The WTC 600 in Tokyo done without exploits is genuinely one of the hardest races in single player in gt7 - share your setups, tips, and cars

• Thread starter The_It_Jojo
  • 2,579 comments
I hate this race with an undying passion, but if anyone has The Drift BRZ V8 swapped into an S13 Silvia it's pretty fun for this race, if slightly terrifying. On sports hard tyres with max rear downforce and minimum front, some ballast towards the front, it can run well over 1,000bhp at 600PP (I got an Ultra turbo for 1232bhp!). As a result, you can get to 240mph down the main straight. The trade-off is brakes made of wood. Like, I can't overstate how atrocious the brakes are.

Still, it completed the race in 26:01. CRB is not easy to keep.

I hate this race with an undying passion, but if anyone has The Drift BRZ V8 swapped into an S13 Silvia it's pretty fun for this race, if slightly terrifying. On sports hard tyres with max rear downforce and minimum front, some ballast towards the front, it can run well over 1,000bhp at 600PP (I got an Ultra turbo for 1232bhp!). As a result, you can get to 240mph down the main straight. The trade-off is brakes made of wood. Like, I can't overstate how atrocious the brakes are.

I got that engine swap myself last night and had to try it. I think you may be overly generous saying the brakes are made of wood. I'd have sworn they were made of wet paper. :lol: Having to start braking for turn 1 well in advance of the overhead signs on the approach to the junction (never mind the overhead signs at the off-ramp) is ridiculous.

I couldn't keep the thing in a straight line unless I had TCS5 on either, and the noise from the rear tyres... :scared:

I'm a Ferrari fan, and I've always loved the Testarossa. I played GT7 for several months before it finally showed up in the UCD about a month ago. So far I had only raced it at 700p on LeMans, but I saw @Old_Richard post yesterday about running it on Tokyo 600pp....
I gave your tune a shot last night. I like the way your Testarossa drives. There is a bunch of understeer entering high speed corners and it's sluggish to turn in, but overall nice and flowing once the front cooperates.

Also, with the massive straight-line advantage, I found the getting the Clean Race Bonus fairly simple.

Tire wear was a BIG problem for me (I drive with all the grace of an agitated gorilla). The tire indicators showed the rears were completely gone by my first and only pitstop on lap 7. To the car's, PD's and your credit, the car is manageable even running on rims. There's a loss of pace and stability, but those were nowhere near as bad as in the previous update. That does no favors for my peace of mind though :sly:

Testa Tires - Gran Turismo® 7_20230401203741_1.jpg

Your gearing was a little tall for my driving style. I needed more punch in 3rd and 4th. But 2nd needed to be shorter for the hairpin at the end of the lap.

The Sports Mediums and your differential settings work well together. No complaints on braking stability or acceleration from low speed corners.

My best lap was for the entire session was 2:07.017. I feel I can hit a 2:06, but I kept bouncing off of 2:07s for the rest of my runs. Consistent 2:08s are more likely for me until I find a speed epiphany - That fastest lap was a magic lap where everything went perfectly. Not even sure how I got it.

Magic Lap - Gran Turismo® 7_20230401222542.jpg

Side Note: In the very next run following my magic lap (immediate retry of the event), Kokubun in the RX-7 awakened after his first and only pitstop and then started running solid 2:11s and 2:10s. I did two near identical runs (I am not a robot...). Check out the different between the times for 2nd place versus my magic lap run above...

Excuse Me Kokubun - Gran Turismo® 7_20230401225458.jpg

My best run with your tune yielded a 26:32.437

Luv2Drives Tune Results - Gran Turismo® 7_20230402022458.jpg

After stripping all the weight out, swapping gearboxes, swapping for Sports Hard tires and generally making everything about the car slightly worse, my best time was 26:29.686

Everything but Worse - Gran Turismo® 7_20230402044109.jpg

Wrestling the Testarossa into the 2:06s is now on my to-do list, and I'm going to use every tool and trick to game the PP system to get the job done :lol:

Last edited:
Bugatti Veyron ran a 26:34.491. Best lap 2:07.099. I didn't do much suspension tuning for this track. It's mostly the same settings I use at Le Mans. Slightly sluggish at turn in, but very stable through the turns. So much better than the 959 I wrestled with yesterday. I'm sure with some suspension tuning this could hit 2:05's and possibly a 26:20. If someone has a better suspension tune for the car I'm open to it.

There is a glitch tune for this car as well that can net you over 1300hp, but I couldnt build it because I have weight reduction stage 5 on mine. Anyway, here's my tune for it:

No wide body
biggest wheels with wide settings
Full aero
FM1 on the straight, FM5 on the back. Pit after lap 7. No need to change the tires.

20230402_231236.jpg
20230402_231255.jpg
20230402_231329.jpg

I have this swap done as well. Stupid silly car. It spins the tires at 165 mph in 4th gear with TC5.

However if you fully detune it to 600+ hp it can run 2:08's (back on v1.30). I haven't tried it for the actual race though.

I got that engine swap myself last night and had to try it. I think you may be overly generous saying the brakes are made of wood. I'd have sworn they were made of wet paper. :lol: Having to start braking for turn 1 well in advance of the overhead signs on the approach to the junction (never mind the overhead signs at the off-ramp) is ridiculous.

I couldn't keep the thing in a straight line unless I had TCS5 on either, and the noise from the rear tyres... :scared:
You may be onto something with the brakes there. I had to start braking at the toll on the main straight! I did the whole race with no TCS to see if I could manage. I had the transmission set to nearly 500kph, so I could floor it in 4th and 5th. Anything else was... entertaining. It was fun in a kind of masochistic way :D Definitely prefer the relative ease of the Le Mans 700PP though.
I have this swap done as well. Stupid silly car. It spins the tires at 165 mph in 4th gear with TC5.

However if you fully detune it to 600+ hp it can run 2:08's (back on v1.30). I haven't tried it for the actual race though.
I was running 300 rear downforce which helped with wheelspin once up to 4th gear without TCS, but as mentioned above my ratios were set super wide, so I ran the full 1232bhp. I think my best time was something around 2:04? But then you'd hope so, hitting 250mph on the staights...

As a result, you can get to 240mph down the main straight. The trade-off is brakes made of wood. Like, I can't overstate how atrocious the brakes are.

I think you may be overly generous saying the brakes are made of wood. I'd have sworn they were made of wet paper. :lol: Having to start braking for turn 1 well in advance of the overhead signs on the approach to the junction (never mind the overhead signs at the off-ramp) is ridiculous.
Perhaps that's because you're doing 240mph! Perhaps drive along the straight at a more normal 170-180 and then see where you have to brake.

I can really see why the gold is worth over half a million credits, because of the intriguing and difficult challenge. And the length of it too. Idk when they fixed the glitch but I can't use the Tomahawk anymore.

Ugg, been trying the Porsche 959 and it's the most infuriating car I've ever ran at this track. Finally managed a measly 27:04 out of it with a best lap at 2:08.685. The back end of this car weighs so damn much that it oversteers as you trail brake through those fast esses after the chicane. You have to be both on the gas and the brake to not upset the car's suspension too much or else you understeer your way into a wall. Notice how I mentioned both understeer and oversteer when describing this car's handling characteristics? Yeah, it's a handful.

What is sad is that I thought this car had promise. My early testing had it hit 213mph on the straight but that was with sport hard tires. It massively understeers with those tires. Sport mediums are required and you have to do full weight reduction them add full ballast to the front to even remotely come close to a 50/50 weight distribution. This helps a lot with the ass coming out on you under braking, but this requires you to lower overall engine output and messes with your straight line speed.

So far I have not found a car that can come even remotely close to a 2 minute lap time. My best was the 959 in testing with a 2:07.
Hi,

I just thought I'd mention that I managed to stop most of the braking oversteer by locking the front diff at 60 and setting the rear to 33.

I initially tried and failed to use the 959 @ 700pp at Le Mans.

Where you do get good benefit from it is the 700pp race at Laguna Seca

New setup, power instead of weight reductions.
Needed to change to FM2 for the last 2 laps, so I will instead try to fiddle the gear ratios a bit to do FM1 all 12 long.
I am 0.7s of my optimal lap time, so a better driver maybe can pull of -6s or more onto this.

Edit:
Changes were made, so now it runs with FM1 start to finish
1680526615066.png

Attachments

• 1680520109531.png
    1680520109531.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Perhaps that's because you're doing 240mph! Perhaps drive along the straight at a more normal 170-180 and then see where you have to brake.
Fair trade-off I think :D
Even around the mid section of the track where you don't have much opportunity to pick up speed, the brakes are still more or less of the unacceptable nature :P

The 25x tire wear multiplier really hurts the strategy with RH tires. Driving a Silvia I lost the right rear tire at lap 8 and the other 3 at lap 10. The Silvia is pretty good with worn out tires so last laps weren't that problematic. With the RX-7 I lost front and rear left tires at lap 8, so I had to pit. The RX-7 is not so good with worn tires so the rear gets a bit slidey.

Still good choices to win this race:
1CWn1PP.png

sFbpBos.png

Tested both of the cars above, the R33, R34 and Supra with SH and SS tires on default settings. They can do 4-5 laps with SS, 6 if I try to use wet patches as much as possible. I don't know if I like these changes, especially considering the AI is immune to them. I had races where Kokubun RX-7 did 9 laps with Soft tires!

Grrr.. Tried the van tonight. 6th place, no CRB. Unfortunately, it's too slow on the straights and it's too thirsty so it needs 2 pit stops. Ran a 27:54.6 with a fastest lap of 2:12.099. I figured if I could run 2:11's this was possible, or if I could do it in one pit stop it could be possible, but not on hard difficulty. An easier setting could probably get the win. It was a fun race though.

Edit: Ran the 4wd challenge on this track with the van. Ran a 2:10.6 lap...

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that the AI is now faster at Tokyo? I use the swapped Cupaccino, pre update I would typically run 2:13 on my first lap and would be leading by over 11 seconds at the start of lap 2, now I can run a 2:11 (I think the track is drier) on the opening lap but I will only be leading by 4.5 seconds at the start of lap 2. It seems PD is doing their best to keep us from grinding this race and buying MTX instead. Yeah, I don't think that will work.

Has anyone noticed that the AI is now faster at Tokyo? I use the swapped Cupaccino, pre update I would typically run 2:13 on my first lap and would be leading by over 11 seconds at the start of lap 2, now I can run a 2:11 (I think the track is drier) on the opening lap but I will only be leading by 4.5 seconds at the start of lap 2. It seems PD is doing their best to keep us from grinding this race and buying MTX instead. Yeah, I don't think that will work.
Depending on your total time you should be able to tell if the AI is faster or not.
I dont see much of a change, because my speed on this track has only increased either because my selected car has freed up some PP, or because I "discovered" a car that is simply faster.
I havent checked back on any of the grindy super solutions like the DP100 (I guess this is propably still one of the fastest) or the Escudo - because I personally dont like to tune downwards.

Any good tune for the Mazda 3 for this race?
Im in doubt about the choice, the base PP of the car seems to low to compete, with a too low total power.
Just putting it in the straight and seeing a top speed of 250km/h lets me make confident about my statement without spending any more than the first corner on the track.
Maybe it is possible, but I dont think so.

Any good tune for the Mazda 3 for this race?
This ain't necessarily the best, but I did a quick tune a few days ago and won on first try. Front spoiler and rear diffuser from GT Auto. I think there is potential for a low 27 min run with fine tuning and a good run. This still has some tendency to turn sideways on the entry to the corner going under the bridge.

mazda3_tune_1.png

mazda3_tune_2.png

Yes, the AI are definitely faster after this recent update. I would ALWAYS have a 12-13 second lead exiting the hairpin on lap 1 with the Escudo and despite the update making my lap times slower by 1 second consistently, the AI are only 6-7 seconds behind at the same spot every time I race here. I also noticed that some of the puddles that were previously on the track are gone now and the track also seems to dry out more, or at least earlier/faster than previous.

Last edited:
Yes, the AI are definitely faster after this recent update. I would ALWAYS have a 12-13 second lead exiting the hairpin on lap 1 with the Escudo and despite the update making my lap times slower by 1 second consistently, the AI are only 6-7 seconds behind at the same spot every time I race here. I also noticed that some of the puddles that were previously on the track are gone now and the track also seems to dry out more, or at least earlier/faster than previous.
Maybe a little faster, or at least more consistent. It looks like the AI would finish the race in the 27:35 - 27:45 range on v1.30 (Hard difficulty). It looks like the AI is running a fairly consistent 27:30 now in the races I have done.

It seems PD is doing their best to keep us from grinding this race and buying MTX instead. Yeah, I don't think that will work.
If they are doing their best to keep us grinding that race (or other grinds), they are doing a really poor job.

I switched to Sardegna post patch as it is much easier for me and I win with more than a minute before 2nd, all in FM6 with one pit stop to refuel, and taking my sweet time passing AIs to preserve my CRB (which is handed anyway but I try to drive clean).

Audi RS 5 DTM

race time: 27:35 (non stop)
fastest lap: 2:15
Considered to try a no stop but I haven't tried yet. Close to 26:00 with a one stop, with fastest laps around 1:41 with FM6 all along.

How do you save enough fuel ? Short-shifting ? Coasting ?

Considered to try a no stop but I haven't tried yet. Close to 26:00 with a one stop, with fastest laps around 1:41 with FM6 all along.

How do you save enough fuel ? Short-shifting ? Coasting ?
this car is very frugal on fuel. it was detuned a lot to meet 600pp.

If they are doing their best to keep us grinding that race (or other grinds), they are doing a really poor job.

I switched to Sardegna post patch as it is much easier for me and I win with more than a minute before 2nd, all in FM6 with one pit stop to refuel, and taking my sweet time passing AIs to preserve my CRB (which is handed anyway but I try to drive clean).
Have PD ever changed a career mode race to make it more difficult after release? Even if we say faster AI and the drier track is a placebo they still bumped tire wear to 25x, what are their reasons for doing this?? It's just an offline race.

Back