Thoughts on the license Tests?

• Thread starter durb98
  • 155 comments
S-10 .........I do hope whomever decided to include this has a pineapple covered in deep heat shoved up where the sun doesn't shine
It's the only really memorable one though. I got the bronze but there no way I ever get the gold. I don't like driving that car at all let alone on a wet track.

If I turn TC off I can forget finishing the test I will slide everywhere and if I do manage to cross the line it is usually about 33-35 seconds on A-10 or longer after I have left some nice donut lines on the track lol. I have it on 4 at the minute ABS Default ASM Off Countersteering Assistance Off. I am doing usually 29.5s
Patience is a virtue they say.
O have done three 29.1s using dpad and x button, AT, TC1, mild counter steer and stability off. The hard part is getting the car to swing left enough so you can fire out to the right in a straight line qt the last corner.

Got all gold up to S-7 this morning. I genuinely think they are all a little easy but still waiting to get to S-10. Some of them I got gold on the first try. Some after 15 or 20 tries.

Mmmmmmmm................. reading everyone else's comments I now feel not alone. I have Golded all tests and have similar sentiments to everyone else.

BUT I would like to point out PD have obviously gotten this spot on (flame jacket ON)

Look at a standard deviation curve, 25% should get gold, the next 50% silver and the bottom 25% bronze.

Most people here seem to expect they can get the gold easily and with little effort. I have some sad news for these people ;-)

Just think about it, the game is supposed to be hard to be able to get the Platinum Trophy or Gold in all the tests. What next, Olympians complaining they all didn't get Gold?

Think about it.

Final point. I am 86% way through all trophies and my only gripe is the lack of money earning potential and the elusive expensive cars :-( Even that being said I have only had the game for 6 days so what else will I do for the next 4+ years waiting for GT8 ;-)

My thoughts concern people who say GT7 license tests are lol easy just because they obtained gold in a couple tries or less so they need to kick everyone down and put themselves over. :confused:

I steer clear of "racing sims" and bench racing, they're not for me. I'm a controller player and joined the gold S club last night. It was a ball busting experience but I managed to pull it off, same with GT6 but we don't talk about that game because it's lol easy. Kaz definitely wanted to get his revenge for fans complaining so much about GT Sport.

I haven’t done the super license yet but I did the other ones. I got gold on most of them pretty quickly but some of them aren’t easy and took quite a few attempts. I’m liking it more than GTS but I think it should be a little harder to get gold.

It would also be cool if you used just one car to complete each licence, instead of using something different all the time.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another thread that GT7 tests should be nothing on the Sebastian Vettel challenge from GT5. Cry me a river or go for Bronze or better. And for the love of God, use bumper or roof cam. You can see the corners so much better.

As expected, licenses were quite easy. As a precaution, I golded everything on DualShock, wheel would've given everything out for free :P

Good thing Circuit Experiences are wheel-optimized.

I've only done the first 3 sets of tests so far, but generally went quite a bit faster than the gold times as I was trying to get the fastest times on my friends list if possible. My tip for anyone struggling with the ultra slidey ones is don't be afraid to try TC5. There was more than one where I went several tenths faster with TC5 than any other setting. I've been playing GT7 with controller rather than wheel, using stick steering.

Last edited:
I've got gold all the way through International B. I'm halfway through International A, with 3 gold and 2 silver. I had to stop as I was getting a bit too frustrated. So i decided to install another game.

150+ tries means you should probably stop considering yourself a veteran driver lol
I'll put my times against yours any day. Back when we used to have real challenges, real racing, I was consistently in the top tier. Better bring your balls if you want to race with me. But I know trash when I see it, and that test is trash.

Were you trying to gold it, or trying to pass it with any result?
All gold is the only way IMO. Nothing else will do.

Last edited:
I am stuck at the Supra for National B final test. 1 tenth off Gold but can't get out of the last corner quick enough.

And rallying just should not be in the tests, like really just go away rallying.
I hate the rally in this game. I'm pretty much done with single player for now because they're forcing me to do things that aren't fun at all. I pray to the gods that they bring back online BoP group 3 racing.

Why didn't they just copy and paste the lobbies and sport mode from GTS? Wasn't that game pretty much a beta/prologue to 7? What was it all for?

I have really enjoyed the license tests so far. For me they have been a great mix of fun and challenge. I’ve manage to gold all the way into I-A with some adjusting to my driving style. I’m actually like oh how this game is forcing you to take a better line into the corners and accelerate smoother and straighter out, I always felt like in GTS I could just throw the cars wherever and get gold times, this game is much better in my opinion.

I hate the rally in this game. I'm pretty much done with single player for now because they're forcing me to do things that aren't fun at all. I pray to the gods that they bring back online BoP group 3 racing.

Why didn't they just copy and paste the lobbies and sport mode from GTS? Wasn't that game pretty much a beta/prologue to 7? What was it all for?
Tbh the entire single player thing is a grind for me. I dont want to do any of it, I am just working through it so I can play SPORT properly. Its absolutely soul suckingly boring.

As a player who discovered GT1 when my friend called me over to help him pass the license tests I feel that these are a step back to the original series. Those old tests and then the Mission Challenges that followed were tests that took very good car control and track knowledge to gold. I stuck with all of them and got Gold on the lot, DS4 user.

The GTS tests were super easy, but the ones in GT1 - 4 (never had a PS3 so no 5 or 6) were properly stressful and I think a lot of people forgot how sweaty the grind could be to push for all golds. I also think people forget how useful the tests are to get yourself adapted to the physics engine of the game. Had some I struggled with but found myself surprisingly fast on others.
It's worth spending some time on them as I found a lot of the tricky spots in tracks were covered and a lot of the ways the physics can catch you out were covered.

They are gonna be hard, they are gonna make you want to scream at times for various reasons, but I think they're a good level.

Last edited:
Amazing to see people saying they golded everything so easily. I can't manage one on S license.

I'm using a DS5 and auto. Isit possible to achieve all golds this way or do I have to go manual?

If manual on the DS5 is the way forward what are the best buttons for shifting gears?

So I got through the tests very well, I won't lie Saturday or Sunday I was done with the licenses. I drove every single one to gold and only then switched to the next one.
Many tests were of average difficulty, some far too easy and a few were really difficult. But the bottom line is that I would still like to see a very hard "titanium/diamond" reward/time that would be a lot harder to achieve than gold.

Licences in this game were far easier than GT4. You can actually activate trajectory line, breaking zone which makes it easier.
Times are a lot more permissive too.
Except S10 which took me 2hours to do it(because of water zones spinning, not really because of lack of time.)

You can actually activate trajectory line, breaking zone which makes it easier.
Maybe I'll activate some helps because ATM I am really struggling to gold some tests 😅

Can we activate the demo ghost while doing a test ? And offsetting him a bit so we can learn from his example how to deal with the test ?

Maybe I'll activate some helps because ATM I am really struggling to gold some tests 😅

Can we activate the demo ghost while doing a test ? And offsetting him a bit so we can learn from his example how to deal with the test ?
You can, I did it while offsetting him +0.1s so as soon as he is too far away from you, you can instantly reset.

I’ve found them easier than in past games (I’ve played them all). I have all gold, except the S10 that I’ve tried only once and got a 2:26 on my first attempt.

On Some of the Super licence tests I got gold on my first try too.

I’m on a DualSense atm.

Worse for me was A10 with the AMG cuz I was driving without TCS.

Last edited:
I’ve found them easier than in past games (I’ve played them all). I have all gold, except the S10 that I’ve tried only once and got a 2:26 on my first attempt.

On Some of the Super licence tests I got gold on my first try too.

I’m on a DualSense atm.

Worse for me was A10 with the AMG cuz I was driving without TCS.
DId you eventually got IA-10 with TCS off or On? And if so; which setting from 1 till 5.

This topic is highly subjective, but at least for me I think the difficulty was spot on.
Though I'm using a wheel, so I can see that it's way harder on controller.
I took about 2.5h from start to finish, all Gold. Some were challenging, others not so. But it's only the license tests, so I wouldn't expect them to be super difficult.

I gave the super formula on Laguna a shot.
3 notes:
Super formula was probably my best class on GT sport
Laguna may just be my favorite track
I was in between B/s and A/s in GT sport

Now I thought this would be a breeze for me, but Im SECONDS off from gold. The steering in on the car is so hard. Are others having trouble golding this test?

I am stuck at the Supra for National B final test. 1 tenth off Gold but can't get out of the last corner quick enough.

And rallying just should not be in the tests, like really just go away rallying.
In IB-5, the rally car is on CS tires. A bit weird as the grip is nowhere.

Back