The World's Best Car

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 218 comments

VOTE For World's Best Car

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have no love for the car at all, but I think the 911 probably deserves it.

It has survived for decades in a form recognisable as the original and manages to do nearly everything almost as well as the class leader in each area (in the areas where it isn't the class leader itself). Countless motorsport victories and a true "world" car - where the Corvette, pleasant though it is, you would have to admit is predominantly a US-only car.

Similar things can be said of the much-cheaper Mini and MX-5, but the Mini was never very successful in the US, belonging to a market which didn't exist there and the MX-5, while one of the most brilliant road cars ever created (through simplicity and reliability) has never really made a splash in the motorsport world - outside of amateur track and trials events.

I suppose the difference is that all women love the cutesy Mini and MX-5, whereas the been-there, seen-it, done-that 911 appeals across the band. Except to me, as I think they're soulless and built with as much passion as you'd sweep a floor with. But it probably deserves it.

there are some stone stupid people in this world.

and there are a lot of people on this board who couldnt argue thier way out of a paper hat.

im not going to bother saying anything other than what ive already said.

^ Good post there (@ Famine), as I for the most part agree. It would seem as though the downfall of the Corvette is that it has never offically been sold worldwide, although through imports, they have gone all over the world.

I think if we were to discuss overall "appeal" to most people, the Mazda would certainly take the cake. Of course most guys would probably scoff at the car and write it off as something that a lady would drive, but true fans of the automobile know to appreciate cars like the MX-5.

The Mini, however, sits in a strange spot. Although they were sold in the US for quite some time, they never went over all that well due to the RHD configuration, small size, and low power. Of course fans of the car still call it the best thing since sliced bread, and I would still place it as one of the best British cars, but in America it just wouldn't fly.

---

If I may for a moment go on a small rant, I'm a bit confused by the lack of "presence" of the Corvette in the European market. While it certainly is my understanding that the car was not sold in "high" numbers in Europe untill recently, they have been racing in Europe since the late 1950s. Added to that, they have been touring in GT classes around the world as well, so what isn't there to know? It may be rare as a street car, but as far as racing goes, it is something even your Grandparents should know about...

I attempted to read through the German Wiki on the Vette, and although it is quite complete, it really didn't point out how many (if any) of the older models made their way to Europe. So if the Germans know, why wouldn't anyone else?

[/rant]

Okay...

If I may for a moment go on a small rant, I'm a bit confused by the lack of "presence" of the Corvette in the European market. While it certainly is my understanding that the car was not sold in "high" numbers in Europe untill recently, they have been racing in Europe since the late 1950s. Added to that, they have been touring in GT classes around the world as well, so what isn't there to know? It may be rare as a street car, but as far as racing goes, it is something even your Grandparents should know about...

I attempted to read through the German Wiki on the Vette, and although it is quite complete, it really didn't point out how many (if any) of the older models made their way to Europe. So if the Germans know, why wouldn't anyone else?

[/rant]

Okay...

Why? Because the Germans wouldn't mind a LHD car...

Chevrolet sold EIGHT C5 Corvettes in the UK in the whole of 2001. Eight.

As for racing... yeah, but the major televised motorsports in the UK are British Touring Cars, Formula 1, the World Rally Championships and some motorbikes every now and then, and it's been like that since the 60s. Terrestrial TV channels (the ones most people get) won't show a Corvette EVER, because they just don't cover events Corvettes are in. Most people who like motorsports will see maybe 9 televised races a year with a Corvette in, one of which being Le Mans (the others being ALMS and maybe World Touring Cars). And even then we're cheering on the Astons, so we see the Corvette as "the baddie"...

It just doesn't... register to us.

Its completely understandable, and I really don't have a problem with it. You show the average American a picture of an Aston Martin V8 Vantage and they are likely to tell you its a Ferrari.

I just thought it was odd, thats all. There are plenty of cars that I'm sure are as common as cattle in Europe that many of US have no idea about, and thats allright. I'm sure every American SHOULD know what a TVR Tuscan is, but there are plenty of us who don't.

---

Either way, if there was ever a car I'd want to beat the Corvette, it would certainly be a 911 (or maybe an Aston)...

Show us lot pictures of Corvettes and throw an El Camino in and I'd bet few people would notice.

But we'd be able to tell you which engine is in that Jaguar Mark X by the shape of the indicator bulbs... :lol:

And kyle's fag-packet calculations which put the realistic wage required to afford these payments at 20% higher than your national average wage?

Simply shows why the Corvette isn't as popular as more affordable vehicles.

Not to pick on a fellow American, but dude, you totally fell into a European stereotype of Americans. Straightline acceleration, although extremely important to Americans, doesn't count for jack in Europe, so prepare yourself for the flames!

Actually Im surprised I haven't been quoted yet...

Yes I'm American and yes I love straight line speed. I have grown up seeing corvettes everyday on the roads and loving them.

One more thing I was thinking of taking the 911 vs. Z06. The Z06 costs at least $30,000 (correct me if wrong) less than the 911. The 30,000 that you save buying the Z06 could go into performance modifications. Now I don't know everything thats available for the Z06, but I know you can get a supercharger for them...

Actually Im surprised I haven't been quoted yet...

Yes I'm American and yes I love straight line speed. I have grown up seeing corvettes everyday on the roads and loving them.

One more thing I was thinking of taking the 911 vs. Z06. The Z06 costs at least $30,000 (correct me if wrong) less than the 911. The 30,000 that you save buying the Z06 could go into performance modifications. Now I don't know everything thats available for the Z06, but I know you can get a supercharger for them...

That reminds me of a reader letter I found in the latest Road & Track. It refers to the WRX and Evo rather than the 'Vette, but the point remains the same:

Diego Betancourt from Ashland
I can't count the number of times someone has told me that Porsches are overpriced and slower in 0-60 than a Subaru WRX or a Mitsubishi Evo. It's usually the younger guys. I ask them if they have driven a Porsche; most answer "no." Then I explain that it's not always about speed. Most of us don't spend our days doing 0-60 or driving around racetracks. Then I ask, "If money was no object, would you choose the Subaru, Mitsubishi, or the Porsche?" The answer is almost always "the Porsche." When someone doesn't choose the Porsche, I can tell by their body language they are not being truthful. Keep up the comparisons, but Porsche rules. If you own one, you know why.

Good point with what that dude said!

But then again, there are more than enough people who rip on Corvettes that haven't driven them either...

I think both Car and Driver and Motor Trend, along with any other major automotive publication worldwide would happily point out that the Porsche 911 and Chevrolet Corvette are argueably two of the best cars sold anywhere in the world today. Although it is debateable as to which one is the best, hence the reason why we are debating it, it is a compliment to both that they are mentioned together, as they are both awesome cars.

I think the guy was referring more to the "magic" that Porsches possess, rather than the simple fact that most naysayers haven't had a go behind the wheel.

Anyway, the 911 and Corvette have always been compared to each other since 1964. They're considered by many to be the best (sports)car that their respective countries have to offer (and apparently we here at GTP agree), and they each have their advantages and disadvantages when compared with each other, with the 'Vette having a consistent edge in acceleration and price, and the 911 having a consistent edge in handling and fit/finish.

Even though I'm an ardent German car fan and immediately voted for the 911 as soon as I saw the poll, I still have lots of respect for the Corvette. I like to think of it as "the muscle car that can actually handle well."

You're forgetting about the Cobra as the other "Muscle Car that Handeled Well," lol.

To be honest for a moment:

I was actually quite surprised that the Bugatti Veyron hasn't become the car that everyone is talking about. Given how big of a controversy it was in the French Car thread, I was certain it was going to be a contender here...

Added to that, the support for some of the other models seems to be quite low as well. Oh well, you can't have "balance" in a democracy anyway, as there will always be a winner.

The Veyron, though awesome, is just...too awesome. It's too fast, it handles too well, it's too big, too heavy, too luxurious, too expensive, too reliable, too safe, and too easy-to-use. Although my opinion on this may change with time, as I see it now it's devoid of any personality.

The same goes with the CC, albeit to a lesser extent. The CC has more of a personality than the Veyron, but it's still just a supercar. I'd be very disappointed if it won this poll, just like how I was very disappointed that it won the Swedish poll.

Nor did he sell a tenth as many vehicles as Ford's pinnacle of automotive engineering. Sorry - not buying it.
So, I'd like you to explain to me why that nullifies Oldmobiles 7 year lead in doing something Ford is always accredited to. Just because they didn't sell 17 million Curved Dash's does not mean they were not the first cheap, affordable car by a very wide margin.

Well, for me the most important factor in buying a car is the straight line acceleration. The 911 does handle better than the Z06, but in day to day driving that wouldn't matter. At least for me, day to day I have no chance to take a turn at 60mph in a 911.

Do you live next to a very long road with no corners or something?

I do however have the chance everyday to floor it off a stoplight. So for me the Z06 would be a way better choice. Not to mention getting to destroy any car that challenges me. The Z06 also costs way less than a 911, has a bigger trunk, and has the most important aspect "for me" in cars...a V8.

If that's the most important aspect "for you" why didn't you vote for the Koenigsegg CC? - it has a US sourced V8 and would annialate the Z06 in every performance respect.

- The Corvette gets better fuel economy (I've seen 30 MPG on the highway, thats about 36 British Gallons)
I haven't seen a single UK or European test for that matter where the Corvette has managed over 20mpg, not the Z06 and not the normal C6.

But, of course, much of that only pertains to Corvettes in the US and not worldwide...
Which is exactley why imo it can't possibly be the best car in the world, best in America possibly but if it's only great in America can it really be the worlds best car.

TheCracker

In America? Quite possibly. See below.

Straightline acceleration, although extremely important to Americans, doesn't count for jack in Europe

Which is why the 'Vette has done so well in America, and less so in Europe. When I first saw a few satallite pictures of some American cities, I was very suprised at just how ruler-straight the roads are, especially when compared to European cities and the roads I'm used to.

A few streetmap examples:

Chicago
Los Angeles
Miami

London
Paris
Rome

If straightline speed is V8 Power's thing, then I reckon that's fair enough. The maps show just why the Corvette has done so well in America, whereas the 911 has global appeal - striaght-line speed is fairly easy to get into a car, but good handling is a lot trickier, and if you don't need good handling (such as when you're only going around 90 degree corners) then there's no incentive to provide it. Of course, now the C6 has come along and provided handling with the speed, the Corvette has taken off a bit more in Europe.

YSSMAN
Of course fans of the car still call it the best thing since sliced bread

I wouldn't go that far :) But for fun on a budget, it's just what I'm after.

FOR WHO??? $60,000 for a new car is most certainly NOT affordable to the common man. Of the several hundred cars I've seen today on the street and in parking lots, exactly one was worth more than $60,000. You must have some bizzare standard for affordability.

If you think "relative to its competition" is a bizarre standard for affordability, then does that mean you've got a certain price set for what is "affordable" and what is "not affordable"? Since the answer to that question must be yes, what exactly is that price?

If you think "relative to its competition" is a bizarre standard for affordability, then does that mean you've got a certain price set for what is "affordable" and what is "not affordable"? Since the answer to that question must be yes, what exactly is that price?

How about relatively in general?

If people could afford these, why would they be pootling around in Malibus and whatever the crapboxes are over there?

Not to pick on a fellow American, but dude, you totally fell into a European stereotype of Americans. Straightline acceleration, although extremely important to Americans, doesn't count for jack in Europe, so prepare yourself for the flames!

But you are right on a few things there:

- The Corvette is cheaper
- The Corvette is faster (in a straight line, some tracks as well [depends on model])
- The Corvette has a larger trunk (particularly the hardtops)
- The Corvette gets better fuel economy (I've seen 30 MPG on the highway, thats about 36 British Gallons)
- The Corvette is cheaper to insure

But, of course, much of that only pertains to Corvettes in the US and not worldwide...

- The corvette gets better highway fuel economy, but worse city economy
- The 911 would probably be cheaper to insure outside of the USA
- The 911 will hold its value much better

How about relatively in general?

If people could afford these, why would they be pootling around in Malibus and whatever the crapboxes are over there?
Maybe they don't want the drastic step down in interior quality that comes with changing from a Malibu to a Corvette. :D

Maybe they don't want the drastic step down in interior quality that comes with changing from a Malibu to a Corvette. :D

Don't be silly, we all know that there's no difference between the interiors of the Malibu and the Corvette. :lol:

I haven't seen a single UK or European test for that matter where the Corvette has managed over 20mpg, not the Z06 and not the normal C6.

Well Popular Mechanics (a magazine that focuses on anything mechanical and has zero bias twords any car) did a test where they drove a Z06 from the east coast to the west coast of the United States. It got 28mpg. Find me another car that has a 7.0L V8 and gets 28 mpg.

If that's the most important aspect "for you" why didn't you vote for the Koenigsegg CC? - it has a US sourced V8 and would annialate the Z06 in every performance respect.

Yes the only turns I make day to day are at stoplights. Straight line speed is all that matters for me. However if I did ever need to make a turn at high speed, I'm sure the CORVETTES 1.01 G SKIDPAD would hold me down fine.

The Koenigsegg CC?? Well lets see it looks like crap, is not American at all, is probably much more money than a Z06. That sums that up.

Well Popular Mechanics (a magazine that focuses on anything mechanical and has zero bias twords any car) did a test where they drove a Z06 from the east coast to the west coast of the United States. It got 28mpg. Find me another car that has a 7.0L V8 and gets 28 mpg.
And as I said, that's a figure that not a single test in the UK has managed to duplicate or even come close to, no magazine has recorded 20mpg or over for any of the Covette range, I can show you plenty of big V8 engined cars that can average over 20mpg that have recorded it over here.

As for the CC, you said the most important aspect was the speed and the V8, the CC has an American V8 and it beats the Z06 performance wise. The fact your picking the Corvette partly because it is American shows an element of bias in your choice. The only real valid point against the CC you made is the price, it is expensive, very expensive.

I chose the Porsche, out of a crappy selection.
a ****** hyundai? worlds best car?!?!?!?
are you guys on crack?
The Porsche has at least par with the Vette in straight-line, with the exception of brand-new Z06's, but frankly, over the past however long, the Porsche will typically beat it in every performance catagory.

You do realise that it's the winners from each country all put in the poll don't you? What other Korean car would you have put in, a Kia.

And as I said, that's a figure that not a single test in the UK has managed to duplicate or even come close to, no magazine has recorded 20mpg or over for any of the Covette range, I can show you plenty of big V8 engined cars that can average over 20mpg that have recorded it over here.
You're magazine drivers must be crazy, then :scared:

Several U.S. magazines, including Car and Driver and Road and Track reported over 30mpg highway for the C5. The transmission is geared to cruise at 60-70 mph at very low RPMs, which is why it gets good mileage on the highway (but not city). The C6 gets worse highway mileage, but still excellent for a big-boy V8.

Back