The World's Best Car

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 218 comments

VOTE For World's Best Car

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know our mpg figures are a little bit different to the US one's but I can't recall how they are different. But the bottom line is the same testers get better mpg out of other sportscars than the Vette's.

The Malibu's interior was already horrible, the thinking of the quality being worse is pretty bad!

Ok, we get that Chevy interiors suck dingleberries, but If i'm riding in that, I would just laugh at me passing all of those cars :D

And they'd laugh at you when they pass you as your at the side of the road in handcuffs, at the end of the day, as far as road us goes a Malibu can do the speed limit, a Corvette can do the speed limit and a Mini can do the speed limit.

I chose the Porsche, out of a crappy selection.
a ****** hyundai? worlds best car?!?!?!?
are you guys on crack?
The Porsche has at least par with the Vette in straight-line, with the exception of brand-new Z06's, but frankly, over the past however long, the Porsche will typically beat it in every performance catagory.

No, quite simply you have not understood (or not bothered) to look at the background to this thread and the long discussions involved in making those choices.

To steam in and insult members due to your own lack of understanding is simply ignorant and without any value.

Please make some serious efforts to improve both the quality of your posts and your own attitude, because neither poor quality posts or attitudes are wanted here at GT Planet.

Scaff

And they'd laugh at you when they pass you as your at the side of the road in handcuffs, at the end of the day, as far as road us goes a Malibu can do the speed limit, a Corvette can do the speed limit and a Mini can do the speed limit.

Yes thats very true. However its when your driving along an interstate late at night that the difference between a Z06 and a Malibu becomes fully apparent. It doesn't have to be a interstate though, any isolated road will do.

As someone who's driven the following: C3, C4 (owned one [1992]), C5, C5 ZO6 (recently), C6 (recently), Carrera 4S (recently), Carrera S, and a 911 turbo (recently) let me insert my opinion on the 911 vs Corvette debate. So having said that let me be the first to say driving the Porsche IS AN EXPERIENCE as well as seriously awsome fun. Since I never owned a Porsche and always associated it with something too expensive for me to ever afford I put it on a pedestal, and that pedestal is called class. While the Corvette maybe be great fun too it just doesn't exude CLASS like the Porsche does. At least to me it doesn't. Not to mention Porsche's suspension technology has always been 15 steps ahead of anything from America natively. I like both cars, and having to choose one right now between a base Carrera S or a C6 ZO6 I'd choose the ZO6...but with an unlimited budget the GT3 gets the spot in my garage.

And like the guy said--pay attention to the bold quoted text:
I can't count the number of times someone has told me that Porsches are overpriced and slower in 0-60 than a Subaru WRX or a Mitsubishi Evo. It's usually the younger guys. I ask them if they have driven a Porsche; most answer "no." Then I explain that it's not always about speed. Most of us don't spend our days doing 0-60 or driving around racetracks. Then I ask, "If money was no object, would you choose the Subaru, Mitsubishi, or the Porsche?" The answer is almost always "the Porsche." When someone doesn't choose the Porsche, I can tell by their body language they are not being truthful. Keep up the comparisons, but Porsche rules. If you own one, you know why.

1) About the fuel mileage on the Corvette:

Using the conversion of 1.2 US Gallons equals 1.0 UK Gallons...

The Federal Government rates the Corvette as the following:
- Z06 (7.0L LS7 w/ T56): 16 / 26 MPG (US), 19 / 31 MPG (UK)
- Z51 and "Standard" (6.0L LS2 w/ T56): 18 / 28 MPG (US), 22 / 34 MPG (UK)

Added to that, many owners report that 28 to 30 MPG (US) is easily obtained at highway speeds above 60 MPH on both Corvette models, and more than once, magazines such as Car and Driver and Motor Trend have reported doing so as well.

...So I'm very confused how anyone could get worse MPG figures unless they are driving the wheels off the car in the process. If you are driving the 'Vette the "right" way and using the skip-shift feature, you can get some crazy figures both in and out of the city. Quite frankly, this isn't anything new with the GM Small-Block in the past 10 years. Matching any of their engine with a T56 can easily push figures well past 28 MPG (US), and that goes with any of the models... Camaro/Firebird, GTO, CTS-V, Corvette, SSR, etc.

---

2) On the "class" destinctions between the 911 and Corvette, you are correct there JCE. The Porsche will always be considered a "top-line" model here in the US, while although the Corvette certainly shares a spot in the "halo" lineup... It remains to be an affordable option to any bloke who knows how to save his money.

That has been a HUGE part of the success of the Corvette. While you would have to be rich to buy that Porsche, Ferrari, or Aston Martin, you could walk down to the local Chevrolet dealer where you knew the salesmen by name, talk the price of the car down a touch, and walk out the door with a car that can outrun the best from Europe. It literally has ALWAYS been like that, and it will likely continue to be that way.

It is a "halo" car that is obtainable, and that is part of what makes it great. Its one that you can actually go out and touch, sit in, and quite often drive. I know that here at Berger Chevrolet, they often let regular folks come in and tinker with the new models. Americans love their Corvettes, and when a new one comes out, the big thing is to go down to the local dealer and have your picture taken with one.

...Why? I dunno. The same thing happens with the Mustang too...

Porsche drivers, I love them to death, but they are a completely different breed compared to most Corvette drivers. Granted a lot of it greatly depends on the model choises here, but even then, Porsche guys often seem to be a bit more "uptight" and "clean" about the way they do things.

The gas mileage that the Corvette is capable of during highway driving is inarguable.

Whether or not using a million-mile-long 6th gear and annoying "skip-shift" feature to achieve that mileage is "cheating" is arguable.

1) About the fuel mileage on the Corvette:

Using the conversion of 1.2 US Gallons equals 1.0 UK Gallons...

The Federal Government rates the Corvette as the following:
- Z06 (7.0L LS7 w/ T56): 16 / 26 MPG (US), 19 / 31 MPG (UK)
- Z51 and "Standard" (6.0L LS2 w/ T56): 18 / 28 MPG (US), 22 / 34 MPG (UK).
Then why can't any of our mags or TV testers get more out of the car? Might be our different speed limits, the gearing on the Vette is optomised to get good performance and economy on American roads, so tralvelling 50mph might yeild very good figures, travelling 70mph won't. Perhaps.

Then why can't any of our mags or TV testers get more out of the car? Might be our different speed limits, the gearing on the Vette is optomised to get good performance and economy on American roads, so tralvelling 50mph might yeild very good figures, travelling 70mph won't. Perhaps.

the Z06 can probbaly get 30mpg on the highway, but its city figures are terrible, and us Europeans always quote the combined mpg figures rather than one or the other. Americans are always more likely to post highway figures as I think they mainly do highway miles.

I know we do combined figures but I thought that America did as well, even still America's combined figures are notably higher than ours.

People who can afford upwards of £50k to spend on a car can afford the juice to go in it too, no matter how much it uses. If i was looking to spend that on a car, fuel ecconomy wouldn't even factor into the equation. It certainly shouldn't be a deciding factor between two sportscars/coupes in a 'World's Best Car' contest.

It's not a factor for me with regards to expensive cars anyway, it's just that the US get's much better mpg from it than the UK tests which wouldn't normally be the case.

Whew! Leave town for a few days and the posts really add up.

I have enjoyed catching up on the Vette 911 arguement, which you guys do so much better then I ever could. Everyone brings up good points but none really matter because in the long run I think if either car wins it's quite all right. Both are great and of course the Vette is going to be a bigger hit with the older and more patriotic American crowd then the 911. While the 911 will be a hit with the rest of the world, the younger Americans, and the big time Porsche fans we have here in the states. All that's fine. It's not like we are comparing a Vette to a Supra or something stupid like that where the fanboys will really come out. I think the fanboys of the Vette and 911 are rightfully fanboys, both are great cars that it's easy to get passionate about.

I have a question for you European guys. I was talking to this guy in my hometown a few years ago who I always enjoy talking to because he is the only other F1 fan in my area. He is just a motorsports nut in general and has been to Le Mans, Monaco, Indy and all around the world watching these legendary races. He told me that in Europe the fans love the big American engines because they rumble and that's something that they are not used to because most of the European sports cars use smaller high revving engines. He said people are just nuts about Vipers and Vettes over there and when they fire up in the pit lanes they get lots of attention. Is that true? Because I'm not getting that from this thread. You guys make it seem like most sportsfans never see those cars and could care less.

Just curious. This has been a really great series of discussions and I can't wait to see what topic we move onto next.

yes I must say a V8 rumble does attract attention, and its something you will rarely hear in the UK. I think its super cool having a nice rumble at idle.

I have a question for you European guys. I was talking to this guy in my hometown a few years ago who I always enjoy talking to because he is the only other F1 fan in my area. He is just a motorsports nut in general and has been to Le Mans, Monaco, Indy and all around the world watching these legendary races. He told me that in Europe the fans love the big American engines because they rumble and that's something that they are not used to because most of the European sports cars use smaller high revving engines. He said people are just nuts about Vipers and Vettes over there and when they fire up in the pit lanes they get lots of attention. Is that true? Because I'm not getting that from this thread. You guys make it seem like most sportsfans never see those cars and could care less.

Just curious. This has been a really great series of discussions and I can't wait to see what topic we move onto next.

I love the sound of a great engine as much as any true car nut, I just don't limit it to a V8. You can get a lot of great sounding engines in different configurations, Alfa V6's sound great as do some 4-cylinders (just not that many).

American V8's can be found in a wide range of European (and particularly British) cars, just look at the Rover (ex-Buick) V8.

What you have to remember is this is not a thread for best sounding car, which may explain why its not been that much of a talking point (until now that is - so well done for raising it).

Regards

Scaff

It's interesting - with all this back and forth between the Corvette and the 911, I had assumed the vehicles were nearly tied in voting. Since I'd abstained from voting, I didn't know the results, so I decided to see just how close it was today. It's 43-18. Why is everyone arguing?

It's interesting - with all this back and forth between the Corvette and the 911, I had assumed the vehicles were nearly tied in voting. Since I'd abstained from voting, I didn't know the results, so I decided to see just how close it was today. It's 43-18. Why is everyone arguing?

'Cos we like to argue i suppose :dopey:

It all kicked off, like it always does, with a few fanboy-like sweeping statements and then continued to go off track 👍

Scaff
No, quite simply you have not understood (or not bothered) to look at the background to this thread and the long discussions involved in making those choices.
Actually, I do understand it, quite well.
Now, is there a swedish car here? how about french? I assume by your statement that there must be a car from every country, right?

To steam in and insult members due to your own lack of understanding is simply ignorant and without any value.
If the shoe fits, I believe.
Not to mention the thread insinuates the Tiburon could possibly the worlds best car.

Please make some serious efforts to improve both the quality of your posts and your own attitude, because neither poor quality posts or attitudes are wanted here at GT Planet.
You mean posts that agree with you, right? isnt that what you really mean?
a bit odd, that you seem to have developed a vandetta here, being a moderator and all.

I have the right to think putting a hyundai tiburon in here is rediculas, and I have the right to say so.
The "drug references" you mentioned previously, is a coined phrase we use in America, and is not an actual question, nor does it mean I think these people are on crack, but you knew that, because you know everything, once it's been said.

Look! A moderator just jumped into a MASSIVLEY off-topic thread, and corrected 1 person out of the whole bunch, because they disagreed with some of the threads original content!

I have the right to think putting a hyundai tiburon in here is rediculas, and I have the right to say so.

I think the Hyundai is an excellent car. It looks fantastic, doesn't cost the earth to buy or run, holds its value reasonably well, is reliable, fairly spacious for a coupe and will keep running until the end of time.

Plus, it was a huge step up for Hyundai, and some believe it was the first Korean car to show the increasing quality from Korean manufacturers.

Now, is there a swedish car here? how about french? I assume by your statement that there must be a car from every country, right?

Swedish car: Koengisegg CC8/R/X
French car: Bugatti Veyron

Threads have been posted over the last 2 months for people to nominate, and then vote for, best cars in each of the major vehicle-producing nations - the UK, Italy, France, Germany, the USA, Japan, Korea, Australia and, yes, Sweden. Everyone who is a registered member here has had the chance to nominate and vote for the car they think is the best from each of those nations. EVERYONE. This includes you.

The Hyundai Coupe/Tiburon is here because it won the "Best Korean Car" poll. The time to complain about it was then, when people might listen to you and you could have made a difference to its near 50% poll showing (from 8 candidates). Now is the final. One representative from each country is in the final. These representatives will not be changed, regardless of how "rediculas" you think it is.

So please, as Scaff said, read up on the thread before you wade in.

Well, considering there is a car here from both of those countries you mentioned, I fail to see your point.

Um, there is a Swedish car, and a French car in there.

And to say there must be a car from every country is a very idealistic, and naive, view. Many countries produce cars in very small numbers, or may only have 2 cars to choose from. These cars could have very little international publicity, so how could we be expected to choose?

If the shoe fits, I believe.
Not to mention the thread insinuates the Tiburon could possibly the worlds best car.
That's simialir to saying that when a country qualifies for a major internatonal competition, lets say Trinidad and Tobego in the 'soccer' world cup, that they have the possibility of being the world's best team. The bottom line is, yes they do. However, it's extremely unlikely.

a bit odd, that you seem to have developed a vandetta here, being a moderator and all.
Someone is feeling a little paranoid. Quickly wrap foil around you head before the feds read your mind.

You'll hear plenty of V8's if your in the company of sportscars, American made cars or not. TVR has used V8's in it's models, some were variations of the Rover V8 which originally came from Buick, the later V8's were developed and built in house. Marcos use V8's sourced from GM, the same V8's used in Corvettes,we do like V8's sure however personally I much prefer the sound of an inline 6. However to say people are just nuts about Corvettes and Vipers is a slight overstatement, most people have never seen one to be nut's about one, and I have to say I've been with a few lad's from work and we've seen a Viper SRT-10, we just looked at each other and said "not as good as the old one". Yes they turn our heads, but so do most sportscars from Europe or Asia as well. Yes we like them, some American cars are iconic here like the Ford Mustang, the 60's models notably so other American car's ar known by name but we don't know much about the actual car ie the Corvette, not many people know much about the Corvette other than it's American and has a V8 some don't even know that much. I wouldn't say we're nut's about American V8's specifically, not that we don't like American V8's. What I mean is we do like V8's ,but they don't have to be American, the American one's are often a hell of a lot cheaper than builduing our own and many of the ones we use are very good like the one's Marcos use.

At the end of the day, if you go to a race track (like your friend) you'll be around more people that are into cars than if you go shopping in Manchester city center, so you'll be around more people that will be able to point to a Viper on sight as opposed to shopping in Manchester where most people probably couldn't. In general day to day life, a Corvette might as well not exist to us, same can be said for the Viper. They rarely get mentioned, let alone discussed and even rarer seen.

I think this on has been covered quite well now, but does quite wonderfully illustrate the point about actually knowing what you are replying to.

a bit odd, that you seem to have developed a vandetta here, being a moerator and all.
You have obviously no idea at all about how much I enjoy a well rounded and intelligently thought out discussion, in the feeder threads for this one M5P and myself discussed the merit of various cars from differing viewpoints, in particular the Citroen DS. We had totally different opinions on this car.

I have no problem at all with people disagreeing with me, I simply prefer it if they are able to do so in an intelligent and constructive manner (use of vaguely decent English is a bonus as well).

The "drug references" you mentioned previously, is a coined phrase we use in America, and is not an actual question, nor does it mean I think these people are on crack, but you knew that, because you know everything, once it's been said.
Common phrase or not its an insult and not the first you have used, and I can think of plenty of common phrases that are in use around the world that have no place here at GT Planet.

The discussion on the Hyundai Coupe has been done, but I would have no problem with additional comments if they were actually constructive in any way.

However......

LeadSled#2
a ****** hyundai? worlds best car?!?!?!?

...what a well rounded and thought provoking comment, makes me question exactly why we even considered the Coupe!!!!!!

You have added nothing at all of value with that, not to mention being in direct violation of the AUP (the swear filter exists for a reason).

You complain of a vendetta, yet continue to post poorly written, grammatically poor posts that are littered with spelling errors and contain incorrect and/or badly thought out illogical statements that when you are asked to provide proof of you throw your toys out of the pram and resort to insults.

Not a good way to continue your membership here at GT Planet, and I have no problem with continuing any of the discussions we have had, as long as you are able to actually start backing up your claims with some actual source material.

You're opinion posted as fact does not make something fact; if you make a claim then being expected to back it up is a reasonable expectation.

Equally I have no problem with performing my role as a mod here should your posts and/or attitude fail to meet what we expect (and clearly lay out in the AUP and exactly how I would for any other member), should you believe I am being unfair in any way, shape or form then please feel free to discuss it with any of the Admin team.

Regards

Scaff

Highway speed limits in the US, for the most part, are set at 70 MPH nationwide. Most people do between 75-90 MPH in most circumstances, as it greatly depends on the state and the people who live there. The Corvette, and generally any LS-class V8 when attached to a T56 with the crazy-tall overdrives easily get 30 MPG at highway speeds (70+ MPH). Considering that they are only spinning about 1600 RPM at about 60-70 MPH, you can understand why the fuel mileage is so good...

As for the city, I don't have a great explanation as to why your results would be so different. In the US, as long as you are using less than a quarter (actually I belive the technical number is 16%) of the throttle, the T56 forces you to shift from first to fourth when crusing around. The engine can handle it, and it is part of the reason why the Corvette (among other models from GM) have been able to dodge the "Gass Guzzler Tax" here in the US for over a decade... Not even the Mustang has been able to avoid it...

-----

If we are going to talk about the symphony of sound that emits from every car nominated here, it is tough to say that any of them are truely the "best" or "most appealing" as it all comes down to personal preference. Americans love thier big, "stupid", V8s more than anything else... Thats why we were convinced that we needed to stuff a 5.3L V8 in a FWD car the size of an Acura TL... Quite frankly, there isn't anything that can replace the sound of the V8, it simply is "perfect" in every way that I can think of. A few weekends ago when Grand Rapids did their own version of the "Woodward Dream Cruise," it was a slice of heaven unlike anything else. Big-blocks, small-blocks, Ford and Mopar rumbling next to Chevrolet and Oldsmobile. Granted, they may sound "harsh" by comparison to the sweet sounds of a Ferrari or Porsche, but thats what makes them great.

...As I've said time and time again, there isn't anything that can top a Chevrolet Small-Block in my book. But then again, it is a matter of taste...

People who can afford upwards of £50k to spend on a car can afford the juice to go in it too, no matter how much it uses. If i was looking to spend that on a car, fuel ecconomy wouldn't even factor into the equation. It certainly shouldn't be a deciding factor between two sportscars/coupes in a 'World's Best Car' contest.

I'd give you +rep if the forum would let me. Seems I've given you enough for now. :sly:

They have nothing else better to do...

Highway speed limits in the US, for the most part, are set at 70 MPH nationwide. Most people do between 75-90 MPH in most circumstances, as it greatly depends on the state and the people who live there. The Corvette, and generally any LS-class V8 when attached to a T56 with the crazy-tall overdrives easily get 30 MPG at highway speeds (70+ MPH). Considering that they are only spinning about 1600 RPM at about 60-70 MPH, you can understand why the fuel mileage is so good...

As for the city, I don't have a great explanation as to why your results would be so different. In the US, as long as you are using less than a quarter (actually I belive the technical number is 16%) of the throttle, the T56 forces you to shift from first to fourth when crusing around. The engine can handle it, and it is part of the reason why the Corvette (among other models from GM) have been able to dodge the "Gass Guzzler Tax" here in the US for over a decade... Not even the Mustang has been able to avoid it...

-----

If we are going to talk about the symphony of sound that emits from every car nominated here, it is tough to say that any of them are truely the "best" or "most appealing" as it all comes down to personal preference. Americans love thier big, "stupid", V8s more than anything else... Thats why we were convinced that we needed to stuff a 5.3L V8 in a FWD car the size of an Acura TL... Quite frankly, there isn't anything that can replace the sound of the V8, it simply is "perfect" in every way that I can think of. A few weekends ago when Grand Rapids did their own version of the "Woodward Dream Cruise," it was a slice of heaven unlike anything else. Big-blocks, small-blocks, Ford and Mopar rumbling next to Chevrolet and Oldsmobile. Granted, they may sound "harsh" by comparison to the sweet sounds of a Ferrari or Porsche, but thats what makes them great.

...As I've said time and time again, there isn't anything that can top a Chevrolet Small-Block in my book. But then again, it is a matter of taste...

Thank you

Back