The war on ISIS.

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 3,128 comments
That's an opinion piece by a contributor to Jamal's site. Here's an article on the same site contradicting that view.
So Assad gets his hands on Lebanon, too?
(Heh, so Lebanon has a city named Tripoli, too. Too easy to confuse for Libya :D)

The obvious answer to why some Sunni might continue to work for Assad is money, power and privilege. Makes the world go round.

Here's more on a particular incident.

The article and some of the links in it contain images of the dead.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2013/09/...executions-syrian-forces-al-bayda-and-baniyas
Even if such incident of the civil war had happened (in 2013, by the way), are you so sure that was on Assad's direct order?
If it was, is there a better explanation for this than just "Assad is an evil dictator who hates Sunnis"?
And isn't it weird that the Chechen president, Ramzan Kadyrov, who is a Sunni (like all of Chechnya), offered to send his troops to Syria to help Assad continue his anti-Sunni massacre? I doubt it's all for money, power and privilege.

Putin isn't saying that Assad needs to stay, in fact he's distancing himself from him. Perhaps he has read the links? :D :D
Perhaps you're misunderstanding his stance. Actually, Russia says it is not fighting only to keep Assad in his chair, but to keep Syria existing as a state. The declared goals are:

First, to neutralize the terrorists (ISIS, al-Nusra, Jaysh al-Islam, Ahrar ash-Sham - same 🤬). Everyone who prefers fighting rather than talking must be stopped. By lethal force if it's necessary.
Second, to settle the conflict politically. Let the Syrians decide the destiny of their country by themselves, in conditions when nothing threatens their lives. Run democratic elections, where Syrians (not Americans/Russians/Saudis/Iranians/anyone else) will choose who they want to see as their president.

If you say Assad must be immediately ousted by force, then I'll have to say that your view has nothing to do with supporting democracy.

I'm not the UN, the people on the other end of the link are. Did you bother to read any of the statements or do the facts as presented there simply disagree with your view?

Yes, if I understand you correctly, it was me you were replying to when you said...

...but still you seemingly can't answer who is doing the replacing or who they're talking about? Blimey.

You seem to be apologist on behalf of Assad's regime, my own impression is that you either think that because there's more than one set of "baddies" in the area that somehow Assad must be a good guy or you simply like his style.

UN depositions aren't fact enough for you? You either didn't read them properly or you refuse to accept them, which is it?

It's the consensus of the world powers, it seems, that Assad should not continue to hold government. Even Putin doesn't think he needs to stay.
Since you can't be bothered to point out where exactly it's stating that Assad is guilty of ethnic cleansing, I know have to through your links that link to uhm.. more links. The first pdf file I opened containing 21 pages and the second having more than a 100 pages.

Haven't clicked the others yet but I Wil have a full response to the links you have given. Or maybe I will just respond with posting more links :)

I'm going to stick with your claim about ethnic cleansing and will ignore your ridiculous assumption s of me supporting Assad.

Last edited:
If you say Assad must be immediately ousted by force, then I'll have to say that your view has nothing to do with supporting democracy.

Thankfully a lot of European politicians see now that Assad isn't the main issue anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised that when the Allah snackbar tirade is over, they might actually will start talks with Assad to see if there's a democratic future.

So Assad gets his hands on Lebanon, too?

The article is actually about the crossover of the two, I was pointing out the disparity between the contributions to that collator.

Actually, Russia says it is not fighting only to keep Assad in his chair, but to keep Syria existing as a state. The declared goals are:

First, to neutralize the terrorists (ISIS, al-Nusra, Jaysh al-Islam, Ahrar ash-Sham - same 🤬). Everyone who prefers fighting rather than talking must be stopped. By lethal force if it's necessary.
Second, to settle the conflict politically. Let the Syrians decide the destiny of their country by themselves, in conditions when nothing threatens their lives. Run democratic elections, where Syrians (not Americans/Russians/Saudis/Iranians/anyone else) will choose who they want to see as their president.

Yes, as I said earlier the Russians don't feel that keeping Assad is a necessity. That represents a recent turnaround in their outlook, it seems, but that's where they stand.

I don't, but sanctions (as ever) seem to hurt the grass-roots more than the top of the tree. If Assad were ousted in order that democratic elections could prevail then that has to be a good thing though, surely?

Thankfully a lot of European politicians see now that Assad isn't the main issue anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised that when the Allah snackbar tirade is over, they might actually will start talks with Assad to see if there's a democratic future.

What will change from the last 5 years of talks and sanctions? Assad isn't interested in a democracy, it seems.

What will change from the last 5 years of talks and sanctions? Assad isn't interested in a democracy, it seems.

When was the last time that a forceful removal of a leader in the Middle East successful?

The West should stop with the attempts of changing the world with force. All it does is leave a vacuum for idiots to rise to 'power' with all the horrible consequences that come along with it.

When was the last time that a forceful removal of a leader in the Middle East successful?

The West should stop with the attempts of changing the world with force. All it does is leave a vacuum for idiots to rise to 'power' with all the horrible consequences that come along with it.

I can count the successes on the fingers of no hands. He has to be persuaded to move on, perhaps to a profitable after-dinner speaking circuit like other ex-leaders involved in Gulf wars :D

Assad isn't interested in a democracy, it seems.

Of course he isn't. He's interested in protecting minorities from the majority Sunnis, and promoting some secularism in the face of pervasive ultraconservative religous orthodoxy. He's a Baathist and a comparative social liberal.

Assad isn't interested in a democracy, it seems.

Perhaps so. But I think its more important to know what political system the people there are interested in. Democracy or not. If the people and then Assad don't want a democratic system, who is to interfere? Perhaps they want Communism, theocratic (probably Sharia or w/e), religious democracy (as in Iran). W/e the case may be as long as the people living there are okay with it. It should be of no one else' concern imo.

Perhaps they want Communism, theocratic (probably Sharia or w/e), religious democracy (as in Iran).
Democracy in Iran is a joke. The Supreme leader in Iran isn't electable, and he has a branch of the armed forces that answer only to him. Not only that, the supreme leader can overrule any law passed by the President of Iran and even declare an election invalid, claiming religious reasons.

Basically the set up that they have in Iran is the closest anyone in that region (with the exception of Israel) is willing to go with democracy. This is something that Obama doesn't understand, but the region needs strong men to strong arm the people and protect the minority. If war crimes, true war crimes mind you, are committed, obviously go after them, but don't go and stir up the pot and get the leaders to react the way that you want them to (surpessing a rebellion) and then claim war crimes to protect the actual criminals here.

The PKK have stated that they will pick up their arms again, because of the war talk the APK keeps on spewing, and the military campaign that Turkey is still waging against the Kurds.

Civil war in Turkey imminent?

The PKK have stated that they will pick up their arms again, because of the war talk the APK keeps on spewing, and the military campaign that Turkey is still waging against the Kurds.

Civil war in Turkey imminent?
Clearly no two time thieves in the PKK.

I am not going to post a link as it is absolutely vile. However, ISIS have changed their executions.

The latest one was not hung, shot or beheaded. He was tied up and run over by a tank. Assuming the video wasn't fake.

Yes, as I said earlier the Russians don't feel that keeping Assad is a necessity. That represents a recent turnaround in their outlook, it seems, but that's where they stand.
I don't see any turnaround, because backing Assad, who is currently the legit leader of the state, is not opposite to keeping Syria existing as a state, regardless of who's going to be the leader after the war is over and conflict gets settled.
I don't, but sanctions (as ever) seem to hurt the grass-roots more than the top of the tree. If Assad were ousted in order that democratic elections could prevail then that has to be a good thing though, surely?
Do you care about ousting Assad rather than letting the Syrians choose their president?

Say, if Assad happened to win fair elections held when the war ends, would you still say "This is undemocratic! He's a dictator, he must be ousted!"?

Last edited:
I am not going to post a link as it is absolutely vile. However, ISIS have changed their executions.

The latest one was not hung, shot or beheaded. He was tied up and run over by a tank. Assuming the video wasn't fake.

Their tatics are becoming increasingly more seemingly thought up by demented 16 year olds.

Their tatics are becoming increasingly more seemingly thought up by demented 16 year olds.
Perhaps, their previous movie director is on a vacation with 72 virgins?..

Meanwhile, the SAA has deblocked the Kuwayres airbase that was sieged by ISIS for over two years.
5v7fEAZNa3E.jpg

dxPoy98Yj-Q.jpg

OJao-nyozfc.jpg

bGNsSvy99p8.jpg

Also:

Hmm... That's a T-90A, no ****. :odd:

I see where you're coming from but then I wonder; if I agree then doesn't that make me as bad as Jihadi John?

Pigs like that deserve to die horribly. There is no shame in thinking that.

He doesn't deserve a trial, as locking him up will only cost more money and the chance for him to influence other people for his twisted cause. Full dismemberment by Tomahawk Missile is the best way to go.

Makes sense, I tend to agree. Martyrs are far more dangerous than prisoners.

I see where you're coming from but then I wonder; if I agree then doesn't that make me as bad as Jihadi John?
I don't see a martyr in this case, just another dead murderer and terrorist. Good riddance, much better dead than alive.

It would be interesting to know if Jihadi John actually ever used that knife he waved about, or if he was only an actor in a propaganda video.

I don't mind him being murdered, since he apparently was only a traitorous Englishman. On the other hand, if he were an American citizen, he should not be put to death by his government without a legally compelling reason.

Enemy combatants who pose an imminent threat to innocent lives run the risk of being killed on the battlefield... and ISIS choose to make everywhere a battlefield, and put everyone (combatant or not) at risk of dying horribly if they don't kowtow to their perverse and morally bankrupt doctrine.

There is no point in trying to bring people like Jihadi John to trial - his guilt is already well beyond any doubt anyway, but even if it were not, he's put himself in the company and position where he can justifiably be taken out.

Back