since the console has USB ports, obviously it could be made to work. I guess what remains to be seen is whether MS are going to continue along the greedy path they have been or whether Sony pretty much smashing them at E3 will straighten out their attitude.

It looks like compatibility for all manufacturers is no problem at all on PS4. All they need to do is provide drivers to Sony. As for the XB1, that's still up in the air. I don't see any reason why they couldn't also provide support for existing wheels, it's just likely that they'll need to be plugged in via USB instead of wireless. Since the console has USB ports, obviously it could be made to work. I guess what remains to be seen is whether MS are going to continue along the greedy path they have been or whether Sony pretty much smashing them at E3 will straighten out their attitude.

Because the 360's file I/O was encrypted, its USB functionality was limited. eg: Forza Photomode required that you upload the photos, GT Photomode allowed you to transfer photos to thumb drive.

It's never as simple as: "omg omg they both have usb ports so it OBVIOUSLY MUST WORK!!!!!!!"

Because the 360's file I/O was encrypted, its USB functionality was limited. eg: Forza Photomode required that you upload the photos, GT Photomode allowed you to transfer photos to thumb drive.

It's never as simple as: "omg omg they both have usb ports so it OBVIOUSLY MUST WORK!!!!!!!"

Right, because that's exactly what I said? Try stretching things to make me sound a little more idiotic. What I was saying is there is no reason it could NOT be made to work unless MS decides not to let it, smart@ss. The only thing that I'm not sure of regarding the XID/HID debate is whether XID can work over USB without a hardware change on the wheel end of things. I don't think it can. Forgive me for being snappy, I'm in a ****ty mood.

The XBOX & 360 controllers have always essentially been USB, and have always been able to work on PC even, but M$ has always put a security chip in them to render unlicensed controllers inoperative. While the Fanatec wheels ARE licensed, M$'s MO has, and seems to continue to be "New system, new accessories!"

The XBOX & 360 controllers have always essentially been USB, and have always been able to work on PC even, but M$ has always put a security chip in them to render unlicensed controllers inoperative. While the Fanatec wheels ARE licensed, M$'s MO has, and seems to continue to be "New system, new accessories!"

One more reason to loath them. Unfortunately too many people are mesmerized by their marketing blitzkrieg.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say they need to get off the greedy path. You'd think after Somy pretty much announced everything a full 180° to MS's approach (i.e. used games, "always-on" internet that has to be on to play any games, etc.) and got such a positive response it would be at least a little bit of a wake up call, but knowing their past history, it probably won't be. :dunce: :banghead:

the buttons on both rims are kinda hard to reach, there are no easy look left/right buttons like the g25/27...

thought the flappy's on the original rim are great for that when I use h-shifter.

Thanks JogoAsobi, and better price on your link = $119 instead of $129 (I've updated my previous post ;) ).

$119.99 + free shipping from MacMall.
And they have stellar CS...

...the 458 Rim I received last Wednesday had an intermittent issue with the left paddle shifter.
MacMall had a replacement delivered to me 2 days later last Friday, and it shifts purrfectly.

Last edited:
Now also in stock in US:

And STILL no way of getting one in the UK. SIMW appeared to have stock but when I placed an order they said by end of July! All the other European vendors won't ship to the UK.

In fact there is one pathetic way which is to order from Amazon US by courier, which including import duties costs 125 pounds, when it should be about 105 inc. delivery from a European vendor.

Last edited:
How is it? The static paddles bother you? Size difference?

Really considering ordering this wheel.
If I can butt in, I did the paddle mod and took them off. Love the new wheel and the paddle mod!!
Edit: I had an extra paddle set to do the mod on.

How is it? The static paddles bother you? Size difference?

Really considering ordering this wheel.

It's great bro. I used to have the G25 and as someone here said when you try this you can notecably tell the difference. And at this point I can't go back to using a G25 ever again, it just feels so childish now (don't get me wrong the G25 is a fantastic wheel, but the T500 is the boss of it).

Static paddles DEFINITELY bother the hell out of me. If it moved with the wheel it would have been so much nicer. but many people say they got used to it so I think I will too.

overall I'm really liking it. only con for me is the static paddles.
I usually have my TV cranking so I never hear the fan on this wheel :P

edit: and I refuse to buy the 458 GT wheel mainly because I think it looks really ugly.. sure you can always argue the fact that it's all about performance and bla bla, but not to me. If it's sitting right in front of me I want to look at the beauty of the wheel just as much as the performance. now if they bring out the stock 458 wheel hell yeah I'm buying it day 1.

Back