The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
$500? Out of my price range.. I was hoping it would be somewhere between the DFGT and G27 price range. Thrustmaster does make some awesome products, though.

So, with this price things start to make sense. Logitech just released their new high end wheel, the G27, last year. So it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to release a new one so soon. That opened the door for Thrustmaster to come in and make an official high end GT5 wheel.

http://www.fanatec.de

Its 160 and you get:
* Force Feedback racing wheel
* Pedals with clutch
* 6+1 speed shifter

You don't get the clubsport pedals those are like ($150-200). But you do get pedals on the same level as the DFGT and other wheels and it has a clutch.

Nope, it is 160€ for Shifter (6 speed + Reverse), 3 pedal set AND wheel :)

Ok thanks both! One last thing, do you recommend waiting for V2 of it?

NEW version:

Advanced PlayStation 3 compatibility (perfect for GT5)
New electronics with perfect calibration and precision
New Tuning functions
adjustable ABS vibration for all games

I would really like it before January and the price tag of 180€ is slightly higher than the original... :drool:

Holy #%&$

Twitter.. Kaz
$500ぐらい。ハイエンドなものです。RT @tomm_n: @Kaz_Yamauchi , could you tell us in which price range the Thrustmaster T500 RS will fall into? Thanks a lot!

Google Translate
About $ 500. Is a high-end. RT @ tomm_n: @ Kaz_Yamauchi, could you tell us in which price range the Thrustmaster T500 RS will fall into? Thanks a lot!

I have no idea what this wheel could offer that would make it worth $500... I honestly can't imagine they programed clutch and break feedback into the game to feed to a controller even if the controller DID support those features...

16 bit? 65K? thats a freakin screen? Will it have a screen like a proper racecar, with gear change indicaters, digital rev counter?

16 bit is measure of how many bits of accurace something has... it means it can have 2^16 number of values thus around 65k values. It does not have anything to do inherently with a screen. It just so happens in computers things work in bits and powers of two and a common thing to see is 16 bit panel color depth, but there were 16 bit sound cards also and 16 bit memory registers and 16 bit word lengths... you know how windows comes in 32 bit and 64 bit word lengths? That's nothing to do with a screen...

When measuring any variable the number of bits is how much room the computer has to store the value of that variable. 1 bit is 1 space which has two potential values (0 and 1) and is thus 2^1. 8 bit is 8 spaces or 256 potential values and 2^8, 16 bit is 16 spaces each potentially a 1 or a 0 for a total of about 65k combinations.

When dealing with wheel resolution, imagine 4 bit wheel, that is 2^4 or 16 possible values. That means when you turn your wheel right there are only 8 locations at which the wheel registers you turned it more... you would turn it a few inches and it would suddenly register you had turned it a bit, a few more inches and nothing, then bam just far enough and it registers you ahve turned it a bit further now... imagine how crap that would be.

With 16 bits of resolution the wheel can see very tiny changes in wheel position change, which is great for fine control.

That's what the 16 bit and 65k numbers are talking about.

Knew it, a few pages back I was yappin about how if its "better or with better build\materials\technology" it HAS to be more than the G27, lo and behold.

Now let's just hope its features are on par with G27 (separate steel gate shifter(maybe switch for sequential) 3 sturdy NON PLASTIC(500$ here folks) precision pedals , amazing FF etc...it better be for 500$

So what do you guys think is GT5 worth the 500$ wheel? That is if its not compatible with PC(we know its 90% surely not compatible with 360.)

The $500 price tag actually makes me feel happy...

Seeing how all previous GT-branded wheels are low to mid range wheels, I wasn't expecting this new wheel to be any better than G25/G27. Now the $500 price tag suggests that this wheel would be a higher end product than G25/G27, a product category that was previously non-existence for the console market. For the PC market, there is a huge gap between G25/G27 (and the Porsche 911 wheels) and higher-end simulator quality wheels. I suppose this wheel should also work on the PC, and if this is the case then this is a good news for those who want a better wheel than G25/G27, but are not ready to shell out 1-2k for super high-end wheels.

DFGT was aim at the mainstream audience though... hence lower price tag and no clutch/H shifter.

I'm guessing(hope) Kaz figures since DFGT is out for the entry level crowd, this time around something very high end with all the bells and whistles.

wheel available for all budgets.

And I will add but I can't find the quote, He said the DFGT was the Official wheel of prologue.

Ok thanks both! One last thing, do you recommend waiting for V2 of it?

I would really like it before January and the price tag of 180€ is slightly higher than the original... :drool:

The wheel just came out so I am not sure about the V2?? of the Carerra at least the GT3RS V2 just came out you may be confusing this. I would just go for it if you like the package.

The wheel just came out so I am not sure about the V2?? of the Carerra at least the GT3RS V2 just came out you may be confusing this. I would just go for it if you like the package.

Yeah okay I'll consider the price then and look up reviews.. :)
Thanks for everything! 👍

Kaz via Twitter.
ステアリング&パドルシフトだけ。Hパターンのシフターは別売りです。T500RSのポジションは、高品質でプレミアムなステアリングです。
Translate
Steering & shift paddles only. H pattern shifter is sold separately. T500RS position is a high-quality, premium steering.

Sold separately Yikes.

UH OH...SPAGHETTIOS

Kaz's Twitter:

Steering & shift paddles only. Hパターンのシフターは別売りです。 H pattern shifter is sold separately. T500RSのポジションは、高品質でプレミアムなステアリングです。 T500RS position is a high-quality, premium steering. RT @ ether_tsubuyaki : What will be included in the thrustmaster T500? 4 minutes ago via HootSuite RT @ Ether_Tsubuyaki : What Will Be included in the Thrustmaster T500?

Theyt didnt even MENTION pedal set....grim.

$500 for just the wheel then you have to buy the shifter separate? I understand its premium but no way. Thats $500+ that could be going into my real life race car. I'll stick to my DFP.

$500 is too much for a wheel...
The max I can spend on a wheel is $150... $200 if its a really good wheel on sale haha

I can only hope the price tag is a miscommunication or mistranslation. I really need a new wheel, but am hesitant to get a G27 due to some of the issues I've seen people reporting (plus the fact that nobody seems to have the damn things available). I'd love to have it by Christmas, since I have a week off from work and would love to do a bunch of driving; otherwise, I'd probably order a Fanatec, but I don't think it'd get here in time.

I can only hope the price tag is a miscommunication or mistranslation. I really need a new wheel, but am hesitant to get a G27 due to some of the issues I've seen people reporting (plus the fact that nobody seems to have the damn things available). I'd love to have it by Christmas, since I have a week off from work and would love to do a bunch of driving; otherwise, I'd probably order a Fanatec, but I don't think it'd get here in time.

He said $500 in plain English lol

T500RS:「ステアリングホイール、ベースユニット、パドルシフター、3ペダル」が含まれています。

T500RS: "steering wheel, the base unit, paddle shifters, three pedals" are included.

T500RS:「ステアリングホイール、ベースユニット、パドルシフター、3ペダル」が含まれています。

Steering wheel, base unit, paddle shifter, and three pedals are included.

He said $500 in plain English lol

LALALALANOTLISTENINGLALALA! ;)

Yeah, I know his tweet has $500 in it, but like I said, I'm hoping it's a mistake of some kind. I know it probably isn't, though. :(

Guess I need to start researching the Fanatec wheels; I'd like to get one that works on both PC and PS3.

All we need now is bolt holes for wheelstand pro, for those without a playseat. It would be nice if the placement of the holes became standard, but I doubt it!

It sounds like Thrustmaster is going high end again. The HOTAS throttle and stick I used to have from them in the early 90s was military grade stuff. It was very expensive but it was also very well made and damn near bullet proof.

Either way we all win with another quality product on the market. I've got a big decision now. I was trying to decide between a G27 and GT3 now I want to see this.

It sounds like Thrustmaster is going high end again. The HOTAS throttle and stick I used to have from them in the early 90s was military grade stuff. It was very expensive but it was also very well made and damn near bullet proof.

Either way we all win with another quality product on the market. I've got a big decision now. I was trying to decide between a G27 and GT3 now I want to see this.

Am in the same boat.

$500 isn't so bad. Don't forget Kaz lives in Japan, where EVERYTHING is more expensive.

Remember, it's $450 for a G27 there.

Good point, and kinda what I'm hoping is the case. If it's < $100 more than the G27, then it's likely to be a buy (even if I have to get the H-shifter separately).

Of course, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards ordering a Fanatec... Anyone with one of these wheels that wants to share experiences, please PM me--I don't want to hijack this thread (too much).

Damn you Kaz! Daaamn you PD!!! The wheel, apparently, will be great. Greater than my G25 anyway... 500$ does seem a bit steep though, plus the shifter of course, but it might just be reasonable. Maybe some day.

Back