The 'Veyron-rant' rant

Lets be honest, the Veyron was built to prove a point: VAG can afford to lose over 4 million euros, or was it dollars, on a production car, after paying over 50 million for it's R&D.

That said, it IS impressive, and one point that no one's picked up on is the fact that it's got a DCT: Volkswagen are on their 2nd generation DSG, Nissan have DCT and Mitsubishi have their version too, introduced in the GT-R and Evo X Performance Pack respectively, and many other companies haven't got their DCT ready yet, like Ford for example, yet the Veyron has a DSG (which was developed by a seperate team to the normal Volkswagen DSG, so they aren't very similar) which can cope with 1000+bhp, and is as good enough for the Veyron to be regarded as one of the best examples of engineering of recent years.

Basically my point is the Veyron has a very highly-developed transmission, when some of the big names in motoring haven't even got their first iteration of the same type out yet, and when they do it's unlikely that it'll be put to work in the high power cars like Ford's GT, at least not straight away, because to design one to cope with higher loads will take longer.

Did that make sense?

It does its job beautifuly which is to be a hyper car that accelerates faster and has a higher top speed of any road going production car in the world and it certainly does that. I am however left witha slightly sour tatse in my mouth as it does leave me wondering why did they bother if they only made it to proove a point.
The same could be said of any non-homologated racecar. Built to be faster than anything else in its class; not to please the driver, but to win. In other words, to prove a point.

Just like with those racecars, I don't think that diminishes the Veyron's achievements, particularly when you look at the whole package -- apart from the mind-numbing acceleration and record-setting speed, it's also quite comfortable, luxurious (if impractical), safe (much to VW's pride), well-engineered, and can reportedly dispatch corners with much more agility than you'd expect from a car as heavy as it is.

My ford focus is more powerful per litre of egine capacity than a veyron.
Sorry, but specific output (hp/L) is only useful when comparing engines in the same class, built for the same purpose.

Sorry, but specific output (hp/L) is only useful when comparing engines in the same class, built for the same purpose.

his focus probably doesnt have over 250hp either. which it would have to have to have more hp per liter than a veyron.

anyway, i think the veyron is stupid.

Mine does, if you divide it by two :lol:.

the Veyron wasn't built just to be the fastest in a straight line, it was built to be the best hyper car in every way. The ultimate hypercar if you must. It was blindingly fast, it could corner well, it was comfortable and luxurious inside, VAG were so confident of it's reliability they sold it with the same standard VAG warranty that you get with a Golf. Not many supercars have warranties like that.

Anyway fraggle, nice to see another Focus owner on here.

Just my 2c about hp per liter: doesn't mean that much! I agree that reaching an outstanding hp per liter of displacement mark is an archievement. As a good example, take the Honda S2000. The engineers generated 240 horsepower from a 2 liter 4-pot, meaning 120 hp per liter. Projected onto the 7 liter V8 of the Corvette Z06, that'd be 840 horsepower! And it's not even a super- or a hypercar, rather than a sporty convertible many can actually afford. That is an archievement.

However, loads of hp per liter are not necessarily a good thing. There has to be some way to generate that power, and may it be by high compression, high revs or forced induction, you're very likely to increase wear on the engine. Or taken from the other end: the less hp per liter an engine has, the longer it's going to last. Given, that's a very general statement, but it's not really false either. So taking that into account, I actually see the comparatively low hp per liter figure of the Veyron with very little tension.

Cheers
the Interceptor

im just amused that shelby already made a faster car....

im going to be so bold as to add that specfic hp/l output never matters, other than bragging rights.
An S2000 has a great ratio, and a '92 Viper has a poor ratio... and what does it matter when the 8 liter reaches 186mph, and the 2.2l can't pass 165? it's impressive, but it doesnt matter.

im just amused that shelby already made a faster car....
Shelby hasn't made a faster car, SSC has made a faster car but it's certainly not a better car if your talking in terms of what the cars offer. The Veyron's top speed limited electronically anyway so besides the argument of that's what it can do stock, the actual engine and car is capable of going faster 252mph without any increases in power or improvments in aerodynamics.

Shelby hasn't made a faster car, SSC has made a faster car but it's certainly not a better car if your talking in terms of what the cars offer. The Veyron's top speed limited electronically anyway so besides the argument of that's what it can do stock, the actual engine and car is capable of going faster 252mph without any increases in power or improvments in aerodynamics.
In certain terms, he could be speaking about Jerod Shelby instead of SSC. However, I highly doubt that as hardly anyone knows the actual owner's name.

I love the veyron it is a piece of technological brilliance obviously this guy isnt a petrol head probably works for greenpeace or something eco logical like that just becasue it has a w12 engine!!!

First: Interceptor, a very well written argument! I also enjoyed your counterpoint.

I personally am quite split on the issue of the Veyron. I love the brutal over the top well rounded performance of the car, but I also hate how it seems so soul-less.

However if offered it or a Murcielago to keep I would most certainly get the Lambo. Lambos are so violent. <3

no, they aren't actually. The LP640 is quite docile. How do i know? I've actually driven most of todays supercars in anger. It's one thing to read and article written by someone else and speculate, it's another to actually steer and accelerate the thing with your own inputs and feelings.

LP640, Murcielago, Gallardo, F430, 996 and 997 GT2, 996 and 997 GT3, 360 Challenge Stradale......... driven them all in anger. The only one to truly frighten me was the 996 GT2.........

osg
no, they aren't actually. The LP640 is quite docile. How do i know? I've actually driven most of todays supercars in anger. It's one thing to read and article written by someone else and speculate, it's another to actually steer and accelerate the thing with your own inputs and feelings.

LP640, Murcielago, Gallardo, F430, 996 and 997 GT2, 996 and 997 GT3, 360 Challenge Stradale......... driven them all in anger. The only one to truly frighten me was the 996 GT2.........

Sorry, but if all of us could trust you with this information that would be fine. However, in the current world of the interweb you need to prove almost everything you say especially when you say that you've driven all of those cars. I'd appreciate it and so would some others too if you could perhaps show some evidence, like a picture of you driving it or something similar? That would then mean we can take your opinions on board. :)

osg

Bahahahahaha.

I just wet my pants.

Sorry, but if all of us could trust you with this information that would be fine. However, in the current world of the interweb you need to prove almost everything you say especially when you say that you've driven all of those cars. I'd appreciate it and so would some others too if you could perhaps show some evidence, like a picture of you driving it or something similar? That would then mean we can take your opinions on board. :)

**edit**

I have a close friend who currently or has owned all of the cars above and i've been fortunate enough to get time in the seat...... i'm not going to post clips and pics all over the net just to prove a point to people.....but next time i'm out in any of them i'll make sure to post a video of me in the seat..... just to appease the haters and naysayers.

osg

In your opinion. Plenty of other reviews have reported that the LP640 still has the same insanity & craziness the Diablo & the Countach. True, the Murcielago isn't as frightening as the Diablo, but as Clarkson mentioned that the car will bite you if you if you make a mistake. Others have claimed the 997 GT2 was also just as scary as the 996 & 993.

BTW, when you say in anger, do you mean pushing these cars like Clarkson does or just doing drag races down what looked like a public street....

In your opinion. Plenty of other reviews have reported that the LP640 still has the same insanity & craziness the Diablo & the Countach. True, the Murcielago isn't as frightening as the Diablo, but as Clarkson mentioned that the car will bite you if you if you make a mistake. Others have claimed the 997 GT2 was also just as scary as the 996 & 993.

BTW, when you say in anger, do you mean pushing these cars like Clarkson does or just doing drag races down what looked like a public street....

What, going around the top gear track doing lurid powerslides and seeing how fast it goes down the main runway????? hahahaha no....they've all been tracked (here's a clip of the 430 on an outlap a couple of years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRl7qd3NmLU ) , with the exception of the murci and the 640. I'm not about to go and hammer the thing on public roads with all aids off. After all, it's not my car and i don't have $700k + to buy another LP if i lose it.

The 997 obviously now has variable veined turbo's and is much smoother under hard acceleration, and has been further advanced with regards to suspension etc... whereas the 996 would come on boost and tear the road out from under you..... and god help you if the tarmac is not perfect, as you would be picking yourself out of the nearest roadside gully..... so i tend to say that it "feels" safer... but hey i'm no expert.

Look, in the end as you said it my opinion vs any other person who has driven one. Differing driving styles, thoughts and feelings. It doesn't really matter......... all this talk is irrelevant because there will be many who still will sit back and laugh thinking that i've never driven any of the cars.... which they are entitled to do as we don't know anyone on here personally.

Well done you've proved your point! So (Slightly off topic) which was your favourite to drive?

The 430 still has my undying devotion..... .although the 997GT2 is an incredible piece of work. So much power, yet so very driveable.

But hey....this is the Veyron thread...... i personally love it and all that it stands for...... and crikey i'd love to have a crack at one of those one day.

osg
The 430 still has my undying devotion..... .although the 997GT2 is an incredible piece of work. So much power, yet so very driveable.

But hey....this is the Veyron thread...... i personally love it and all that it stands for...... and crikey i'd love to have a crack at one of those one day.

Awesome, thanks for your quick reply. :)

I have posted my feelings on the Veyron, I am just not a fan. As someone else mentioned, it just seems soulless and its something I'd expect from Mercedes, lots of power and luxury but tons of weight and lousy on the track to comparable machines.

I eagerly await the day something enters the league of the McLaren F1. People say you can't compare the two, but they were both built as strictly road cars meant to go super fast and do so in a safe and dependable way. The F1 may not have as much luxury or comfort, but it had a fine cd system, 3 seats, and if Im not mistaken more cargo room (couldnt find it in fact, but the side panels could hold golf clubs, not to mention the large cabin). Not to mention it achieved similar speeds with 4 fewer cylinders, 2 less liters, and was NATURALLY ASPIRATED the way all great cars should be.

It was only after people realized the greatness of the F1 that it was turned into a race car. It then went on to win all those GT series in Europe and Japan, and of course Lemans. So the day the Veyron wins a major racing series is the day it will have my respect. Until then its just a really fast luxury car.

I'm with you on the McLaren F1, I personally think it still is the greatest car of all time. Still, the Veyron is a very impressive piece of kit. But in the end, we define for ourselves what's great and what's not, don't we?

I've read the pages of rants for and against the Veyron with all these other examples of great cars being mentioned (Viper, 996, 997, Murcie, DB9, F360, F430, etc.) and the speeds that they achieve stock and worked. But my one main question stayed unresolved and that is along the lines of the Porsche Carrera GT (anyone remember them or did Veyron fever make everyone forget?).
People keep comparing the GT2's vs the Veyron, but no one made ANY mention of this car vs the Veyron, especially since in a straight line the CG. Now I've seen a nice video of a STOCK Veyron vs STOCK CGT vs an R1 on YouTube, and the acceleration from the CGT being able to keep up with the Veyron in most areas got me questioning how fast the CGT would be if someone was crazy enough to twin turbocharge that?? 5.7L V10 that already has 600hp w/ a pair of snails would give the CGT the same overall power region as the Hennessey, Veyron and other high hp monsters that have been previously mentioned.

iv seen one of these upclose and also on a race track at the melbourne f1. its an impressive machine in my opinion and i like it. If you dont like it or dont understand its price tag, its bloated weight, the fact its not a pure sports car or its ugly looks (that btw are completely unique and have never been even close to attempted by any other car maker) then what you need to do is look into the history of bugatti.

This car is for the super rich, the ppl who can afford anything they want, and i dont mean that lightly, literally anything they want. And when looking at buying this car the other things they are also considering would range from a race horse, a yacht, property, etc. This is not a car, its a symbol and an icon, its stupidly powerful, its never been done before and will likely not be done again.

Great post/thread Interceptor! 👍

Well... it's not that it can't take corners (I like corners, a lot, tight ones), or it can't drift and slide (have to be rich enough to take the chance of switching the ESP off), and it can do track racing, and a bit of power sliding occasionally. But it's not what it was built for. So for me this is just a bit like a private TGV without the rail road. That's what it was built for, and it's unbeatable at it. But that doesn't appeal much to me.

Ugly IMO, and not my kind of super/hyper car... but still pretty impressive! It's a tech marvel, and a great car.

Back