Theory on the Audi R8 LMS Ultra Handling

Stock brand new no oil change R8 LMS Phoenix has 528HP, 599PP :) Maybe that's the plain one with less downforce and more weight.

Plain R8 has 562hp after oil change and 597PP. Weight is the same - 1250kg. Without oil change it has 589PP and 536hp??

I compared both 2012 R8 LMS models in stock configurations. Team Phoenix feels little heavier, but it is 10km/h faster than plain R8 on Bathurst straights(!). On longer straights like on Norschleife or La Sarthe it should have even bigger advantage over plain R8 Ultra. Team Phoenix Audi requires higher downforce to match cornering performance of plain R8 but at the other hand there's no way to make plain R8 faster to compete with Phoenix. Also Team Phoenix R8 suffers from oversteer under braking, while plain R8 with same setup doesn't have this problem. Overall i think Team Phoenix R8 is better, because of higher top speed and comparable handling.

So this cars are not the same.

And seriously guys, we should create online lobby for those intrigued by R8. We can have really competitive racing on Bathurst with so much people capable of doing 2:01 - 2:04 :D

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this up again, but i'm still convinced it's broken beyond belief. I've enlisted the help of an R8 LMS ultra driver, and I hope to shed some light on what it actually drives like.

image.jpg

I drove this thing when I was comparing TenDs replays a couple of weeks ago, forgot how bad it was. Took it to Nurb GP, went to brake into the first turn and it threw me straight off the track, really unstable. Then once I got into the corners it was the same problem.

I find it hard to believe the real car was ever that bad.

After all the updates, after 8.500km, most of them on the Nürburg 24 circuit (at night, wet), after more than 80 changes in the setup, my original Phoenix (body rigidity installed) is still a handfull to drive...
My second one (no body rigidity installed) feels a bit different, but has also a bad temper...

Still love 'm :D

But I agree with @Samus (wrote this before): if the Phoenix behaves like this in real life, I really don't envy the drivers :nervous:

Does max rear brake bias help any combined with high deceleration lsd value? Say 2/10 brake bias with 12/15/40 lsd?

The Nissan GTR GT3 has also the same problem. Not as understeerish as the R8 Though, but still Noticeable. At least on my game.

I made great improvement over my older 1.04 tune for the R8 LMS Ultra Phoenix, some members have given good feedback on it, maybe this might prove useful :

Championship won, but it's a very nasty (known) and challenging car. You made it very well and driveable. 👍

@Ridox2JZGTE, wow what a tune that Audi R8 Ultra was, did really go 1st lap on 2.02 on Bathurst, second lap goes 2.01 and after setting LSD to 28/38/37 goes 1st lap 2.01 2nd 2.00 and 1.59 on 3rd lap :)
Tested with RS tires no ABS with G27 on offline Bathurst grip set "real".

And the feedback with alternate setup :

Big improvement, 552BHP, RH, Camber, ABS 0 (5/4), Group GT3 Series, Silverstone GP, 2:03.554 - Racing Conditions. 👍

@Ridox2JZGTE

About the Audi R8 LMS Ultra Phoenix - Max Power Version, I had quite good results with LSD set finaly to 34, 34, 34 - 2:01.xxx, and once 2:00.xxx at Silverstone GP, RH, Camber, ABS 0 (5/4), GT3 Group Series.
Maybe you'll check this. 👍

@Samus : You might find the tune below helpful :)

@Fanapryde : Have you tried the new tune/replica with alternate suspension/aero/LSD ?
The tune can use higher power, the replica below uses power set at Blancpain 2014 spec :

AUDI R8 LMS Ultra (Audi Sport Team Phoenix) '12 489HP to 552HP BLANCPAIN version
Tuned to replicate Audi R8 LMS Ultra Blancpain
Sports Soft to Racing Hard

CAR : Audi R8 LMS Ultra ( Audi Sports Team Phoenix ) '12
Tire : Sports Soft to Racing Hard

Specs
Blancpain Max Power 412kW
Horsepower: 552 HP at 8000 RPM
Torque: 417.6 ft-lb at 6500 RPM
Power Limiter at : 99.6%
Weight: 1250 kg
Ballast : 0 kg
Ballast Position : 0
Weight Distribution : 45 / 55 as stock
Performance Points: 607

Blancpain power based on 2.5 Kg/Hp or 500HP

Horsepower: 500 HP at 6400 RPM
Torque: 417.0 ft-lb at 6300 RPM
Power Limiter at : 90.4%
Performance Points: 594

Blancpain power based on maximum restrictor 365kW
Horsepower: 489 HP at 6400 RPM
Torque: 416.4 ft-lb at 6100 RPM
Power Limiter at : 88.2%
Performance Points: 591

GT AUTO
OIL CHANGE
Improve Body Rigidity ( optional - not installed in this build )
Wheels : Stock
Car Paint : Stock

Tuning Parts Installed :
Racing Exhaust
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD
Racing Brakes Kit

AERO :
FRONT : 230
REAR : 680 ( Alternative setup is to use stock value or whatever values that suits the track or preferences - I recommend no more than 300 front aero and 730 rear aero, too high will lower acceleration and top speed)

LSD - 2 way high preload
Initial Torque : 28
Acceleration Sensitivity: 38
Braking Sensitivity: 38

Alternate LSD ( loose )
Initial Torque : 34
Acceleration Sensitivity: 34
Braking Sensitivity: 34

Suspension - EIBACH ERS Coil Springs with Bilstein Damper
Front, Rear

Ride Height: 75 75
Spring Rate: 21.43 16.87
Dampers (Compression): 6 7
Dampers (Extension): 5 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 5 4
Camber Angle: 0.2 0.2 ( use zero camber for max grip )
Toe Angle: -0.07 0.07 - increase rear toe in if want more stability in low speed, I recommend no more than 0.21 as it makes the rear harder to rotate.

New Update / Alternate version with better low speed stability ( Suspension + Aero )

Ride Height: 75 75
Spring Rate: 21.43 18.69
Dampers (Compression): 6 7
Dampers (Extension): 5 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 5 4
Camber Angle: 0.4 0.0
Toe Angle: -0.07 0.18

Alternate Aero :
FRONT : 280
REAR : 680

Transmission - Sequential 6 Speed Adapted Homologated Ratio
Install all power parts
Set Default
Set Final to 5.000
Set Auto Max Speed at 250kmh / 155mph
Adjust each gear :
1st 3.032
2nd 2.235
3rd 1.765
4th 1.474
5th 1.238
6th 1.037
Set Final : 3.889

Brake Balance
5/4 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 5/4, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 5/4 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :
This is a replica of Audi R8 LMS Ultra Blancpain version, the power figures depend on the restrictor usage, so I have provided 3 different power levels.

The suspension has been overhauled from my older tune, incorporating new spring rate, damper, ARB, toe and camber. With the new setup, I can use same camber front and back, unlike in the older version :)
Overall the car is easier to drive, safer, and more consistent.

For LSD, I have used the same 2 way setup, with similar setup like in 458 GT3, while gearing also adapted from 458 GT3 homologated ratios, and it worked so well with the R8 LMS.

I have tuned and tested the car at Tsukuba, Brands Hatch GP, Bathurst, Silverstone GP, Nurburgring 24H and Spa :D

With stock gearing and 528HP, it manages 52.5xxs at Tsukuba, 1:23.3xxs at Brands Hatch GP, 2:04s at Bathurst and 2:01s at Silverstone GP, all on 1st lap RH tire :D

To replicate 2014 Audi R8 LMS, I would suggest to run at 500HP

Please leave feedback about the replica, I always consider this car as a work in progress

UPDATE : Added new alternate suspension and aero set, the alternate setup offers better low speed stability and lighter steering at medium and higher speed, LSD remains the same. The new alternate setup is capable of 1:59s at Silverstone GP :eek: with 552HP.

UPDATE 2 : Added alternate LSD, thanks to @danbojte for the tip.

Last edited:
The R8 never loses mechanical grip, it's the front tires grip overwhelm the rear when in low speed ( less aero effect ), making it over rotate suddenly.

I don't doubt your tune imrpoves things Ridox, I might try it next time I happen to play the game but still, the default setup should not be as bad as it is. I wonder if Audi are aware how their race cars have been depicted in Gran Turismo. The R10 was awful in GT5, not in drivability but performance, and I recall seeing a thread that the R18 was too slow in GT6 as well.

There is an effect of loss of mechanical grip. It doesn't matter how much lock you put on, it always spins below a certain speed. The car should not have that little mechanical grip at all.

The first sector of Nurburgring GP is actually a good place to see it in action, you'll have the horrid instability with the heavy braking into T1, then the low grip coming out of the next three turns, T3 in particular. Then again into the hairpin, further instability.

An easy way to see the front grip bias in action, drive very slow at 30kmh-50kmh, steady on throttle, then do a zig zag, slowly then gradually steer quicker. The front tires changes direction on a dime, so much grip, while the rear slide/loses traction almost instantly.

Suspension and LSD tuning lessened the effect, but not a true cure. Some uses huge camber up front to reduce front tire grip, it works, but also counter productive as it becomes a huge disaster on medium to high speed cornering. Changing camber alone will almost cure the low speed issue :) Try 3.0 camber front and 0.00 rear :lol:

Back