The war on ISIS.

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 3,128 comments
I was referring mostly to the Salafi movement, that is what I should have emphasised in the first place, I guess it was my mistake for not pointing that out during the first example.

Not a problem, we all make mistakes ^^
Though, I know a couple of people who are from the 'Salafi' side of Islam, and to be quite honest they are a little more 'hardline' in some ways but I honestly would not see them ever condone killing someone for insulting Islam. The reason I say this is because in the Qu'ran itself says:
"The Servants of the Lord of Mercy are those who walk humbly on Earth, and who, when the foolish address them, reply 'Peace'"

And

"Call people to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good teaching, and argue with them in the most courteous way"

i.e. Either you ignore those by being ending a conversation with peace, or if you can debate with them (and this includes matters of Islam itself) if you have enough knowledge.

Anyway, like @Dennisch said, I think we should move on from this to perhaps more current matters, but again I thank you for the explanation you were giving to the best of your ability ^^

But, for European tourists, no more drunk Russians in the All-in Resorts! :P
Russian popular resorts list:

1. Egypt
2. Crimea
(blacked out)
3. Turkey
4. Stay home and don't 🤬 around.

Actually, drunk Russians will just switch to European resorts. Like Montenegro (not yet EU/Schengen so visa-free for Russia), Greece, and, of course, Italy (fear of ISIS? Come on, the Mafia will blast any Daesh quickly :D).

So, Europeans won't be seeing any drunk Russians in Turkey anymore, but will see them in the homeland. :P
However, it'll be more expensive then Turkey, so the number will be smaller.

Just came by this video I haven't seen before.. It's 2 (?) years old.

And this is supposed to be the aircraft in the video
FOREIGN201510271731000193089880543.jpg

@Carlos, it's plausible, the pilot would have a chance of getting to ground if a) The rotors were intact and b) they were still freely rotating. Having the starboard engine working might help depending on the state of the gearboxes... in this case I suspect they'd be shattered.

So, now that that is over, back to the business of the day. Nope.

Russia is busy banning everything Turkish with a bunch of economical sanctions.

Certain Turkish goods can no longer be imported, or are heavily restricted.
Turkish companies are restricted in their business in Russia.
Russian tour operators are no longer allowed to sell trips to Turkey, and charter flights are suspended from and to Turkey.

The Turks also will need a Visa to enter Russia, starting January 1st.

Seeing that Turkey is a popular holiday destination for the Russians, this will hurt the tourism sector deeply.

But, for European tourists, no more drunk Russians in the All-in Resorts! :P

Russian football clubs banned from signing Turkish players

I mean, you can look at it as "Oh, it's only football" but looking at the cold, hard facts it's the state limiting private enterprises whom they can hire.

Surely Libya would be easier for us to beat them? My worries are over the poor Libyans who are already not in a great state as it is...

Less spreading, more moving? Force it out one area, it seeps to another?
Well yes, meaning this war on IS could last for decades as these extremists will pop up in many countries, trying to reinstate the middle ages and hatred for the west.

Surely Libya would be easier for us to beat them? My worries are over the poor Libyans who are already not in a great state as it is...
One would almost think people in those countries were better off under the rule of their former dictators... It will be important to not wait this time and act immediately, unlike what happened in Iraq and Syria.

Well yes, meaning this war on IS could last for decades as these extremists will pop up in many countries, trying to reinstate the middle ages and hatred for the west.

One would almost think people in those countries were better off under the rule of their former dictators...
Its interesting seeing which IS regards as enemies. Most will approach to the "West" which obviously means USA and EU. But these guys just hates everyone. Russia, China, Iran, Japan, etc even Al Qaeda.

Its interesting seeing which IS regards as enemies. Most will approach to the "West" which obviously means USA and EU. But these guys just hates everyone. Russia, China, Iran, Japan, etc even Al Qaeda.
One things for sure, we will all have to join forces militarily to get rid of them as fast as possible. And hopefully with armies commanded by capable people and not populists. That will be the tricky part as IS is trying to provoke heavy bombings in order to demonstrate it's a war against Muslims.

Russian football clubs banned from signing Turkish players

I mean, you can look at it as "Oh, it's only football" but looking at the cold, hard facts it's the state limiting private enterprises whom they can hire.
Would that not be political interference by a government in the running of football? And that would be grounds for suspension from FIFA (assuming it still exists), which would bar them from holding the 2018 World Cup...

Would that not be political interference by a government in the running of football? And that would be grounds for suspension from FIFA (assuming it still exists), which would bar them from holding the 2018 World Cup...

That. Would. Be. Hilarious.

Edit.

Putin is putin some oil on the fire.

He claims that Turkey shot down the plane because Turkey wants to keep the steady flow of Daesh oil slithering into Turkey.

He claims that Turkey shot down the plane because Turkey wants to keep the steady flow of Daesh oil slithering into Turkey.
Could be no? It sure was strange how fast they pulled the trigger whilst that jet barely crossed the border.
I wouldn't know though :P

Continuing on the Russia v Turkey conflict.

The Major of Gent, Belgium didn't want any fans from Zenit St. Petersburg coming to the Champions League game next week, because of the large Turkish community in his city. Zenit demanded that the game should be played on neutral playground.

Today the major announced that the fans are welcome.

Riots. I smell riots.

Edit.

Putin claims that he has proof that Turkey is buying cheap oil from Daesh.
If that really is the case the EU and NATO should reconsider their partnership with the Turks.

Last edited:
If Russia is fighting ALL anti-government forces in Syria, why won't they just say so? I keep hearing that they are fighting "ISIS (terrorist group that is banned in Russia)" and they say that they know that Turkey is buying cheap oil from ISIS controlled territories. BUT. The incident happened very far away from ISIS positions (according to the maps)
The border between these countries is long, but the incident happened right there, where there's a "finger" protruding... so the Su-24 was bombing ISIS oil tankers that were driving through the rebel controlled grounds towards Russian bases and right next to Syrian government forces? (I couldn't find a newer map though)
3b2cac37146695351730333a5f28d553.JPG

Also, no way there was only one Su-24 that day. Planes supposed to fly in pairs. Turkish radar data shows two trajectories.

Last edited:
Which I am sure England would gladly step in to host :P

There are so many rumours about Turkey buying that oil.

Smoke---->fire.
Erdogan says he will resign if it is proven that he has bought ISIS oil.
Off to get a bucket of salt, so we can all take a grain or two.

If Russia is fighting ALL anti-government forces in Syria, why won't they just say so? I keep hearing that they are fighting "ISIS (terrorist group that is banned in Russia)"
I think it's just easier to explain to an average Russian news reader/watcher. And, anyway, no one would care whether it's ISIS or Jaysh al-Islam, Ahrar ash-Sham, Jabhat al-Nusra or any other "Mujaheeden Liberation Front of Islamic Islam".

The US is beginning to put real pressure on Turkey to close the border.
The US suspects Turkey of supporting ISIS. But Turkey has its reasons for doing so.
"US officials are quoted as saying that there could be “significant blowback” against Turkey by European states if it allows Isis militants to cross from Syria into Turkey and then carry out terrorist outrages in Europe."
All according to this article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-stretch-of-frontier-with-syria-a6753836.html

24-Graphic-Supply-Line-Turkey's-Border.jpg

The UK government will vote on extending bombing into Syria later today - the Commons debate started half an hour ago and is on live on BBC Parliament. I'm not able to watch it, but I'm keeping tabs on what is going on.

Just two years ago, the Commons voted on whether to bomb the Assad regime in Syria - now they're voting on whether to bomb the other side.

The UK government will vote on extending bombing into Syria later today - the Commons debate started half an hour ago and is on live on BBC Parliament. I'm not able to watch it, but I'm keeping tabs on what is going on.

It's a blue-wash. With Cameron's comments yesterday that those who oppose him are "a bunch of terrorist sympathisers" he's ensured that every opposition question is a demand to withdraw that comment rather than an argument against his motion.

The blues are offering up their usual toady pseudo-questions and all the House seems to have achieved so far is a nod-through for referring to ISIL as Da'esh from hereon in.

One thing I'll say it's that it's a masterclass in controlling the benches on a day of a 3-line whip, sickening and fascinating all at once.

I can understand why the opposition are demanding an apology, but given the brevity of the debate and the seriousness of it, I can't believe that the opposition are more concerned about their hurt feelings than contributing to a serious argument against airstrikes.

A little more meat on the opposition questions now, specifically;

* Who makes up the 70,000 ground troops that we can expect support from? We're told that the figure excludes extremist parts of FSA with whom we wouldn't work. We're also told that admittedly the 70,000 troops are "less than ideal" but that we are "already working with them". PMCs with good British accents, no doubt.

* Will we intervene when Da'esh attack Assad? We will, apparently, Russia has agreed to do so alongside America and the other allies. This is the closest we got to seeing the agenda on ending Assad's "regime of brutality".

* What is the plan to fill the inevitable vacuum in Raqqa et al post-Da'esh? Ah, umm, well, err, it will take a long time but we must protect Iraq and our Allies, umm, err, etc etc

* Will the Prime Minister retract his "bunch of terrorist sympathisers" comments? Never, it seems :)

EDIT: Just noticed there's a live news feed at the Beeb, might be less ball-curdling than watching Cameron make words out loud. BBC.

Latest Posts

Back