Things you would like to see in GT5 other than cars?

• Thread starter Inkil
  • 4,066 comments
I want them to have more night courses. In GT4, the only truly nighttime track is George Paris. SSR5 and Hong Kong are close, but even then, they are more twilight (which is still cool, though). I'd like to see the return of Rome Night and SSR11, those tracks were just badass. I'd also like to be able to see car headlights do more than just glow. I'd like to see the beam on the road, and the glare on the backs of other cars when I get close. And maybe make it to where it is harder to see the road if you knock a light out, too.

I totally agree with all of you guys.

Also, I've got another little idea... This one is super far-fetched but I like it...

GT Mode, buy and build a car, tune it and whatnot...
Allow online sales of the car for a price the builder sets.

On top of that, allow the copy or duplication of cars in your own garage for a price equal to the cost of the build.

For example, say you buy and build a Supra, the car cost 25,000 then you put 75,000 into the car... The game will keep track of that total cost (100,000) and allow you to make a copy of the car in your garage for the price of the build.

This could put a great bump of activity into the Sony Online scene since it would allow us to act as merchants if we were good at tuning. 👍
Likewise, it would allow us to purchase fast, pre-tuned cars from racers who might know how to tune a car rather well.

Any way, I figured that could tie into the virtual track day parking lot idea. :sly:

Also, an idea about what I'd like to see in the next game... I'd like to see car changes during championships... As long as the car still falls into the championship specs you should be allowed to change cars...

Oh and more endurance races of normal lengths of time (as I believe B-spec to be a cop-out for good endurance race designs) I would love to see a variety of 4h races on all the courses we didn't see any enduros on.

Maybe in the races (especially endurance), you pick out two or three cars from your garage to have ready as spares. If you have damage and wear, you could have these cars as replacements for a crash/blowup so that you can keep going. It would be interesting (but complicated) to have to select a parts/spare car package at the start of a ten or fifteen race championship - a package that has to last you the duration of the championship. It's like the Targa Tasmania - you only get so many sets of tyres to run the whole race on.

In between races you could repair damage to cars and try to have them ready for the next race. The one thing I like about the rally games (a la Colin McRae rally) is the fact you've only got several hours to repair your car. The more damage you do to it, the longer it takes to repair. The more repairs you have to do, the longer it takes. You may have a fender-bender - damaged suspension, steering, brakes and body work (aerodynamics), and only have enough time to fully repair steering and brakes, partly repair suspension, and duct-tape up the body... It would make for an interesting race.

Might be a little to involved or difficult for some people, though.

Oh and more endurance races of normal lengths of time (as I believe B-spec to be a cop-out for good endurance race designs) I would love to see a variety of 4h races on all the courses we didn't see any enduros on.

Ditto.
2 hours does not make an endurance race...
but 8+ hours is impractical, even dangerous to attempt in one sitting.
Without 'in-pit-saves' or 'B-spec bob' any race over 4-6 hours is a non-starter for many people - not me though, I have a-specced them all.

there were too many cars in GT4 that didn't really fit into any event, like the GT300 cars, in GT3 there was the beginner GT World champioship where you cold race the GT300 cars and the rally cars on road tracks and that also happened to be one of my facerout events in GT3. There was no equivelent event in GT4. There was no events for 300+bhp FF cars, unlike in GT3, there was no events for race cars like the Spoon Fit, Spoon S2000, the Motul civic and others. Yet there was 3 or 4 events for the same LMP grids over and over again. Too many events where the same grids would pop up and then zero events for other cars.

Looking through the car lists, you find a number of small old cars.
Fiat 500 (x3 variants)
Mazda Carol 360
Honda N360
Citroen 2CV
VW Beetle 1100
Daihatsu Midget...

The most appropriate race for them would be the Lightweight K-Cup, but here they'd be up against modern superminis with twice the power/weight. It almost seems a waste of effort to model these, and many other cars that have no obvious place to race. I know the 2CV and Midget have their own make races, but why oh why did PD neglect to add a 'classic supermini race'? They managed a pickup truck race, but no GT300! I just wish they would put a bit more thought into tailoring races to suit all of the cars they model - even the Model T Ford could be raced if they had a few other vintage cars to race against.

EDIT: Sometimes the given race series don't even make sense. The 'Dream Car Championship' to me conjures up images of the likes of;
TVR Speed 12's
Mercedes SLR
Pagani Zonda
Saleen S7
Ford GT...

Instead we are presented with a variety of japanese LM race cars, Touring cars, and the odd rally car. It seems to me that something was lost in translation, and not only here. Why do they refer to 'non-race' cars as unmodified, even if you have spent 10,000's on turbos, suspension and gearboxes? Wouldn't the word Domestic be more appropriate?

In between races you could repair damage to cars and try to have them ready for the next race. The one thing I like about the rally games (a la Colin McRae rally) is the fact you've only got several hours to repair your car. The more damage you do to it, the longer it takes to repair. The more repairs you have to do, the longer it takes. You may have a fender-bender - damaged suspension, steering, brakes and body work (aerodynamics), and only have enough time to fully repair steering and brakes, partly repair suspension, and duct-tape up the body... It would make for an interesting race.

A more likely scenario (If damage is implemented) would be a pop up message along the lines of;
"Your car is too badly damaged to continue. Please choose another car from your garage, or withdraw from this championship".

That said, even if damage is implemented it is unlikely to be carried over from one race to the next, your car being magically repaired between races.

This post involves cars to a degree, but not indivdual makes/models. It concerns the types of cars/racing.

Considering that it's supposed to have 20 or so cars on grid, why not, in the endurance races, have multiple classes at the same time, just like in real life. I mean, it's one thing to race with cars of roughly compairable speed, but mix in some slower cars, and it could be interesting.

Glad you guys like the replies. :bowdown:

Lots of good ideas being posted... A few that caught my eye made me think of B-spec races over 8 hours long! :lol: 2-8hrs A-spec is all I would personally ask for, 0-1hr in b-spec maybe... But 8hrs B-spec? :yuck: :banghead:
That's just letting my playstation run for the sake of the electric bill. ;)

About the drive around town thing... Makes me think of just getting the map layout more refined... I'd really like to see the north, east, south, and west cities again. 👍

Regarding LeMans categories and an assorment of classes on the starting grid at once... They already do that occassionally, problem is, they don't sort the classes. :dunce:
With as many cars as I've seen in previews, I don't think it would be asking for too much if you were to sort the results of races.
In fact, with something like the 24hrs. races, I'd expect that much simply because there needs to be quality in a race like that if PD wants me to race.
(I'm no b-spec fan as many of you know) :sly:

...What brought me to the thread...? :sly:
Euro Hot Hatch races...
Enter and see the M coupe, think of my hatchbacks...
(first off)
We need to fix that problem about atleast entering the cars we are in competition with!!! :irked:

Beyond that though, we could use an honest approach to the world of GT. Sorry to be so rough but that's what needs to be said. :grumpy:

Not every car in the world is only availible in Japan or their home country.
Why should the Euro Hot Hatch not have the Euro Civic Type R?

As I sit here and type I grow angry with PD regarding the enormous car list they produced for GT4 (at the same time I'm still happy with it)... But man!
Heck, to pick on the Hot Hatch again... I went to the prize list to see what I would have won (had I continued my adventure)... For the task of besting the Euro Hot Hatch in one of five or so cars, I would have earned a Volvo Estate. :rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong, I know there are a bunch out there who love the Volvo, I've got no beef with that. :cheers:
I'm just saying this... When you tune and race a modified Mark V because you couldn't drive that phatty beamer next to you, winning earns you a whole lot more than a Volvo. :serious:

Sorry about that... :rant over:

That looks like a necessary rant, it highlights some of the niggly little things in the game.

Where was the Japanese hot hatch cup?
Is the BMW a coupe or a hatch?
Why the wagon as a prize. A hotter hatch would have made more sense.
There's plenty of wagons available. Why no wagon race?
Pickup truck race. On tarmac! Should have been offroad.
etc, etc, etc...

Now this sort of thing isn't a deal breaker, but fixing the tiny things for GT5 would improve customer satisfaction disproportionately.

About the North/South/East/West cities thing. I started with GT3 so know nothing of them, but a four way N/S/E/W menu would make more sense than the scrolling world map and race series listing menu's in GT4. Imagine if you will a four way main menu;

House/home.
Auto showroom.
Warehouse.
Garage/workshop.

You go home and are presented with;
Desk - Options.
HiFi - Jukebox.
TV - Replay theatre.
Bed - Load/Save.

The auto showroom features;
Shiny new cars.
Classic old cars.
Museum 'not-available-to-buy' - view potential prize cars here.
Newspaper - pick up a bargain.

The warehouse, what we currently know as the garage, but with four seperate halls named and sorted by the player. i.e. Domestic/Sports/Race/Special, or Standard/Grip/Drift/Drag.

The garage/workshop...
Hood/Engine - Tuning.
Rear wheel - Testing.
Car door - Go race.
Ground pit - Maintenance (GT Auto).

It could go on with...
Used cars - classics/economy/executive/sports
Racing - Beginner/Pro/Endurance/Special
etc...

Where was the Japanese hot hatch cup?
There wasn't one, which highlights the point Kent made earlier about the lack of events.

Is the BMW a coupe or a hatch?
It's both, much like the TVR T350C is a hatchback, but also a coupe. It isn't a hot hatch though.

Why the wagon as a prize. A hotter hatch would have made more sense.
You'd have thought, or at least something in the spirit of the cup.

About the North/South/East/West cities thing. I started with GT3 so know nothing of them, but a four way N/S/E/W menu would make more sense than the scrolling world map and race series listing menu's in GT4. Imagine if you will a four way main menu;
Tbh I didn't mind the big map menu of GT4. There was plenty of other things regarding the games fun, and replayability that I did mind though.

Those were hypothetical questions - intended to imply that PD could think more carefully about such things.

As for the map, my preference went to the GT3 setup. This N/S/E/W setup was just another option I came up with.

I'd agree with you though that there are more important things to look at. Mainly the AI (Artificial Idiocy). I don't know how they are programmed. Maybe they are given a predefined route to follow, maybe a mathematical model that allows them to define their own route. Whatever it is, there needs to be more than one route/model such that each car in a race can have its own personality rather than being so predictable. Add in the obligitory online, time-of-day, weather, paintshop etc and we'd have a winner.

I have a sneaky hunch that we're going to see some surprising things in GT5. Kaz himself had said some pretty ambitious things about what he wanted to see in Gran Turismo from the very start. The only limit? Sony's hardware.

I know the PC guys hate associations like this, but we really do finally have a console with the power of a cutting edge PC. The darn thing has six or seven processors available running at 3ghz plus! Devs are already successfully divvying up tasks among them like physics and A.I., and something like Broadband Engine is almost overkill for a mere racing game. But just imagine what's possible.

Forza 2 has already been whittled back considerably. More cars, in fact an excellent spread of basic civilian models and supercars, along with enhanced real world mod parts and tires, and an enhanced paint shop. But still only eight cars per race. Fewer track environments. No point to point. No change in daytime. No weather. They hype the advanced physics engine but with only eight cars, will it make that much of a diff? Especially since online leagues would look puny?

The PS3 has so much more horsepower available. PS2 games had marvelous effects like pouring rain in MGS2 along with lifelike A.I., thanks to the Emotion engine. Advanced physics is evident in games like Motorstorm and Formula 1, and Formula 1's weather effects are clearly top notch. F1 is also a near-launch game. Polyphony has been building Gran Turismo 5 for... well, no one knows for sure. But with the time avaiable, we might be getting many of our ideas in this monster and then some. I'm excited as can be.

I know it been mentioned b4 but it would be really great if they have an event generator. It would be nice if you could set the field, type of race, number of races and the tracks.

Agreed annoys me when i try to have a JGTC 300 race and it turns out to be mostly rally cars I am against, and also I would like to be able to race JUST group C race cars in a race without an Audi R8 or a Bently appearing in it even though the Audi R8 is one of my favorite cars I would like the option of being able to pick my line up.

Paint jobs won't make you go faster, but would definately be welcomed. How many times have you recieved a prize car in a boring colour and thought 'I wish this was in red/green/black/whatever'.

Body kits however can be functional. Some people deride them for being utterly useless, but I think rear wings can be used for downforce, front/side panels can help with ground effects, and hoods/bonnets can improve cooling and airflow. When fitting a large turbo/supercharger I'd like the option of a hood scoop to ensure I get the most out of my forced induction.

Likewise a stage 2/3 weight reduction which is said to replace body panels with lighter ones should at least have some visual effect on the vehicle. The Sprinter Trueno GT Apex SS version shows a carbon hood, but any time I lighten a vehicle with an aluminium/carbon hood there is no visual change.

What I'd like to see would be a bodyshop offering a selection of functional body kits with the improvements in downforce/airflow/weight listed. Think of it as an advanced 'race mod' which gives you more control over what panels to replace. What I'd not like to see are flared wheel arches and plastic spoilers purely for the sake of looks - you can use the paintshop for that.

If you get a decent wide arch kit as part of the kit the gap between the wheels (obviously not the wheel base) should be increased as well therefore increasing stability.

i find that a decent wheel arch kit can make a car look much more appealing. if you have a car and give it wider wheels, but dont have the extra flares, then it just doesnt look right. an example is the Buick GNX...they added wider wheel flares compared to the original Grand National and it makes the GNX look oh-so-much cooler.

If you have a car with standard wheels and flared arches, the wheels can look lost way back there.

I doubt we will get the option of increasing wheel width/vehicle track, but if we do then I'd love a narrowed axle, tubbed rear and monster wheels along with wheelie bars on my dragster. Of course the flared arches then become functional and so should be included.

We need SSR11 back! :dopey:

Some better music tracks would be better as well. Kaz ought to realise that the music has to suit fast driving, not just the songs he likes. I mean, Oh Yeah by Yello? What were they thinking?! :yuck: Here's a few suggestions:

Golden Earring - Radar Love
Fall Out Boy - Dance Dance
Stereophonics - The Bartender and the Thief
The Cardigans - My Favorite Game (which actually was in GT2)
Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit
Kazzer - Fuelled by Adrenaline
Matt Monroe - On Days Like These (for those winding mountain roads...)
The Automatic - Monster
Hard-Fi - Living For The Weekend (only if we can have SSR11 back though)
Limp Bizkit - Rollin' (but with the s and f words blocked out)

👍

Some better music tracks would be better as well. Kaz ought to realise that the music has to suit fast driving, not just the songs he likes. I mean, Oh Yeah by Yello? What were they thinking?! :yuck: Here's a few suggestions:

The Automatic - Monster

👍
Has there ever been a thread devoted to a soundtrack wishlist? I know the game needs a good one, but honestly I turn the music off and listen to the engine and wheels screeching :D

The Automatic - Monster

👍
He should get some bands to record the songs in the "Modify real songs to make them GT4 related" thread. That would be sweet!

Last time I remember being in this thread there was a bit of talk about the map lay out...
Part of what was driving my comments had this at heart...
I would like to see all of the races you can possibly enter presented in a more centralized fashion.

Rather than putting manufacturer championships with the various companies, put them all in a single race events area where all of the races would be found.
Also convert the garage to your modifications area and allow upgrade purchase and equips from the garage.

Finally, make sure a full parts and modifications list is presented for every car in both the garage (like early gt games) as well as in the race display.

:cheers:

Those were hypothetical questions - intended to imply that PD could think more carefully about such things.

As for the map, my preference went to the GT3 setup. This N/S/E/W setup was just another option I came up with.

I'd agree with you though that there are more important things to look at. Mainly the AI (Artificial Idiocy). I don't know how they are programmed. Maybe they are given a predefined route to follow, maybe a mathematical model that allows them to define their own route. Whatever it is, there needs to be more than one route/model such that each car in a race can have its own personality rather than being so predictable. Add in the obligitory online, time-of-day, weather, paintshop etc and we'd have a winner.

http://forzamotorsport.net/news/pitpassreports/pitpass36-2.htm heres a link to FM2 site talking about it new A.I. I know it dosn't effect what PD does, but a good idea of how A.I. works and some great insight into why the do or don't suck.:sly:

I was playing GT4 for the first time in ages last night. One thing i've noticed is that although GT now has a very broad spread of car types, the races available always seem to favour certain groups of cars with a large chunk of cars hardly catered for. I'd like to see a retro move back to earlier GT games where you could only enter some races with totally standard cars rather than open to cars modded to varing extents. Kent's suggestion of grouping the races together instead of having the one make races in the 'dealer' options would be a good move too.

Perhaps sacrificing some of the one make race series for a tightly controlled race series for similar cars from different manufacturers would be more enticing. Some of the one make series are ones that i've done just the once just to get the completion percentages or prize cars. They're just not interesting series to run over and over again.

RACING MODIFICATIONS!! Put them back in GT I loved GT2 because of this feature.

Oh-kay... no offence mate, but this has to be the silliest suggestion ever made in the entire forum. I mean, look at GT now. 745 cars or thereabouts. Imagine having to create a racing version for each and every stock car! I'd prefer if you just have mods (functional bodykits, decals etc.) to do it yourself.

Back